KY - Breonna Taylor, 26, unarmed, fatally shot multiple times by police, Louisville, 13 Mar 2020

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
There is question as to the validity of the warrant that was issued. There is question as to whether or not the suspect they were pursuing was already in custody. They rendered no aid and left the apartment. If they were in fear that a drug dealer was shooting at them, they should have continued to attempt to neutralize the the threat but did not. But, here is what they can be charged with:

"Police dispatch logs show that officers neither rendered nor called for medical attention, according to The Courier-Journal.
Rather, they waited for Walker to exit and treated Sargeant Jonathan Mattingly, an officer injured when Walker shot at the intruders, not realizing that the plainclothes officers were police."
Breonna Taylor received no medical attention after she was shot by police

They had first aid and CPR training and should have been able to render aid.

Section Eleven:
Health/Safety/Fitness (80 hours)
 Police Officer Professional Standards (POPS)
Assessment
 Physical Fitness Training
 Stress
 Fitness and Nutrition
 Blood borne Pathogens

https://louisvilleky.gov/sites/defa...rts/lmpd_training_curriculum_outline_2017.pdf
 Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR)/First Aid

Last edited:
Clearly, they knew how to render aid because they aided their fellow officer. To not render aid to Breonna is unconscionable. They had no way of knowing that her injuries would prove fatal because they didn't have that level of training (MD, coroner).

"Police dispatch logs show that officers neither rendered nor called for medical attention, according to The Courier-Journal.
Rather, they waited for Walker to exit and treated Sargeant Jonathan Mattingly, an officer injured when Walker shot at the intruders, not realizing that the plainclothes officers were police."

Clearly, they knew how to render aid because they aided their fellow officer. To not render aid to Breonna is unconscionable. They had no way of knowing that her injuries would prove fatal because they didn't have that level of training (MD, coroner).

not only that but for them to shoot and leave to the parking lot without saying who they were after the shooting, for gods sakes Kenneth called the police for help after the shooting since he had no idea that LE was the ones who shot the damn place up.

I'm not as aware of the details of what transpired that night as some of you. The boyfriend says he was with Breonna for 5 or 6 minutes until she died. Where were the officers during this time & when did they know she was shot?

I'm not as aware of the details of what transpired that night as some of you. The boyfriend says he was with Breonna for 5 or 6 minutes until she died. Where were the officers during this time & when did they know she was shot?
They came to the door unannounced in street cloths and busted the door down with a battering ram, once Kenneth fired 1 shot all hell broke loose after each officer (There were 3) emptied the clips of there guns they left the apartment and went out to the parking lot. They never identified themselves after the shooting and for that reason Kenneth called 911 to ask for assistance since he still did not know LE was on the at the apartments he thought it was a home invasion until after he was taken into custody and in the back of the police car an officer approached and told him they were sorry it was a big mistake and they had bad info for the warrant. One officer had taken a shot to his leg and LE had EMS show up to get him to the hospital. during that time they ordered Kenneth out of the apartment he was told to put down his phone he did that he was told to walk backwards to the officers he did. It was approximatly 20 minutes before LE returned to the apartment and Brionna was already dead. Kenneth told LE that she was laying in the hall coughing and breathing when he left the apartment and needed help, but they did not call for an ambulance or go in to render aid to her. she was dead when they finally went into the apartment. I would be happy to answer any ? you have as I am a local in Lou, Ky.

They came to the door unannounced in street cloths and busted the door down with a battering ram, once Kenneth fired 1 shot all hell broke loose after each officer (There were 3) emptied the clips of there guns they left the apartment and went out to the parking lot. They never identified themselves after the shooting and for that reason Kenneth called 911 to ask for assistance since he still did not know LE was on the at the apartments he thought it was a home invasion until after he was taken into custody and in the back of the police car an officer approached and told him they were sorry it was a big mistake and they had bad info for the warrant. One officer had taken a shot to his leg and LE had EMS show up to get him to the hospital. during that time they ordered Kenneth out of the apartment he was told to put down his phone he did that he was told to walk backwards to the officers he did. It was approximatly 20 minutes before LE returned to the apartment and Brionna was already dead. Kenneth told LE that she was laying in the hall coughing and breathing when he left the apartment and needed help, but they did not call for an ambulance or go in to render aid to her. she was dead when they finally went into the apartment. I would be happy to answer any ? you have as I am a local in Lou, Ky.

I'm trying to get a handle on whether the officers failed to render aid. The coroner reported Breonna would have only lived 1 minute. I believe Kenneth said he was with her for 5-6 minutes while he thought she was still alive. I don't think the officers observed him & Breonna during this time. Did she live longer than this 6-7 minutes? Other than Kenneth telling them she needed help, when did the officers see her.

Kentucky Rep. Attica Scott proposes 'Breonna's Law,' legislation banning no-knock warrants statewide

Kentucky State Rep. Attica Scott announced legislation known as "Breonna's Law," which would end the use of no-knock warrants statewide.

Scott also called on Gov. Andy Beshear and Louisville Mayor Greg Fischer, who in June signed similar legislation known as Breonna's Law banning no-knock warrants citywide, to support her proposed statewide bill.

Breonna's Law, banning the use of no-knock warrants in Louisville, unanimously passed Metro Council in June. The law requires officers executing any search warrant to knock on an entry door at the premises and "clearly and verbally announce as law enforcement having a search warrant in a manner than can be heard by the occupants," according to a news release from Metro Council. Barring pressing circumstances, officers must then "wait a minimum of 15 seconds or for a reasonable amount of time for occupants to answer the door, whichever is greater, before entering the premises."

Louisville's version of Breonna's Law also requires that body cameras be worn and activated by all officers present for at least five minutes before and after a warrant is served. The body camera footage must also be retained for at last five years.

U.S. Sen. Rand Paul, R-Ky., has filed legislation, known as the "Justice for Breonna Taylor Act," which would prohibit the use of no-knock warrants around the country.

I'm trying to get a handle on whether the officers failed to render aid. The coroner reported Breonna would have only lived 1 minute. I believe Kenneth said he was with her for 5-6 minutes while he thought she was still alive. I don't think the officers observed him & Breonna during this time. Did she live longer than this 6-7 minutes? Other than Kenneth telling them she needed help, when did the officers see her.

With respect, the men did not attempt to lay eyes on her AND they did not call for assistance knowing she was harmed. If she lived for a minute or 5-6 minutes, the point is that these men did nothing to get her help. They retreated to a lot and took care of the injured man. It is unconscionable that they would not even call for aid. Her injuries might not have been compatible with life but no one deserves to be shot and disregarded. I doubt that the implication is that just because she lived for less than X minutes that aid was not warranted. It was, if only from a human decency perspective. If she were my daughter and was shot, I would hope that people would come to her aid even if their efforts we not successful. To think of a human being bleeding out with help ignoring her nearby is just horrific. A person dying over the course of 1-6 minutes is an eternity to those who watch and those who love them. We saw that in real time with George Floyd. From a training perspective, these men knew how to render aid and should have done so, AND if they did not they were going against their training. There are consequences to ignoring or not performing to your level of training in the world of LEO.

With respect, the men did not attempt to lay eyes on her AND they did not call for assistance knowing she was harmed. If she lived for a minute or 5-6 minutes, the point is that these men did nothing to get her help. They retreated to a lot and took care of the injured man. It is unconscionable that they would not even call for aid. Her injuries might not have been compatible with life but no one deserves to be shot and disregarded. I doubt that the implication is that just because she lived for less than X minutes that aid was not warranted. It was, if only from a human decency perspective. If she were my daughter and was shot, I would hope that people would come to her aid even if their efforts we not successful. To think of a human being bleeding out with help ignoring her nearby is just horrific. A person dying over the course of 1-6 minutes is an eternity to those who watch and those who love them. We saw that in real time with George Floyd. From a training perspective, these men knew how to render aid and should have done so, AND if they did not they were going against their training. There are consequences to ignoring or not performing to your level of training in the world of LEO.

Is there any source that states when the officers saw that Breonna was injured & where was Kenneth at the time?

Last edited:
Is there any source that states when the officers saw that Breonna was injured & where was Kenneth at the time?
Yeah, it stinks not to have more information. I really wish these officers had been respectful and conscientious enough to fill out the report properly. And to have had their cams turned on and any footage released to the public immediately to maintain the public's trust. Speaking as someone who has only had positive experiences with LEO's - I assume we all want to be able to trust the people we pay to protect us. And I assume they would want our trust.

Last edited:
Yeah, it stinks not to have more information. I really wish these officers had been respectful and conscientious enough to fill out the report properly. And to have had their cams turned on and any footage released to the public immediately to maintain the public's trust. Speaking as someone who has only had positive experiences with LEO's - I assume we all want to be able to trust the people we pay to protect us. And I assume they would want our trust.
Wish there was a love button cause I love this post.

Not all people expect to have positive experiences with LE though.

Brings back memories of Amber Guyger who rendered no aid to Botham Jean after shooting him. The best she could do was stand there and say ''I thought it was my apartment. Hang in there, Bud''. Her lack of rendering aid was brought up in her trial and it will be in this trial too. BTW---she's appealing her sentence, in case anyone is interested.

This was a disaster from the getting of the warrant to their failure to even check on Breonna. This is a case that screams out for change in the "storm trooper" type policing. People like the coroner can split hairs about whether she survived one minute or three. There are multiple cases where innocent people have died in these types of take downs. No body cams were used. People in the neighborhood said that they did not announce themselves. The report was less than illuminating (I am not sure that it would have been if a bad guy shot and killed and officer.) Don't think we will get an answer to your question as the wall of silence has been raised up as we can see in the incident report (article on the incident report below).

The information on the incident report was false in some of the answers and not filled out in others(Louisville police release Breonna Taylor incident report – it lists her injuries as "none" - CBS News).

"Police also checked "no" next to the box that says "forced entry" on the form, but witnesses and crime scene photos show officers used a battering ram to force entry into the apartment while Taylor was asleep."

"Police have said the officers did not have body cameras on at the time of the shooting, but an attorney for Taylor's family claimed in a new filing Wednesday that those same officers were previously assigned cameras, according to WLKY."

"When officers were given the opportunity to explain how the fatal events of that night unfolded under the report's "notes/narrative" section, they wrote only "PIU investigation," for Public Integrity Unit."

Agreed 1000%. I come from a family with ties and respect for LEO in general. That said, I know people on the job who recount lots of suspect or questionable actions. Cameras are supposed to help but it is interesting that in many instances we find out that the camera was not on. In this instance they knew they were going out on this warrant. How could it be that in a situation that is not emergent that the cameras were off?

"We've got body camera footage from Brett Hankison in other situations and then we got a citation that shows that Myles Cosgrove just two months before this while serving a search warrant for the Criminal Interdiction Unit was wearing a body camera," attorney Sam Aguiar said."

Louisville police release Breonna Taylor incident report – it lists her injuries as "none" - CBS News

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yappychappy