ID - DeOrr Kunz Jr, 2, Timber Creek Campground, 10 July 2015 - #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know what "outhouses" are but never heard the term "pit toilets".

Does that just mean you pick your own spot in the woods and you are supposed to bury when leaving.

Or is there really some sort of designated hole or pit and it is clearly marked for people?

And the dreaded questions:

How deep are they?
Are some deeper than others?
Could it be possible he fell in and is unrecognizable and maybe that is why nobody found him?

Here are images of pit toilets... Exterior and interior...(click below)

Hope this helps...

pit toilets images

ETA... This didn't transfer... I will try again...

I know what "outhouses" are but never heard the term "pit toilets".

Does that just mean you pick your own spot in the woods and you are supposed to bury when leaving.

Or is there really some sort of designated hole or pit and it is clearly marked for people?

And the dreaded questions:

How deep are they?
Are some deeper than others?
Could it be possible he fell in and is unrecognizable and maybe that is why nobody found him?

They are essentially the same thing as outhouses. It's possible for a child to fall in, but IIRC the pit toilets at the campground have already been checked and cleared by LE.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pit_latrine

A pit latrine or pit toilet is a type of toilet that collects human feces in a hole in the ground. They use either no water or one to three liters per flush with pour-flush pit latrines.[SUP][2][/SUP] When properly built and maintained they can decrease the spread of disease by reducing the amount of human feces in the environment from open defecation.[SUP][3][/SUP][SUP][4][/SUP] This decreases the transfer of pathogens between feces and food by flies.[SUP][3][/SUP] These pathogens are major causes of infectious diarrhea and intestinal worm infections.[SUP][4][/SUP] Infectious diarrhea resulted in about 0.7 million deaths in children under five years old in 2011 and 250 million lost school days.[SUP][4][/SUP][SUP][5][/SUP] Pit latrines are the lowest cost method of separating feces from people.[SUP][3][/SUP]
A pit latrine generally consists of three major parts: a hole in the ground, a slab or floor with a small hole, and a shelter.[SUP][2][/SUP] The shelter is often known as an outhouse. The pit is typically at least 3 meters (10 feet) deep and 1 m (3.2 feet) across.[SUP][2][/SUP] The World Health Organization recommends they be built a reasonable distance from the house balancing issues of easy access versus that of smell.[SUP][3][/SUP]The distance from groundwater and surface water should be as large as possible to decrease the risk of groundwater pollution. The hole in the slab should not be larger than 25 centimeters (9.8 inches) to prevent children falling in. Light should be prevented from entering the pit to reduce access by flies. This may require the use of a lid to cover the hole in the floor when not in use.[SUP][3][/SUP] When the pit fills to within 0.5 meters (1.6 feet) of the top, it should be either emptied or a new pit constructed and the shelter moved or re-built at the new location.[SUP][6][/SUP] The management of the fecal sludge removed from the pit is complicated. There are both environment and health risks if not done properly.

They are essentially the same thing as outhouses. It's possible for a child to fall in, but IIRC the pit toilets at the campground have already been checked and cleared by LE.

Thanks.

I agree that LE most likely checked them carefully then. It would be an obvious place that LE would carefully check out.

Outhouses can be a pretty exciting lure for children. I can remember being young and with friends and we always got such a kick out of visiting the "outhouse".

Even if they were portapotties then kids always find them interesting too.

Its a horrible thought but I could envision it being quite difficult to recognize anything at the bottom.

LE most likely pumped it out if it was deep to make sure he wasnt down there.

Let's try this...

Pit Toilet:

http://knowyourparks.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/PICT0304.jpg

Note... They do not flush... It is basically a chemically treated hole in the ground...

and I,too, was concerned about Deorr possibly ending up in a pit toilet...

JMO

Me too.

In cases like this where so much time has passed I find myself wondering if LE maybe first quickly checked it but maybe never went back and did a more thorough checking of it.

I hate to doubt them because surely they would check it very carefully. Although it would be a very difficult task. Hopefully they used pumping trucks to totally empty it. That would be the best way to search something like that. Like using septic tank cleaning trucks that clean out septic tanks.

We have a septic tank and the truck comes out about once every 2 or 3 years and a truck like that would be very good to check it because it could basically empty it out. The hose is a large hose and they would be able to 100 percent know if he was down there or not.

I don't remember reading anything about any pumpers or LE checking them or anything..can u just blindly pump these out when you are looking for a body? Would the chemicals in the hole have accelerated decomposition? Is it a procedure similar to pumping out a septic tank? How big around would the opening of the hose be? Would a 2 year old's body pass through?

Here are images of pit toilets... Exterior and interior...(click below)

Hope this helps...

pit toilets images

ETA... This didn't transfer... I will try again...

Wow I'm always learning here at WS. I never heard of pit toilets!

Me too.

In cases like this where so much time has passed I find myself wondering if LE maybe first quickly checked it but maybe never went back and did a more thorough checking of it.

I hate to doubt them because surely they would check it very carefully. Although it would be a very difficult task. Hopefully they used pumping trucks to totally empty it. That would be the best way to search something like that. Like using septic tank cleaning trucks that clean out septic tanks.

We have a septic tank and the truck comes out about once every 2 or 3 years and a truck like that would be very good to check it because it could basically empty it out. The hose is a large hose and they would be able to 100 percent know if he was down there or not.

BBM - I haven't even wanted to entertain this thought after following the Noah Thomas case, but IIRC, that is exactly what happened in that case. LE did a preliminary look-see and it was only after they called in a company to completely drain the sewer, did they find him. They had been looking for Noah for several days when this finally happened.

Like they just drove for 40minutes. Also I'm not surprised they're no longer talking to media. Last time their every move and word has been analysed

Yes, and unfortunate as it is, the parents are not being treated any differently than any other parents whose child suddenly vanishes. It is a horrible situation, but *IF* they believe he has been kidnapped, then they need to find a way to push through their own feelings and get the word out for this helpless child. Even Ed Smart who I felt was certainly capable of handling the press, had his brother become the spokesperson. Maybe a family friend or relative could offer to help them so they can get word out to national news/media and still maintain a shield against the press. Let me reiterate - IF they feel little DeOrr has been kidnapped. If not, then there is nothing they have to do except cooperate with LE which according to latest reports, they have been doing. JMO

Are we even sure no one left the campsite with Deorr in a vehicle after parents went exploring and then returned without him before they returned?

I don't remember reading anything about any pumpers or LE checking them or anything..can u just blindly pump these out when you are looking for a body? Would the chemicals in the hole have accelerated decomposition? Is it a procedure similar to pumping out a septic tank? How big around would the opening of the hose be? Would a 2 year old's body pass through?

I dont remember any of the articles talking about LE searching them. I suppose its not the most pleasant subject so maybe it was purposely withheld.

I am familiar with the cleaning trucks that clean septic tanks and YES a truck like that could easily clean out an outhouse pit toilet.

They have a very long hose which is wide diameter. The hose can reach about 50-100 feet from the truck and the diameter is about 8 inch or so diameter hose. It is very flexible and they just lower 1 end into the hole and the engine on the truck is a powerful suction pump.

Something as large as a 2 year old boy would not fit through so they would know if they ran into something like that.
They use flashlights too if they hit anything that clogs the end of the hose.

They are very efficient and work well at cleaning out any type of septic tank or pit toilet.

They could totally empty a pit toilet or outhouse in about 10 minutes so it would be the thing to do in order to make sure he is not down there.

I dont think he would be so decomposed that he would not be recognized but its a good question because the longer the days go by and with his frgile bones then a strong truck like that would have to be careful when cleaning it out.

I dont remember any of the articles talking about LE searching them. I suppose its not the most pleasant subject so maybe it was purposely withheld.

I am familiar with the cleaning trucks that clean septic tanks and YES a truck like that could easily clean out an outhouse pit toilet.

They have a very long hose which is wide diameter. The hose can reach about 50-100 feet from the truck and the diameter is about 8 inch or so diameter hose. It is very flexible and they just lower 1 end into the hole and the engine on the truck is a powerful suction pump.

Something as large as a 2 year old boy would not fit through so they would know if they ran into something like that.
They use flashlights too if they hit anything that clogs the end of the hose.

They are very efficient and work well at cleaning out any type of septic tank or pit toilet.

They could totally empty a pit toilet or outhouse in about 10 minutes so it would be the thing to do in order to make sure he is not down there.

I dont think he would be so decomposed that he would be sucked up the hose but its a good question because the longer the days go by and with his fragile bones then a strong truck like that would have to be careful when cleaning it out.

Can someone help me. Am I able to say my beliefs as long as I state it is my opinion? Does it have to fall under the allowable subjects? Can I give a scenario that I believe happened from the timeline? Not sure how implicating a bird, mountain lion, stranger, or other source is different than some people at the campsite.

Hi Fitzrobin,

Welcome to Websleuths.

We do welcome all opinions as long as they are reasonable. Yes you can use a wild animal in your scenario since they were camping.

You can't pick some random person, name them, then accuse them of being a suspect.

Please do not insinuate the parents are suspects since law enforcement has said they are cooperating therefore any scenario involving the parents as guilty parties is off limits.

If you are really worried you are welcome to send a private message with a copy of your post to myself or any of the other moderators such as Coldpizza, bessie, and tlcya

I hope this helps.

Tricia

Yes, and unfortunate as it is, the parents are not being treated any differently than any other parents whose child suddenly vanishes. It is a horrible situation, but *IF* they believe he has been kidnapped, then they need to find a way to push through their own feelings and get the word out for this helpless child. Even Ed Smart who I felt was certainly capable of handling the press, had his brother become the spokesperson. Maybe a family friend or relative could offer to help them so they can get word out to national news/media and still maintain a shield against the press. Let me reiterate - IF they feel little DeOrr has been kidnapped. If not, then there is nothing they have to do except cooperate with LE which according to latest reports, they have been doing. JMO

Excellent point about appointing a family spokesperson. I think that is a very wise thing to do.

I can't find the link right now but it has been stated on here that the authorities drained the vault toilets in the initial search.

A possible scenario for no new news: Maybe LE is onto something and want to keep it quiet.

I posted this on a SM page being used by the family and the response was the parents will not give any interviews because of the reverse speech analysis that was done. If my child were missing and I believed them to be abducted, I think I would be looking beyond what people think of me and I would be getting the word out to anyone who would listen to me! That's just me thinking out loud...but a family member (aunt/uncle) or close friend could be speaking for the parents to get the word out to the masses that this boy is missing, especially if the family believes he was abducted. Posters on the internet is not enough.

"Typically in a case where abduction may be speculated at all, aren't the parents and LE usually all over media giving details to help identify a child? I'm just thinking out loud. I have only seen posters here on FB but have seen nothing further in the mainstream media regarding an abduction since the initial interview. No press conferences broadcast. I'm just concerned details/description of the child aren't reaching the masses beyond FB. I might be out in left field here I'm not sure."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member