IL - Five killed, 21 injured in shooting at NIU campus, DeKalb, 14 Feb 2008

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Update: A seventh person has died in the shooting, according to DeKalb County Coroner Dennis J. Miller. In addition, he released the identities of four of the victims: Daniel Parmenter, 20, of Westchester; Catalina Garcia, 20, of Cicero; Ryanne Mace, 19, of Carpentersville; and Julianna Gehant, 32, of Meridan.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-niu-gunman_webfeb15,0,1760508.story

Catalina Garcia, 20, of Cicero
I think that was the person that was flown to Rockford
The brother was, the one on channel 5 by cell phone yesterday, saying he was driving to Rockford to be with her.
7 dead now, one is the :furious:killer thou, sry he doesn't count to me.

I'd say that maybe sociologists could tell us -- but the shooter was a sociology graduate student, according to reports.

Yeah and we're making it easy for them - a shooting at a high school in Tenn on Monday, a boy now brain dead from a shooting in a California high school on Tuesday, and the week's not over yet. :mad:

Was just stated that the gunner was detained and reprimanded by a professor
because of writing a very disturbing paper for one of his classes.:eek: Back last year.
They (school) wanted him to get professional help because they thought he was suicidal. :eek:

I just find this incomprehensible!

The man believed to be the gunman in the Northern Illinois University shootings was a distinguished student in the university's sociology department, earning at least two top awards before leaving the school last spring.
He was also an officer in a campus student government organization.
In a recent posting on an Internet site, he wrote about his interest in getting elected to a national association, saying he was committed to social justice.
http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/796172,CST-NWS-gunman15.article

because of writing a very disturbing paper for one of his classes.:eek: Back last year.
They (school) wanted him to get professional help. :eek:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-shooterfeb15,0,5845172.story

Just two years ago, Northern Illinois University honored the man identified as the shooter in Thursday's attacks with a dean's award for his sociology work.

The gunman had established himself as an authority on prison systems, having co-authored a manuscript on self-injury in prison and the role of religion in the formation of early prisons in the United States. Both papers were written under the guidance of Jim Thomas, a professor emeritus at NIU and a nationally renowned criminal-justice expert.

---

The organization's current president worked on a paper with the shooter and Thomas dealing with self-injury in prison.

School officials say the gunman was enrolled at NIU in Spring 2007, but left to attend graduate school at another state university. According to the U. of I., the shooter was a graduate student in the school of social work.

The gunman grew up in Elk Grove Village, but records show his parents moved to Florida shortly before his mother's death in 2004.

http://www.nbc5.com/news/15309272/detail.html

NBC5's Kim Vatis confirmed that the man was from Elk Grove Village.

In a recent posting on an Internet site, he wrote about his interest in getting elected to a national association, saying he was committed to social justice. In a scholarly paper he co-authored two years ago, the man described himself as being interested in social justice, corrections, political violence and peace.

Well then, it seems something turned him in a complete 180. I hope he didn't have any contact with prison inmates. You have to wonder if maybe they were putting some bad ideas in his head.

They (school) wanted him to get professional help because they thought he was suicidal. :eek:

On channel 5 just now, reiterated what I wrote a bit ago.
Wrote VERY disturbing paper and was considered suicidal.

Been checking channel 5 web site for a link, nothing so far

The media is uncovering some pretty specific information on someone who is "unnamed". :waitasec:

I'm gonna have to scoot out and check out Channel 5.

There's a press conference by NIU at 9 am. CST

Been checking channel 5 web site for a link, nothing so far

So far, NIU is saying there were no warning signs. I wonder if the paper he wrote was at U of I ? ? ?

So far, NIU is saying there were no warning signs. I wonder if the paper he wrote was at U of I ? ? ?

Channel 5 didn't go into details other then what I posted.
Was stated twice, 2 different times this morning.:waitasec:

Yes I did Golfmom, that was printed before channel 5, two news people talked about what I posted.

Glock is a manufacturer of handguns.

The young man, armed with a 12-gauge shotgun, a Glock semiautomatic pistol and a smaller-caliber handgun, entered Cole Hall at about 3 p.m.

At the time of yesterday's press conference, they said that they couldn't find the smaller-caliber handgun, but determined that there was one based on the shells fired. Hopefully, we'll hear more at the next press conference.

ETA more info: http://www.abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=4293081&page=1

He said police had found a Glock handgun, a shotgun and shells, indicating there was a second small-caliber handgun used in the attack but that police had yet to locate that pistol.

This is just horrible and not too far from where I live. We just had the shooting at the Lane Bryant store up in Chicago right where my brother-in-laws live. We have been to that mall. I am scared to leave my house anymore.

From MSNBC.com:

“If I stayed there, I didn’t know if there was going to be multiple gunmen, so I got out of there,” said Giovanni, adding that his friends had told him not to go to class on Thursday. “I was five feet from the door when the second shotgun blast went off. Once I ran out, I heard kids following me that weren’t too far behind me saying that they were bleeding.”
Was there a threat or rumors that this was going to happen?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FindIreneFlemingWAState
Back