Found Deceased ID - Joshua Vallow, 7, & Tylee Ryan, 17, Rexburg, Sept 2019 *mom, arrested* #24

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The 'white camps' thing.
I was wondering about this and the only thing I can think is that it's referring to 'white tent' camps or places of refuge that are talked about in some of the prepper/dream/visions and NDE future event books. There were some who claimed that they 'saw' seas of white tents and the people living in them because their homes had been destroyed by floods and earthquakes. This was a big deal, talked about a lot on the forums several years ago when people at AVOW and Chad's associates were insistent that there would be what they called a 'call out' and everyone who had a years supply of food etc. would pack up and go live in these tent cities so they could be spared from the tribulations. There were also rumors where they claimed the church was buying up white tents, which they used to support their dreams/visions. Of course nothing came of the rumors or the dreams, but to me it suggests that Chad is keeping the belief in these dreams alive, MOO
Yes, the quote comes from "The Dream of the Plagues" published in 1884:
"...Near this tent was another, a round wall tent, about thirty feet in diameter, and nearly as high as the first. This was clean and white. Leaving a space of about a hundred yards from these central tents were hundreds of small rectangular wall tents in rows, reaching as far as the surrounding trees, each tent clean and white, and appearing to be of a size suited to the wants of an ordinary family..."

So these could either be called tent cities, white tent cities, or just white cities. I imagine in their elitist narcissistic minds, "white cities" sounded the best :rolleyes: since it maybe didn't carry the connotation of a homeless or jail camp (ala Arpaio's tent cities in AZ). Moo.
Edited to correct the title of the publication.

Missionary young men are just the most courteous and genuinely joy-filled people--in my opinion. I don't know the name they give--but my brother was someone who would have all the young men on missions over to his house...kindof like to just "chill" and "chat"... I honestly can see why Mormons with mission background are the most dutiful Customer Service Professionals!!!
I wouldn’t be rude to them, especially after all what I have learned in this forum I would probably welcome them in. I think we must just be in the wrong area. I think we’ve had 5 Groups of JW call in the last 20years. I don’t know why but it might be that we have dogs...but they run off quickly (JW not the dogs). It might also be that 2 out of three of my sons have visible tattoos. I’m really not sure but we dont see many of them and I’ve never had any LDS knock.

I have no doubt LV wants to be out of jail. If legally possible I agree her attorney will file for another bail reduction hearing. Or maybe that "Free Lori" FB page has started a fund for her, lol... maybe they have deep pockets. (j/k) IF she should be allowed out of jail, I hope she isn't allowed to be near any of CD's family... especially not the grandchildren. Her attorney must convince the judge she is not a danger to anyone... I'd love to see his argument to prove it.

However, there certainly are plenty of writings within the church that encourage
this behavior-- praying, getting closer to God through visions and revelations... I think it is rather easy to see where it all begins...
Yes, we are encouraged to pray and read scriptures regularly and we believe in the gifts of the spirit so we try to be guided by the spirit in our daily lives and receiving personal revelation is an important aspect of that. But, doing this in their daily lives, most members don't end up in fringey weird sects.
From what I've read of people who get involved in these groups, they start down a road where they are receiving revelations which contradict sound doctrine and instead of questioning the source, they throw out the sound doctrine and believe the 'not quite right' stuff instead. Once they start doing that, it is just down hill from there as their 'revelations' take them further and further away from the basic foundational doctrines of the church. Unless they start to question their choices and the 'messages' they are receiving, they'll end up far away. That's where having a Church prophet and leaders and attending regular church meetings helps people stay grounded in sound doctrine. MOO

I wouldn’t be rude to them, especially after all what I have learned in this forum I would probably welcome them in. I think we must just be in the wrong area. I think we’ve had 5 Groups of JW call in the last 20years. I don’t know why but it might be that we have dogs...but they run off quickly (JW not the dogs). It might also be that 2 out of three of my sons have visible tattoos. I’m really not sure but we dont see many of them and I’ve never had any LDS knock.

My kids all served missions, my youngest is presently serving in the great state of Texas! She loves visiting with people and says that where they are, people are so kind and friendly when they answer their doors. They often just share a scripture about Jesus, if they aren't interested in hearing about the LDS church.

Yes, we are encouraged to pray and read scriptures regularly and we believe in the gifts of the spirit so we try to be guided by the spirit in our daily lives and receiving personal revelation is an important aspect of that. But, doing this in their daily lives, most members don't end up in fringey weird sects.
From what I've read of people who get involved in these groups, they start down a road where they are receiving revelations which contradict sound doctrine and instead of questioning the source, they throw out the sound doctrine and believe the 'not quite right' stuff instead. Once they start doing that, it is just down hill from there as their 'revelations' take them further and further away from the basic foundational doctrines of the church. Unless they start to question their choices and the 'messages' they are receiving, they'll end up far away. That's where having a Church prophet and leaders and attending regular church meetings helps people stay grounded in sound doctrine. MOO
I read an excellent expose by an individual who is really aware of history of and who these key fringe leaders are.... All smart people, and all, of course, lived and grew up an LDS upbringing. But this was the best quote; We had one person say to us that this is a hydra-cult. There’s many heads on this beast and when you cut off one head, two more pop up in its place. I completely agree with this sentiment.

Hi, I've been lurking here, following the Vallow/Daybell case very closely as I'm a local and know Chris Parrett & his family as acquaintances.

I have a unique perspective to this whole case as I was raised by people who believed similarly to Chad Daybell. We were not part of a splinter group, I was raised within the mainstream structure of the church.

Is believing in reincarnation compatible with the LDS doctrine? I don't know how these people can still claim to be LDS.

I disagree. Those who believe this way believe they are in line with LDS doctrine. In fact, they believe it's a purer form of LDS doctrine only available to those willing to study and uncover the special mysteries god has prepared for them.

There's a book available on Amazon and there's also a free PDF on the internet. I don't think I'm allowed to link. I don't think I've seen it mentioned here. It's called "Doctrine of Eternal Lives." The author is anonymous as he/she didn't really write anything, just collected scriptures and quotes from prophets that support the idea of "reincarnation." These things are not taught openly from the pulpit or in church classrooms today.

My parents argue that these things are still taught, but you have to listen closely to conference talks to figure out what's really being said.

I was told that the church didn't teach this doctrine anymore because the church is under condemnation as declared by President Benson.

I was taught that it wasn't "reincarnation" like the Hindus believe, but a plan of progression, building upon whatever you achieve in the previous life. So you wouldn't go backwards or be reborn randomly.

Lori's claim that she was Joseph Smith's grandmother and sealed to Moroni is pretty wild, though. My parents never made any claims like that. Although my parents thought we might be our own grandparents if you went back far enough in your family line on this world. I was also taught that we progress through the eternities, including through the three kingdoms. My father in particular claims that all of these things were once taught from the pulpit and were keystones to mormonism, though nowadays bringing up progression through the kingdoms is a great way to start a fight in gospel doctrine class at church.

I don't know how common this kind of belief is because it's also treated with a lot of sacred secretness. I was told specifically not to bring any of this up in any of my church classes, nor to tell anyone (especially anyone who might be struggling) in case the knowledge that this life was not their only chance might stop them from trying to remain temple worthy.

BBM. Quite the plug for his forum, imho. Gotta keep his members interested, or even get some new ones, right? <snip>

Chris Parrett is a really interesting person. His in-person social skills are really lacking. It feels like he is always laughing at you.

His emails to his LDS AVOW subscribers are very dramatic. All caps and lots of bolded, red text, and highlighted all over the place. When we were members of his forum it felt like they had a new date that Jesus was coming every other month. People stayed in a constant state of fear and anxiety because of this.

I get the sense that he maybe doesn't buy into the end of days stuff but is truly delighted that so many others do.

I think Chris stands to benefit a lot if Chad isn't convicted or is exonerated. Chad has posited himself as basically a prophet, seer, revelator of the last days. Chris has loudly proclaimed him innocent and also claims special insider knowledge (says he was on the phone with Chad and Lori for hours). If Chad walks, there are many, many LDS AVOW members and supporters who will take this as proof of their fringe beliefs. ie Chad is being persecuted by a corrupt government, there are 'Gadianton robbers' (see Book of Mormon beliefs) trying to bring Chad down because he's teaching truth about the latter days, etc.

In any case, just to be clear, I will reiterate that the LDS Church does not teach MMP or reincarnation and it is not considered by the LDS Church to be compatible with their doctrine.

They don't teach it anymore. They used to, though. It wasn't ever called reincarnation. See the "Doctrine of Eternal Lives" book.

I don't know what I believe anymore, but I still think the doctrine of eternal lives has some beautiful ideas. Eternity is an awful long time. If there is a loving father/god/creator, and he truly wants us to have all that he has, cutting us off after one mortal probation with so many growing up without the gospel and leaving us forever in a lesser kingdom, separated from our families doesn't make a lot of sense. Living forever and ever and ever in a cloudy heaven playing a harp doesn't make a lot of sense either. There's a part of me that will always rather like the idea of being born again and accumulating an eternity of different experiences. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

<snip>I’m grateful I am learning about [these fringe groups] so as to watch out for people who might subscribe to these outlandish beliefs, that I might be able to warn them about how wrong these beliefs are.<snip>

I'm afraid you won't know if you come across anyone who subscribes to these "outlandish beliefs" because the secrecy is generally very high. Mysteries of the universe, dreams, and visions are often treated with the same sacredness as the temple endowment. There were lots of things my parents wouldn't talk to us about unless we were sitting in the Celestial room.

People with these beliefs will attend church with you, sit on your row, teach your RS and EQ classes, serve in your bishoprics. You'll never know.

Chad was unusual in this regard because he published his stuff and participated in these forums. My parents never would have done either of those things.

If you do unearth someone who believes this sort of thing, good luck warning them or persuading them otherwise. There are a LOT of quotes from scripture and LDS prophets to back these beliefs up, and most that ascribe to this higher-law way of thinking aren't going to listen to someone who hasn't unlocked the mysteries themselves because you are lower on the progression ladder.

If someone has been raised from birth to believe these things, the programming goes very, very deep and is very difficult to separate from mainstream teachings.

So how do the likes of Chad and others get away with it without being ex'd? <snip>

You don't get excommunicated until you've published something or have been publicly outspoken in ways that directly oppose the church's leadership. Chad's books were all fictionalized so he was able to fly under the radar in that regard. Folks who attended his signings or speaking events were already on the same page. Weirdly, if you're trying to stop child abuse within the church you will get ex'd quickly and publicly. See Bishop Sam Young.

If Chad is found guilty of breaking the law, he will likely face church discipline. But just belonging to AVOW or believing in the doctrine of eternal lives (reincarnation) won't get you ex'd. In fact you can be a Bishop, Stake Pres, High Councilman, Area Authority, Mission President etc. and have these beliefs. I have personal experience with men in my life who have been all of those things and believe in the doctrine of eternal lives.

<snip>Are there "accepted" alternative Mormon groups/orgs that just want to get back to original teachings that some people belong? (rather than just be lumped in as fringe groups)

No. There's just the one mainstream church. However, no one really considers themselves "fringe" within the LDS church. They just believe themselves to be living a higher law. Even the groups that actually splinter from the mainstream church believe they are leaving to live a more pure, more true version of the restored gospel: Latter Day Saint movement - Wikipedia

Here's the key to understanding people like Daybell: They TRULY believe they have uncovered the mysteries of the universe. They truly believe they have been given a higher light and knowledge than their peers. Money, greed, sex, may come to play a part but in the beginning, those aren't the motivating reasons. The reasons are because they were special and more righteous than most and have divine and foreordained callings to fulfill. Allll mormons believe we have divine purpose and foreordained callings (as in missions given in the prexistence before we were born), some just believe it more hardcore than others.

My parents taught us that the reduction in teaching the eternal progression from the pulpit was to protect the main membership of the church who were not ready for these things. In the minds of my parents, the lord has "pulled back" the restored gospel so we won't be in worse condemnation for not following all of it. This lesser gospel is therefore a blessing to the LDS mainstream masses who don't have the whole truth. (The LDS church in all of its forms is very big on truth claims).

My parents also claim end days visions and dreams, and several men I've worked with have full on prophesied during staff meetings. I also know these types of men don't make up the bulk of the mainstream church.

As far as I know my parents are not a member of LDS AVOW or any other online groups. I have seen a lot of NDE books at their house but none by Chad Daybell or Julie Rowe. My parents did NOT like the popular "Visions of Glory" book, interestingly enough. They said it wasn't doctrinal and read like LDS fan fiction. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

For the record, my parents haven't ever killed anyone or broken any laws, nor has anyone died mysteriously and no children have disappeared.

However, we are actively encouraged to seek out and cultivate a CLOSE revelatory relationship with God. There is also precedence for violence in our early church history and in the scriptures. I can see how someone extreme could get to the point where they might excuse awful things, especially if they truly believed Jesus was coming in July 2020 and they had special edicts from him to prepare.

Wow, this is getting way too long. I don't know how helpful this is. But if you have any questions about being raised by people who believed similarly to Chad, let me know.

Last edited:
I don't know, Lori obviously believes reincarnation (though she would call it 'multiple mortal probations') and I recall someone said Chad did too, so that can't be it. Julie R. said she performed energy healing on Chad and his family, so that's not it either. I think what he's rejecting of her beliefs is her own claims of being the central figure in the tribulations. Julie made many podcasts and spoke all about future events and her role in them, and these could be what Chad rejected: especially since we now know that he foresaw a prominent place and special authority for his own self and lori in the tribulations.
Julie likely rejected Chad's claims of being responsible for gathering the 144,000, and I think she likely knew there was something going on between him and Lori which she didn't think was right (and Chad was justifying it) IMO Maybe she also didn't agree with his belief about his '7 missions to fulfill'.

In a nutshell--I think it's a matter of rival claims that give the individual more power, prominence and authority than the other. When Narcissists clash. MOO

Master Blaster runs Bartertown!

I've been trying to watch this thread and the Gannon Stauch thread. I haven't really posted on this thread because it's so complicated I feel like a need a diagram to keep track of everything.

I am curious....do folks here think CD is an innocent dupe of LV who is gradually waking up to what she is?

Is he actually being honest when he says the kids are OK because LV told him so and he trusts her that blindly?

LV seems to have a history of odd shenanigans; CD doesn't. Did/does he really believe his God took his wife by 'natural causes' at a convenient time in his life?

BTW....it sure doesn't give me much confidence that a relatively young woman (under 50, IIRC) with no reported health issues that we know of dies of 'natural causes' and the authorities sign off on it without raising an eyebrow. I'm guessing if there were known underlying health issues (hole in her heart, for example) that we would have seen it brought up by now.
No, CD is not an innocent dupe at all. He is a devious, scheming, adulterer who lies to LE and family about children's whereabouts and existence, lies to his family about having visions to get what he wants, and gets others to lie for him to set up adulterous and dangerous liaisons ending in murder IMO.

Missionary young men are just the most courteous and genuinely joy-filled people--in my opinion. I don't know the name they give--but my brother was someone who would have all the young men on missions over to his house...kindof like to just "chill" and "chat"... I honestly can see why Mormons with mission background are the most dutiful Customer Service Professionals!!!

Chad was once one of those you men. Among the best in the area he served to listen to one of those that was with him. :)

MOO

Trying to string things together a bit. In the 12/25/19 Gray Hughes video (43:45 min mark), the family member says "FBI has all this now. That investigator in Chandler did too and did nothing. Brandon is the reason this all started with the FBI. His investigator called FBI and then Chanlder (PD) got involved. Chandler wasn't going to get involved but because of what happened to Brandon, Chandler was forced to."

Then from the Sheriff Len Humphries interview by East Idaho News talking about Tammy's death, "Uh, a few days later (after Tammy's death) we started getting information out of AZ that we ought to maybe take a closer look at this. As a result of that, we got a court order in Dec and had Tammy's body exhumed and an autopsy was performed."

From Nate's interview with Gray Hughes on 3/1/19. (58:09 min mark) Nate says they get the daily police log every day, pages and pages with usually mundane things like a dog on the lose. "In October, before all this happened, mid-October, on the police log was listed something along the lines of 'need assistance from Gilbert PD in reference to two homicides, cell phone ping.' Well, we called the Sheriff's office and asked about this and they said the two homicides thing was a typo but yes, we're looking into it. Now I'm thinking that now looking back, they probably pinged Lori's phone and it was in reference to Charles' death maybe and Tammy died around that time, I'm not sure. (Note by me: What's not clear is whether the Nate's police log came from Fremont County or Madison County.) There was something there we put in the back of our minds. And then we find out that this beloved school librarian dies and they cancel school and everything ... then I get a text the beginning of Dec from someone who lives in the neighborhood and says you might want to look into that school librarian who died, Tammy Daybell, apparently there's more to the story. Call the Sheriff, get a vague response, then the story breaks."

Charles sent an email to Adam on 6/29/19 he says, "I asked her to explain it and she started blaming you, Brandon and me for perpetuating a scheme against her." And "Brandon and I are victims of her craziness."

Melani left Brandon and her kids behind and asked for a divorce in June. He said it came as a shock. The email would suggest that he was trying to help Charles and it would make sense that his involvement was at least in part, the catalyst for Melani leaving.

So, a lot of things are happening in June. Charles moves the family back to Chandler, AZ and rents a home. Charles, Brandon and Adam are accused by Lori as scheming against her, a common theme. Melani leaves Brandon and her children and asks for a divorce. Then on 6/28 Charles finds an email account Lori made in his name along with a letter from him to Chad. 6/29 Charles forwards the letter to Adam. Charles says he's going to contact Tammy.

Then in July, Brandon files for divorce on 7/8 and Charles is shot on 7/11. In October, Brandon is shot at on 10/2 and Tammy dies on 10/19.

Not sure of the point of this other than to set a mini timeline in my head of what may have set a series of killings in motion. I had always assumed that Brandon hired the PI after he was shot at but now I'm wondering if he was already on the case, possibly after Charles was shot? It also makes sense that the PI contacting the FBI would be the reason things kicked into high gear. The PI would be the hub of info tying everything together from multiple jurisdictions.

Not sure why I posted this as a reply to your comments. I had a reason when I started typing but by the time I finished, I had forgotten what it was. :confused:o_O

MOO

Sheriff details what happened when deputies responded to Tammy Daybell's death as Lori Daybell's son makes a passionate plea | East Idaho News

Thanks Trask. Hopefully the point of all of the above is that none of this started with Tammy or Tammy's family. For some reason there are new rumors flying, and people who have not been following along are getting bad info. The only part that Tammy's sister has played in this is that she was in communication with Chad in November after he had married Lori and Chad lied to Tammy's sister saying Lori has no minor children. This is in the charging documents (Item 41 on page 11): READ: The documents charging Lori Vallow Daybell | East Idaho News
It seems to me that as soon as Chad became aware that Tammy's sister spoke to the police and that she probably shared that info that he had lied, he immediately cut her and the rest of Tammy's family off. And told his kids to do the same. And now Tammy's family has been the victims of a smear campaign on social media as well-- someone is blaming them for being suspicious of Chad and falsely accusing them of requesting the exhumation (they didn't even know about it until after it happened). I don't know if Tammy's family had any suspicions, but they are not the reason this mess started. They didn't start the investigation. And they are not the ones making unfounded accusations. Some of Tammy's family have cooperated with police, unlike Chad and his kids. It's too bad that Tammy's family have largely remained silent in the press. I wish that they would speak out or give some statement, but they probably cannot because they will be called as witnesses in the future to Chad's actions and his lies after Tammy's death.

MOO.

Hi, I've been lurking here, following the Vallow/Daybell case very closely as I'm a local and know Chris Parrett & his family as acquaintances.

I have a unique perspective to this whole case as I was raised by people who believed similarly to Chad Daybell. We were not part of a splinter group, I was raised within the mainstream structure of the church.

I disagree. Those who believe this way believe they are in line with LDS doctrine. In fact, they believe it's a purer form of LDS doctrine only available to those willing to study and uncover the special mysteries god has prepared for them.

There's a book available on Amazon and there's also a free PDF on the internet. I don't think I'm allowed to link. I don't think I've seen it mentioned here. It's called "Doctrine of Eternal Lives." The author is anonymous as he/she didn't really write anything, just collected scriptures and quotes from prophets that support the idea of "reincarnation." These things are not taught openly from the pulpit or in church classrooms today.

My parents argue that these things are still taught, but you have to listen closely to conference talks to figure out what's really being said.

I was told that the church didn't teach this doctrine anymore because the church is under condemnation as declared by President Benson.

I was taught that it wasn't "reincarnation" like the Hindus believe, but a plan of progression, building upon whatever you achieve in the previous life. So you wouldn't go backwards or be reborn randomly.

Lori's claim that she was Joseph Smith's grandmother and sealed to Moroni is pretty wild, though. My parents never made any claims like that. Although my parents thought we might be our own grandparents if you went back far enough in your family line on this world. I was also taught that we progress through the eternities, including through the three kingdoms. My father in particular claims that all of these things were once taught from the pulpit and were keystones to mormonism, though bringing up progression through the kingdoms is a great way to start a fight in gospel doctrine class at church.

My family was not the only family that believed this and taught it privately. I don't know how common this kind of belief is because it's also treated with a lot of sacred/secretness. I was told specifically not to bring any of this up in any of my church classes, nor to tell anyone (especially anyone who might be struggling) in case the knowledge that this life was not their only chance might stop them from trying to remain temple worthy.

Chris Parrett is a really interesting person. I've often wondered if he's on the spectrum somewhere as his in-person social skills are really lacking. His personality comes off as supremely smug. It feels like he is always laughing at you.

His emails to his LDS AVOW subscribers are very dramatic. All caps and lots of bolded, red text, and highlighted all over the place. When we were members of his forum it felt like they had a new date that Jesus was coming every other month. Only a slight exaggeration. When Jesus didn't come and the end times didn't begin, there were always reasons and the next date would be picked... so people stayed in a constant state of fear and anxiety.

I get the sense that he maybe doesn't buy into the end of days stuff but is truly delighted that so many others do.

I think Chris stands to benefit a lot if Chad isn't convicted or is exonerated. Chad has posited himself as basically a prophet, seer, revelator of the last days. Chris has loudly proclaimed him innocent and also claims special insider knowledge (says he was on the phone with Chad and Lori for hours). If Chad walks, there are many, many LDS AVOW members/supporters who will take this as proof of their fringe beliefs (ie Chad is being persecuted by a corrupt government, there are 'Gadianton robbers' (see Book of Mormon beliefs) trying to bring Chad down because he's teaching truth about the latter days, etc.

They don't teach it anymore. They used to, though. It wasn't ever called reincarnation. See the "Doctrine of Eternal Lives" book.

I don't know what I believe anymore, but I still think the doctrine of eternal lives has some beautiful ideas. Eternity is an awful long time. If there is a loving father/god/creator, and he truly wants us to have all that he has, cutting us off after one mortal probation with so many growing up without the gospel and leaving us forever in a lesser kingdom, separated from our families doesn't make a lot of sense. Living forever and ever and ever in a cloudy heaven playing a harp doesn't make a lot of sense either. There's a part of me that will always rather like the idea of being born again and accumulating an eternity of different experiences. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm afraid you won't know if you come across anyone who subscribes to these "outlandish beliefs" because the secrecy is generally very high. Mysteries of the universe, dreams, and visions are often treated with the same sacredness as the temple endowment. There were lots of things my parents wouldn't talk to us about unless we were sitting in the Celestial room.

People with these beliefs will attend church with you, sit on your row, teach your RS and EQ classes, serve in your bishoprics. You'll never know.

Chad was unusual in this regard because he published his stuff and participated in these forums. My parents never would have done either of those things.

If you do unearth someone who believes this sort of thing, good luck warning them or persuading them otherwise. There are a LOT of quotes from scripture and LDS prophets to back these beliefs up, and most that ascribe to this higher-law way of thinking aren't going to listen to someone who hasn't unlocked the mysteries themselves because you are lower on the progression ladder.

If someone has been raised from birth to believe these things, the programming goes very, very deep and is very difficult to separate from mainstream teachings.

You don't get excommunicated until you've published something or have been publicly outspoken in ways that directly oppose the church's leadership. Chad's books were all fictionalized so he was able to fly under the radar in that regard. Folks who attended his signings or speaking events were already on the same page. Weirdly, if you're trying to stop child abuse within the church you will get ex'd quickly and publicly. See Bishop Sam Young.

If Chad is found guilty of breaking the law, he will likely face church discipline. But just belonging to AVOW or believing in the doctrine of eternal lives (reincarnation) won't get you ex'd. In fact you can be a Bishop, Stake Pres, High Councilman, Area Authority, Mission President etc. and have these beliefs. I have personal experience with men in my life who have been all of those things and believe in the doctrine of eternal lives. I come from some Utah royalty, yo.

No. There's just the one mainstream church. However, no one really considers themselves "fringe" within the LDS church. They just believe themselves to be living a higher law. Even the groups that actually splinter from the mainstream church believe they are leaving to live a more pure, more true version of the restored gospel: Latter Day Saint movement - Wikipedia

Here's the key to understanding people like Daybell: They TRULY believe they have uncovered the mysteries of the universe. They truly believe they have been given a higher light and knowledge than their peers. Money, greed, sex, may come to play a part but in the beginning, those aren't the motivating reasons. The reasons are because they were special and more righteous than most and have divine and foreordained callings to fulfill. Allll mormons believe we have divine and foreordained callings (as in missions given in the prexistence before we were born), some just believe it more hardcore than others.

My parents taught us that the reduction in teaching the eternal progression from the pulpit was to protect the main membership of the church who were not ready for these things. In the minds of my parents, the lord has "pulled back" the restored gospel so we won't be in worse condemnation for not following all of it. This lesser gospel is therefore a blessing to the LDS mainstream masses who don't have the whole truth. (The LDS church in all of its forms is very big on truth claims).

My parents also claim end days visions and dreams, and several men I've worked with have full on prophesied during staff meetings. I also know these types of men don't make up the bulk of the church.

My parents are pretty obsessed with 'near death experiences' of which there are a plethora of books and youtube videos, and my dad in particular is pretty obsessed with various end-times prophecies. As far as I know he is not a member of LDS AVOW or any other online groups (he is not very tech savvy) but researches these things on his own.

For the record, my parents haven't ever killed anyone or broken any laws, nor has anyone died mysteriously and no children have disappeared. However, I can see how someone extreme could get to the point where they might excuse such a thing, especially if they truly believed Jesus was coming in July 2020 and they had special edicts from him to prepare. In the Book of Mormon, god instructs the prophet Nephi to smite off Laban's head. God is killing one man to save a whole nation by delivering the brass plates (supposedly a record similar to the Old Testament) to Nephi's family who will then carry them across the ocean to the American continent. Our early church history is also marred with things like blood atonement and violence against people who married and had children with a black person. There's precedence if you're looking for it, yk? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Wow, this is getting way too long. I don't know how helpful this is. But if you have any questions about being raised by people who believed similarly to Chad, let me know.

It took a ton of courage to post this and it really provides a lot of insight that I don't think has been shared in this conversation. I disagree with a lot of the beliefs and behaviors you've described, though I really do appreciate that you were willing to share. The conversation here has overall been respectful and I hope you are treated that same way.

Do you have any thoughts about why Chad remarried just two weeks after Tammy died?

Lori's claim that she was Joseph Smith's grandmother and sealed to Moroni is pretty wild, though. My parents never made any claims like that. Although my parents thought we might be our own grandparents if you went back far enough in your family line on this world. I was also taught that we progress through the eternities, including through the three kingdoms. My father in particular claims that all of these things were once taught from the pulpit and were keystones to mormonism, though nowadays bringing up progression through the kingdoms is a great way to start a fight in gospel doctrine class at church.

I don't know how common this kind of belief is because it's also treated with a lot of sacred secretness. I was told specifically not to bring any of this up in any of my church classes, nor to tell anyone (especially anyone who might be struggling) in case the knowledge that this life was not their only chance might stop them from trying to remain temple worthy.

Chris Parrett is a really interesting person. His in-person social skills are really lacking. It feels like he is always laughing at you.

His emails to his LDS AVOW subscribers are very dramatic. All caps and lots of bolded, red text, and highlighted all over the place. When we were members of his forum it felt like they had a new date that Jesus was coming every other month. People stayed in a constant state of fear and anxiety because of this.

I think Chris stands to benefit a lot if Chad isn't convicted or is exonerated. Chad has posited himself as basically a prophet, seer, revelator of the last days. Chris has loudly proclaimed him innocent and also claims special insider knowledge (says he was on the phone with Chad and Lori for hours). If Chad walks, there are many, many LDS AVOW members and supporters who will take this as proof of their fringe beliefs. ie Chad is being persecuted by a corrupt government, there are 'Gadianton robbers' (see Book of Mormon beliefs) trying to bring Chad down because he's teaching truth about the latter days, etc.

If Chad is found guilty of breaking the law, he will likely face church discipline. But just belonging to AVOW or believing in the doctrine of eternal lives (reincarnation) won't get you ex'd. In fact you can be a Bishop, Stake Pres, High Councilman, Area Authority, Mission President etc. and have these beliefs. I have personal experience with men in my life who have been all of those things and believe in the doctrine of eternal lives.

Here's the key to understanding people like Daybell: They TRULY believe they have uncovered the mysteries of the universe. They truly believe they have been given a higher light and knowledge than their peers. Money, greed, sex, may come to play a part but in the beginning, those aren't the motivating reasons. The reasons are because they were special and more righteous than most and have divine and foreordained callings to fulfill. Allll mormons believe we have divine purpose and foreordained callings (as in missions given in the prexistence before we were born), some just believe it more hardcore than others.

My parents also claim end days visions and dreams, and several men I've worked with have full on prophesied during staff meetings. I also know these types of men don't make up the bulk of the mainstream church.

As far as I know my parents are not a member of LDS AVOW or any other online groups. I have seen a lot of NDE books at their house but none by Chad Daybell or Julie Rowe. My parents did NOT like the popular "Visions of Glory" book, interestingly enough. They said it wasn't doctrinal and read like LDS fan fiction. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

For the record, my parents haven't ever killed anyone or broken any laws, nor has anyone died mysteriously and no children have disappeared.

However, we are actively encouraged to seek out and cultivate a CLOSE revelatory relationship with God. There is also precedence for violence in our early church history and in the scriptures. I can see how someone extreme could get to the point where they might excuse awful things, especially if they truly believed Jesus was coming in July 2020 and they had special edicts from him to prepare.

Unbelievably beautifully written and informative. i have so many questions...and have no way to ask them. Yet. Thank You....

Wow, welcome aboard! Thank you for your post. It is very brave of you to come on and educate us about the beliefs of the group. It must be startling for you to see how far CD and LV have taken it. Please stick around and join in the chats. Hopefully your experiences may be able to help those of us who have trouble understanding it all. JMO

Do you think Chris could have been involved in the children’s disappearance?

Thanks, i do feel I want to "indulge". Sometimes I have a hard time understanding what were the beginning teachings and what are now considered "the true Church". From some reading I was doing, ( a number of years ago), polygamy made sense as matched with the teachings. And yet "the true Church" changed it. I remember reasoning around "political correctness", being able to be heard in the US government etc etc... Are there "accepted" alternative Mormon groups/orgs that just want to get back to original teachings that some people belong? (rather than just be lumped in as fringe groups)

I’m not LDS. But I’ve lived most of my adult life in small rural areas in the Interior West. Based on that, I can say there are many people who pick and choose from the original Joseph Smith and Brigham Young writings.

When I went down the rabbit hole of Chad’s and other preppers’ doomsday books/web presence, I found it to be no different from beliefs of some LDS people I’ve encountered - especially the anti-government preppers.

Welcome and thank you for all of your detailed thoughts!

Thank you so very much for taking the time to write this. I feel like a lot of people have tried to explain this perspective in various ways throughout this case, and you have done a beautiful job. Moo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member