IL - Five killed, 21 injured in shooting at NIU campus, DeKalb, 14 Feb 2008

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I just heard about this on my way to my night class tonight. I just arrived on campus here (no worries, I am in SC) but everyone here is still talking about it. We all think it is a similar situation as Virginia Tech.

Latest I heard: 3 dead (including gunman), 18 injured (5 of those with head injuries ETA to hospital).

I was already depressed about a missing person case that ended tragically today, now this... :(.

You know my daughter is a freshman at an Illinois university. When we were doing campus visits we visited a college in another state that we rejected solely on campus security. They were offering her substantial scholarships, but we just didn't feel that she would be safe.

I guess it doesn't matter how great security is at a campus, if some idiot with a shotgun wants to get in there and start shooting ... he'll figure out a way. :(

News is announcing for the students to please text message your parents at once.
The cell towers are jammed..

Scanner talking about male victim with chest wound, leg and arm. There are two in the air to Rockford. Medics stating that both are "hot offloads". The one is in resp arrest. Praying for these two.

So far, I must commend NIU and that area for what sounds like a great response plan. This started at 4:30 and the gunman is dead and others are on the way to the hospital.

I just heard about this on my way to my night class tonight. I just arrived on campus here (no worries, I am in SC) but everyone here is still talking about it. We all think it is a similar situation as Virginia Tech.

Latest I heard: 3 dead (including gunman), 18 injured (5 of those with head injuries ETA to hospital).

I was already depressed about a missing person case that ended tragically today, now this... :(.

Damn, I've prayed that this would not happen again. Now every nutcase with a death wish is going to turn our universities into war zones.
:furious:

So far, I must commend NIU and that area for what sounds like a great response plan. This started at 4:30 and the gunman is dead and others are on the way to the hospital.

From what we're hearing the gunman opened fire around 2:55 p.m., by 3:20 an alert went out over the campus email system and posted on their website. I think that is an amazing response time considering the size of the campus.

ETA: The Northern Star is reporting: A shotgun-wielding gunman who shot and injured at least five students in a Cole Hall ocean science lecture class shortly after 3 p.m. has been killed, police say.

I'm not sure what time is correct.

From what we're hearing the gunman opened fire around 2:55 p.m., by 3:20 an alert went out over the campus email system and posted on their website. I think that is an amazing response time considering the size of the campus.

ETA: The Northern Star is reporting: A shotgun-wielding gunman who shot and injured at least five students in a Cole Hall ocean science lecture class shortly after 3 p.m. has been killed, police say.

I'm not sure what time is correct.

It came on the scanner here around 3:10 PM.

ETA: from Kish Hospital website: 13 patients have arrived.

CAMPUS ALERT:

2/14/08

5:12 p.m.

Police are confirming that the shooter is dead by a self-inflicted gunshot.

A press conference will be held in the Altgeld Hall Auditorium at 5:30 p.m.

It came on the scanner here around 3:10 PM.

ETA: from Kish Hospital website: 13 patients have arrived.

I know I checked the campus website shortly after you posted and saw the message. I'm astounded at how quick they moved on this.

I keep getting calls and messages through the local mommy network. From what I heard this was a senior class.

Oh, I guess I'm an hour or so ahead of Chicago. Forgot about that. I'm still glad it didn't drag on.

Latest news:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080214/ap_on_re_us/niu_shooting

George Gaynor, a senior geography student, who was in Cole Hall when the shooting happened, told the student newspaper that the shooter was "a skinny white guy with a stocking cap on."
He described the scene immediately following the incident as terrifying and chaotic.
"Some girl got hit in the eye, a guy got hit in the leg," Gaynor said outside just minutes after the shooting occurred. "It was like five minutes before class ended too."
Witnesses said the young man carried a shotgun and a pistol. Student Edward Robinson told WLS that the gunman appeared to target students in one part of the lecture hall.
"It was almost like he knew who he wanted to shoot," Robinson said. "He knew who and where he wanted to be firing at." (more at link)

News is announcing for the students to please text message your parents at once.
The cell towers are jammed..

I don't know why but this about brought me to tears. I think over the years I have read too many stories of families waiting for the It's all OK call to come and it never does.

Prayers to the victims

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BOTTERB
Back