ID - DeOrr Kunz Jr, 2, Timber Creek Campground, 10 July 2015 - #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't they stay at the campgrounds to wait on news?

I think it is certainly news to find their homes and vehicles have been searched. We need to find out if there were search warrants and figure out how to obtain them. It would be a nice thing for the one outlet to do, but they are taking the high road with the parents so I doubt they will request them.

You mean we need to figure out how to obtain the search warrants? To me that would be sleuthing them which isn't allowed. Or do you mean we need to figure out if they'd been executed?

I think they were at the site for awhile but (imo) it's possible they did go home at some point. Aren't they at home now?

Mountain lion is my second favorite theory in this case!
Evidently, the FBI and LE have that one a bit farther down on their list if they are searching their homes and vehicles.

I don't buy into the mountain lion theory. Even if it did happen to another child and the circumstances have some parallels, this case has some interesting things starting to come together and paint a very different picture than a wild animal attack.

You mean we need to figure out how to obtain the search warrants? To me that would be sleuthing them which isn't allowed. Or do you mean we need to figure out if they'd been executed?

I think they were at the site for awhile but (imo) it's possible they did go home at some point. Aren't they at home now?
Yes. Executed. Those are public and the searches were mentioned in MSM. Correct? I haven't tried looking up records in ID that I can recall. Some states make it easier to find things like SWs than others.

(I corrected my earlier post to clarify my meaning. Thanks.)

Where did the idea of search warrants being executed originate? Are we certain they didn't voluntarily allow searches of these places and things?

Search warrants would mean that LE had probable cause and such warrants would have to be approved by a judge prior to being executed. If there were warrants, then those documents would not be available to the public because at this point nobody has been charged with a crime and formally arraigned in regards to the case.

Yes, and the child was taken to a location that was, I believe, three miles away. Yep, no drag marks, no blood, no prints, no noise, NOTHING! He simply vanished, just-like-that!

Another poster questioned about possible avoidance of the lions by search dogs but don't know if this was what she meant.

Amazing!

I wondered if the search dogs would avoid the scent of a lion, way back when. I believe the dogs are either "trained" that way, OR the dogs are afraid of the lion scent - with very good reason. A cougar can rip a dog to shreds. It is also a possible reason that Paulides says so many dogs appear frightened or refuse to hunt in many missing people cases. I believe he, and the S&R people he's talked to are hiding their heads in the sand in many if these cases, but that's only MY opinion.

Lion dogs, on the other hand, are bred and trained for this sort of thing, but their owner is very careful to call them off once a cat is treed in case it comes down and tears them up. I also mentioned lion dogs early on.

I don't understand why people are so skeptical of big cat kills/attacks, they have been happening since this country was settled by our ancestors, and probably long before that. I have not read much about cougar attacks on Native Americans, but there were a lot on the early settlers - there are cases of cougars going into a cabin after someone.

Edited to add a big thank you for that post and the link. I also want to say, check out the Jared Atadero case. It's just about the same thing, and even after the "experts" said it was a lion, people don't want to believe it.

Where did the idea of search warrants being executed originate? Are we certain they didn't voluntarily allow searches of these places and things?
That is my question. Were there search warrants? It isn't often LE or the FBI conduct voluntary searches instead of with warrants due to problems later, imo. A warrant guarantees any evidence recovered was obtained legally and will stand up in court.

Evidently, the FBI and LE have that one a bit farther down on their list if they are searching their homes and vehicles. Pretty sure no mountain lion hid him in their house or left clues there. ;)

I don't buy into the mountain lion theory. Even if it did happen to another child and the circumstances have some parallels, this case has some interesting things starting to come together and paint a very different picture than a wild animal attack.

You may be right. However, if things don't come together well enough for an arrest and/or SOLID conviction, my money's on the cougar.

Search warrants would mean that LE had probable cause and such warrants would have to be approved by a judge prior to being executed. If there were warrants, then those documents would not be available to the public because at this point nobody has been charged with a crime and formally arraigned in regards to the case.
We have seen other search warrants served on people who were not charged with a crime, but you could be right as they could be held back from public as different Sunshine Laws will keep them as ongoing investigation material.

Yes. Executed. Those are public and the searches were mentioned in MSM. Correct? I haven't tried looking up records in ID that I can recall. Some states make it easier to find things like SWs than others.

(I corrected my earlier post to clarify my meaning. Thanks.)

I haven't seen them mentioned in MSM but I haven't read every article. I'm not sure if that would count as sleuthing the parents or not. If the search warrants were mentioned that's one thing and you can talk about it, but I have no idea if the content of the warrants would have been mentioned in MSM or if it's okay to talk about here. (My guess is no, even if you can find them online.)

Well, let's hope they had warrants. It would save a lot of admissibility issues if they found something that they wanted to use later at a trial. It seems very reasonable to search the home of a missing child and the vehicles of his mother and father, not suspicious at all.

The parents do not set off any red flags for me. They seem to be just regular folks who love their family and something horrible has happened to their child whom they love with all their hearts.

We have seen other search warrants served on people who were not charged with a crime, but you could be right as they could be held back from public as different Sunshine Laws will keep them as ongoing investigation material.

Yes they usually precede any arrest but I don't think they are records searchable under any person's name making them nearly impossible to locate. If there are in fact search warrants...then that would likely mean they were planning on filing charges. They not only have to prove probable cause to a judge but they have to list what it is specifically they are searching for. Also, the accompanying affidavit would likely have many details and purported facts leading LE to believe the individual(s) is guilty of a crime.

I haven't seen them mentioned in MSM but I haven't read every article. I'm not sure if that would count as sleuthing the parents or not. If the search warrants were mentioned that's one thing and you can talk about it, but I have no idea if the content of the warrants would have been mentioned in MSM or if it's okay to talk about here. (My guess is no, even if you can find them online.)
DeOrr’s parents confirm they have been in contact with the FBI and, according to Kunz, investigators have searched their house and vehicles.
http://www.eastidahonews.com/2015/07/parents-of-deorr-kunz-we-pray-our-lil-man-will-be-found/

bbm

Maybe you are right, but I guess we would need a mod call on it. The searches were mentioned by the parent so it isn't anything they are trying to hide.

Well, let's hope they had warrants. It would save a lot of admissibility issues if they found something that they wanted to use later at a trial. It seems very reasonable to search the home of a missing child and the vehicles of his mother and father, not suspicious at all.

The parents do not set off any red flags for me. They seem to be just regular folks who love their family and something horrible has happened to their child whom they love with all their hearts.

Many investigators feel the way you do about wanting a search warrant but as long as they give permission for a search any possible evidence should be admissible if Miranda warnings were given.

And yeah, if investigators hadn't thought to search their cars and vehicles, that would be ridiculous. Fully investigating the parents had to be one of the first things they did.

FYI: Search warrants are a matter of public record unless they are sealed.

DeOrr's parents are persons of interest according to the Sheriff. If search warrants of any of their property or vehicles has been executed, I am assuming it was done with a search warrant.

JMO

Is it common that "Persons of Interest" have their house and vehicles searched?

It seems the investigation has turned somewhat, at least according to what LE was putting out there. Before the parents were supposedly not under suspicion, "good" with the sheriff, "solid", and so on. They may not be official suspects, but LE must have suspicion of something or they wouldn't be searching these places.

If they are parents of a missing kid? I would think LE would be negligent not to fully search and investigate them. How else can they be ruled out?

FYI: Search warrants are a matter of public record unless they are sealed.

DeOrr's parents are persons of interest according to the Sheriff. If search warrants of any of their property or vehicles has been executed, I am assuming it was done with a search warrant.

JMO

I understand they are public (the post I was responding to was about how to locate/obtain them), but I don't know if we would be allowed to discuss them here (other than to say they exist). If you can find them maybe PM a mod before discussing the details, unless you know it's okay because they're public record.

I'm sure we're all curious what's in them but we don't want to kill this thread. :)

I am so confused tonight on what we can and cannot discuss. I guess I will spend the rest of the night deleting my comments. lol :gaah:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member