IN - Abigail Williams, 13, & Liberty German, 14, Delphi, 13 Feb 2017 #43

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
But from the red tape on his impounded vehicle, we already know this is not being handled as a routine DUI. (I'm sympathetic on the DUIs, by the way, though I've never had one, as long as the levels were low; I suspect many people can drive quite safety at .08, while plenty of people don't drive safely at 0.00.)

One reason for dropping the hammer on minor offenses would be to elicit cooperation. Let's hope it isn't to discourage cooperation.
I'm behind, but another case I followed taught me that the red tape around a vehicle was to ensure chain of custody or whatever. I haven't seen the photo, but if you're talking about literal tape, usually it's across any openings on the vehicle. This way when they get it to the crime lab, they know that it has stayed sealed the entire time.

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

Does anyone else get the feeling the plea deal, the dropping of charges, which in my interpretation may have been he lied about going to buy tropical fish .. has RL given LE some info? Did he see something, does he know something?
This is what i am wondering. Or was the plea deal just his admitting to driving to the dump?

As someone else mentioned, when someone has driven under the influence multiple times putting others' lives at risk, some (such as families of those killed in alcohol related incidents) would not consider it a petty offense that the person continued to drive on a suspended license and also continued to drink.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
He drove drunk????? LINK ME!

Otherwise just driving sober to a dump is a petty crime.

People keep adding in elements! He just drove. Not drunk. This isnt a breaking parole dui drive. Its a drive. Petty.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

If there is no relation to the trip to the transfer station and the murders then this seems unfair...

Its a legal tactic used a lot in major crime investigations. As I and others have said it can be done to keep the public safe while a case is built. Maybe it's fair to the victim's families and to people with kids in the community. Maybe it's going to tear apart an innocent old man.

I must admit, in court he looks quite different from what I've seen from him before. I always thought he was super snowy white haired with a more refined nose while BG looks more salt and peer and bigger, more beakish nose from what little sense I can get from the blurry photos. But now I see salt and pepper and a bigger nose.

04/03/2017
Hearing Journal Entry
The State of Indiana appears by Jerry Bean, Deputy Prosecuting Attorney. The defendant appears in person and by Andrew Achey, attorney. The defendant is in the custody of the Sheriff of Carroll County. The defendant by counsel waives the formal reading of his right to counsel and of his constitutional and statutory rights, the charges against him, and the possible penalties. The State of Indiana and the defendant file a written Report of Negotiation. The defendant is advised of the effect of the plea agreement. The Defendant, pursuant to the written plea agreement, pleads guilty to the following charge(s): Count I, Operating a Vehicle as an Habitual Traffic Violator, a Level 6 Felony. The court finds that the defendant understands the nature of the charge(s) against him to which he has pled guilty, that he understands the possible sentences and fine, that his plea of guilty was freely and voluntarily made, that the plea is accurate, and that there is a factual basis for the plea of guilty. The court takes acceptance of the plea agreement under advisement and sets this matter for sentencing, subject to acceptance of the plea and plea agreement on April 10, 2017 at 11:00 am, at which time the defendant is ordered to appear. The Probation Department is ordered to prepare an updated presentence report. The Court sets bond for the above captioned cause in the sum of $5000 with 10% cash bond allowed. The defendant is remanded to the custody of the Sheriff of Carroll County. C:State,Probation,CCSD,Achey,RJO4/3/17
Judicial Officer:
Fouts, Kurtis
Present:
State of Indiana
Present:
Logan, Ronald E
Present:
Achey, Andrew A.
Hearing Date:
04/03/2017

https://public.courts.in.gov/mycase...HRTVORE15TnpFek1EUXdPalV4T1RNMk1qY3lZbUU9In19

"Not a suspect", in the girls murders, is not the same as being cleared is it ?

Its not the same at all IMHO. The police are in the assembling evidence, requesting an arrest warrant and arresting business not the clearing business. This is my opinion and I am not a legal expert. :D

IMO, It would not be unusual for authorities to find any way they can to get someone incarcerated for other offenses while they continue to work on building a murder case against that person. Especially if they have very little physical evidence to tie that person directly to the murder itself. This approach would allow them to get the person off the streets and continue to build their case and search for evidence. IMO, I think there is very little physical evidence that has been discovered in this case, i.e. no DNA of the perp, no fibers directly on the victims, etc. IMO, there may be footprints but those either haven't been matched to anyone OR they could be explained away by a defendant in a court of law. Bottom line, I do think LE believes they know who committed this crime but they don't have enough of a case at this point to be able to get a conviction in a court of law so they are doing the best they can to protect society and give them more time to investigate and build a stronger case. ALL JMO.

I agree with you on this IMO that is why they have gone radio silent

If the prosecutor expected to file a much more serious charges unrelated to the current crime, would you find it odd the obstruction and false reporting were dropped, in general?

I don't know. If he can be sentenced to 4.5 years he likely Wil be sentenced to at least several months I think. Which may be enough for them.

They could have easily brought him in through a different entrance where media and spectators were not permitted. It's not an unusual thing to do. At the very least, they could have provided him with a BPV. All JMO.
I totally agree. It only takes one idiot to take the law into their own hands. Especially with feelings running so high. Its almost like it was a bit of theatre IMO with LE enjoying tge limelight . MOO.

Sorry that wasn't clear... I don't know how to explain it, I guess him being portrayed/examined as a potential murderer if they knew he was just dropping off say hypotheticallly bottles for recycling...

But it's not LE portraying him as that....It's social media! LE keeps telling people (and again today) that he's not a suspect, and not to jump to conclusions about this man. They've arrested 13 other people (and searched several other properties) that they found through this case, but nobody is ripping their lives apart. It's because the girls were found on his property, IMO.

Him and BG look about as much alike as a kitten and a kite.

MOO

There appears to be no evidence he drove to the dump drunk, just that he drove to the dump. That has been admitted to in return for the other two related charges being dropped. So when will we know if the court accepts that? Today? Then what? He goes back to jail for another week until sentencing?

I didn't at any point suggest he drove to the transfer center drunk. Did someone else?

While I don't know if RL had any involvement in the murders, I am saying that we should not dismiss probation violations of an alcohol abuser. The sentencing (probation etc.) was put in place because he has been convicted more than once for operating a vehicle under the influence and a judge felt the community would be safer if he was not driving and/or drinking.

I have advocated against driving under the influence since being a student in SADD years ago. And 17 years ago I lost one of my best friends to an alcohol related driving incident. If someone like RL drives under the influence and accidentally kills someone else, their families will grieve their loss as much as Libby and Abby's grieve their loss. When someone who risks lives through irresponsible alcohol use fails to take their probation seriously, I don't think we should act as if that is petty. That is an insult to anyone whose loved one has died as a result of a dui. Imho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's not over til it's over I suppose. I just don't see these agencies going on a witch hunt...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lmauk