ID - DeOrr Kunz Jr, 2, Timber Creek Campground, 10 July 2015 - #14

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
From listening to true crime radio I've actually learned a lot(the same radio everyone got to hear sb interview from). A PI can do so much more then LE cause they don't have to follow the law. This could actually be a good thing. Of course no one says it that way but seriously a pi is really good in this type of scenario.

Can you explain a little more about your thoughts. How can they not follow the law? I am really lost in this situation. I would love it if a PI could help but I truly don't see what they can do that isn't being done. I believe this case is being worked on we are just not being told. If this PI does work this and does reveal findings then couldn't that jeopardize any case that could be in the works? Has anyone had real life experiences where a PI stepped in and solved a case like this? Jmo and questions.

All I can think is that a PI doesn't have to worry (as much?) about his/her evidence holding up in court. All the PI wants to do is find DeOrr and/or find who is responsible (at least I assume that is the priority). LE has to always be thinking about whether the evidence is admissible in court because they not only want to solve the crime but they also want to be able to turn their findings over to the Prosecutor's Office for (successful) prosecution. It would be sad if they knew that someone did something but they couldn't press charges because the evidence is tainted or would get thrown out in court. For example, a PI isn't obligated to follow the same interrogation rules that LE would need to - a PI could use whatever tactics he/she wants (for example, a PI could go knock on someone's door and have a chat with no lawyer present). However, a person would be under no obligation to cooperate with the PI either, so it works both ways. I'm not sure about collecting any physical evidence - I think it's been too long for that and a PI would not be able to get search warrants or phone records or anything like that anyway. I think the PI's strength will be in talking to people. MOO.

ETA: I hope it doesn't sound like I'm saying a PI can harass people and be unethical - I wasn't trying to imply that... just that they can visit on more informal terms and aren't under the confines of being an officer of the law. Also, I think it's important that they try to keep their evidence admissible, but quite honestly if I hired a PI and he had "questionable" info or even just a hunch that could lead to my child, I would want them to act on that. Even if a guilty person wasn't able to be prosecuted, that would be secondary to finding my child (especially if the child is alive). Not sure if that makes sense... kind of thinking out loud I guess. Take it with a grain of salt. :)

This is an interesting interview with a PI, who explains both the constraints and the freedom under which he works, among other aspects of being a PI. He also explains how he goes about approaching a case. The first thing he does is meet with LE and obtain the case file if possible. If it's not available, he starts building his own. He does have to be concerned with the integrity of the evidence, so that a case can be prosecuted.

What is the biggest difference between being a public officer and being a private detective?The most obvious difference has to do with the law, as it applies differently to members of law enforcement than to private individuals. The scope of what a private detective can do is much narrower, as it should be to protect not only every citizen’s rights but to protect the criminal justice system necessary to prosecute the bad guys. That’s why I work closely with the relevant law enforcement that has jurisdiction of a case during an investigation.
The other side of the coin is that as a private detective, I’m able to devote my efforts to a specific case—a luxury not generally afforded to (police homicide) detectives.

BBM

http://www.vanityfair.com/news/2013/04/detective-ken-brennan-how-to-crack-cold-case

This is an interesting interview with a PI, who explains both the constraints and the freedom under which he works, among other aspects of being a PI. He also explains how he goes about approaching a case. The first thing he does is meet with LE and obtain the case file if possible. If it's not available, he starts building his own. He does have to be concerned with the integrity of the evidence, so that a case can be prosecuted.

What is the biggest difference between being a public officer and being a private detective?The most obvious difference has to do with the law, as it applies differently to members of law enforcement than to private individuals. The scope of what a private detective can do is much narrower, as it should be to protect not only every citizen’s rights but to protect the criminal justice system necessary to prosecute the bad guys. That’s why I work closely with the relevant law enforcement that has jurisdiction of a case during an investigation.
The other side of the coin is that as a private detective, I’m able to devote my efforts to a specific case—a luxury not generally afforded to (police homicide) detectives.

BBM

http://www.vanityfair.com/news/2013/04/detective-ken-brennan-how-to-crack-cold-case

Great insight about working as a PI. I thought this part was interesting too:

"I don’t have an awareness of how I’m able to look at a crime-scene photo that has been previously reviewed countless times by others and see something in it—or maybe not see something in it that should be there—and figure out if or how that plays into other known facts; I just know I’m able to do it."

Sometimes just having another person look at something can bring something to light that wasn't previously noticed. Another set of eyes, especially those of an experienced detective, cannot be a bad thing, IMO. I hope the hired detective agency is able to help with DeOrr's case.

Hey ,,,Just checking in on Deorr to see if there are any new clues or updates.?

Everything I Write Is JMHO ..

Can you explain a little more about your thoughts. How can they not follow the law? I am really lost in this situation. I would love it if a PI could help but I truly don't see what they can do that isn't being done. I believe this case is being worked on we are just not being told. If this PI does work this and does reveal findings then couldn't that jeopardize any case that could be in the works? Has anyone had real life experiences where a PI stepped in and solved a case like this? Jmo and questions.
Nope. Sorry I can't explain. All I can explain is that last night I thought I drink a glass of wine and things got messy. I'm very sorry. I don't even know what I was going on about and I feel slightly stupid. Lol

I think what I was trying to say is that sometimes a pi is a good thing because they might be able go get more people to talk because some people just really dislikes le. And I'm not sure where I was going with the law breaken but whatever lol

The challenge will be to:
allow the evidence to take us where the evidence takes us.
That's not always the easiest thing to do.

Nope. Sorry I can't explain. All I can explain is that last night I thought I drink a glass of wine and things got messy. I'm very sorry. I don't even know what I was going on about and I feel slightly stupid. Lol

I think what I was trying to say is that sometimes a pi is a good thing because they might be able go get more people to talk because some people just really dislikes le. And I'm not sure where I was going with the law breaken but whatever lol

Been there, done that. Thanks giagreen!

For all the mountain lion fanatics here, Nat Geo Wild will be airing a new show about cougars on Friday, Nov 27. http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/wild/big-cat-week/episodes/cougars-undercover/

I saw an ad for this program tonight and it does look good. Large cat predators!! I'm setting a reminder for this.

That said, I don't think the new PI is looking for a furry predator. Can't help but wonder where he's going to investigate. Just what can he find that Idaho LE and the FBI haven't already looked into?

Great insight about working as a PI. I thought this part was interesting too:

"I don’t have an awareness of how I’m able to look at a crime-scene photo that has been previously reviewed countless times by others and see something in it—or maybe not see something in it that should be there—and figure out if or how that plays into other known facts; I just know I’m able to do it."

Sometimes just having another person look at something can bring something to light that wasn't previously noticed. Another set of eyes, especially those of an experienced detective, cannot be a bad thing, IMO. I hope the hired detective agency is able to help with DeOrr's case.

The thing I wonder about if is LE wants to work with a PI who has been hired by one or more of the POI's (or close family members) at this exact point in the ongoing investigation. I hope it is not interfering. I donated. But I worry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting.

If the new PI is truly coming into the case with no preconceived notions, that is a good thing, and different than PI Vilt. I would still like to know why Mr. Vilt quit the case.

I don't think LE has any obligation to give the PI information, but they might, I'm not sure what is typical. I would imagine that the new PI would check in with LE, at least as a courtesy. Not sure about that.

I'll reserve judgement at this point as to whether or not this is a good thing, while hoping that this will somehow help progress the case.
JMO

I don't think they will share info. IMO, JMO. They have their own investigation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I saw an ad for this program tonight and it does look good. Large cat predators!! I'm setting a reminder for this.

That said, I don't think the new PI is looking for a furry predator. Can't help but wonder where he's going to investigate. Just what can he find that Idaho LE and the FBI haven't already looked into?

I kind of wish that the program was on Thanksgiving Day. Perfect post-meal family fun. Yeah, something tells me that the PI isn't going to be interviewing our feline friends. If there IS anything "new" to be looked into, hiring a local PI, or at least one from within the state would make a heck of a lot more sense, IMO!

The PI is already asking for tips. My worry is that what I have seen happen in other cases with PIs will happen here - a load of random tips about little blonde boys that look like DeOrr being sighted all over the world, and the PI flying all over the world to track them down and administer DNA tests. Then the family having to live through false hopes and disappointment after disappointment, and pay more and more money to keep up the search. Even Bowerman said something like please don't call us just because you see a little blonde boy that looks like DeOrr - a lot of them look alike at that age, and we just don't have the resources to follow them all up. Bowerman said that a lot of time at the beginning was wasted chasing shadows that came in as tips from SM. And it will just get worse as time goes on, because no one will even know what DeOrr really looks like any more.

I kind of wish that the program was on Thanksgiving Day. Perfect post-meal family fun. Yeah, something tells me that the PI isn't going to be interviewing our feline friends. If there IS anything "new" to be looked into, hiring a local PI, or at least one from within the state would make a heck of a lot more sense, IMO!

Actually, I watched the promo clip and it's not what I would consider post-meal family fun . . . . Not with a cub having froze to death from the elements of a particularly hard winter :(. . . . . But then again, to each their own!

Kinda off topic, but I was at a gas station here in Vermont yesterday and saw a black jeep Rubicon with Idaho plates. I had a mini freak out, "should I call it in, who do I call..? " Then out came two students from the local college and then I noticed the student car registration sticker for the college on the window lol. I am so glad it took me a minute to find the number to report a tip, otherwise I would have felt like a gigantic a$$!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member