Kristian S Horman was arrested

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
From a local's point of view:

The high school the older son attended is generally considered to be the "best" high school in Portland. It is located downtown and has pretty much the wealthiest families within its boundaries--the families who are the "movers and shakers" of the city. I imagine there are some drug problems there--but higher end, more expensive drugs. While there are some students who are lucky enough to transfer in from other parts of the city--by lottery--most of the students come from upper middle class or downright wealthy families. Many of those kids could go to private school if they wanted, but Lincoln HS has such a good reputation and such good academic programs that they don't need to.

So, the idea that he moved to Roseburg to escape some kind of violence and drug infested inner-city school would be absolutely unfounded. I doubt there is any less of a problem in Roseburg--which actually has a reputation in Oregon as a high meth abuse region.

On the other hand, children of high income families do sometimes have drug abuse problems. High income and academic excellence do not prevent such problems completely. The school itself sounds sterling but if this kid was running around with a group of kids who were into drugs, I could easily understand moving him out of the environment. It would be really difficult to supervise his contact with friends at school, KWIM?

Moving him to a new school district and giving him an engrossing project like a horse would remove him from the specific kids he was getting into trouble with and minimise his chances of getting into the same trouble again.

I am still not understanding why this case took two years to go to trial and why he was never arrested. And then he only gets six months!

I am still not understanding why this case took two years to go to trial and why he was never arrested. And then he only gets six months!

I'm not a lawyer but it seems to me that the low level of coercion involved was probably a mitigating factor.

According to the Willamette Week, he groped his victim and she left the bed, then called her mother for assistance. I'm not minimising the ick factor but it doesn't sound like he tried in any way to detain her or used any force to impose his will on her.

In making laws and in passing judgment on various offences, the level of coercion or violence employed is usually a factor. For instance, a pickpocket who lifts a wallet with $20 in it is not judged as harshly as someone who holds the victim at gunpoint and steals $20 from them. Both involve the theft of $20 but the means of the theft are significantly different and that difference is reflected in the severity of the punishment.

Kristian Horman should not have assaulted that girl. But justice demands that he be punished less harshly than a perpetrator who knocks his victim on the head and gropes her or a perpetrator who slips his victim a date rape drug in order to assault them.

Veering off track: there is also the issue of the effect of harsh sentencing on the willingness of victims to come forward. This girl has been described as a relative; would she have been willing to come forward if she knew that doing so would put him in jail for the remainder of his life (as some here have advocated)? I think it's reasonable to guess that if the penalty was life imprisonment, his victim might have hesitated to come forward because even though she did not want his inappropriate sexual advances, she might not want to destroy his life, either.

I have a friend who is a judoka and self defence instructor. She says that she can teach anyone ten ways to physically maim or kill an assailant but the most difficult situation to deal with is also the most common: inappropriate contact by a family member. Sure, you could scoop out an eyeball but how many people are willing to do that to Uncle Ferd who gets a little grabby after he's had five beers at the family reunion?

Six months in jail coupled with being required to register as a sex offender seems about right to me in this case. Being on that registry means that he will be permanently restricted from some types of jobs and will make it more difficult to find employment. He will be subjected to police surveillance. He may have difficulty in finding housing if landlords check the registry. Those are all significant ongoing consequences but not unduly harsh for a nonviolent crime.

From a local's point of view:

The high school the older son attended is generally considered to be the "best" high school in Portland. It is located downtown and has pretty much the wealthiest families within its boundaries--the families who are the "movers and shakers" of the city. I imagine there are some drug problems there--but higher end, more expensive drugs. While there are some students who are lucky enough to transfer in from other parts of the city--by lottery--most of the students come from upper middle class or downright wealthy families. Many of those kids could go to private school if they wanted, but Lincoln HS has such a good reputation and such good academic programs that they don't need to.

So, the idea that he moved to Roseburg to escape some kind of violence and drug infested inner-city school would be absolutely unfounded. I doubt there is any less of a problem in Roseburg--which actually has a reputation in Oregon as a high meth abuse region.

Do you know he went to Lincoln as a fact? I lived in Portland and the kids I knew who lived in PPS none of them went to their home high school. 20 years ago it was very easy to go to which high school you wanted.

Thank you raeann for clearing this up!

It has been reported that this has just been a change within the last school year and due to the fact that his old school had some drug and violence problems. He is living close to his father now, and at his grandparents where he is able to keep his horse that he is training. He is attending the school where his mother grew up and attended. I hope this explanation is ok....as I know that minors are off limits, but this info has been in the media articles.

Six months in jail coupled with being required to register as a sex offender seems about right to me in this case. Being on that registry means that he will be permanently restricted from some types of jobs and will make it more difficult to find employment. He will be subjected to police surveillance. He may have difficulty in finding housing if landlords check the registry. Those are all significant ongoing consequences but not unduly harsh for a nonviolent crime.

GrainneDu, I could not DISAGREE with you more. Six months is a SLAP in the face to all victims of any abuse.

Your theory about the victim not wanting to harm the family member offender makes sense---and THAT's why predators choose kids they KNOW---so they can earn their TRUST and make sure they can GUILT THEM into silence.

I agree that his offense was not forceful, but it is still damaging and can be REPEATED on other victims after he serves his time. Who knows if this guy had other victims and if he DID use force against them. That's a TRICK---be as sweet and gentle as you can so it doesn't seem like you're a monster.
Being on the sex offender list does not mean you can't molest/rape again. These guys/gals know how to beat the system.

Don't let these pervs fool you. They are all the same to me. IMO.

watchful-eyes, I appreciate your fervor and your opinion and without opening a huge messy debate re molesters vs pedophiles vs rapist I want to say that as a survivor even I recognize there are degrees of threat posed by diferent individuals based on their histories and the act they committed.

For me, in my own circumstance, forgiveness was key. My abuser had not perpetrated on anyone else, I was the beginning of that slippery slope. He was, himself, a survivor. Intensive counseling took place and monitoring as well. He never served a single minute in jail, but I did not feel threatened or concerned that the abuse would continue or be moved to another victim.

For my own peace of mine and mental well being I forgave but never forgot. This required absolute vigilance on my part to ensure I never saw, felt, thought or heard anything that made me feel this person was ever even so much as slightly inappropriate with another.

Sorry to be so OT and I completely understand and appreciate your outrage on behalf of victims, but I feel abuse is not a cookie cutter crime and neither should the punishments for it be.

Do you know he went to Lincoln as a fact? I lived in Portland and the kids I knew who lived in PPS none of them went to their home high school. 20 years ago it was very easy to go to which high school you wanted.

I saw a "social media" page for him that listed LHS

Tlcox,

I appreciate you sharing your story. It helps hearing from those who are/were victims---as, I admit, I was not, so I guess my credibility is not all together...

I am sorry you had to go through something no one deserves :(

I guess I just feel that most of these people DO repeat their offenses. It is so evident in many cases. I can't stand hearing about another child being hurt or taken because some FREAK was let out on bail months earlier or kept getting short sentences.

watchful-eyes, I appreciate your fervor and your opinion and without opening a huge messy debate re molesters vs pedophiles vs rapist I want to say that as a survivor even I recognize there are degrees of threat posed by diferent individuals based on their histories and the act they committed.

For me, in my own circumstance, forgiveness was key. My abuser had not perpetrated on anyone else, I was the beginning of that slippery slope. He was, himself, a survivor. Intensive counseling took place and monitoring as well. He never served a single minute in jail, but I did not feel threatened or concerned that the abuse would continue or be moved to another victim.

For my own peace of mine and mental well being I forgave but never forgot. This required absolute vigilance on my part to ensure I never saw, felt, thought or heard anything that made me feel this person was ever even so much as slightly inappropriate with another.

Sorry to be so OT and I completely understand and appreciate your outrage on behalf of victims, but I feel abuse is not a cookie cutter crime and neither should the punishments for it be.

I am so sorry that happened to you.

I too am a survivor. I was raped when I was 12 years old. I agree totally with everything you wrote above.

I went through a period where I felt that any abuser should be given a life sentence. I came to realise that I didn't like the person I was when I felt that way; I wanted to be a better person, so I started pushing myself to think rationally and logically about the issue.

I'm not saying everyone else has to make the same decisions I've made. Everyone is different and there are many "right" answers to any difficult issue such as this. I'm just trying to show how one survivor came to a particular belief.

And, objectively, I believe that the law sees it your way: that there are many levels of types of abuse that require different many different levels of punishment.

Anything new? Was he released early?

WOW, you are great at follow-up :dance: Great question. Was he only suppose to be in for a few months?

I always had this dark thought that how awful it would be if this guy showed up that morning or Terri had been in touch with him. Maybe he had visited not long before and Kyron saw or experienced something he shouldn't have. Then when LE came out and said they had learned some info they wished they hadn't I thought of Kristian again.

I know I need a NCIS bap on the back of my head, but in my mind he has never been completely out of the picture. These guys never get well.

xox

well it was a 6 month sentence and he is just about exactly 5 months into it. So maybe we can check oregon inmates.

he is not on the SO search

Wasn't it Washington State? Not seeing him in inmate search...still looking...

well it was a 6 month sentence and he is just about exactly 5 months into it. So maybe we can check oregon inmates.

Isn't he from Washington?

Thanks Bean, I'll go back on this thread and see if I can find out where he was incarcerated - the county. I don't know if they have good time in Wa like they do here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pacobasal