DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

Strong language from EU as it condemns Israel's plans for new settlements​

4440b373-6e70-4571-8f94-9dd193e322cd.jpg

Sofia Bettiza
Reporting from Brussels

The European Union's foreign policy chief has condemned plans by the Israeli government to allocate new money for expanding settlements in the West Bank.

"I’m appalled to learn that in the middle of a war, the Israeli government is poised to commit new funds to build more illegal settlements,” Josep Borrell said earlier.

Borrell said "violence spread by extremist settlers in the West Bank" - who he described as being been protected by Israeli police and military - will "not make Israel safer".
And he described the settlements as the country's "greatest security liability".

Quote Message: It is also for that reason that they are considered a grave breach of international humanitarian law. I was appalled to see that the Israel government plans to allocate another $43m to increase the settlement activities and I have condemned it."
It is also for that reason that they are considered a grave breach of international humanitarian law. I was appalled to see that the Israel government plans to allocate another $43m to increase the settlement activities and I have condemned it."

This is quite strong language from the EU’s top diplomat, given it is an institution which usually opts for more diplomatic language and prefers to leave tough political statements to individual member states.

Borrell also condemned what he described as the “disproportionate” killing of civilians in Gaza.

“The suffering of the civilian population of Gaza, depriving them of basic needs, the highly disproportionate death toll, including more than 5,000 Palestinian children,and turning half of Gaza into rubble. Most of the public opinion around the world considers it unacceptable."

Red Cross yet to see remaining hostages, despite US and Israeli claims such visits were part of truce​

While both Israeli and US officials have insisted that the ongoing truce deal between Israel and Hamas includes a clause requiring the Red Cross to visit the hostages who have not been freed by the fourth day of the temporary ceasefire, no such visits have been reported.

The Red Cross has repeatedly refused to confirm that it has been notified of this clause of the truce, but insists that it will visit the hostages if both parties agree that it should.

Hamas has yet to publicly confirm having agreed to such visits and has never in the past allowed the Red Cross to visit those it has abducted.

Asked whether the Red Cross has been able to visit the hostages, a spokesperson for the humanitarian agency refers The Times of Israel to earlier statements asserting that its staff would do so if both parties approve.

That's not my job.
As you probably know they do not separate civilians from combatants in their stats.
But those are large bombs.
I didn't know that.

So we don't have a number of injured non-combatants in Gaza from that time period.

The use of precision guided weapons would limit the collateral damage. But then again Hamas likes to use innocent people as shields.

So who knows, it could have been a small number of injured civilians that needed to be evacuated or a large number. JMO.

I didn't know that.

So we don't have a number of injured non-combatants in Gaza from that time period.

The use of precision guided weapons would limit the collateral damage. But then again Hamas likes to use innocent people as shields.

So who knows, it could have been a small number of injured civilians that needed to be evacuated or a large number. JMO.
I think Israel eventually obtained precision guided weapons from the US.

(No confirmation of Americans being released tomorrow)

The fourth group of Israeli women and children have returned home from 52 days of Hamas captivity in Gaza. Additional hostages may be released in the following days. I discuss the mechanics and the behind the scenes with
@wolfblitzer on @CNN

"Piers, stop asking her to condemn October 7th when she is borderline a terrorist herself."Emily Austin cuts in as Piers Morgan asks Nerdeen Kiswani about the Hamas attacks.

That exchange made my BP rise way too significantly.
Kiswana calls these murdering Hamas terrorists resistance fighters, and denies all those horrific deaths on Oct 7th were perpetrated by Hamas but rather perpetrated by Israelis ?
I just can't.....

Last edited:
ByHenry Bodkin, SENIOR REPORTER, IN JERUSALEM27 November 2023
1701125638364.png
''Kfir Bibas, 10 months, and his family have reportedly been passed on to the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine, a Marxist–Leninist terror group

Hamas is preventing the release of a 10-month-old baby held captive in Gaza, Israel said on Monday night.
Kfir Bibas, the youngest hostage kidnapped by Hamas, has been handed over to a separate Palestinian terror group in the southern city of Khan Younis, an Israel Defense Forces spokesman said.
The city is expected to be a target of Israel’s next offensive, raising the prospect the infant is being used for further leverage in talks to extend the truce.''

On Monday, their aunt, Noah Abrahams, said the news amounted to “just more psychological torture”.

A family statement said: “We are experiencing moments of great uncertainty. The realisation that we will not get the hug we wished for leaves us speechless.”

Meanwhile, Avichay Adraee, an Arabic media spokesman for the IDF, said: “Children and babies under the age of one who have not seen the light of day for more than 50 days are being held captive by Hamas, [who] treats some of them like loot and in some places has transferred them to other terrorist organisations in the Gaza Strip.”

"... The Palestine Red Crescent Society said in a post on X that its team is moving 40 trucks of aid into Gaza City and northern areas of the strip.

Earlier today, the organization said it had delivered 150 trucks of aid into the northern part of the strip since the beginning of the temporary truce agreement on Friday. Distribution of aid into that area proved difficult as it was the hardest-hit area of Gaza as a result of Israel's siege on the strip.

Hamas delayed the release of Israeli hostages Saturday over its accusations that Israel violated terms of their agreement, including Hamas' belief that not enough of the promised aid made its way north."
Bbm.
That may be due in part to Israel having to thoroughly inspect the 'aid' to make sure it isn't weapons; and also that Hamas is not stealing the fuel.
If I were the IDF, that's what I'd be doing.
The PRC might not be trustworthy.
Every package needs to be opened and checked, Gazans can wait for a little while.
They're receiving this aid for free.
One other possibility is that the Gazans can demand that Hamas give up everything they've stolen, then no aid trucks would be needed , as it's a good bet Hamas is sitting on hundreds of tons of supplies ?

"Eleven more Israeli hostages were released in exchange for 33 Palestinian prisoners on Monday as part of the four-day truce between Israel and Hamas, Qatari officials said.
Both sides have agreed to extend the truce for
two more days.
“In order to extend the pause, Hamas has committed to releasing another 20 women and children over the next two days,” John Kirby, National Security Council spokesperson, told reporters on Monday. "

Red bolding mine.
Hoping this extension isn't costing Israel too dearly.
And it had better be 20 hostages, and not 15 !
Omo.

I think Israel eventually obtained precision guided weapons from the US.
They got a resupply. The IDF has used precision guided weapons for a long time.

Here's an article from 2021 stating they only used precision guided weapons in "Guardian of the Walls."

Without a doubt, the use of extremely precise weapons is a great technological achievement but is also an operational requirement in light of the conditions of warfare against an enemy in a crowded civilian environment. It brought about a drastic decline in the amount of non-combatant casualties (between 100 and 200 during "Guardian of the Walls", as opposed to more than 1,400 as a result of a similar number of attacks during all of "Operation Protective Edge" in 2014)

That exchange made my BP rise way too significantly.
Kiswana calls these murdering Hamas terrorists resistance fighters, and denies all those horrific deaths on Oct 7th were perpetrated by Israelis ?
I just can't.....

ITA. She is intolerable... her words, her avoidance of truth, and her denials... beyond rational thinking. IMO

I have watched this thread off and on all day and see that there are posters who fully support Israel’s actions in this war and those who think Israel’s actions are criminal. I fully agree that civilian deaths in war are tragic and heartbreaking. But what war is ever without civilian casualties?

I will not condemn Israel for going after terrorists who attacked their civilians in their homes and businesses and a music festival. I am saddened by the loss of life and the injuries and the destruction in Gaza. I am saddened by the loss of each military life as well. Every death was/is tragic and someone lost a loved one - but again, what war is ever without civilian casualties? I am not sure the numbers being reported are accurate or how many of them are from misfired rockets aimed at Israel like the hospital and we may never know the true story. But it has been said that war is hell and it is.

How can the US be expected to condemn the civilian casualties in Gaza when we have been responsible for so many ourselves in wars we have fought? It is an awful thing but it is a fact that civilian casualties are part of war. There is nothing about war that is not awful - regardless for the reason for the war or whether or not the cause is just - but civilian casualties are without a doubt the most tragic part of any war Including this one.

Acknowledging that does not sway my support for Israel and they must fight this war with everything they have and they must end Hamas control in Gaza to keep their citizens safe - a primary goal of any legitimate government.

I’m not saying Palestinians in Gaza deserve this or that those who have died or been injured were in the wrong place at the wrong time. I’m simply saying that all wars have civilian casualties - it is inevitable and it is tragic - but it does not mean that civilized people just let terrorists continue unchecked and especially after such a brutal attack as Oct 7th.

The pause or ceasefire happening now for the hostage vs prisoner exchange is a bit of a break for Gazans but I worry about who those prisoners are that Israel is releasing. I know they are for now women and minors but what did they do to be in an Israeli prison? Who will they become when they get out? Sinwar who leads Hamas in Gaza was also once in an israeli prison - had served 22 years of his 4 life sentences for killing 2 Israeli soldiers and 4 Palestinians - but he was among more than 1000 prisoners freed by Israel to get back 1 IDF soldier. He was even operated on by Israeli doctors to save his life (brain tumor) while in prison. And now 12 years later, he is the Hamas leader responsible for the Oct 7th terrorist attack. It makes one wonder what will those being released now become.

War is hell in so many ways.

In a flash, Melissa Joudah lost 60 family members and use of her legs
That “flash” is named Hamas.

If Hamas had not committed atrocities and war crimes against sleeping people and people dancing, and soldiers at their base, then that Joudah family, all 60 of them, would be going about their business today.

If…then.
Cause and effect.

Imo

But the administration’s desire to send much-needed aid has run up against fears that some aid could end up in the hands of Hamas, the militant group that governs Gaza and whose surprise deadly attack on Israel on Oct. 7 touched off the latest conflict.
The Israeli government also has accused Hamas of directing
millions of dollars intended for projects such as roads, bridges or hospitals to be used instead to build a network of underground tunnels that serve as a transportation route for terrorists and weapons.
The U.S. has designated Hamas a terrorist organization.

Red bolding mine.
Millions ?
Or is it billions ?
It has been clear for some time that sending money is a bad idea.
Some goods and supplies, yes.
As long as everything is closely inspected.
Guns can be disassembled and smuggled in bags of wheat, boxes of food and clothing, and medical supply boxes.

The Gazans can do their part to show gratitude for the free supplies and assist the IDF in pointing out what they know, of the tunnels' locations, and where the caches of supplies and fuel are being held, in exchange for the aid.

Otherwise we and other countries are building the terrorists infrastructure back to where it was before Oct. 7th, sadly.
Sending money and/or uninspected supplies to Gaza, is only shooting ourselves in the foot.
I do not believe for a second that Hamas and other terrorists in Gaza are done with their terrorist activities, or repentant.
They will do this again and again, and maybe worse next time.
Hoping the IDF will destroy everyone who murdered, or who is planning to attack again.
They need to stamp this out.
Omo.

Last edited:
ByHenry Bodkin, SENIOR REPORTER, IN JERUSALEM27 November 2023
View attachment 464191
''Kfir Bibas, 10 months, and his family have reportedly been passed on to the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine, a Marxist–Leninist terror group

Hamas is preventing the release of a 10-month-old baby held captive in Gaza, Israel said on Monday night.
Kfir Bibas, the youngest hostage kidnapped by Hamas, has been handed over to a separate Palestinian terror group in the southern city of Khan Younis, an Israel Defense Forces spokesman said.
The city is expected to be a target of Israel’s next offensive, raising the prospect the infant is being used for further leverage in talks to extend the truce.''

On Monday, their aunt, Noah Abrahams, said the news amounted to “just more psychological torture”.

A family statement said: “We are experiencing moments of great uncertainty. The realisation that we will not get the hug we wished for leaves us speechless.”

Meanwhile, Avichay Adraee, an Arabic media spokesman for the IDF, said: “Children and babies under the age of one who have not seen the light of day for more than 50 days are being held captive by Hamas, [who] treats some of them like loot and in some places has transferred them to other terrorist organisations in the Gaza Strip.”
This breaks my heart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member