Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is JMO

I just dont see local LE calling the FBI unless they knew something really bad has happened. Either they saw that video before the bodies were found or they somehow knew they were kidnapped and not just lost.

The reason I think this is because of TV shows that have convinced me that local LE would not want to involve an outside agency for a more trivial matter like a lost person who was only missing about 24 hours and could be found anytime.

I think they somehow knew this was really bad and called the FBI in. Which means either video was viewed or they knew they had been kidnapped somehow. Other than the video I see no other way they would know that.

Is it confirmed that the audio is from the same source and not possibly from a separate recording of BG leaving a message indicating where they were found?

To me, it would be reasonable for police to release even 1 second of BG walking so the public could observe his gait/movement.

Why do you think they haven't?

One guess I have is that perhaps he pulls out a weapon in the next frame and they therefore don't want to reveal it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Personally I think the reason LE hasn't released it may be as simple as, the video is burry enough that when it's played it's very hard to recognize any details. I think LE actually cleaned up the stills quite a bit to get even the minimal details that we can kind of make out.....moo

Is it confirmed that the audio is from the same source and not possibly from a separate recording of BG leaving a message indicating where they were found?

That would be creepy, it didn't cross my mind. Thanks.

Could be true as far as down loading what was on the cloud, ahead of finding the girls. The phone it self could have been there as well, with dead battery. JMO

This is JMO

I just dont see local LE calling the FBI unless they knew something really bad has happened. Either they saw that video before the bodies were found or they somehow knew they were kidnapped and not just lost.

The reason I think this is because of TV shows that have convinced me that local LE would not want to involve an outside agency for a more trivial matter like a lost person who was only missing about 24 hours and could be found anytime.

I think they somehow knew this was really bad and called the FBI in. Which means either video was viewed or they knew they had been kidnapped somehow. Other than the video I see no other way they would know that.

Wow. Are you suggesting he recorded for police where they could find them?

That would be a crazy twist, for sure, but I feel like they have said she recorded him...as if the action is on her part.

Hmmmm. You've got me thinking though.

LE indicated the words "down the hill" were directed at the girls. One officer said it sounded to him as if the instruction had been given before. He suggested BG sounded a bit exasperated, as if the girls weren't quite listening.

I'll look for the source so his exact words can be heard. BRB

One thing I will add, is that I believe the LIDAR views over-exaggerate the slopes (they look steeper in LIDAR) we end up seeing in photos we have or videos we have in the woods near the bridge. I have found that overlaying the LIDAR over Google Earth and then examining the Elevation that Google Earth reports as you move your mouse around is helpful to get a better sense of the slope.

An example, is if you look at the LIDAR map I posted (or make your own on that site) you can see the "path" from the SW corner of the cemetery down to the flat area near the creek. If you noticed the LIDAR map I posted I also had the topographic overlay. And when you look at that "path" you can see the topographic lines "bending" back into what looks more like a ravine than something shallower. Well, it is not as deep as the LIDAR "seems" to show but perhaps only about 9-12 feet lower than the higher areas to the sides over a wider width so it is less ravine like.

That "path" also flows with water if there is sufficient rain that requires excess drainage. There is another one just like that further east on RL's property. The narrower "ravine" in between the two is likely the "path" we see in the photo that also shows RL's dog and the cameraman below.

I think you'll understand and get a sense for this if you play around with it a bit. It is just that process of reconciling that the slopes in the LIDAR are not as extreme as they appear.

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide me with all this information. I really appreciate it. I will keep this advice in mind as I play around with the maps.

Had never given that a thought.

LE indicated the words "down the hill" were directed at the girls. One officer said it sounded to him as if the instruction had been given before. He suggested BG sounded a bit exasperated, as if the girls weren't quite listening.

I would like to see it. I keep looking for the one that mentions the previous encounter but I'm having trouble finding it. So I'm curious if it might be the same vid.

I think it was Sgt. Slocum who made that comment.

I would like to see it. I keep looking for the one that mentions the previous encounter but I'm having trouble finding it. So I'm curious if it might be the same vid.

One of the issues with finding quotes is the lack of transcripted interviews with LE from media video.

IMO, I don't think that the theory that the girls knew BG is plausible. I mean, why would two 13/14 year-old girls would know a man that nobody in their family and town would immediatelly recognize from the still photo? Just saying...
we don't know that someone did not recognized him. We are not privy to the "tips" that have received.

If the "down the hill" sounded exasperated to Slocum then he heard more then those three words to say that, cause I don't hear that at all. Jmo

I wondered about that also. Sounds calm and forceful to me. moo

Although the facts that it's a small town and they have the dudes pics and voice no one has turned him in would lead me to think the same, Theres an equally good chance he's being protected through willful ignorance or desperation.
All this is not helping the rep of small towns and small town LE everywhere.
Perhaps many called in with the same "tip". We don't know what LE knows, which is just one of the many things that makes this so frustrating!

I have a question, hoping for some input on my thoughts to the answer..

Since the FBI was already on scene February 14th BEFORE the girls were found , why would that be?

There would be zero reason for them to be there for a search. Remember the night before, when the search was called off, there was zero concern about foul play .

My thought.. local LE found Libby's cell phone uploads from the cloud later that night and called in the FBI.

In MOO..

Also I'm pretty sure the FBI has left the investigation because #1) no electronic crime was committed ( catfishing) and #2 no crime was committed across state lines. This crime is not what the FBI does with local/state crime.

When I say I'm pretty sure, I'm confident that I'm right

Still MOO though [emoji12]

or they are not needed anymore because they have identified a suspect and are now in the stages of putting together a case for an arrest. It wasn't just the FBI who packed up, it was also dozens and dozens of LE from other parts of the state that cleared out as well. Around the same time LE became mostly silent. All of this combined makes me think they know who it is.

Just to weigh in here with my own ideas- I was thinking, and posted earlier, that LG could have taken a photo or video on Snapchat OF Libby and happened to get BG in the frame.

Then, once BG got closer she felt they may be in danger and started recording again, maybe on Snapchat maybe on her regular video feature (as he was walking this would give her the very short amount of time needed to switch apps). This could be where she caught the "down the hill" audio, on purpose.

It's IMO that she could have taken two videos. One gave LE and the public the still photo of BG, and then, as he came nearer, the second recording gave LE and the public the "down the hill" audio.

I'm still not convinced there's a second perp given what we DO have but anythinf is possible and I'm keeping an open mind.

There's no way to know until LE and MSM releases more info, but I believe this is likely behavior for a teen.

I just want to add (and my apologies for quoting you when maybe I should've quoted the original poster but thread was already closed last night when I read it and an aspect has been bugging me). I use Snapchat all the time to swap silly photos with a few friends and family members. Last night I even went to check how long you can record on it. It's about 10 seconds. And as someone already pointed out (they said they had an Android phone and weren't sure about others but I've got an iPhone now and have used Snapchat on android and they're the same as far as functionality) you have to literally hold your finger down to record video in Snapchat. If you press and immediately release you just get a photo. Not to mention you would either then have to send video or photo to someone which involved a couple of more clicks and that video then disappears immediately after it's viewed (or you can post it to your memories where it lasts 24 hours but again that requires a similar number of extra clicks). You CAN save video or photos on Snapchat. I save my own all the time but once again, that takes more clicking and is very intentional (I know I often forget).

So I'm sorry but someone else theorized it would be difficult to quickly swap between the app and regular camera but I disagree. That makes way, way more sense than recording on Snapchat. And since the main point of Snapchat is that it's temporary (only in recent months did they even add that rather to save your own photos or video) I don't see anyone using SC to record evidence of someone who gave them a bad feeling. I just really don't think Snapchat played a role in the actual BG recording. I can swap between apps on my phone way faster than I could record a ten second Snapchat video and save or send it! And seemed the girls enjoyed photography. Seems reasonable they may well have had the regular phone camera already up and as someone already mentioned, on their Samsung (I think they said) phone as well as an iPhone you can even access the camera quickly without unlocking the phone. On iPhone you can also swipe up from the bottom of your phone is already unlocked and you get a little pop up type window that has easy access to screen brightness, wifi and airplane mode, flashlight (ha I just realized that was there!), compass, calculator and the camera! If my cat is doing something cute I often swipe that little pop up screen up for quick camera access. Use it all the time. And of course if say I was out taking photos already, well it'd be pretty easy to swap back to my camera in other ways as well.

All that said, I'm about the same age as the girl's parents so I'm not exactly up on what teens are doing but if I know multiple very fast ways to access my phones main camera, I'm going to bet Libby was even faster at it than me!

I think the real question frankly is actually what kind of phone and how much space was on it. Because that's a huge variable and the amount of video that she got is going to be dependent on how much space was on the phone. When you run out of space the video will automatically stop recording. There's a reasonable chance, especially know she seemed to really enjoy photography that the video ended long before the phone died even if no one stopped it intentionally because the phone would've run out of space. I think this question, how much space did she have on her phone is probably more important than how she recorded the video (Snapchat versus main camera or another app. Though as I said I think it would be a really poor choice to use Snapchat and it would've been near impossible to do what she did on Snapchat).

Just MOO as well as my plentiful experience using Snapchat and my own phones camera. I think quite honestly even if she hardly had any time at all, she could've gotten to her phones main camera in a matter of seconds. And honestly I think it's an incredible lesson, one that hopefully none of us need to use, but I sure know should I ever get myself into an uncomfortable situation I'm going to remember what Libby did. I think the very fact that video recording was her first instinct also speaks volumes to her comfort and experience using her phones camera (which maybe isn't surprising for teenagers in today's world anyhow!) but what an incredible thing she did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member