IL IL - Urooj Khan, 46, Chicago, 20 July 2012

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
"His 17-year-old daughter from a previous marriage had moved out of her stepmom's home and into his sister's after his death. Then his ex-wife came forward, announcing in anguish that she hadn't seen her daughter in more than a decade and hadn't even known she was still in the U.S."

This makes me wonder if she dodged a bullet, so to speak, if it was mom & the father-in-law.

"His 17-year-old daughter from a previous marriage had moved out of her stepmom's home and into his sister's after his death. Then his ex-wife came forward, announcing in anguish that she hadn't seen her daughter in more than a decade and hadn't even known she was still in the U.S."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/01/1...o-winner-death/?test=latestnews#ixzz2HnYKPzqN

The sad thing is the mother only lives about an hour away from the daughter.

Great questions.

The father could have been a meat-eater and the mother a vegetarian; I know some Indian families where this is the case. The daughter could have adopted the values of the mother, or just been like a lot of kids and been vegetarian for non-religious reasons.

Is the mother (first wife) even Indian? At least her name doesn't sound Indian to me.

They are Indians (atleast born in India) but they belong to the Muslim religion. Muslims are almost always heavy meat-eaters (with the exception of pork). Hindus and Buddhists are more likely to be vegetarian.

I find it very suspicious that the wife AND father-in-law did not partake of the last supper.

Did I miss this detail in an article? Curious because I've seen them in American attire, and Indian attire- but none of them pictured in muslim attire at all, yet.

Did I miss this detail in an article? Curious because I've seen them in American attire, and Indian attire- but none of them pictured in muslim attire at all, yet.

The Foxnews article mentioned he was on pilgrimage to Mecca, so he's Muslim. No idea if his wife is.

The Foxnews article mentioned he was on pilgrimage to Mecca, so he's Muslim. No idea if his wife is.

Since his wife is also his cousin, it would be a safe bet that she is a Muslim as well.

Yup, I see that now. Interesting! Surely they must be culturally Muslim and not practicing strictly, or perhaps a very progressive movement. I've met muslims who wear western clothes, but there was still some sort of trendy hat or head covering that would honor those values.

I'm not sure it's an important factor, I just found it interesting.

Yup, I see that now. Interesting! Surely they must be culturally Muslim and not practicing strictly, or perhaps a very progressive movement. I've met muslims who wear western clothes, but there was still some sort of trendy hat or head covering that would honor those values.

I'm not sure it's an important factor, I just found it interesting.

I work with a number of Muslims; I'm not really sure what "Muslim clothing" is. Most males I've worked with wear western clothing, and I know one of them did prayers during the day so I assume he was devout. Some Muslim women I've worked with wear a hijab, though not all.

I'm not really that suspicious of the wife not eating the curry-it is known through the families she is vegetarian. I am wondering why the father-in-law didn't eat it-he said he was 'on a diet'. but it does not seem like a fattening or high-calorie dish.

I'm not really that suspicious of the wife not eating the curry-it is known through the families she is vegetarian. I am wondering why the father-in-law didn't eat it-he said he was 'on a diet'. but it does not seem like a fattening or high-calorie dish.

In a few articles it says no one else ate it just him!Not his daughter,wife or father in law very weird 3 out of 4 family members did not eat it and the only 1 who did was murdered! If the wife did it I think she would have cremated him and got rid of the ashes, I am wondering about his brother could he have set up the wife and father in law.

I am Asian and as far as I know 'Khan' is a Muslim name.

Maybe his diet was for bland food not a calorie restricted one. Curry can be spicey.

In a few articles it says no one else ate it just him!Not his daughter,wife or father in law very weird 3 out of 4 family members did not eat it and the only 1 who did was murdered! If the wife did it I think she would have cremated him and got rid of the ashes, I am wondering about his brother could he have set up the wife and father in law.

I'm from India. Muslims are not allowed cremation, only burial. I cannot imagine the wife having the body cremated. That would have looked even more suspicious.

I'm from India. Muslims are not allowed cremation, only burial. I cannot imagine the wife having the body cremated. That would have looked even more suspicious.

Especially considering he has a whole bunch of siblings living in US. I am sure they would not allow cremation.

I am Asian and as far as I know 'Khan' is a Muslim name.
I am Asian too, and my husband is black. My brother in law and a lot of people we know follow Islam.... so I'm not just speaking uninformed. I think many muslim people would also make the same conclusions I did regarding attire.

I work with a number of Muslims; I'm not really sure what "Muslim clothing" is. Most males I've worked with wear western clothing, and I know one of them did prayers during the day so I assume he was devout. Some Muslim women I've worked with wear a hijab, though not all.

Practicing women have specific modesty guidelines. It doesn't have to be culturally significant, but usually the sleeves will go to the wrist and there will be some sort of head or hair covering in the least. I was just noticing that there are pictures of the daughter and wife that wouldn't match up to typical attire for muslim women. I am fully aware that it varies by person and culture, but I've seen very very progressive muslim women in colleges who will wear trendy long sleeve clothes and something "cool" like a tam as head covering, things you'd never associate religiously- but they still honored the values.

I've just never seen a muslim woman go in public in a short sleeve Sari with their hair completely exposed is all. I would venture that would be quite unusual, thus my comment that they may be culturally muslim (how many people are culturally Christian, but don't follow every tenant of Christianity?) or of a progressive branch that has differing views of modesty and dress.

That's all, not arguing that they aren't muslim. Like I said, it's not really even applicable to the conversation. It was a passing observation.

I've seen a number of articles saying the victim was a devout Muslim.
Also, he and his first wife apparently had a prenuptial agreement where it was specified they will raise their children Muslim.

"Khan met his first wife, Maria Rabadan, at the laundry service. In an unusual move for their humble status at the time, Khan and Rabadan signed a prenuptial agreement before their marriage in 1992. The document included a stipulation that any children be raised Muslim and that Khan would gain custody if they divorced or separated. The couple had one child, Jasmeen, now 17, who was living with her father at the time of his death."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...oisoning-victim-0113-20130113,0,3181212.story

I've seen a number of articles saying the victim was a devout Muslim.
Also, he and his first wife apparently had a prenuptial agreement where it was specified they will raise their children Muslim.

"Khan met his first wife, Maria Rabadan, at the laundry service. In an unusual move for their humble status at the time, Khan and Rabadan signed a prenuptial agreement before their marriage in 1992. The document included a stipulation that any children be raised Muslim and that Khan would gain custody if they divorced or separated. The couple had one child, Jasmeen, now 17, who was living with her father at the time of his death."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...oisoning-victim-0113-20130113,0,3181212.story
yup, not doubting it- just saying that particular thing I referenced was unusual considering. :)

Here is a long article from The Chicago Tribune on the actual exhumation this morning:

http://my.chicagotribune.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-74071299/

In addition it says, and has been reported before:

"Khan's widow, Shabana Ansari, who has hired a criminal-defense lawyer, told the Tribune last week that she had been questioned for more than four hours by detectives and had fully cooperated. She said the detectives had asked her about ingredients she used to prepare his last meal of lamb curry, shared by Ansari, her father-in-law Fareedun Ansari and Khan's daughter from a previous marriage, Jasmeen, 17."

So, supposedly everyone ate the same meal. Of course, that doesn't preclude the possibility that only Urooj's serving was tainted.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tkm0284
Back