Found Deceased IN - Abigail (Abby) Williams, 13, and Liberty (Libby) German, 14/The Delphi Murders 13 Feb 2017 #87

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
In answer to your 6th and 7th questions, no information has been released about any technological devices owned by the perpetrator, nor the perpetrator's possible modes of transportation.

In answer to your 8th question,
I've never heard LE say they suspect more than one perpetrator. No one on Websleuths has talked about more than one perpetrator in the threads I've followed over the past few weeks.

Miscellaneous: No one has yet been named as a suspect in Abby and Libby's murders. LE has looked into a variety of people who have been discussed on Websleuths. I'll only identify these people by their initials: RL, DN, JM, TB and CE. I think that's everybody, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

Sheriff Tobe Leazenby said that there have been between 35,000 and 36,000 tips on this case so far and each one gets investigated.

Indiana State Police Sgt. Kim Riley said, "We have 1,000 names out there, and we're still looking at all of them."

Respectfully snipped and points bolded. If LE hasn't released any details of the COD, nor any autopsy reports in the ongoing cases, what is known about the crime as far as the first paragraph where you say it's a brutal crime?
Was blood found? Shell casings? Ligatures? Anything?

I believe they will catch this killer and many more using familial DNA " family trees" posted on free and publicly accessible websites.
It seems to me they're either choosing to not release info to the public way beyond what's usually held back, or they aren't releasing anything because they have very little from which to release info which isn't compromising to the case.

So, the families don't even know how their girls died? I didn't know this. I'd thought they were shot after hours of being missing. Somehow, early in the case, it was believed there were gunshots heard. Just a rumor, and I don't want to get a rumor restarted.

Thank you for helping me get back current. I truly appreciate it so very much.

If some of you have other points or differing viewpoints, please post them. 86 FULL threads are not searchable for me in this board's format.

Like you, I remember hearing Abby and Libby had been shot shortly after the murders, but I'm guessing that impression must have come from rumors or some form of non-MSM.

You are absolutely correct that the girls' families do not even know their cause of death. Here are comments from Libby's grandfather, Mike Patty, made in March of 2017:

"This horrible crime has torn a hole in our families that will never heal," he says. "It’s the small things that seem to hurt the most. It's just natural to holler for them come to dinner; or in the mornings to get up and get ready for school, then expect them to come through the door after school; the silence when we don’t hear their voice."

He continues, "I don’t know exactly what happened out there that day, but I imagine there was probably an opportunity for one or both to separate and try to make a break different ways. But those girls loved each other. They were good friends. Neither one of them left each other's side."

Like you, I remember hearing Abby and Libby had been shot shortly after the murders, but I'm guessing that impression must have come from rumors or some form of non-MSM.

You are absolutely correct that the girls' families do not even know their cause of death. Here are comments from Libby's grandfather, Mike Patty, made in March of 2017:

"This horrible crime has torn a hole in our families that will never heal," he says. "It’s the small things that seem to hurt the most. It's just natural to holler for them come to dinner; or in the mornings to get up and get ready for school, then expect them to come through the door after school; the silence when we don’t hear their voice."

He continues, "I don’t know exactly what happened out there that day, but I imagine there was probably an opportunity for one or both to separate and try to make a break different ways. But those girls loved each other. They were good friends. Neither one of them left each other's side."

This is so shocking to me, I've sat here and tried to find a worthy response and cannot.

Yo, I am hesitant about opening a big can of worms, but I've had a few drinks so screw it. Does anyone see a bunch of physical similarity between BG and the arrested dad in the Savannah Pruitt case?

a.) He's the right height and weight

b.) General resemblance to the sketch (though I do think less so than CE), and to me even more resemblance to the trail picture; I think his ears are VERY much like the sketch, which hasn't been true of any suspect to this point. I think he's way closer to the sketch than either DN or TB.

c.) His voice isn't dead-on to the garbled BG recording, but vaguely similar and at least to me his "accent" and cadence are basically identical.

d.) I know there's been a lot of discussion about a hat and what kind, but I've always seen a baseball cap with a bill tilted to one side, exactly as shown in the picture of RP in the heavy article https://heavy.com/news/2019/01/randall-pruitt/ (although dudes that wear hats tilted to one side typically always do it to the same side, and in the RP picture it's the opposite way from what I see with BG).

e.) If the rape charges against RP are for crimes perpetrated on SP (as opposed to as yet unnamed victims), the victim age is identical and general appearance is similar.

The problems, obviously, are:

a.) Distance (although he is apparently a long haul truck driver, as has been speculated in the Delphi case)

b.) Doesn't seem to have reddish-brown hair

c.) No (known) history of past similar crimes or area ties, and major fundamental differences between Delphi and the SP case (although this is also true of DN and TB)

To be clear, I think CE is a much more likely perp here than RP, but as soon as I saw the arrest and corresponding articles in SP case I immediately had parallels to Delphi come to mind and since I hadn't seen it suggested elsewhere thought I'd put it out there for discussion/feedback.

How was the abandoned CSX railroad bridge, which is 63 ft. over the body of water with no railings or side barriers of any type, approved for recreational use?
This looks incredibly hazardous to me.
DH tells me that one month after the murders, a fence- type barrier was put up and planned permanent side railings were being discussed with CSX.

Am I correct in thinking this was CSX property and not park property?
How common was it for people to walk on that thing to the other end and were there ever reports of anyone falling or jumping off?
I'm asking because there is a type of killer who will relive and recreate something they have seen happen or made happen.
If people ever fell or were pushed off the bridge, it would be public knowledge, I'd think.

Anyone from the area know how much use it received, if adults routinely were bored enough to traverse it, and is there a way through the park without ever using the bridge? Also, when the railroad ceased to use it for transportation in 1986, were any barriers ever put up at either end or both ends?

Is there any valid reason to think one or both of the girls were thrown off the bridge?

I had thought they were in a safe area, but by definition, they were not. The park is a safe area, more than likely, but that bridge is not safe for any person to be on because it lacked side supports/ railings at that time.

I recall the first reports that a man forced them down a hill in a field. Would this field likely be on the park property too?

I've not seen the video captures of the man called Bridge Guy or BG before tonight, nor have I previously heard the audio clip. I can't believe there's a photo of either a witness or a possible POI.
I had a heck of a time with the Indy paper pop ups continuously, but tried to enlarge the photo to see more details. I really wasn't successful. I would like to see a clear enlargement with a forensic lab cleanup and enhancement of facial features.

Audio-I don't personally hear anything unusual in the very short audio clip. My impression is that English is his first and major language; that he's not using a forceful or harsh tone of voice but perhaps a tiny bit rushed. I don't believe his voice is disguised in any way.

I'd describe his physical characteristics as having rather short legs compared to his trunk with what appears to be excess weight in abdomen, consistent with middle age body changes.

I believe he has plain dark brown or black hair, medium complexion, hint of a dark slight beard or just unshaven for a few days. I really can't tell a lot of difference between what some men pass off as beards now and just not shaving but every 3-4 days. I do not see ANY red in hair or beard, and complexion is a bit dark compared to the natural redheads I've known. His beard likely is redder than the hair on his head if the sketch and photo are of the same man, which I'm actually not sure of.

When I look at the sketch, I see a big nose, messy hair, reddish beard. Those features do not seem to be in the photo, but it's blurry. Likewise, witness recollections of a face are often not accurate.

My general impression of his age is late 40's to mid 50's. Not younger. Possibly a bit older. One thing that seems a bit at odds to me is that his voice sounds like an older man than 40s to mid 50s to me.

I don't see signs of stress in his body stance or what I can see of his face. He looks relaxed, not angry or with an anticipatory glare or aggressive stance towards Libby. who was recording the audio and video. Hands in pockets- men do that when strolling without any anticipation of aggression, but also when concealing a small gun,ready to use with his hand so close, so I can't determine if this is a casual stance or one that's necessary for control in the near future. I tend to think it's just hands in pockets and at least one gun is more securely affixed to some part of his over-ample clothing.
Observation and analysis of facial expressions and stress manifested in areas of the body is a large part of my career, and I don't see a stressed person. Not overly confident, not predatory, not angry, just casual.

To stroll on that bridge with hands in pockets says to me he's not nervous about his location on the CSX bridge, and trusts his balance very well. Thus, he is probably not under the influence of alcohol or psychoactive recreational drugs.
Although I don't think his hat is positioned the way it is in the sketch or the way the hat was sewn to be worn, it may be that the sun was in his eyes or is in his eyes. Winter sun seems to be uncomfortable sometimes for our line of sight vision more than spring to fall sun/earth position. It would make a fairly good facial disguise at certain angles, and he can't wear a ski mask in a park without raising alarm, I'd think.

My impression of the amount of clothing is that he's overdressed to conceal items. Really, a no brainer as the outlines of some items are so clear.
IMO, he is wearing layers of unneeded clothing as a possible disguise of his true size of sorts and the jacket or a vest underneath is obviously bulging unnaturally. I believe part of his clothing being used to hold and conceal large-ish items.

I'm thinking the larger square or rectangular shape in his clothing is a hidden small e- tablet or iPad type device..
My impression of the smaller bulge in the jacket is that it's the right size for a box of some types of hand gun ammo. There's another protrusion which might be a hidden gun. I'm not sure, never having seen but one hidden gun under clothing. It was in a shoulder holster.

JMO, of course, with respect to all. :cool:

How was the abandoned CSX railroad bridge, which is 63 ft. over the body of water with no railings or side barriers of any type, approved for recreational use?
This looks incredibly hazardous to me.
DH tells me that one month after the murders, a fence- type barrier was put up and planned permanent side railings were being discussed with CSX.

Am I correct in thinking this was CSX property and not park property?
How common was it for people to walk on that thing to the other end and were there ever reports of anyone falling or jumping off?
I'm asking because there is a type of killer who will relive and recreate something they have seen happen or made happen.
If people ever fell or were pushed off the bridge, it would be public knowledge, I'd think.

Anyone from the area know how much use it received, if adults routinely were bored enough to traverse it, and is there a way through the park without ever using the bridge? Also, when the railroad ceased to use it for transportation in 1986, were any barriers ever put up at either end or both ends?

Is there any valid reason to think one or both of the girls were thrown off the bridge?

I had thought they were in a safe area, but by definition, they were not. The park is a safe area, more than likely, but that bridge is not safe for any person to be on because it lacked side supports/ railings at that time.

I recall the first reports that a man forced them down a hill in a field. Would this field likely be on the park property too?

It was very common for people to walk across the Monon High Bridge. The Monon High Bridge Trail was very popular, and many who hiked the trail also walked the bridge.

The bridge was a popular spot for photography, and bridge enthusiasts would travel to Delphi to see this historic bridge.

Here is a newspaper article I came across from 2007 regarding the historic trail and bridge:

Hikers experience beauty of Delphi Historic Trail

Yikes this photo should be attached to the following post #427 in which I explain my theory.

Not sure why but the editor formatted my post with this thumbnail and my theory as two separate posts?o_O

Attachments

• E4F0A10E-50EE-44D6-A510-FA1F539716D5.jpeg
    E4F0A10E-50EE-44D6-A510-FA1F539716D5.jpeg
    64.7 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
This is just a theory on the type of hat and how BG could have styled the camouflage hat. If you cannot make out the cropped photo posted at bottom of my message then just skip past and scroll down to the next thread post. I did the best job I could of my crop.I even circled the brim for emphasis.

redfisher78’ posted on one of the threads ‘on the type’ of hat BG was wearing in Libby’s photo. I am posting just a cropped version based on redfisher78 theory.

Look at my previous post #426. The thumbnail is accropped photo of how BG could modifythe ‘brim’ of the camouflage hat he wears in the DM camouflage photo.
Indiana man who looks like Delphi suspect is 'weird' and 'violent' | Daily Mail Online

Perhaps that could be why some posters see him wearing a camouflage baseball hat. I remember Websleuth member ‘Savoy6’ and myself posted something to that effect that we were also struck with the likeness redfisher78 photo.

Here is just an example of what I’m referring to in my cropped thumbnail.

Remember this is my theory. This post is just my opinion.

Last edited:
I've not seen the video captures of the man called Bridge Guy or BG before tonight, nor have I previously heard the audio clip. I can't believe there's a photo of either a witness or a possible POI.
I had a heck of a time with the Indy paper pop ups continuously, but tried to enlarge the photo to see more details. I really wasn't successful. I would like to see a clear enlargement with a forensic lab cleanup and enhancement of facial features.

Audio-I don't personally hear anything unusual in the very short audio clip. My impression is that English is his first and major language; that he's not using a forceful or harsh tone of voice but perhaps a tiny bit rushed. I don't believe his voice is disguised in any way.

I'd describe his physical characteristics as having rather short legs compared to his trunk with what appears to be excess weight in abdomen, consistent with middle age body changes.

I believe he has plain dark brown or black hair, medium complexion, hint of a dark slight beard or just unshaven for a few days. I really can't tell a lot of difference between what some men pass off as beards now and just not shaving but every 3-4 days. I do not see ANY red in hair or beard, and complexion is a bit dark compared to the natural redheads I've known. His beard likely is redder than the hair on his head if the sketch and photo are of the same man, which I'm actually not sure of.

When I look at the sketch, I see a big nose, messy hair, reddish beard. Those features do not seem to be in the photo, but it's blurry. Likewise, witness recollections of a face are often not accurate.

My general impression of his age is late 40's to mid 50's. Not younger. Possibly a bit older. One thing that seems a bit at odds to me is that his voice sounds like an older man than 40s to mid 50s to me.

I don't see signs of stress in his body stance or what I can see of his face. He looks relaxed, not angry or with an anticipatory glare or aggressive stance towards Libby. who was recording the audio and video. Hands in pockets- men do that when strolling without any anticipation of aggression, but also when concealing a small gun,ready to use with his hand so close, so I can't determine if this is a casual stance or one that's necessary for control in the near future. I tend to think it's just hands in pockets and at least one gun is more securely affixed to some part of his over-ample clothing.
Observation and analysis of facial expressions and stress manifested in areas of the body is a large part of my career, and I don't see a stressed person. Not overly confident, not predatory, not angry, just casual.

To stroll on that bridge with hands in pockets says to me he's not nervous about his location on the CSX bridge, and trusts his balance very well. Thus, he is probably not under the influence of alcohol or psychoactive recreational drugs.
Although I don't think his hat is positioned the way it is in the sketch or the way the hat was sewn to be worn, it may be that the sun was in his eyes or is in his eyes. Winter sun seems to be uncomfortable sometimes for our line of sight vision more than spring to fall sun/earth position. It would make a fairly good facial disguise at certain angles, and he can't wear a ski mask in a park without raising alarm, I'd think.

My impression of the amount of clothing is that he's overdressed to conceal items. Really, a no brainer as the outlines of some items are so clear.
IMO, he is wearing layers of unneeded clothing as a possible disguise of his true size of sorts and the jacket or a vest underneath is obviously bulging unnaturally. I believe part of his clothing being used to hold and conceal large-ish items.

I'm thinking the larger square or rectangular shape in his clothing is a hidden small e- tablet or iPad type device..
My impression of the smaller bulge in the jacket is that it's the right size for a box of some types of hand gun ammo. There's another protrusion which might be a hidden gun. I'm not sure, never having seen but one hidden gun under clothing. It was in a shoulder holster.

Thank you SeekingJana for trying to refocus things on the facts of this case. Admittedly there are few that have been released to us. Here’s a little of what I remember about certain things and what I think, which of course would be just my opinion.
1) My opinion is the killer is not local. I think he would have been caught by now. I do think he is very familiar with those trails for some reason. We all have places and areas outside our hometown we enjoy and are familiar with, same with this guy.
2) This guy I think had killed before. I think either something set him off and he went into a type of rage or he saw an opportunity with Libby and Abby being rather isolated on the bridge.
3) Either the families or LE said at some point that there is no evidence on social media that the girls were catfished or had planned on meeting up with anyone at the trails. It was a spur of the moment decision to go there and enjoy a beautiful day.
4) There has never been a clear indication from LE on how the killer left the crime scene. My sense is they don’t know. There were some vague “be on look out for” things very early(people walking with duffle bags, non-descript cars, etc). The inability to figure this out is a major stumbling block in the investigation in my opinion.
5) LE has never stated they had DNA from the killer. They have danced around this question from the get go. They said early that they had DNA and it was having to be sorted out(family members, friends, search party members, etc). To me this meant LE only had touch DNA. More recently they have made confusing statements talking about using familial DNA but have never stated they have any DNA in this case to submit for that testing. Much talk early on about LE collecting cigarette butts near the crime scene and perhaps they would be a source of DNA. This never made sense to me. The crime took place in a very short period of time. I couldn’t see the killer taking time to smoke before getting out of there. I hope though I am wrong about thinking they have no DNA.
6) The Bridge Guy was initially wanted by LE as a possible witness, who might have helpful information, but when no one came forward I guess they figured if he didn’t want to help he must be the killer. They could have gotten additional info I guess from Libby’s phone also. The photo of BG according to LE has been enhanced as much as it possibly can. The FBI, NASA, and I think even Disney has worked on it. Probably other professionals too. What we have is, unfortunately, as good as it’s going to get.
It was nice to talk about specifics again. My thoughts are that BG will only be caught when he is arrested for some other crime and they can connect him to Delphi. A quarter million dollar award and no one has come forward so that’s not happening. LE begs for our help but gives us no info to work with. I know their working hard and want it solved but I think they need to release a little more, not all, information.

Thank you SeekingJana for trying to refocus things on the facts of this case. Admittedly there are few that have been released to us. Here’s a little of what I remember about certain things and what I think, which of course would be just my opinion.
1) My opinion is the killer is not local. I think he would have been caught by now. I do think he is very familiar with those trails for some reason. We all have places and areas outside our hometown we enjoy and are familiar with, same with this guy.
2) This guy I think had killed before. I think either something set him off and he went into a type of rage or he saw an opportunity with Libby and Abby being rather isolated on the bridge.
3) Either the families or LE said at some point that there is no evidence on social media that the girls were catfished or had planned on meeting up with anyone at the trails. It was a spur of the moment decision to go there and enjoy a beautiful day.
4) There has never been a clear indication from LE on how the killer left the crime scene. My sense is they don’t know. There were some vague “be on look out for” things very early(people walking with duffle bags, non-descript cars, etc). The inability to figure this out is a major stumbling block in the investigation in my opinion.
5) LE has never stated they had DNA from the killer. They have danced around this question from the get go. They said early that they had DNA and it was having to be sorted out(family members, friends, search party members, etc). To me this meant LE only had touch DNA. More recently they have made confusing statements talking about using familial DNA but have never stated they have any DNA in this case to submit for that testing. Much talk early on about LE collecting cigarette butts near the crime scene and perhaps they would be a source of DNA. This never made sense to me. The crime took place in a very short period of time. I couldn’t see the killer taking time to smoke before getting out of there. I hope though I am wrong about thinking they have no DNA.
6) The Bridge Guy was initially wanted by LE as a possible witness, who might have helpful information, but when no one came forward I guess they figured if he didn’t want to help he must be the killer. They could have gotten additional info I guess from Libby’s phone also. The photo of BG according to LE has been enhanced as much as it possibly can. The FBI, NASA, and I think even Disney has worked on it. Probably other professionals too. What we have is, unfortunately, as good as it’s going to get.
It was nice to talk about specifics again. My thoughts are that BG will only be caught when he is arrested for some other crime and they can connect him to Delphi. A quarter million dollar award and no one has come forward so that’s not happening. LE begs for our help but gives us no info to work with. I know their working hard and want it solved but I think they need to release a little more, not all, information.

Probably the least amount of info ever released in a double murder of two girls, one of whom had the foresight or luck or something to actually record a possible POI.

They should have called in the FBI when the girls went missing, IMO.

Thanks so much for what you've added and said. I don't really know how everyone has dealt with what almost seems like an attempt to protect " evidence" when what they're very close to doing is protecting the perp. over the victims.

We don't need to know graphic specifics related to SA. We never need to know those details in any case, IMO, especially if the family members request it to be withheld.

Your post caused me to wonder if the perp. played or walked in the park when he was a child, and if it was a happy place for him then. A great number of killers who are serial killers have a favored hunting ground. I have no idea if this perp. is a repeat killer, of course, since we know so little, but from what we know, no signs of extreme disorganization like a first time or one time killer to me.

This is just a theory on the type of hat and how BG could have styled the camouflage hat. If you cannot make out the cropped photo posted at bottom of my message then just skip past and scroll down to the next thread post. I did the best job I could of my crop.I even circled the brim for emphasis.

redfisher78’ posted on one of the threads ‘on the type’ of hat BG was wearing in Libby’s photo. I am posting just a cropped version based on redfisher78 theory.

Look at my previous post #426. The thumbnail is accropped photo of how BG could modifythe ‘brim’ of the camouflage hat he wears in the DM camouflage photo.
Indiana man who looks like Delphi suspect is 'weird' and 'violent' | Daily Mail Online

Perhaps that could be why some posters see him wearing a camouflage baseball hat. I remember Websleuth member ‘Savoy6’ and myself posted something to that effect that we were also struck with the likeness redfisher78 photo.

Here is just an example of what I’m referring to in my cropped thumbnail.

Remember this is my theory. This post is just my opinion.

It appears clear to me from the officially released video still that the hat was modified to the point of looking deformed. Doesn't sit on his head correctly and the seaming is off. Flattened seams to bring it lower on the head and towards the face, IMO.

It was very common for people to walk across the Monon High Bridge. The Monon High Bridge Trail was very popular, and many who hiked the trail also walked the bridge.

The bridge was a popular spot for photography, and bridge enthusiasts would travel to Delphi to see this historic bridge.

Here is a newspaper article I came across from 2007 regarding the historic trail and bridge:

Hikers experience beauty of Delphi Historic Trail

Hi, and thanks for the link. I read this article with my DH last night. ( He's a train buff and attended Purdue).
I guess it's all what you are used to, but nothing would get me on a bridge 63 feet above Deer Creek without any side protection. It's not safe!

I agree that the area is rustically natural and picturesque , and likely a nice place for locals to picnic.

Back to the murders:
Since some killers will use what's at hand to dispose of bodies, I have wondered greatly if he threw or pushed their remains off the bridge. The water would have carried them downstream, probably. The movement likely would obscure the actual crime scene or crime scenes, IMO.

We of course do not have info about this, it's one of those things that jump out at me. IF ( and it's a big IF) the above is true, then I guess it worked, since no one walked upon a crime scene as far as we know. I've only read that " searchers" whom I take to be LE officers working together found their remains approx. 1.5 miles from where they were last seen.
IF volunteer searchers had found a body, or both bodies, someone would likely have talked not out of disrespect but because it's such a tragic and shocking thing to happen in or near a park so many people seem to love. Since it is all so protected and secretive, I believe LE found their bodies. I'm sorry this is a bit graphic. No other way to talk about postmortem behavior and its actions upon the deceased victims as far as I know.

JMO, respectfully.

Last edited:

So many great observations! Thank you for all the insight in your posts. I think you would be wonderful working as a profiler.

About a year after the murders, the Delphi investigators asked the FBI to review everything they had. Here's a summary of that:

"Call 6 Investigates has learned that Delphi investigators have asked the Georgia Bureau of Investigations and agents from other FBI field offices to look over the case with a fresh set of eyes in and offer recommendations in the hopes of finding the missing puzzle piece that will help them solve the crimes.

Those recommendations and conclusions are not being released to the public, but the expertise of outside departments is meant to assist in making sure that no stone is left unturned in the search for Libby and Abby's killer.

Indiana State Police say they have worked with a number of agencies across the country as they track down leads from the thousands of tips they have received."

Source for above:
Georgia investigators, FBI review Delphi case

So I would think LE, with the help of the FBI, has a profile of the perpetrator, but none of that information has been released to the public.

I don't believe the girls were pushed off the bridge. I think they were likely made to walk to where they were murdered:
"Their bodies were found about 24 hours later near Deer Creek, a half mile east of the the bridge."
Delphi murders: What we know nearly two years after the slayings of Abby and Libby

ETA: StarryStarryNight, wonderful additional information and insights!

Last edited:
=IF volunteer searchers had found a body, or both bodies, someone would likely have talked not out of disrespect but because it's such a tragic and shocking thing to happen in or near a park so many people seem to love. Since it is all so protected and secretive, I believe LE found their bodies. I'm sorry this is a bit graphic. No other way to talk about postmortem behavior and its actions upon the deceased victims as far as I know.

<Snipped>

Volunteers found their bodies and LG's sister was within ear shot when they found them. IIRC they hollered up to the sister asking what color of shoes were they wearing. More details of the finding were mentioned during the Dr. Phil interview which you should be able to find

Volunteers found the bodies, and remember, volunteers kept searching all night while LE had called off the search.

Some have speculated that the crime scene was contaminated by volunteer search party members walking through the area. Also, concerns have been raised because search party members weren’t registered and didn’t have to provide ID. I have never been involved in a search party but other members had stated the usual procedure involved checking ID and logging names of participants.

My own opinion.

So many great observations! Thank you for all the insight in your posts. I think you would be wonderful working as a profiler.

About a year after the murders, the Delphi investigators asked the FBI to review everything they had. Here's a summary of that:

"Call 6 Investigates has learned that Delphi investigators have asked the Georgia Bureau of Investigations and agents from other FBI field offices to look over the case with a fresh set of eyes in and offer recommendations in the hopes of finding the missing puzzle piece that will help them solve the crimes.

Those recommendations and conclusions are not being released to the public, but the expertise of outside departments is meant to assist in making sure that no stone is left unturned in the search for Libby and Abby's killer.

Indiana State Police say they have worked with a number of agencies across the country as they track down leads from the thousands of tips they have received."

Source for above:
Georgia investigators, FBI review Delphi case

So I would think LE, with the help of the FBI, has a profile of the perpetrator, but none of that information has been released to the public.

I don't believe the girls were pushed off the bridge. I think they were likely made to walk to where they were murdered:
"Their bodies were found about 24 hours later near Deer Creek, a half mile east of the the bridge."
Delphi murders: What we know nearly two years after the slayings of Abby and Libby

ETA: StarryStarryNight, wonderful additional information and insights!

Choochoobella, huge thanks to you and StarryStarryNight!

I do remember that the GBI was asked to review the work done on the case now. Also, that the case info was sent to the former Director of the FBI, Comey. ( I think he's no longer the director, hard to keep up).

I think the Georgia division of the FBI has done really great work over the years and they likely gave ISP a list of suggestions of avenues to pursue, along with points they agreed on and possibly some they questioned.
I've seen one of these agency to out of state agency brainstorming reports but do not recall which case off the top of my head.
This type of case information, IF the entire case files are sent for review and examination and none are held back, increases the families' and the gen. interested population's confidence in the ISP. An agency which is a solid, confident department with no glaring mistakes to hide, most likely, is much more proactive to submit an ongoing investigation for peer review and future suggestions.

I hope, a few days from now on the 2nd anniversary since the murders, the ISP will hold a presser and at least say that some to good progress has been made in the cases.
It was really touching to read statements and words of both grief and hope from the interviews with Delphi residents.

Sometimes, depending on possibly the demeanor of both LE and the victims' families, a small town can start off post- criminal acts with hostility, closed off, and resentful. At the bottom of this is usually fear.
I hope LEOs are learning that anger often masks fear.
Get help for the anger, give the people of the towns and cities positive outlets and praise for the things they've done which are helpful and you'll get a lot of tips, some info, and a great deal of support as the fear is replaced by confidence in the investigators. We saw an enormous amount of positivity recently in the Closs family cases. IMO, the presence of the FBI on the ground from the early days helped shape the tone and key words used with the public updates from the sheriff.

I believe the release of the still capture and the audio clip helped the students and the adults of Delphi greatly. I can't recall another double homicide case where such evidence was gathered and preserved. The perp.didn't catch her recording so it wasn't erased. She couldn't have known this ahead of time. Just wow.

Reading between the lines, yes, it seems likely that the authorities believe the girls died where they were found, described as one half mile eash, on the bank of Deer Creek.
LE was miles ahead of most homicide investigations from the beginning with the complete audio and video, which may have some really crucial evidence on it that hasn't been released for integrity of the investigation.

They also had, from the video, the starting point of the homicides, and they had the location where they likely were killed very shortly in the search. All in just over a day or two.
They have his DNA. It's stated, then backtracked just a tiny bit in the same statement with the " Sure, everyone has DNA" etc.
He wasn't in CODIS, but there'll be a way to trace at least one relatives' complete profile online in gedmatch and zero in.

<Snipped>

Volunteers found their bodies and LG's sister was within ear shot when they found them. IIRC they hollered up to the sister asking what color of shoes were they wearing. More details of the finding were mentioned during the Dr. Phil interview which you should be able to find
I had just read that volunteers were involved in the searches for the girls. I didn't know family members were nearby.
Thank you for the info about the Dr. Phil episode. I am interested in what the family has to say and what he possibly added ( not sure til I see it).

Thanks to all of you who are regular case posters. Things which I questioned have been made clear with kindness and much patience. I appreciate it so greatly. You're all cool. :cool:

Volunteers found the bodies, and remember, volunteers kept searching all night while LE had called off the search.

Some have speculated that the crime scene was contaminated by volunteer search party members walking through the area. Also, concerns have been raised because search party members weren’t registered and didn’t have to provide ID. I have never been involved in a search party but other members had stated the usual procedure involved checking ID and logging names of participants.

My own opinion.

Current SOP is for ID to be presented. In the recent Closs family murders/ child abduction in WI, the FBI was in charge of all searches. Driver's licenses were submitted and entered before the search began. I believe their numbers may have been entered in the FBI database to weed out any convicted criminals. It also gave the authorities a complete list in case the perp. was a " volunteer searcher. "
Since the FBI followed a lengthy careful procedure, news outlets on the scene panned to the long lines and also reported how long the lines of waiting citizens in cold weather were. 2000 people in and close to a town with a total population of 3000 turned out when the sheriff asked for volunteers.

I don't know that I can pass any critical judgment on people who were allowed to search all night. They wanted to find those two girls, and they were allowed to search.

LE was responsible for telling people to stay away from the general area and patrolling to keep people away from the park and a radius around it, IMO.
If they lacked resources, which they'd assess right off the bat considering this was a large park in a small town, they had the FBI, the Indiana branch of the FBI, and obviously, the Indiana State Police to get to the area quickly and help either secure the area until daylight or search throughout the night with special equipment and possibly scent dogs.
There was a missing child case where curfew was ordered for all residents for a period of time. I'm thinking it was the Sandra Cantu murder.. not 100% sure.

Hindsight is perfect, but I definitely do not fault the volunteers, especially the likely frantic family members. Most of us would search for a loved one through bushes and weeds until our hands were bleeding and still not stop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jbohacek