Israel - Palestinian militants launch massive attack, 7 Oct 2023 #8

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Religious persecution is something that is very visceral. My ancestors also were persecuted for their religious beliefs, to the point that my Great Grandparents moved to Mexico.

I can understand the need for a protected space for a Jewish Homeland. My ancestors crossed the United States, in wagons, seeking religious freedom.

Many of us are only one or two generations from the Holocaust. My husband's grandparents fled Ukraine after being literally starved by Lenin, simply because he was trying to crush the spirits of the Ukrainian people, not unlike Putin now.

Looking at this from a point of view of religious freedom and the literal "hunt" for people of Jewish descent at the airport in Russia the other day...

We are all Israelites. We need to stand up for a place where Jewish people have a safe space. We can't just look away.

Beautifully stated, @mickey2942, and I’m so sorry your family was persecuted!

Oct 30, 2023 #dailymail #israel #gaza
Israeli police shot a knife-wielding terrorist dead in Jerusalem on Monday. The man attacked an Israeli officer at a light railway station in the city. Reports claim the officer who killed the terrorist lost his daughter in the 7 October terror attacks.

Oct 28, 2023
On October 28, the IDF released a firsthand testimony of a Hamas terrorist — a member of the Nukhba Force, Hamas’ “special forces” unit — who was caught after taking part in the October 7th massacre. In this testimony, he explains why Hamas headquarters are located in tunnels underneath the Shifa hospital: “to exploit them for their use… So you won’t strike them. And then they can pass… explosives, weapons, food, medical equipment for them.” He continues by explaining how Hamas prioritizes where fuel goes in Gaza. At the end of this clip, he answers the question, “can residents of Gaza go wherever they want?”

Oct 30, 2023
NEW: Mosab Hassan Yousef, son of Hamas leader, Hassan Yousef, delivers a powerful new message to Hamas. This man has courage!

Beat me to it!

A subsequent medical examination administered to Megidish has determined that she is healthy.
Interesting. I wonder where she was being held and how they were able to get to her. I would think having soldiers as hostages would be kept far more secure than civilians. I bet she can provide them with some information on what happened and maybe that can help with finding other hostages and/or learning the captors patterns if they were held so long and moved or kept in one location longer term. I am glad she was found and she's in good health.

Mossad director David Barnea visited Qatar over the weekend and met senior Qatari officials to discuss their efforts in trying to secure the release of the more than 235 Israeli and foreign nationals who were taken hostage and brought to Gaza during the Oct. 7 terrorist attack, two sources with direct knowledge of the issue told me

Behind the scenes: The Israeli war cabinet last Thursday decided to begin its expanded ground operation in Gaza after Qatar's mediation didn't bear any fruit, two Israeli officials said.

• Israel made the decision in part because Hamas refused to give Israel via Qatar a list of names of all the hostages it is holding, the officials said.
  • Hamas told the Qatari officials it is still in the process of finding out where all the hostages are located and their identities. But the feeling in Jerusalem was that this was just a tactic to buy time and prevent an Israeli ground operation, the Israeli officials said.
Barnea's trip to Doha took place after the ground operation started.

• He resumed the hostage talks, which two sources brief on the issue said were positive and constructive but haven't led to a breakthrough.
  • A third source briefed on the talks said progress had been made.
  • The Israeli Prime Minister's Office declined to comment. The Qatari Foreign Ministry didn't immediately respond to questions.
  • A Hamas spokesperson didn't immediately respond to a request for comment.

Interesting. I wonder where she was being held and how they were able to get to her. I would think having soldiers as hostages would be kept far more secure than civilians. I bet she can provide them with some information on what happened and maybe that can help with finding other hostages and/or learning the captors patterns if they were held so long and moved or kept in one location longer term. I am glad she was found and she's in good health.
I also am glad she was found, and in good health. But I'm doubtful as to how much information she can pass on, as I'm sure Hamas would want to control/manipulate the amount and type of information the freed hostages can pass to IDF. I'd love to be proven wrong, however.

ADMIN NOTE:

Religion / biblical discussion has no place in this discussion, and we can talk historical events 'til the cows come home, they do NOT directly relate to the current events.

Sorry folks, but as interesting as some of the posts are, if they do not relate directly to events of October 7 and the subsequent war, they are off topic and have been removed. We do try to be lenient but off topic posts are in fact a violation of Websleuths TOS and if we permit one, it mushrooms and can end up totally derailing the thread. Mods don't have time to be constantly cleaning up.

Our very few WS Mods are volunteers who, regardless of their families and real lives, keep this forum running as best they can 24/7. If you wish to engage in off topic discussion, please do it in PM so that WS staff are not overwhelmed. Thank you !!

Shine on beautiful dancers.​

Stars Night GIF - Stars Night Sky - Discover & Share GIFs

rbbm
''Nissim, Louk’s father, told Channel 13 that he was glad to receive the news because the alternative would have been worse.
“I’m happy. First, that this thing is over, that we know exactly what happened,” he said. “Because I know where she is, she isn’t lying in some tunnel under Gaza, where every minute we are firing at them and all the earth is shaking and there is dust and it’s impossible to breathe.''

We know she is dead, we know she didn’t suffer, we also know a minute before the murderers came she was dancing, she was happy, she prayed, she went wild, with all her friends around her, and she had fun,” he added.''

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu rejected calls for a ceasefire in a news conference today and said that Israel's main goal is to take down Hamas. He called the release of a hostage today a turning point in the war, saying that "Israel did not start this war. Israel did not want this war. But Israel will win this war."

He added that, "Israel will fight until this battle is won." He urged other countries to support Israel, saying that "Every civilized nation should stand with Israel."

He also called for the immediate release of hostages held by Hamas.

"We cannot give immunity to these terrorists. We cannot give up the fight because this will have disastrous consequences not only for the future of my country [but for the world]," Netanyahu said. "This is a battle of civilization against barbarians. The future of our civilization is at stake."

US troops in Iraq and Syria attacked two dozen times in two weeks​

Drone attacks
Most were intercepted, a few detonated
21 minor injuries...Troops returned to duty
These bases routinely experience periodic attacks, but this is an increase

Biden pressed Netanyahu to get more humanitarian aid into Gaza as fears grow over conflict escalating​

WashingtonCNN —
snip: President Joe Biden’s administration this weekend pressured Israel to allow more aid into Gaza and to restore internet connectivity to the enclave, a concerted effort to ease a growing humanitarian crisis that comes amid fears of a widening regional war.
snip:

The private pressure from the United States to address the humanitarian concerns comes amid fears of a growing regional conflict, with top US officials warning of an “elevated risk” of a spillover war. As Israel’s assault on Gaza unfolds, global pressure is mounting for a pause in the fighting, including Monday at the United Nations.

American officials are carefully monitoring for signs of eroding support for Israel, both in the United States and around the world, mindful of how that might affect calculations inside Iran and other regional actors.

snip:

White House officials have explicitly ruled out supporting a ceasefire, and have offered no criticism – either overt or implied – of Israel’s military actions.

snip:

Sullivan plans to meet Monday with Saudi Arabia’s Defense Minister Khalid bin Salman, the brother of the kingdom’s powerful crown prince

Last edited:

New Israeli leaflets dropped on Gaza urge civilians to evacuate a "battlefield"​

From CNN's Ibrahim Dahman and Eyad Kourdi

Israeli aircraft have dropped new leaflets in Arabic over Gaza, warning people in northern and central parts of the strip that “the governorate of Gaza has become a battlefield.”

“Shelters in the north of the Gaza Strip and the governorate of Gaza have become unsafe,” according to the leaflet, an image of which has been seen by CNN.

“Hamas and the terrorist organizations are using the shelters, hospitals and schools in this area. Therefore, your presence in these places is not safe,” the flier continued.

“You must immediately evacuate and move to the humanitarian area to the south of Wadi Gaza,” the leaflet concluded, referring to a waterway that bisects the enclave.

Who was the hostage released today? Was this the military person announced earlier?
Moo....confused
A military hostage who was rescued by the IDFScreenshot Capture - 2023-10-30 - 13-59-19.png

Three female hostages were videotaped and tape was released by Hamas.

One hostage was confirmed dead.

Discussed upthread.

Journalists 'explicitly targetted' in strike near Israeli border - report

Video analysis and witness testimonies from the scene of strikes that killed one journalist and injured six others in south Lebanon this month has found they were “explicitly targeted,” Reporters Without Borders said in a statement Sunday.

Reuters journalist Issam Abdallah was killed near the village of Alma al-Shaab while covering skirmishes between Israeli troops and members of Lebanon’s militant Hezbollah group.

“Two strikes in the same place in such a short space of time ... from the same direction, clearly indicate precise targeting,” the statement said.

Analysis noted the journalists had been filming on a hillside for more than an hour until the strikes hit about 37 to 38 seconds apart, both coming from the direction of Israel.

The first killed Abdallah; the second hit a vehicle belonging to an Al Jazeera team, injuring journalists standing next to it, the statement said. It noted that the journalists were wearing helmets and vests marked “press,” and the car was marked “press” on the roof.

It added that witnesses reported seeing an Israeli helicopter fly over the scene shortly before the strikes. The report did not specifically say Israel was responsible for the fire, saying the investigation was ongoing.

The Israeli military did not immediately respond Sunday to a request for comment on the analysis.

Military spokesperson Lt. Col. Richard Hecht previously said Israel was “looking into” the episode. He did not confirm whether the journalists had been hit by Israeli shelling.

RSF initial report: Reuters journalist was killed in Lebanon in 'targeted' strike​

PARIS, Oct 29 (Reuters) - Reuters visuals journalist Issam Abdallah was killed on Oct. 13 in southern Lebanon by a "targeted" strike from the direction of the Israeli border, Reporters Without Borders (RSF) said on Sunday, based on preliminary findings of its investigation.

"According to the ballistic analysis carried out by RSF, the shots came from the east of where the journalists were standing; from the direction of the Israeli border," RSF said.

"Two strikes in the same place in such a short space of time (just over 30 seconds), from the same direction, clearly indicate precise targeting."

The RSF report did not conclude who had launched the strike against the journalists or provide its underlying analysis.

The Israel Defense Forces did not immediately respond to a request for comment on the RSF's findings. It has said it does not deliberately target journalists and that it is investigating the Oct. 13 incident.

In a statement, Reuters said: "We are reviewing the preliminary conclusion reached by Reporters Without Borders (RSF), which found that Issam Abdallah and other journalists in Alma el-Chaab appear to have been deliberately fired upon from the direction of Israel on 13 October.

"We reiterate our call to the Israeli authorities to conduct a swift, thorough and transparent probe into what happened. And we call upon all other authorities with information about the incident to provide it. We will continue to fight for the rights of all journalists to report the news in the public interest free of harassment or harm, wherever they are."

Oct 30, 2023 #Israel #Gaza #BBCNews
Hamas has released a video showing three people held hostage in Gaza.The BBC does not know anything about the conditions under which it was filmed, but the three women appear to be in reasonable health with no obvious signs of injury.You will not see the video itself as prisoners of war and hostages are protected under international humanitarian law, and the BBC does not broadcast material which may have been filmed under duress. Lyse Doucet and Paul Adams explain what can be seen.

Oct 30, 2023 #dailymail #Israel #hamas
'Why do people behave like animals': Shani Louk's mum breaks down as she confirms daughter's death. A German-Israeli woman who was snatched by Hamas from a music festival on Oct. 7 and paraded around Gaza by the Palestinian militant group is dead, the Israeli government said on Monday (October 30). "I am really sorry to report that we have now received news that Shani Nicole Louk has been confirmed murdered and dead," Israeli President Isaac Herzog told Germany's Bild newspaper.Louk, 23, was one of scores of people taken by Hamas during a deadly assault on the Israeli military and civilian communities that killed 1,400 people, mostly civilians.

A military hostage who was rescued by the IDFView attachment 456977

Three female hostages were videotaped and tape was released by Hamas.

One hostage was confirmed dead.

Discussed upthread.
Still confused :oops:
Was she released by Hamas or rescued by the IDF, big difference.moo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics