MA - Bella Bond, 2, found dead, Deer Island, Boston Harbor, June 2015 - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it could be a foster child situation, but with split custody, wouldn't you call to talk to little one while with the other custodian? Same thing with relatives. You'd call, right? Whatever the situation, I hope LE gets a good lead really soon. I pray that "THAT Someone" speaks up soon!

I also think a foster child is a good possibility. Maybe not even legit, state mandated foster care but a parent with drug or financial or other problems left their child with a friend who left that child with a relative who moved away and so on and so on. Sadly, many kids are passed around.

I think the reason she hasn't been identified yet is either:
1. The picture is too generic. We all can find 10 kids who look like that at the local mall or park. Nothing significant, nothing "special", nothing unique. Brown hair, brown eyes, possibly Caucasian or Hispanic or mixed, ears pierced. That's 3/4's of the children in Southern California right there.

2. No one wants to/can believe this is their niece or past preschool student or neighbors grand daughter. That's just too far fetched, what are the chances!

MOO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1. The picture is too generic. We all can find 10 kids who look like that at the local mall or park. Nothing significant, nothing "special", nothing unique. Brown hair, brown eyes, possibly Caucasian or Hispanic or mixed, ears pierced. That's 3/4's of the children in Southern California right there.

2. No one wants to/can believe this is their niece or past preschool student or neighbors grand daughter. That's just too far fetched, what are the chances!

MOO

Maybe because the picture is so generic, it's easy for the people who recognised the girl to tell themselves that it cannot be her. Especially if her family on the surface looks totally normal. Nice, clean house, working and well mannered parents, children clean, properly dressed, well fed and never left unattended - who would think such a nice people could hurt a child? And if the girl's caregiver said that she went somewhere away for summer... well all of those factors make it easy to explain away, that it has to be a mistake, the dead child cannot be this little girl.

The whole Caylee Anthony/Casey Anthony case comes to mind here unfortunately. Cindy Anthony was adamant about finding Casey to see her grand daughter..... Casey would NOT have reported her missing unless she had too. Now what if Caylee had been found BEFORE Cindy found Casey........ how would that have played out? It is possible that a mother whose child cramped her lifestyle did this..... never reported her missing and is not going to fess up because the child has been found....I'm rambling, hope that made sense to all of you.

I think it could be a foster child situation, but with split custody, wouldn't you call to talk to little one while with the other custodian? Same thing with relatives. You'd call, right? Whatever the situation, I hope LE gets a good lead really soon. I pray that "THAT Someone" speaks up soon!

Yeah, but if the custodial person said, "Oh, I'm sorry, she just went down for her nap," or "she's over playing with the neighbor's kids," it could be a while before you realized you were being put off and there was a real problem.

I also think a foster child is a good possibility. Maybe not even legit, state mandated foster care but a parent with drug or financial or other problems left their child with a friend who left that child with a relative who moved away and so on and so on. Sadly, many kids are passed around.

MOO

Yeah, it's probably half the girls that age in the Boston area.

I predict they will identify her in the next few days, because I'm going to be away for a while with no internet. :p

I'm glad they're holding the vigil. That has brought her back into the news a lot more, and being four weeks ago maybe by now someone will have realized that a child that used to be around occasionally is now never seen, mom always leaves the house alone yet no babysitter ever enters before the mom leaves, and this boost to the publicity might help.

This familial mitochondrial DNA thing... I know mitochondrial is only passed along the mother's side, but how distant a match could it get? Mother, grandmother, maternal aunts should be identical, but I would imagine females are less likely to be in a DNA database (I don't know which crimes get DNA stored?), and the more distant the relative the harder it would be to match with Baby Doe or to figure out which, if any, relative has a missing child...especially if no one else in the family even knew the mother had a child? Does anyone know anything about this subject?

I can't answer all your questions, but the class I took did cover a couple of things.

Everybody, male or female, has mitochondrial DNA in all their cells, so if you're related through an unbroken female line, you'll all share the same mtDNA. So your grandmother's brother will share your mtDNA (assuming grandma and her brother have the same mother) but your grandmother's father doesn't; he has the mtDNA from his mother.

mtDNA doesn't mutate as fast as regular DNA, so it's passed on through many generations. Scientists have traced some lines of mtDNA back 5000 years or more.

And you're right, just because there's a genetic connection doesn't mean that there's a social connection.

Uu
Maybe because the picture is so generic, it's easy for the people who recognised the girl to tell themselves that it cannot be her. Especially if her family on the surface looks totally normal. Nice, clean house, working and well mannered parents, children clean, properly dressed, well fed and never left unattended - who would think such a nice people could hurt a child? And if the girl's caregiver said that she went somewhere away for summer... well all of those factors make it easy to explain away, that it has to be a mistake, the dead child cannot be this little girl.

On the Namus site it states she was unrecognizable due to putrefaction,,So maybe the reconstruction is possibly a bit off?j

The only crazy story that makes sense is if she was like Amanda berry's daughter. There was another girl kept captive in a tent outside by a man AND a woman. She had daughters too. I can't remember her name. She was kidnapped from her bus route. She was rescued a few years before the girls that were chained in the basement by the guy that committed suicide in jail .
I think you mean Jaycee Lee Dugard.

HEY JOYPATH! If you have time, check out the Sandra Bland thread! OT JMO

One other possibility. Parents or single parent without close family/friends lives in Boston area. Tells neighbors and anyone else that knows them that they are moving across country. They leave Boston with a child, arrive in California without one. Who would know?

This is starting to look like the Adam Herman case.

I hate to see this thread dropping further down the list everyday. Hope they are working hard behind the scenes.

Another question. There are tests available to show the locations that a person has lived in, not just through their life but even where they spent the last few weeks. Would you expect these tests to be done as part of the tox tests on Baby Doe? I presume it's quite a specialized test that wouldn't be done in every case, and it wouldn't be needed in most, but her case seems to be a prime candidate for that kind of information to help narrow down where to search for her caretakers.

If it is done, that could help the law enforcement to focus news bulletins and billboards and shop window notices, and people who live in that area would think a lot harder specifically about the little girls that live near them, rather than have them rule something out in their mind, because it's a big country and it can't possibly be *this* girl or *this* family that *I* know ... Also knowing if she lived in one place all her life or if she'd moved around a lot, that would be helpful?

ETA thank you, carbuff, for that extra info on the mitochondrial DNA testing... I had completely forgotten that a match could also be found in a maternal-side male relative, so a maternal-side uncle or cousin may show a match, which widens the field of potential.

http://www.necn.com/news/new-england/Police-Ruling-Out-Leads-in-Baby-Doe-Case-318529441.html

"Many Facebook users led police to look into a girl named Sophia Moux, but she has been located alive and well. Other possible subjects who have been ruled out include Aliayah Lunsford of West Virginia, Ayla Reynolds of Maine, and Caleigh Harrison of Rockport.."

--------------------------------------------

This was the girl mentioned on Social Media that people were concerned about. I hope this news story clears things up for people.

MOO

http://www.necn.com/news/new-england/Police-Ruling-Out-Leads-in-Baby-Doe-Case-318529441.html

"Many Facebook users led police to look into a girl named Sophia Moux, but she has been located alive and well. Other possible subjects who have been ruled out include Aliayah Lunsford of West Virginia, Ayla Reynolds of Maine, and Caleigh Harrison of Rockport.."

--------------------------------------------

This was the girl mentioned on Social Media that people were concerned about. I hope this news story clears things up for people.

MOO

LE is certainly working hard! I hope they get the break they so desperately need. We don't need another case gone cold here :(

Even though we would all like to think that people around this poor little baby would notice that she hasn't been seen in a while that isn't always the case. :(
I'm reminded of Aarone Thompson from Aurora. A sweet little 6 year old whose father and stepmother reported missing. The parents told LE that Aarone had run away after a fight with stepmom over a cookie. After a few days LE determined that no credible person had seen Aarone in more than a year, closer to 18 months. Her siblings were told to lie about where she was if anyone asked, and LE was contacted and told she ran away only because they had been receiving a subsidy from the state for Aarone and a social worker was to do a evaluation later that day.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?59164-Aarone-Thompson-(6)-Aurora-CO-2005

It's so hard for me to believe that no one would notice when a child hasn't been seen for a while but it does happen. My heart breaks every time I sign on here and find she still hasn't been identified. I hope someone steps forward to say they know her. She deserves to be known, to have her name back and to be buried as more than "anonymous".

As always, everything I say here is JMO! :moo:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member