Found Deceased IN - Abby & Libby - The Delphi Murders - #155 *Richard Allen Arrested*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This article claims $171,800. I tried looking it up on a GIS site, but it appears that all of the data has been removed.

Thanks so much :) so wouldn’t even cover his costs even if he sold the house and split half with his wife.

He doesn’t strike me as the smartest cookie in the jar, so it really makes me wonder how all of this even came to be. What had to have happened that makes this make any kind of sense?
Oh I think it's an act. He has a daughter and a wife....I always remember when Carter said "A question to you: What will those closest to you think of you when they find out that you brutally murdered two little girls? Two children!" So I think he is going to play completely bewildered and innocent until the end. But there is no role he could have in this that is not horrific.

The Indiana law I quoted above states that they can order the D to pay some costs if they have some assets.

Victims are also able to bring civil wrongful death actions against the defendant. After the Son-of-Sam laws (that prevented a defendant from profiting from its crime) were struck down as overbroad and unconstitutional, some states passed new laws that said if a defendant signs a publishing deal related to the crime, the victims must be given notification (so they can intervene and/or bring their civil suits or attach their judgments from successful civil suits).
Oh man. If anyone is going to write a book about this case and profit, it should be his wife. And I don’t even like that.

Maybe a book where proceeds would go to a foundation to educate young people about social dangers or how to protect themselves or report threats.. that seems somewhat palatable.

jmo

Because we don’t know he is guilty - he is innocent until proven otherwise.

Also even if guilty then why should his family lose their life savings to fund his defense?
I really feel bad for his wife. Her husband is arrested for such a heinous crime, she’s dealing with that. The emotional toll that is taking is unfathomable, then most likely trying to navigate a divorce, add in relocation; because even if she wasn’t being harassed and threatened how could anyone blame her for not wanting to go back to that house? She’s dealing with so much that forfeiting the shared finances seems so unfair. If they divorced and the judge granted her every asset they own, it still wouldn’t be enough to compensate for what she’s going through. Let the state fund his defense, his wife needs less stress.

I really feel bad for his wife. Her husband is arrested for such a heinous crime, she’s dealing with that. The emotional toll that is taking is unfathomable, then most likely trying to navigate a divorce, add in relocation; because even if she wasn’t being harassed and threatened how could anyone blame her for not wanting to go back to that house? She’s dealing with so much that forfeiting the shared finances seems so unfair. If they divorced and the judge granted her every asset they own, it still wouldn’t be enough to compensate for what she’s going through. Let the state fund his defense, his wife needs less stress.

Yes basically though no fault of her own she now needs to rebuild an entire new life and she would be in her 50’s. I can not imagine that is easy and what happens when she applies for a job and they want a reference, will why she left need to be disclosed to any new employee?

If so then that makes her basically unemployable IMO

Not Indiana, but in a Florida case - Parker Schenecker filed for immediate divorce against Julie Schenecker after she murdered their two children. He was still ordered to split their $2 million estate with her. She was sentenced to two concurrent life terms. He later had to file a wrongful death suit against her to attempt to recover.

His shock at the costs of legal representation amuses me. Not so smart after all are ya buddy.
I thought the same!

He knew he was under the microscope. LE doesn’t show up at your door with search warrants for no reason. Did he not search out a lawyer when all this was going down? Did he not do any research? Did he not get some quotes?

WTH was he doing in those days leading up to his arrest?

I’m dumbfounded that he had no idea how much it would cost to talk to a lawyer. A quick google search would give you a ballpark!

It appears that he managed to stay out of LE’s sights for years. Did he just get lucky because so far I don’t see that he’s all that smart?

MOO

Because he is entitled to an adequate defense. He needs a good attorney so if he's found guilty he can't appeal based on poor representation.
And because it's in all of our interests to actually convict the right person for this crime. We haven't even heard one sentence of the evidence against RA yet. Like others, I assume LE wouldn't have arrested him without good reason, but I'll feel a lot better about that assumption if he receives a good defense and is still convicted.

I thought the same!

He knew he was under the microscope. LE doesn’t show up at your door with search warrants for no reason. Did he not search out a lawyer when all this was going down? Did he not do any research? Did he not get some quotes?

I’m dumbfounded that he had no idea how much it would cost to talk to a lawyer. A quick google search would give you a ballpark!

It appears that he managed to stay out of LE’s sights for years. Did he just get lucky because so far I don’t see that he’s all that smart?

MOO
You’d think so, right? It makes me wonder what that search warrant was for exactly. Is it possible they executed a search warrant on an unrelated and came across evidence of the girls’ murders while searching?

I just can’t understand how it took so long to arrest him, surely he knew when they took away the evidence that he’d be arrested shortly thereafter.

I think the sale of the house in a small town like Delphi with the history of who lived there is going to be a tough sell. The wife needs to divorce as soon as possible and sell her story whether she thinks he is guilty or innocent when the time is right asap. She can always remarry him if the love is still there or if he is proven innocent.

The issue is he’s innocent until proven guilty. It doesn’t sit right with me that he could be innocent (although highly unlikely) and he would be forced to sell his house (that others live in as well) to pay for a defense to prove that innocence. If he had a bunch of money or assets that would not leave him homeless after the fact, that’s one thing… It’s already a big enough compromise to keep him in jail and unable to continue earning an income. Too much further and we’re basically punishing people without a trial.
rbbm
It's not a compromise to 'keep him in jail and unable to earn an income' IMO.

LE, ISP and FBI haven't charged him with a horrific double murder on a whim, there's enough probable cause for an arrest and no bond that keeps him legally in custody at this time. Even if we don't have access to the AA and PC docs, there are certain standards that must be met in order for a Judge to sign off on search warrants and a subsequent arrest.

MOO

Because he is entitled to an adequate defense. He needs a good attorney so if he's found guilty he can't appeal based on poor representation.
Fair and adequate representation for everyone, I totally agree with. But with assets he should and may be directed to pay all/portion of it IMO.

ETA: I am not trying to be unsympathetic, I feel for the innocent families of any of these monsters, through no fault of their own they are penalized and victimized just by being associated with them.

Last edited:
Could simply be USPS which caused the delay. A lot of places are having a hard time keeping up with the mail due to Covid. I can speak for my own local situation, and have heard of other areas having the same problem. For me, ~60K population in this county. Sent a BD card to someone 6 miles away. Took 9 days to get. I could have walked it there faster! Also, the receiver of the card, and others in her small town, are getting week long delays in their mail. They know what they should receive for the day (emailed daily digest) but it takes up to a week to actually have it put in their mailbox. Per the local newspaper they are very short staffed and having problems hiring. I'm thinking this situation can happen anywhere across the US.

From the mouth of USPS directly:

USPS products and packages may require more time to be delivered due to limited transportation availability as a result of the ongoing COVID-19 impacts.

The prison reviews mail coming in and going out. If the prison dumps a ton of mail on the local PO (usually small post offices because they like to put prisons away from civilized folks) all at once,

rbbm
It's not a compromise to 'keep him in jail and unable to earn an income' IMO.

LE, ISP and FBI haven't charged him with a horrific double murder on a whim, there's enough probable cause for an arrest and no bond that keeps him legally in custody at this time. Even if we don't have access to the AA and PC docs, there are certain standards that must be met in order for a Judge to sign off on search warrants and a subsequent arrest.

MOO
In what world is it not a compromise between his fourth amendment rights and the security of the public? Perhaps you misunderstood what I meant by compromise?

The video that Libby took sounds super distressing listening to Down The Hill. It sounds like one of them knew what was about to happen. They mention the feelings going though one or the girls at the time. I can not imagine the fear and yet having the foresight to record what some of what was going to happen.
I am listening to that episode (ep 4) right now, and the emotion in Lazeanby’s and Carter’s voices is palpable when commenting on that video. It must have been horrific.

I can only imagine it shows BG with a weapon and bearing down on the girls….and possibly worse. I am so glad I don’t have their jobs.

Could simply be USPS which caused the delay. A lot of places are having a hard time keeping up with the mail due to Covid. I can speak for my own local situation, and have heard of other areas having the same problem. For me, ~60K population in this county. Sent a BD card to someone 6 miles away. Took 9 days to get. I could have walked it there faster! Also, the receiver of the card, and others in her small town, are getting week long delays in their mail. They know what they should receive for the day (emailed daily digest) but it takes up to a week to actually have it put in their mailbox. Per the local newspaper they are very short staffed and having problems hiring. I'm thinking this situation can happen anywhere across the US.

From the mouth of USPS directly:

USPS products and packages may require more time to be delivered due to limited transportation availability as a result of the ongoing COVID-19 impacts.

This may be a dumb question, but is he not permitted to use email to request a public defender?

This may be a dumb question, but is he not permitted to use email to request a public defender?
In my experience, correspondence like this has to be written. I've seen entire affidavits and draft court orders written on lined paper in the proper format from prison because efiling requires specific procedures and accesses to the casefile system.

JMO

I think the sale of the house in a small town like Delphi with the history of who lived there is going to be a tough sell. The wife needs to divorce as soon as possible and sell her story whether she thinks he is guilty or innocent when the time is right asap. She can always remarry him if the love is still there or if he is proven innocent.
I think it would sell for fair market value, since there wasn’t a violent crime committed on the property (as far as we know.)
I am a bit worried for neighboring properties due to looky-loos.

How about this - stigmatized properties can even bring more money!

“This can go either way for buyers, depending on how much demand or interest there is surrounding the property. Sometimes they’re a challenge to sell, allowing the buyer to get a deal, but in other cases — buyers might be eager to get in on the notoriety, which can bump up the price.”

There is even a website called Housecreep that features stigmatized properties!

I thought the same!

MOO
If LE has been watching him for a while, I bet his google searches will bring a plethora of digital evidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ava l