IN IN - Chynna, 26, & Blake Dickus, 10, Franklin, 24 July 2006

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I didn't realize he didn't attend the vigil. Interesting that he took a trip with his ex-wife.

:eek: That really bugs me. maybe stepmom wanted to call authories and he just snapped. IDK just odd Blake had more done than step mom who would target a child
cover up that they were murder by an inturder

SewingDeb said:
I didn't realize he didn't attend the vigil. Interesting that he took a trip with his ex-wife.

Mel1024 said:
:eek: That really bugs me. maybe stepmom wanted to call authories and he just snapped. IDK just odd Blake had more done than step mom who would target a child
cover up that they were murder by an inturder
I highly suspect what you have said. I wonder if the police have looked into this angle.

JerseyGirl said:
I'm having a hard time understanding why Chynna was stabbed while Blake was stabbed, beaten, and strangled. It's almost as if HE was the focus of the killer's rage. I'm sorry to say that with all of the information we've heard in recent years about pedophiles, I can't help but wonder if there was a sexual motive directed towards the boy. Something posted earlier in this thread said something along the lines of only the murderer and LE know what happened there that afternoon. That implies that something happened there other than murder.
Maybe the boy was simply trying to protect his Mom ?

raisincharlie said:
That certainly could be but it would seem to me that one fierce swipe could get a ten year-old out of the way. Seems like overkill to me. In the overkill, I can agree that it looks like someone that knew Blake. Yet I still wonder if Blake might have been the target of a pedophile. It's been so long since I've read through this thread - did Chynna usually work? Why were they both home that day? I can't even remember anymore what time the crime is believed to have happened. :doh:

JerseyGirl said:
I'm sorry to say that with all of the information we've heard in recent years about pedophiles, I can't help but wonder if there was a sexual motive directed towards the boy. Something posted earlier in this thread said something along the lines of only the murderer and LE know what happened there that afternoon. That implies that something happened there other than murder.
I am pointing back to my old post because that statement by police still has me curious. All of us know that murder happened there that day. So what is it that happened that only police and the murderer know?

ETA: I have to look for that reference in the thread because I don't even know for sure if it was LE that made that statement. Let me see if I can find it.

cathieq said:
Police: `Promising' info in Franklin slayings
http://tinyurl.com/osk23

Franklin Police Chief John Borges said today that investigators have recovered “great” and “vital” evidence in the homicides of a woman and her stepson...
I wonder how it's going with that great and vital evidence. I hope it's been looked at by now.

raisincharlie said:
I just found the article that contains the statement that has piqued my interest. I am putting it into a reply to your post because of this comment:

Police: `Promising' info in Franklin slayings | IndyStar.com

"An autopsy has determined Chynna Dickus died of multiple stab wounds and Blake from blunt-force trauma, although he also was stabbed multiple times, Borges said."

So it is indeed possible that Chynna was the focus, Blake maybe heard a struggle and came running in, was punched or hit on the head with something while the perp continued his/her attack on Chynna before going back to Blake at the end just to make sure he was dead for the sake of not being able to identify the perp.

"An autopsy has determined Chynna Dickus died of multiple stab wounds and Blake from blunt-force trauma, although he also was stabbed multiple times, Borges said.

“Only investigators and the killer or killers know what happened Monday afternoon,” he said of undisclosed evidence and the crime’s timeframe."

So it would be something about the crime's timeframe and the undisclosed evidence that only the perp and LE know. I have no idea what they could mean about the time frame at this point but the undisclosed evidence certainly has the wheels turning in my brain.

I also found the "killer or killers" interesting.

Thanks for the link JerseyGirl.

Lots of times I find police statements enigmatic enough to make me nutty. I know they have to be very careful in what they can say. Sometimes I also think they say things to create a diversion. The comment about trace evidence may well point to an activity other than just murder so...

I quess my mind just doesn't want to believe a young boy could be a target, let alone a victim. It's just easier for me to believe this young boy came to his mother's defense. Don't know if that came out right, I know it happens all the time unfortunately, and that there are some majorly sick individuals roaming free everywhere. For the life of me I just can't understand it and I suffer from denial because my mind cannot begin to comprehend any logical reason for these brutal acts. Incredibly sad...hoping the police find the animal responsible and have a strong enough case to effectively prosecute the case.

P.S> - it is interesting that they reported the time of death as the "afternoon".

raisincharlie said:
Lots of times I find police statements enigmatic enough to make me nutty. I know they have to be very careful in what they can say. Sometimes I also think they say things to create a diversion.
That is so very true. It's sometimes impossible to know exacty what's true and what's not within those statements from LE. I would think that they can't say anything untrue because you wouldn't want defense atties to latch onto those statements in trial. But the wording can be so cryptic that it's almost as interesting to decipher those statements as it is to look at the clues left behind at a crime scene.

Looking at other statements within the article -

"... investigators have recovered “great” and “vital” evidence in the homicides of a woman and her stepson."

<snip>

“We have found a multitude of things in trace and physical evidence,” Borges said of the efforts of investigators from multiple law-enforcement agencies.

“At this time, we certainly think this will come together,” he said. “There’s no guarantee, but we have some promising information

Definition of vital -

1 a : existing as a manifestation of life</I> </I>b : concerned with or necessary to the maintenance of life <vital organs</I>> <blood and other vital fluids</I>></I> </I>
2 : full of life and vigor : ANIMATED </I></I>
3 : characteristic of life or living beings</I> </I>
4 a : fundamentally concerned with or affecting life or living beings: as</I> </I>(1) : tending to renew or refresh the living : INVIGORATING </I></I>(2) : destructive to life : MORTAL </I></I>b : of the utmost importance</I> </I>
5 : recording data relating to lives</I> </I>
6 : of, relating to, or constituting the staining of living tissues</I>
synonym see ESSENTIAL

It sounds to me as if huge amounts of evidence were discovered, and I'm leaning towards some of that "vital" evidence being DNA. For now, I truly believe that the husband did not do this and that what the police were hoping for when making that statement was that the DNA would match someone in the database. That's also what I believe was meant by there being no guarantee - that they know that they have enough to nail the perp but that they have to hope to find him or her first. JMO.

JerseyGirl said:
Looking at other statements within the article -

<snip>

It sounds to me as if huge amounts of evidence were discovered, and I'm leaning towards some of that "vital" evidence being DNA. For now, I truly believe that the husband did not do this and that what the police were hoping for when making that statement was that the DNA would match someone in the database. That's also what I believe was meant by there being no guarantee - that they know that they have enough to nail the perp but that they have to hope to find him or her first. JMO.
I agree.

raisincharlie said:
Yes that does make sense
but i just can't seem to let go of my thought don't know why i guess because as with other certain crimes it happens a lot also
i can't wait till we do have the answers

graciejones said:
An other twist to this case is the father did not attend the vigil for his son. However, about 2-3 weeks later the father and his exwife took a trip to Tennessee and on to North Carolina where they lived at the time they were married. How soon we forget and move on. This case is going to be interesting. May take a long time to find out the truth.
I read that Blake was the only child of both the mother and the father. Also, since his wife was also murdered, in my opinion, maybe it would be only natural for both of them to want to fall back on eachother for some support seeing how both of them know what eachother's going through??? IDK...this is just so sad.

fozzybear said:
I read that Blake was the only child of both the mother and the father. Also, since his wife was also murdered, in my opinion, maybe it would be only natural for both of them to want to fall back on eachother for some support seeing how both of them know what eachother's going through???
Is the biological mother remarried?

Mel1024 said:
Yes that does make sense
but i just can't seem to let go of my thought don't know why i guess because as with other certain crimes it happens a lot also
It most certainly could be the father/husband. Unfortunately, we've all learned that it isn't over 'til it's over and no matter how innocent or guilty someone seems, it isn't always as it appears.

My opinion (for the moment) is based solely on the language used by LE, especially the word vital. That's quite a powerful word. But as was pointed out earlier, it could even be that that was said just to make the perp squirm.

JerseyGirl said:
It most certainly could be the father/husband. Unfortunately, we've all learned that it isn't over 'til it's over and no matter how innocent or guilty someone seems, it isn't always as it appears.

My opinion (for the moment) is based solely on the language used by LE, especially the word vital. That's quite a powerful word. But as was pointed out earlier, it could even be that that was said just to make the perp squirm.
True I should be more open minded after the groene case that was a pedophile at ramdom with lots of voilence so this very well could be the same thing
I also understand them going away together she i am sure is devastrated and it was their child together
if my daughter's father was still alive i could see that happening

WTHR - Indianapolis News and Weather - Crime lab backlog slows Franklin murder investigation

"...We haven't been able to find that one particular focal point on the investigation such as a suspect," Chief Borges said...

Police say they have hundreds of items of evidence, but that's actually part of the problem. The lag time in solving the case is linked to the state police lab processing that evidence...

For years, the state police lab has dealt with a delay in analyzing evidence. It's in need of more staff, more equipment and more space...

Lab results right now take an average of nine months to complete...

"They're giving this case priority," Chief Borges said. "They're doing everything within their power to help us get to the bottom of who committed this crime..."

In hopes of generating new leads, Chynna Dickus' mother has set up a reward fund and website in her daughter's honor.

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070202/LOCAL/702020548

Franklin police are hoping that information they receive about items stolen in a residential burglary near the scene of last summer’s slayings of a young woman and her 10-year-old stepson will lead to a break in the case.

Distinctive items stolen during the burglary include a Maine Township East, Park Ridge, Ill., high school class ring; Bicentennial coins with the years 1776-1976 on them; and a Tupperware sheer one-gallon pitcher.
“Someone may have found the pitcher or saw someone carrying it through the subdivision,” Borges said.
In addition, he said one extremely important element would be reporting anyone with an unusual or unnatural interest in the crim

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MLCS
Back