Found Deceased IN - Abigail (Abby) Williams, 13, & Liberty (Libby) German, 14, The Delphi Murders 13 Feb 2017 #145

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just saw a post on another thread that made sense to me regarding this case. Perhaps an arrest had not been made simply because once they do make an arrest discovery becomes an issue. If they know the suspect is going nowhere because they are in jail facing other charges they don’t have to show the defense any of LE’s case. LE has more time to strengthen the murder case and look for additional crimes involved.

“-at least via a connection to his dad.”

It certainly seemed in the interview that the detective was more interested in TK than KAK for Delphi and he seems like a better fit to me. It also sounds like KAK’s phone was not at the bridge during the crime (the phone was at his dealers, near his grandparents’ house). Doesn’t mean he wasn’t but…

I do think KAK knows a lot more than he’s telling LE and likely protecting someone.

Dad would match. Better physically, for me.

I just saw a post on another thread that made sense to me regarding this case. Perhaps an arrest had not been made simply because once they do make an arrest discovery becomes an issue. If they know the suspect is going nowhere because they are in jail facing other charges they don’t have to show the defense any of LE’s case. LE has more time to strengthen the murder case and look for additional crimes involved.

That and I've noticed LE will get 'associates' of a perp in jail, too, to try and get them to talk. Some people with records, drug issues, etc., are easy targets regarding that tactic.

I wonder if KAK was under surveillance for a while, Miami Cty could have granted a sealed warrant for LE.

JMO

In response to the question of why it took so long for ISP to arrest KK:

<snipped>
The Indiana State Police has received many media inquiries since our December 6th press release concerning "anthony_shots" and eventually the identification of Kegan Kline. Your questions are certainly relevant as they relate to a long, complex, and extremely complicated murder investigation.

During the last nearly five years, we have conducted dozens of secondary investigations based on information we received. One of those investigations included a Possession of Child *advertiser censored* case resulting in the arrest of Kegan Kline. The information we had, have, and continue to receive concerning Kline has ebbed and flowed over these last few years. We understand there was a period of time that passed between 2017 and 2020 when Kline was not arrested and incarcerated for Possession of Child *advertiser censored*. Once the Indiana State Police presented the criminal case to the Miami County Prosecutor in June of 2020, immediate action was taken by both the Indiana State Police and the Miami County Prosecutor's Office, which ultimately resulted in Kline's arrest.

Like so many other pieces of this investigation, we will always review, learn from, and make any necessary adjustments. We do not believe that any person has done anything intentionally wrong, but we will continue to critically evaluate our efforts.

ISP investigating Kegan Kline in connection with Delphi case | wthr.com

<snipped>
The Indiana State Police has received many media inquiries since our December 6th press release concerning "anthony_shots" and eventually the identification of Kegan Kline. Your questions are certainly relevant as they relate to a long, complex, and extremely complicated murder investigation.

During the last nearly five years, we have conducted dozens of secondary investigations based on information we received. One of those investigations included a Possession of Child *advertiser censored* case resulting in the arrest of Kegan Kline. The information we had, have, and continue to receive concerning Kline has ebbed and flowed over these last few years. We understand there was a period of time that passed between 2017 and 2020 when Kline was not arrested and incarcerated for Possession of Child *advertiser censored*. Once the Indiana State Police presented the criminal case to the Miami County Prosecutor in June of 2020, immediate action was taken by both the Indiana State Police and the Miami County Prosecutor's Office, which ultimately resulted in Kline's arrest.

Like so many other pieces of this investigation, we will always review, learn from, and make any necessary adjustments. We do not believe that any person has done anything intentionally wrong, but we will continue to critically evaluate our efforts.

The answer to the question of why there was a 3 year delay went right over my head. "We understand there was a period of time..." is not an answer.

<snipped>

That is a strange statement. "We do not belive that any person has done anything intentionally wrong,"

MOO translates to mean that this lead was allowed to languish.

Last edited:
They never showed up, it eas anothernl
There's no trail there. It ends at the NW end of the bridge.

There's a private driveway.

Just wanted to clarify.
MOO there is the Railroad Right of Way that continues on from the bridge, and then what ever informal access trails there are on private property between residences and the creek.

<snipped>

This response is really a non-answer, though.

Once the Indiana State Police presented the criminal case to the Miami County Prosecutor in June of 2020, immediate action was taken by both the Indiana State Police and the Miami County Prosecutor's Office, which ultimately resulted in Kline's arrest.”

OKAY. But why did it take the ISP 3 years to present the criminal case to the prosecutor? And how, pray tell, does one respond to something they present to someone else?

There isn’t one iota of information revealed in this statement. It’s just more of the same ISP doublespeak I’ve come to expect, unfortunately.

The answer to the question of why there was a 3 year delay went right over my head. "We understand there was a period of time..." is not an answer.

IIRC there was an article or explanation that had something to do with software that was needed that wasn't available right away? Does anyone else recall this? I will try to find what I read .. it's been a while since I seen it.

This response is really a non-answer, though.

Once the Indiana State Police presented the criminal case to the Miami County Prosecutor in June of 2020, immediate action was taken by both the Indiana State Police and the Miami County Prosecutor's Office, which ultimately resulted in Kline's arrest.”

OKAY. But why did it take the ISP 3 years to present the criminal case to the prosecutor? And how, pray tell, does one respond to something they present to someone else?

There isn’t one iota of information revealed in this statement. It’s just more of the same ISP doublespeak I’ve come to expect, unfortunately.

Okay I found what I was looking for .. here is the thread where someone answered that question for me

Found Deceased - IN - Abigail (Abby) Williams, 13, & Liberty (Libby) German, 14, The Delphi Murders 13 Feb 2017 #139

and here is a link to the affidavit that explains what happened and why it took so long

https://www.wishtv.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/12/Kegan-Anthony-Kline-PC.pdf

Wonder what TKs alibi is?
And if KAK phone was at his grandparents house downloading CSM i hope they checked it wasnt a subscription ghat auto loaded to his phone.

So much of the communication was on KIK. KIK at the time was not safely managing it's platform and was a haven for child predators.

There is a CSAM case near me that was in the news recently for how wide-ranging it was and how long it took to arrest the person responsible. It took six years and evidence from 4 different states of possession, distribution, and manufacture of CSAM images. Investigators knew which IP address the images were coming from and being downloaded on, and they even knew who was likely responsible (key word: "likely") but they could not make their actual, winnable case that it was this particular person doing it because the device in question was shared among multiple people. They really had to dot every i and cross every t so that when they did arrest the person responsible, they had every shred of proof needed to convict him. And yes, more children were victimized, I'm sure, during the time it took LE to get the case together. I think LE had to ask themselves, do we want him to go away for a few months, or not at all, for simple possession? Or nail him for all of his crimes, including child sexual exploitation? I see a lot of parallels with KAK's situation and the shared devices, actually: Nashua pastor's arrest shocks community -- but not investigators

That is so sad. The investigator is right though, this pervades groups throughout the entirety of our society. :(

From what I understand it was more about securing the software that would extract the information they needed. Here's one more post that explained it better

I am realizing I am super naive to think retrieving things from devices wouldn’t take 3 years. I was thinking KAK was not arrested earlier on the CSAM stuff for some strategic reason, but this makes it seem like it just took that long to get the evidence?

I am realizing I am super naive to think retrieving things from devices wouldn’t take 3 years. I was thinking KAK was not arrested earlier on the CSAM stuff for some strategic reason, but this makes it seem like it just took that long to get the evidence?

That's the way I understood it also .. I think once they had the software and were able to extract the info, then it moved quickly from there.

Okay I found what I was looking for .. here is the thread where someone answered that question for me

Found Deceased - IN - Abigail (Abby) Williams, 13, & Liberty (Libby) German, 14, The Delphi Murders 13 Feb 2017 #139

and here is a link to the affidavit that explains what happened and why it took so long

https://www.wishtv.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/12/Kegan-Anthony-Kline-PC.pdf
This is what the affidavit revealed —

2/25/2017
ISP, Peru PD, and FBI executed search warrant

KAK was interviewed by ISP & FBI

KAK admitted that he created the a_shots profile and used it to communicate with an unknown number of underage girls

KAK was polygraphed and said he received approximately 100 sexual photographs and 20 masturbation videos from girls between the ages of 15 and 17

Apple iPod Touch, iPhone 3, iPhone 4, Samsung Galaxy S5, Samsung Galaxy S4, and Nextbook tablet were seized during search

2/27/2017
KAK contacted the ISP Cyber Crimes unit and said he had located his iPhone 5C

3/2/2017
ISP Cyber Crimes unit obtained iPhone 5C from ISP Peru

4/24/2020
A new lead ISP investigator was assigned to the case

6/12/2020
The new investigator received the digital forensic examination report from ISP Sergeant Chris Cecil and reviewed it

6/18/2020
Multiple law enforcement agents met with Miami County prosecutor

However, the affidavit doesn’t say when the digital forensic examination was completed or by whom. It only tells us the new lead investigator (on which case, btw?) obtained the digital forensics report from another ISP officer in June 2020.

The FBI has been heavily involved with this investigation (meaning Abby & Libby’s) since the very moment the girls were reported missing. They even pointed the ISP in the direction of KAK. Cellebrite could extract deleted data from iPhones long before 2017, and the FBI most certainly had access to the products and knew how to use them.

All that is to say… the ISP hasn’t provided a logical explanation for the delay, IMO.

This is what the affidavit revealed —

2/25/2017
ISP, Peru PD, and FBI executed search warrant

KAK was interviewed by ISP & FBI

KAK admitted that he created the a_shots profile and used it to communicate with an unknown number of underage girls

KAK was polygraphed and said he received approximately 100 sexual photographs and 20 masturbation videos from girls between the ages of 15 and 17

Apple iPod Touch, iPhone 3, iPhone 4, Samsung Galaxy S5, Samsung Galaxy S4, and Nextbook tablet were seized during search

2/27/2017
KAK contacted the ISP Cyber Crimes unit and said he had located his iPhone 5C

3/2/2017
ISP Cyber Crimes unit obtained iPhone 5C from ISP Peru

4/24/2020
A new lead ISP investigator was assigned to the case

6/12/2020
The new investigator received the digital forensic examination report from ISP Sergeant Chris Cecil and reviewed it

6/18/2020
Multiple law enforcement agents met with Miami County prosecutor

However, the affidavit doesn’t say when the digital forensic examination was completed or by whom. It only tells us the new lead investigator (on which case, btw?) obtained the digital forensics report from another ISP officer in June 2020.

The FBI has been heavily involved with this investigation (meaning Abby & Libby’s) since the very moment the girls were reported missing. They even pointed the ISP in the direction of KAK. Cellebrite could extract deleted data from iPhones long before 2017, and the FBI most certainly had access to the products and knew how to use them.

All that is to say… the ISP hasn’t provided a logical explanation for the delay, IMO.

And so by Aug 2020 at the very latest LE knew anthony_shots had made online contact with Libby but they wait almost another year and a half - by now five years after the murders - before asking the public for information pertaining to contact or meetups with this fabricated online persona. I fear time is not on their side.

The technology existed before 2017. The FBI used Cellebrite to extract deleted data from the iPhones of Tammy and Sidney Moorer in 2015. They recovered the deleted data less than 3 months after Heather Elvis went missing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cassie.ryan18