Found Deceased ID - Joshua Vallow, 7, & Tylee Ryan, 16, Rexburg, Sept 2019 *Arrests* #54

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The way I read this incident is that a red flag popped up for DW during Lori telling the lie about JJ and the cabinets. It was whilst Lori was talking about it that DW cast his 'expert' eyes over said cabinets and couldn't detect any damage.

Whether DW is odd or not doesn't change the above event, nor my opinion.

Sorry if the above comes across as rather abrupt, it's not intended that way.

I totally get where you're coming from, and your comment doesn't come across as abrupt--just honest. I appreciate your posts.

I just question DW's intent when he said it. And, I question DW's honesty as well.

It seems to me that DW was throwing the blame over to Lori--and yes, she's a murderer--but, I would not be surprised to learn in the future that DW is in the camp of people who think the poor, innocent CD was charmed by LV's evil, cunning ways.

I just have not been able to shake the sick feeling I got when I watched DW's testimony--at the end, Prior thanks him for his testimony--and CD nods his head in agreement, as though DW did what he was supposed to do.

Now, I hear DW's cockamamie story about how he doubted Lori's tale based on "not even a scuff" being present and I get an even stronger feeling that DW has an agenda. I hope I'm wrong, but from where I sit, DW appears to be laying the groundwork for a CD defense. JMOO, of course.

I just have not been able to shake the sick feeling I got when I watched DW's testimony--at the end, Prior thanks him for his testimony--and CD nods his head in agreement, as though DW did what he was supposed to do.
Sure is a bit weird for Chad to nod at that point. Also, the dumber/simpler he acts, the more likely people are to point the finger at Lori as the real villain. Poor old Chad, so misled.

I'm needing a little help either catching up or understanding. TIA.

I have on my calendar that there is a hearing for motion to dismiss on 10/29, and a motion re change of venue on 11/24.

Shouldn't a hearing on combining/severing the cases precede the 11/24 change of venue? I thought that Chad wanted them severed, and Lori said okie dokey with them together.

Have I missed a date on my calendar as I thought that was something the judge should have addressed already? Am I missing something in my notes as to that date, not understanding the logic?

I have on my calendar that there is a hearing for motion to dismiss on 10/29, and a motion re change of venue on 11/24.

Shouldn't a hearing on combining/severing the cases precede the 11/24 change of venue? I thought that Chad wanted them severed, and Lori said okie dokey with them together.

Have I missed a date on my calendar as I thought that was something the judge should have addressed already? Am I missing something in my notes as to that date, not understanding the logic?
So I know since LV just pled not guilty, she has 28 days after the pleading to submit any pre-trial motions her lawyer deems necessary, so I believe the joinder motion cant be ruled on until after that date

Idaho Court Rule - Rule 12. Pleadings and Motions Before Trial; Defenses and Objections.
(d)Motion Date- Motions under Rule 12(b) must be filed within 28 days after the entry of a plea of not guilty or seven days before trial whichever is earlier. In felony cases, motions under Rule 12(b) must be brought on for hearing within 14 days after filing or 48 hours before trial, whichever is earlier. The court may shorten or enlarge the time and, for good cause shown or for excusable neglect, may relieve a party of failure to comply with this rule.

So it's at the court's decretion when to decide on the motion for joinder, so it looks like it could be a while before they make a ruling. I've been checking the record like once a week but I haven't seen any new court dates added yet, IMO it'll be easier for the prosecution to win their case if the joinder motion is granted so I'm eagerly waiting on the Judges ruling too

While I realize everywhere I've ever been that has space above the cabinets isn't Lori's apartment . . . I find it odd there was no visible dust from that supposed incident. Jmo

Hadn’t she just moved in? I would expect the place to be relatively clean, assuming the management company wasn’t Roaches ‘R’ Us, LLC.

Here's my notes - and yes - you are missing the stuff I bolded in red down below.

9/9/20: Defense files Objection to Motion for Joinder. 9/14/20 Update: Notice of hearings: Motion to Dismiss on 10/29/20 @ 9am. Motion hearing re case joinders on 10/29/20 @ 10am & Motion for Change of Venue on 11/24/20 @ 9am.

I also have a note about a 12/8 hearing, but don't have what it pertains to?? Anyone? dixiegirl?

edited to add - found some more notes about the 12/8 hearing:

8/25/20 Update: Pretrial hearing on 12/10 has been changed to 12/8/20 at 10am before Judge Steven W. Boyce.

Here's my notes - and yes - you are missing the stuff I bolded in red down below.

9/9/20: Defense files Objection to Motion for Joinder. 9/14/20 Update: Notice of hearings: Motion to Dismiss on 10/29/20 @ 9am. Motion hearing re case joinders on 10/29/20 @ 10am & Motion for Change of Venue on 11/24/20 @ 9am.

I also have a note about a 12/8 hearing, but don't have what it pertains to?? Anyone? dixiegirl?
@Niner I honestly don't know what we would do without you! Thank you for the update on the trial dates, I will certainly be making a google calendar reminder for this so I get to hear the arguments. Im hopeful the motion for joinder will be granted given the time, resources, and monetary costs separate trials would require

With this down time waiting for the next round of hearings and the trials, I had some thoughts starting with the lawyers' strategies and their fees. As we know, a lawyer's inventory is time and the meter runs for every meeting, appearance, motion, phone call, email, etc. Obviously we're not privy to CD or LV's financial situation nor what arrangements they made with their lawyers, but the bills have to be through the roof right now and the trials haven't even started. If murder/conspiracy charges come down, the meter(s) will go into over-drive and after that these lawyers may got to work on appeals and/or possible mis-trials, etc.

As it stands now, CD and LV have only been charged for concealment/destruction of evidence so I'd have to guess that the lawyers' time and strategies are mainly focused on just those charges. Although most of the evidence and witnesses would be the same for more serious charges, would it make sense that the lawyer are already looking into the future or would they only be looking at at the matters at hand? Assuming murder charges come down, would the defense lawyers then have to re-do their strategies? I'm not sure of Idaho law but if DP comes into the picture, lawyers who specialize in DP cases may have to added to the defense(s).

The courts have already scheduled trial dates for their current charges. I believe the perps are already considered flight risks, and the prosecution would not take a chance of the perps being acquitted of these charges and be allowed to walk without facing murder charges. In fairness to the courts' scheduling and those in the legal system who would be involved, I'd guess that they will be charged for murder/conspiracy well in advance of the current trial dates. My guess is that this will come before December or maybe sooner. I'd also guess the current charges would be combined and new trial dates would have to be scheduled well into the future.

The next couple of months could be interesting.

With this down time waiting for the next round of hearings and the trials, I had some thoughts starting with the lawyers' strategies and their fees. As we know, a lawyer's inventory is time and the meter runs for every meeting, appearance, motion, phone call, email, etc. Obviously we're not privy to CD or LV's financial situation nor what arrangements they made with their lawyers, but the bills have to be through the roof right now and the trials haven't even started. If murder/conspiracy charges come down, the meter(s) will go into over-drive and after that these lawyers may got to work on appeals and/or possible mis-trials, etc.

As it stands now, CD and LV have only been charged for concealment/destruction of evidence so I'd have to guess that the lawyers' time and strategies are mainly focused on just those charges. Although most of the evidence and witnesses would be the same for more serious charges, would it make sense that the lawyer are already looking into the future or would they only be looking at at the matters at hand? Assuming murder charges come down, would the defense lawyers then have to re-do their strategies? I'm not sure of Idaho law but if DP comes into the picture, lawyers who specialize in DP cases may have to added to the defense(s).

The courts have already scheduled trial dates for their current charges. I believe the perps are already considered flight risks, and the prosecution would not take a chance of the perps being acquitted of these charges and be allowed to walk without facing murder charges. In fairness to the courts' scheduling and those in the legal system who would be involved, I'd guess that they will be charged for murder/conspiracy well in advance of the current trial dates. My guess is that this will come before December or maybe sooner. I'd also guess the current charges would be combined and new trial dates would have to be scheduled well into the future.

The next couple of months could be interesting.
I don't know if this is how every law firm does it, but at the criminal defense firm, I worked at, for big trial cases my boss charged a flat fee to cover all the work of the trial rather then hourly billing. We didn't have any homicide cases while I was there, but we did have a big case involving a step-dad being accused of child sexual contact and I know the fee was around $150,000 for everything. This is a much bigger case and the DP is on the table so I assume its a much higher fee, but I can't say for sure.

The most important focus would be the current charges, but I believe because the future charges seem so certain the attorneys very likely have a strategy for when they hit or at least they should. Its likely they have a plan for both scenarios. By this point, they should have met with their clients on multiple occasions and hammered out all of the details of what happened so they should be very aware/prepared for what charges are likely and how to proceed in the event new charges come. I would guess because the lawyers know its a possibility theyve probably at least consulted with attorneys DP experience.

The biggest potential hiccups I foresee, from the defense perspective, will come from getting the results of all the forensic tests back. If the evidence contradicts their current defense or perhaps they find from the results their client hasn't shared the whole truth then theyd have to rethink their stragerty

snipped for focus
I'm not sure of Idaho law but if DP comes into the picture, lawyers who specialize in DP cases may have to added to the defense(s).

Pardon my legal ignorance! What does DP mean, deferred prosecution?

The longer this goes, the less I feel we'll be seeing any murder charges. The "Alex" equation (in my opinion) virtually removes them from the list. His phone pings at LV's right before they disappear and also at CD's yard right after.

We all know both LV and CD are complicit, but can they prove either one was involved beyond a reasonable doubt since Alex was there? I worry they cannot.

I don't have anything in my notes that these cases the DA is seeking the DP. For conspiracy? Do you have a link to the DP the DA said he would seek?
Whoops sorry I didnt mean to imply they definitely would be seeking the DP, I was bringing it up as a possibility if murder charges get filed. This case has been so wild I dont think theirs anything definitely on or off the table at the poinbt

The longer this goes, the less I feel we'll be seeing any murder charges. The "Alex" equation (in my opinion) virtually removes them from the list. His phone pings at LV's right before they disappear and also at CD's yard right after.

We all know both LV and CD are complicit, but can they prove either one was involved beyond a reasonable doubt since Alex was there? I worry they cannot.

I can't see a jury believing AxC would have been on a rampage and kill LV's children without both being involved. Prosecution will show a jury that LV didn't show up court to produce her children, was tracked down and extradited but wouldn't say a word about the welfare of the kids. It will be shown that she had a weird bond with AxC, got involved in CD's doomsday cult, had numerous burner phones, they lied to police, lied to friends and family, and a jury sill see that LV was never distraught about her kids being missing. They were both tight lipped when they ran off to Hawaii and were found with possession of her kids' iPads and birth certificates. LV was constantly moving, gave back JJ's dog and later dis-enrolled him at school, stored the kids' memorabilia in a locker, believed in killing zombies and then the kid's were found dead and buried in CD's back yard,. Whew!!!! This is just a partial list that can go on and on and a jury can't find any of this as normal.

Hopefully, circumstances of both CV's and TD's murders and insurance proceeds can be shown as motive and that thier deaths can be tied to this case. If that's allowed, prosecution could bring up the fact that LV purchased wedding rings and a dress weeks prior to TD death. With the FBI involved along with the technology they have, I'm confident that there is plenty of digital and physical evidence that is being held back or is still being investigated.

It's been said several times that if this hadn't evolved into such a high-profile case and with just the evidence that we do know about, a jury could easily convict them both right now. With time on their hands, prosecution is simply making sure they get things right. The evidence and timelines can easily show premeditation and with the grisly way the kids were found, the two of them will stay behind bars for life or even possibly get the DP.

@JolietJake I agree. The video footage from the storage unit is absolutely chilling now. I see the actions of LVD and CD in those clips as being completely complicit in the murder of Tylee and JJ. With absolute lack of conscience.

I am interested in the first attorney LVD and CD had...even with attorney-client privilege, is there any way that he could be called as a witness for the prosecution? With information about the dates that he was hired by CD and LVD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
birdistheword14