GUILTY LA - Jaren Lockhart, 22, New Orleans, 5 June 2012 - #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I actually think/hope they are tried together. I would think it's likely, in fact. Especially with the conspiracy charges. If I have time, I'll see if I can find an accurate answer (or maybe some lawyers out there can chime in) but I don't think it ultimately matters which plunged the knife into her if they were both still involved in the crime. For instance, if I hold someone down while my wife stabs someone, I imagine we both can get charged with murder. Not exactly the same here, but I think the same principles come into play.

I did some quick research on Louisiana conspiracy law. Apparently, as long as the two agreed on the ultimate crime, it doesn't matter whether only one person carried out the object of the agreement. So even if MAS didn't stab Jaren, she could still be convicted of conspiracy to commit murder if the jury concludes that she agreed with TS that Jaren should be killed. I'm linking the Statute and a very good law review article on the issue.

http://law.justia.com/codes/louisiana/2011/rs/title14/rs14-26

http://digitalcommons.law.lsu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=3547&context=lalrev

So after he's transferred, what's the next step? Have they even entered pleas yet? I'm going to assume at some point motions to reduce their bonds will be filed. I guess some time deadlines will be set for discovery. Still nothing being said from the Sanchez camp. The silence is making me scratch my head.

Just a few more links. Nothing new.

Suspect in Boubon Street dancer Jaren Lockhart's death and dismemberment waives extradition
By Paul Purpura, NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune
on October 08, 2014 at 6:38 PM, updated October 08, 2014 at 8:04 PM

Speaks, 42, signed a waiver of extradition Wednesday (Oct. 7), in Orange County, N.Y., a day after he was released from a federal prison there, Kenner Police Chief Michael Glaser said in a news release.

"Arrangements are presently being made to bring Speaks back to Louisiana next week," according to the statement.
http://www.sunherald.com/2014/10/08/5844680_extradition-pending-terry-speaks.html?sp=/99/184/&rh=1

http://themississippilink.com/2014/...berment-of-jaren-lockhart-waives-extradition/

So after he's transferred, what's the next step? Have they even entered pleas yet? I'm going to assume at some point motions to reduce their bonds will be filed. I guess some time deadlines will be set for discovery. Still nothing being said from the Sanchez camp. The silence is making me scratch my head.

I agree a bond hearing will be among the first orders of business, and I'm curious to know where his will be set. MS is being held at about $1.5M. His should be at least that much, if not more, considering his history, and the fact he has no local ties.

JMO

I agree a bond hearing will be among the first orders of business, and I'm curious to know where his will be set. MS is being held at about $1.5M. His should be at least that much, if not more, considering his history, and the fact he has no local ties.

JMO

I agree. The fact that he eluded authorities in the past. The fact that he dyed his hair to elude authorities. The fact that he ran when confronted. Along with all of his other issues and the nature of the crime and the risk to the public if he's allowed to remain in it, I would hope his bond is at least that much.

Suspects in Jaren Lockhart's murder, dismemberment to be tried separately
By Paul Purpura, NOLA.com - The Times-Picayune
on October 15, 2014 at 9:45 AM, updated October 15, 2014 at 11:49 AM

[...]

Assistant District Attorney Doug Freese, prosecuting the duo with Tommy Block, announced the district attorney's office plans to try Sanchez and Speaks separately. Which defendant will go first might be announced next month. Freese did not say why prosecutors are splitting the case. But generally, the move suggests one of the defendants might cooperate with investigators or be open to testify against the other.

Suspects in Jaren Lockhart's murder, dismemberment to be tried separately
By Paul Purpura, NOLA.com - The Times-Picayune
on October 15, 2014 at 9:45 AM, updated October 15, 2014 at 11:49 AM

[...]

Assistant District Attorney Doug Freese, prosecuting the duo with Tommy Block, announced the district attorney's office plans to try Sanchez and Speaks separately. Which defendant will go first might be announced next month. Freese did not say why prosecutors are splitting the case.

But generally, the move suggests one of the defendants might cooperate with investigators or be open to testify against the other.

BBM...

The bolded above is encouraging... (Though I recognize it may not be the case here...)

:waitasec:

I find it very interesting. Jodi Arias wore glasses and had brown hair too - when she was going to trial. I guess it's a calculated move to make you look innocent to the public.

lSpeaks-1.jpg

Source: http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2014/10/terry_speaks_suspect_in_jaren.htm

- Clodumbo

I find it very interesting. Jodi Arias wore glasses and had brown hair too - when she was going to trial. I guess it's a calculated move to make you look innocent to the public.

lView attachment 61351

Source: http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2014/10/terry_speaks_suspect_in_jaren.htm

- Clodumbo

It would be interesting to find if there are studies (psychological/defense lawyers/etc./???) that indicate that "plain" features with glasses with specific "conservative" clothing... Etc....etc...etc... result in successful cases...

I am not sure I have been clear here...

but... Maybe some law students could share if there are certain courses that guide a defense lawyer in "dressing" and "posing" their clients for best results?

:lookingitup:

lView attachment 61351

- Clodumbo

Innocent, non-violent, educated, you name it. If he goes to trial though, I'm sure the jury will see plenty of pics of his true self.

It would be interesting to find if there are studies (psychological/defense lawyers/etc./???) that indicate that "plain" features with glasses with specific "conservative" clothing... Etc....etc...etc... result in successful cases...

but... Maybe some law students could share if there are certain courses that guide a defense lawyer in "dressing" and "posing" their clients for best results?

Short answer is yes. Trial Advocacy courses take a law student from beginning to end in a trial. Part of that includes presentation of your "client" to a jury. Much of that depends on the type of case and the type of audience being played to. How much of an effect that has on an outcome? I'm sure that's up for debate. I don't think it wins a case for someone like Speaks, but coming to Court looking like he did when arrested could lose a case for him.

Just putting some dates out there for future reference because it seems I am always trying to look them up.

10/20 - TS arraignment
11/17 - Pretrial Motions Hearing
1/12 - Trial for one of them

Couple more thoughts and I'll stop hogging the thread.

If I had to guess, if one case was actually assigned a trial setting, it was probably Sanchez, as Speaks hasn't even been arraigned yet. Seems premature to be giving a trial setting to someone who isn't even arraigned yet. Just a guess though that could be completely wrong. It could also be that it was just a tentative date and not a firm trial setting. In other words, everyone was at the bench looking at their i-phones to see what their availability is and 1/12 worked so they all pencilled it in without it actually being a firm date. If that's the case, I wouldn't be surprised to see that date change once things do become more certain.

IF IF IF that is Sanchez's date though, it tells me if anyone is talking, it is probably Speaks. On the one hand I would have thought Sanchez would be the one to talk if you asked me a year ago. Now, after Speaks got caught up in his own words, he may very well feel the gig is up and be the one that is doing the talking, which would make sense if the 1/12 date is for Sanchez like it seems to me.

Final thought for now...really wish that with the gruesomeness of this case, they would have been charged with 1st degree murder. At least put the death penalty on the table. Not in every case, but in many that involve narcissistic people like this, one thing I seem to see is that they will actually view it as a win if they can plead it down from 1st degree to 2nd degree, thereby avoiding the death penalty such that the State isn't determining when they die. I'm not one who is opposed to the death penalty, but for some reason, I'd prefer these 2 live a long life in prison being miserable every single day of their lives.

http://www.theindianalawyer.com/dressing-defendants/PARAMS/article/28848

"A New York defense attorney reportedly coined the term “nerd defense” to describe his practice of passing out thick-rimmed glasses to defendants to wear at trial. And one study seems to suggest that at least in a controlled experimental setting, eyeglasses may have some influence on jurors."

A study with a mock trial/case/defendant showed that " returned guilty verdicts for 44 percent of defendants wearing glasses and 56 percent of defendants without glasses.

Also interesting..."In 2010, a lawyer for John Ditullio successfully argued that his client’s profane and racially charged tattoos on his neck and his large facial tattoo could have a negative effect on the jury’s perception of his client. The Florida court agreed to pay a cosmetologist to cover the tattoos for trial using an airbrush makeup technique." (The defendant had stabbed one person to death and attempted to kill another who lived. The tattoos were gotten after the murder and I presume reflected his neo-nazi beliefs).

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FastRayne
Back