Found Deceased IN - Abigail (Abby) Williams, 13, & Liberty (Libby) German, 14, The Delphi Murders 13 Feb 2017 #123

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think everything about this case is 50/50 until more information is released to the public because we do not know what happened, when it happened, how it happened, or who did it.

There are a lot of little clues from the April 2019 press conference. For example, when Supt. Carter said that they way the girls were left is not what they are experiencing today, what did that mean? I wondered, as I am sure others did, "How were they left?"

Does this killer actually hunt for 2 victims or was that just a coincidence because Abby and Libby were together?

There are a lot of questions with no answers.

In many cases I agree with the profile released by LE, but I think it could be how we perceive this killer that could be throwing everyone off in this case. If the killer ends up being between 18-40 and lived in the Delphi area when the crime happened, I would be surprised because of how much time has already passed in this investigation.

It just feels like, because of statements from LE, that this killer has some type of goal in mind and that he is not impulsive. But feelings do not solve cases when you have possible fingerprints and DNA evidence. It just feels like there is something strange about this case that makes it different.
I think heaens that the girls were left in a not-so-good state (obviously).bit now are whole, restored in heaven. JMO of course.

I'll throw my $.02 in here, FWIW.

Some people following this have their own fantasies about what happened, purely fantastical and tabloid-like fixations on what they think happened. Not sure how long you've been following, but here are some fantastical scenarios which have been thrown about, and quite frankly I've been surprised they were allowed here. There is no indication any of the following happened:

1. They were put into a vehicle on the driveway, driven away, tortured, raped, etc., then brought back at zero dark thirty on to RL's property and carefully placed there, my guess the distance from C.R. 300 to the CS is like 1,000 feet or more. This is one of the craziest and most outlandish theories.

2. One of RL's outbuildings were used for the torture, rape, and murders of the girls, Then they were placed at the CS. Which, of course, would have required BG to be there doing all of that, for a considerable length of time, then leave in the dark of evening or night.

3. The girls died at separate times, which may explain more why 1 and 2 are plausible.

4. Let your mind run wild...

I believe and have believed since days after the murders it is so cut-and-dry it would make a lot of heads spin, but it explains partly, at least, how he was able to slip out of there. It happened so quickly, not much really happened beyond the murders.

I believe they were abducted, murdered, and he slipped away within about a 25 minute or so time span.

My unscientific generic profile of BG says that he gets off on the aftermath, attention, sensationalism, etc., of his deeds.

JMO

I'll add my .02¢ to yours FWIW-absolutely agree with your assessment of what is accurate, and what is not. Thank you for addressing- sometimes it's hard to remember what is fact and what is rumor.

Considering the fact that LE has stated many times that:

(1) Both Girls were killed in the area they were found, shortly after the audio/video of BG was recorded. It has never been stated by LE that the Girls were removed from the scene by vehicle and brought back. (Rumor)
(2) Both Girls were killed in the area they were found, shortly after the audio/video of BG was recorded. It has never been stated by LE that the girls were held captive in a barn, a shed, or any other structure. (Rumor)
(3) Both Girls were killed (not separately at different times) in the area they were found, shortly after the audio/video of BG was recorded. Any theory other than ^ is based on nothing more than a social media rumor. Any screen shot of supposed text messages/posts indicating anything else have been declared false by both AW (mother), and individuals who have been verified to be at the crime scene upon discovery. Remember; it's not that hard to create a text message that is not real simply by adding your number to your contact list with a false name and sending a message to yourself. Pretty easy to make a fake profile for social media accounts as well.
(4) I don't have a response for that one- it's pretty self explanatory.

Rumor (Not Allowed)
  1. a story or statement in general circulation without confirmation or certainty as to facts
  2. gossip; hearsay
Definition of rumor | Dictionary.com

Fact (Allowed)
  1. something that actually exists; reality; truth:
  2. something known to exist or to have happened
Definition of fact | Dictionary.com

There are a lot of little clues from the April 2019 press conference. For example, when Supt. Carter said that they way the girls were left is not what they are experiencing today, what did that mean? I wondered, as I am sure others did, "How were they left?"

(Snipped to address just this part and it’s my first time snipping so hope I did that right.)

This is such an odd statement in grammar and meaning. If I hadn’t heard the audio (a few times, at least) I would think there’s an error in the transcription. A teacher would send it back with a question mark in the margin. Just not a normal sentence.
So, if I can run wild for a minute, I’ll wonder if what the girls are experiencing today, in his belief system, is heaven (of course, right?) So then, the way he left them is with some posing, props, or other staging to represent hell or the devil.

Or, maybe his words just didn’t come out right.

I hope law enforcement didn't devote one minute to checking other cases of two murdered teenagers, or waste one minute by evaluating this case as an example of two murdered teenagers.

Bridge Guy inherited what he found. There is no chance he could risk exposure by being picky toward his ideal victims. This is a semi-remote and low traveled trail. It is ideal for this type of crime because the perpetrator can be incredibly confident that if he finds a victim there won't be anyone else to follow in close proximity, either location or time.

But if you are stubborn toward type of victim or number of victims then all of your situational advantages are steadily thrown away, and your jeopardy soars. Very few trail visitors cross that bridge in the first place. On any given day, and especially a given window within that day, it might be 3% likely that you'll show up and there will be an exact party of two crossing that bridge. Narrow it to two females and the odds plummet further. Narrow it to two teenage girls and the odds basically do not register at all.

That is the type of thing that apparently never occurs to law enforcement. They put on tunnel vision and write it down as two murdered teenage girls. The press conferences emotionally rant about two teenage girls and why Delphi.

Killers can be picky if they are mobile and within dependably populated areas. That's why there are so many cases of young girls kidnapped and murdered after being snatched from sidewalks, etc. The victim was random. The way it would happen was long planned. Given enough patience there was guaranteed to be a convergence of the perpetrator prowling and a young victim in a vulnerable spot. Matter of time. Those cases can be evaluated and categorized based on type of victim. Delphi cannot. Or should not.

John Kelly had to correct focus. I mentioned it here a month or two ago. He had a recent Delphi video in which he correctly emphasized that of all the theories about Bridge Guy, the one absolute, the one thing we know for sure, is that he is a trail killer.

Absolutely. That is where the spotlight should be.

Some people following this have their own fantasies about what happened, purely fantastical and tabloid-like fixations on what they think happened. Not sure how long you've been following, but here are some fantastical scenarios which have been thrown about, and quite frankly I've been surprised they were allowed here. There is no indication any of the following happened:

1. They were put into a vehicle on the driveway, driven away, tortured, raped, etc., then brought back at zero dark thirty on to RL's property and carefully placed there, my guess the distance from C.R. 300 to the CS is like 1,000 feet or more. This is one of the craziest and most outlandish theories.

2. One of RL's outbuildings were used for the torture, rape, and murders of the girls, Then they were placed at the CS. Which, of course, would have required BG to be there doing all of that, for a considerable length of time, then leave in the dark of evening or night.

3. The girls died at separate times, which may explain more why 1 and 2 are plausible.

I believe and have believed since days after the murders it is so cut-and-dry it would make a lot of heads spin, but it explains partly, at least, how he was able to slip out of there. It happened so quickly, not much really happened beyond the murders.

I believe they were abducted, murdered, and he slipped away within about a 25 minute or so time span.

My unscientific generic profile of BG says that he gets off on the aftermath, attention, sensationalism, etc., of his deeds.

JMO

Not to oppose your opinion, I think one has to consider how people think, and also, what they have to proceed from.

Three years without any concrete movement (but with YouTubes, podcasts, shows, DC’s commentaries, sketch No1, sketch No 2, fast-forward DNA, no DNA, readings) creates a very murky impression. In such cases, the trend is to go back to the origins, so to say, the initial articles. And I remember clearly the word “dumped”. I saw it in a local newspaper, early on, could not find it now, but here is another article from those days.

Girls in Snapchat Murders filmed 'stalker' suspect before being killed

How does one understand “killed and dumped”?

Pay attention, in that early article, there are two more things mentioned a) DNA; b) the possibility of two murderers. (“Cops are not saying if they think the man in the picture is definitely the one recorded talking and add that more than one killer may be involved.”)

Of course the Sun is a bona fife tabloid, with the circulation exceeding the ones frequently linked here, but all such cases are in tabloids. DC provides no information, but likes to drop mysterious hints, see the Shack. How are people to be blamed? Any model is based on the data fed into it.

I am skeptical of any existing theory, now, but anything goes, as long as they finally arrest the guy.

Last edited:
I’m just curious, do you recall if Carter actually referred to the suspect as “living in Delphi”? Below he’s indeed linked to that actual remark but what Sgt Riley is quoted as saying makes far more sense IMO.

The “Delphi area” isn’t an exact distance but it definitely broadens the possibilities considering the population of Delphi is only 3000, probably about half of whom are children and of the adults half are female. I have visions of enthusiastic amateur crime-solvers congregating on the small town eyeing, questioning and snapping photos of male possibilities walking down the street or inside of public buildings and I do hope that hasn’t happened. The public attention that’s attracted to a community following a high profile crime or event isn’t always positive. Through my own experience, it can also create a sort of inward, protective mindset amongst locals which could possibly pose an obstacle. It’s easy for Carter to make that comment, if he did, as he doesn’t work or live there.... just my thoughts...

BBM

Proximity of suspect: At the same April 2019 press conference, Doug Carter, superintendent of the Indiana State Police, said new information leads investigators to believe that the killer is from Delphi, and they believe he either still lives or works in Delphi, or frequently visits the area.

"We have a strong suspicion that the person is either from the area, has visited there before or has lived in the Delphi area for a number of years," said Sgt. Kim Riley of the State Police, who has served as a spokesman in the investigation.”
Delphi killings: What we know about killings of Abby and Libby
ISP Carter said, "...We also believe this person is from Delphi- currently, or has previously lived here, visits Delphi on a regular basis, or works here..."

DELPHI PRESS CONFERENCE TRANSCRIPT (2019) - CrimeLights

JMO
Snipped by me...BBM

"My unscientific generic profile of BG says that he gets off on the aftermath, attention, sensationalism, etc., of his deeds."

Do you think he actively became involved in the searching or he had to because it was expected of him?

I hope law enforcement didn't devote one minute to checking other cases of two murdered teenagers, or waste one minute by evaluating this case as an example of two murdered teenagers.

Bridge Guy inherited what he found. There is no chance he could risk exposure by being picky toward his ideal victims. This is a semi-remote and low traveled trail. It is ideal for this type of crime because the perpetrator can be incredibly confident that if he finds a victim there won't be anyone else to follow in close proximity, either location or time.

But if you are stubborn toward type of victim or number of victims then all of your situational advantages are steadily thrown away, and your jeopardy soars. Very few trail visitors cross that bridge in the first place. On any given day, and especially a given window within that day, it might be 3% likely that you'll show up and there will be an exact party of two crossing that bridge. Narrow it to two females and the odds plummet further. Narrow it to two teenage girls and the odds basically do not register at all.

That is the type of thing that apparently never occurs to law enforcement. They put on tunnel vision and write it down as two murdered teenage girls. The press conferences emotionally rant about two teenage girls and why Delphi.

Killers can be picky if they are mobile and within dependably populated areas. That's why there are so many cases of young girls kidnapped and murdered after being snatched from sidewalks, etc. The victim was random. The way it would happen was long planned. Given enough patience there was guaranteed to be a convergence of the perpetrator prowling and a young victim in a vulnerable spot. Matter of time. Those cases can be evaluated and categorized based on type of victim. Delphi cannot. Or should not.

John Kelly had to correct focus. I mentioned it here a month or two ago. He had a recent Delphi video in which he correctly emphasized that of all the theories about Bridge Guy, the one absolute, the one thing we know for sure, is that he is a trail killer.

Interesting. @Awsi Dooger, you traveled to Delphi and I remember, you said that it would not take long to find the bridge and even the spot, if the person had good visuospatial orientation (my understanding of what you said, I know you formulated it differently, about kids with different abilities).

There are many trails in the country, and some are known better than others for the amount of victims on them.

Is it remotely possible for the killer to be out of state?

Do you think his main “official” hobby is hiking?

Considering one/two killers theory, could it, indeed, be a couple of friends keen on hiking? I know it is uncommon, but there are outliers in all crimes.

You guys got so many great points. I kept coming back to Delphi while doing this and that the cemetary has be. I thought about him getting dropped off, someone would tell/know, or parking nearby, it would be noticed. BUT, in the cemetary there's hardly anyone. I'm sorry as kids, at least us american kids, we hung out there at time skippin school because there isn't anyone. NOW I'm stopping myself to add this: since there are kids there/trail, maybe some were near/in cemetary??? Maybe thinks they will get in trouble? Anyone ping friends of theirs?

Creepy but yeah I'd agree, a spot- I got the feeling Lovely Bones when I started reading up on this. Well hidden and planned. As in that movie, you wouldn't know about the bunker. Same with the under ground bunkers in war, we had no idea they would come from below/Tet strike-Art of War taught me a lil.

I saw 2 white dog in a previous video looked like terrier and those are lil snappers. I wonder if either dog received an injury? How does the owner keep them?

The "lair" should be by the creek, within walking distance at least if you have a lair. He wouldn't use a building that's not absolute control-absolute control is in your bunker. I'd be flipping over trees and using sticks to poke the ground. Maybe some type of echo radar? would give an indentation mark, I think, to find a frickin "lair"?

I'd say, hunting knife and gun (can I speculate that?) because those are common for hunting/camping. I will not outright say I believe those to be used in this ahem. But, if I were to subdue 2 people esp fit teen, they would be afraid of bullets than possibly getting a branch/rock to hit me. I'd point at the little one, to control the bigger threat. Tell em keep on walking.

BG had to of planned, the outfit is enough for me. Time of day, when park would close, not many people going in that direction. The girls thought they would run into someone at least. Should of tried 911 but instead recorded in case others could help.

BG isn't scared of being recorded, he covered up enough to not be recognized. He probably doesn't have a criminal record to worry about. Had to of left dna somewhere, but not worried, as long as he stays low.

So, he must maintain a job. Has to be a job that allows travel, do your dirt and not around long enough to get in trouble. But there's gotta be something, ticket/citation/something.

BG is bow-legged. I think an interview said, he's a teacher/his command, I think probably was/is retired Gym teacher. Now he's doing sales? or trucking??

Does his crime with his car parked in that cemetary, then off to home and off to work on the road. Not missing a beat, but LE would. I can't think this guy lives in his moms basement-I think he has a family. Edit2: yeah, he lives around there, probably was at that LE press release too or at least watching it

He is a coward, he creeps and waits for people in open places where we feel safe. He's old tho, I'm worried he'll die before they get him. I feel bad for any guy who looks like him near edit: me-stink eye hard.

Edit3: Low key, not bars/trouble, church/like knights of columbus/goodfellows type group, probably even played Santa Claus or Kenny Rodgers (don't ask IDK), brunette wife, at least 1 son, maybe 2, 1 in college 1 to graduate high school? Took his son out to trail to scope it out without suspicion?
Yep I'm reaching Edit4: SUPER REACH-I'd post on social media about my outing with my dad. Geotag search of images within the week prior to this event?

About the lair. Could the supports of the bridge be used for it? They are old but made of stone.

If not - I’d look for something like nuclear shelters left from the Cold War. I googled it, found an article about NK and a list of places to hide in.

Advice for Hoosiers in event of nuclear attack

There is a phrase like “If your community has no designated fallout shelters, make a list of potential shelters near your home, workplace and school, such as basements, subways, tunnels, or the windowless center area of middle floors in a high-rise building.“. Tunnels? Abandoned CPS building?
I think this Indiana Historical societies might know of any near MHB.

All your describing is hunter behavior. The way in which any animal predator makes decisions. While I'm certain there are humans who act like animal predators, just the fact that they're human means it's probably a bit more complicated and not as simple...going against human society.

I know you like to think statistically. Every case also makes it's own unique statistics. Even if two murders are done by the same killer, there will be differences...statistically. Even though LE look to the similarities of crimes when trying to track a repeat offender, the differences can end up changing the investigation and solving a crime.

I for one think LE are trained very well and also should bring their humanity to the job, it's a vocation. AJMO

Not to oppose your opinion, I think one has to consider how people think, and also, what they have to proceed from.

Three years without any concrete movement (but with YouTubes, podcasts, shows, DC’s commentaries, sketch No1, sketch No 2, fast-forward DNA, no DNA, readings) creates a very murky impression. In such cases, the trend is to go back to the origins, so to say, the initial articles. And I remember clearly the word “dumped”. I saw it in a local newspaper, early on, could not find it now, but here is another article from those days.

Girls in Snapchat Murders filmed 'stalker' suspect before being killed

How does one understand “killed and dumped”?

Pay attention, in that early article, there are two more things mentioned a) DNA; b) the possibility of two murderers. (“Cops are not saying if they think the man in the picture is definitely the one recorded talking and add that more than one killer may be involved.”)

Of course the Sun is a bona fife tabloid, with the circulation exceeding the ones frequently linked here, but all such cases are in tabloids. DC provides no information, but likes to drop mysterious hints, see the Shack. How are people to be blamed? Any model is based on the data fed into it.

I am skeptical of any existing theory, now, but anything goes, as long as they finally arrest the guy.
ISP Carter did specify at the April 2019 PC...

"Please keep in mind the person talking is one person and is the person on the bridge with the girls. This is NOT two different people speaking- please listen to it very, very carefully."

You are making a straw-man argument in that LE has never stated that the selection of two victims was a defining part of BG's M.O. However, I also agree with John Kelly about BG's being a trail killer.
-
Many so-called trail killers—murderers who stalk remote areas knowing that even if they have to wait a while for a victim or victims to show up, when that time comes there will be no witnesses and no security cameras—are relatively indiscriminate about selecting victims. Their victims may include both males and females and both minors and adults. There have been killers like BG for eons—sneaky cowards
who waylay vulnerable victims in the middle of nowhere. It seems likely that the attack was sexually motivated, so BG may only target females, but I would be reluctant to hang my hat on any definite age preference. He might have targeted an adult female if she had struck him as submissive; he might have targeted younger children had they happened along, but then again, younger children might not have fit his fantasy. We don't know.

Nevertheless, LE would be remiss if they did not consider the possibility that BG has a predilection for selecting two victims.
LE would also be remiss if they didn't consider the possibility that BG favors young teen victims. LE has to consider every angle when looking for parallels with other cases. They understand probabilities very well—they have experts dedicated to statistical analysis—but they don't limit themselves to the single most probable scenario. They do prioritize their theories, but they are tasked with running every lead to ground until the case is solved.

Last edited:

I absolutely appreciated your thoughts and photos of the trail system within the MHB area. I can also appreciate the fact that you have based your beliefs/theories upon your visit that day.

What I have a little difficulty understanding is why you (seem to) have tunnel vision based upon one visit. You have been quite adamant about why BG chose this spot; "a semi-remote and low traveled trail. It is ideal for this type of crime because the perpetrator can be incredibly confident that if he finds a victim there won't be anyone else to follow in close proximity, either location or time".

I guess the difficulty for me is this: if you only visited the trail system once after the crime occurred, how can you be so certain what the trail was like prior to the abduction and murder of two young girls? I know, I know- you've watched numerous YouTube reenactment videos, and no one was ever there. That's the problem, these reenactment videos were filmed after 02/13/2017. After there was a double murder that caused apprehension and fear about being there. If that trail was so desolate on that day, why was BG even there looking for a victim that would most likely never show up? Why do you suppose there are witnesses (note- plural), there that day (at the same time as Abby and Libby), who provided information to LE, and contributed to the sketches (again- plural). Why is it that over 100 people showed up in the dark, and knew how to maneuver around the bridge and trail system searching for the girls? How could a witness give a witness statement if they were not there witnessing the events?

If you have the time, it might be worthwhile to read some of the early threads. We've had several locals join in the discussion here. Some of them grew up playing on those trails, fishing the creek, and hanging out with friends- the brave ones crossed the bridge. On numerous occasions. They now take (or took, I should say) their children and grandchildren to do the same. Believe it or not, that park was not a desolate empty space that no one knew about or went to, despite what you may think or read about on social media from people who live states away and have never visited either before or after.

As to your comments regarding LE- well, let's just say it's their job to know statistics, how to profile perpetrators, and to investigate any and all leads. Including prior crimes that may be similar. You're a numbers guy- made your living using averages and statistics. Why shouldn't LE do the same? Once evidence is thrown in, I'd say they have pretty good odds at solving a case.

Last edited:
ISP Carter said, "...We also believe this person is from Delphi- currently, or has previously lived here, visits Delphi on a regular basis, or works here..."

DELPHI PRESS CONFERENCE TRANSCRIPT (2019) - CrimeLights

Thank you, yes then another example of his comments made during the PC last year later being restated by other investigators, this time focus on the Delphi area. I can see why “from Delphi” is misleading and why it may’ve caused people to think LE knows who the suspect is, given the small population of adult males who resemble the photo or sketches.

JMO, if LE intend on solving this case by receiving that one good tip, that one piece of the puzzle that’s missing, it’s time for them to once again provide an update. This time appealing directly to whoever they think might have the information they believe will assist them while pledging the safety of tipsters, without any grandiose dramatics.

I'd give 10 to 1 odds that LE has a suspect that was identified from the original bridge photo.

They need more info in order to arrest them.. not near enough evidence to prosecute... but that they need the public's help is ALSO identifying him there or elsewhere.

Just my opinion.

Thank you, yes then another example of his comments made during the PC last year later being restated by other investigators, this time focus on the Delphi area. I can see why “from Delphi” is misleading and why it may’ve caused people to think LE knows who the suspect is, given the small population of adult males who resemble the photo or sketches.

JMO, if LE intend on solving this case by receiving that one good tip, that one piece of the puzzle that’s missing, it’s time for them to once again provide an update. This time appealing directly to whoever they think might have the information they believe will assist them while pledging the safety of tipsters, without any grandiose dramatics.
I agree that LE never meant that BG necessarily lived inside the Delphi town limits. (The crime didn't even occur within the Delphi town limits.) In a rural area like that, anyone living or working in the county or an adjacent county would be considered "local."

I agree that LE never meant that BG necessarily lived inside the Delphi town limits. (The crime didn't even occur within the Delphi town limits.) In a rural area like that, anyone living or working in the county or an adjacent county would be considered "local."

I agree although, for example the distance between Delphi and Lafayette with a far larger population of over 120k is less than 20 miles away. In rural areas people often associate themselves with the largest of service centres nearby.

On the topic of Lafayette, I notice quite a high crime rate, higher than 82.4% of US cities in 2018, not that it points to anything in particular other than the city has a larger share of non-law abiding citizens.
https://www.city-data.com/crime/crime-Lafayette-Indiana.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members