MA - Bella Bond, 2, found dead, Deer Island, Boston Harbor, June 2015 - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I never got an answer and I can't find one of running her DNA in databases for familial searches and hits. I guess there's a lot of flaws to it or something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What does that even mean? I watched the video but it only says "investigators now have a DNA profile". They don't elaborate

I don't know what the info will give LE, but I do know you can get your own DNA tested and then find relatives through databases. So, they might be able to find hits in LE databases or even on places like ancestry.com, depending if she has any near or distant relatives who have tested and submitted results to genealogy sites.

And, I would think it would at least give LE information on the girl's ethnic background if not more specific information.

JMO....I'm very curious where this will lead the investigation. I hope it's a useful tool to LE!!

I remember reading a report that investigators planned to enter the DNA into CODIS to see if there would be a match to anyone incarcerated;

http://www.boston.com/news/local/ma...e-not-alone/1m15eAqtDpg69PhKih0MjN/story.html
"Her DNA has been sent for comparison to others. If a family member had been swabbed for one reason or another, she might be matched to that person in the Combined DNA Index System database."

--------------------------------------------------------------

The news reports indicate that they have only now completed the DNA sequence. They had sent it to a specialized Lab in Texas.

http://www.wcvb.com/news/police-no-baby-doe-dna-match-in-missing-children-database/34292366
"BOSTON —Nearly a month after the body of a young girl was found wrapped in a trash bag on Deer Island, investigators say they have a DNA profile but have not matched it to any missing children cases, according to Massachusetts State Police."
"State police said they also submitted her DNA profile to a specialized lab in Texas that does advanced familial DNA testing."

----------------------------------------------------

However on July 13 there was a report that DNA tests found no link between Baby Doe and Baby Kate, a missing Michigan child, but the report says those are preliminary DNA tests;

http://pix11.com/2015/07/13/dna-tests-find-no-link-between-baby-doe-missing-michigan-infant/
"When computer-generated photos of Boston’s “Baby Doe” were released earlier this month, many remarked on a resemblance between the 4-year-old and Katherine Phillips. Law enforcement in Michigan told FOX17 last week they planned to discuss their ongoing investigation with police in Massachusetts to explore any connection between the two girls.

But preliminary DNA tests show there is no link, Mason County Sheriff Kim Cole told FOX17."

maybe it means that she has been entered into codis now. prior they had her dna and used it to rule out other girls but now its actually been uploaded?

It just means that have her DNA sequences/patterns or whatever, right? But they've been having that if they've ruled out missing girls already through DNA???

Special Texas lab joins Deer Island investigation
Her DNA was recently sent to the University of North Texas, which he said specializes in familial mitochondrial DNA, the advanced technique of matching a person’s DNA to their close family members instead of simply identifying two identical samples.

The process, which takes several months, could match the child to a close adult relative who may be in a national database like the FBI’s Combined DNA Index System, or CODIS.
http://www.bostonglobe.com/2015/07/22/deerisland/hdYNasQYyQsxh3FbjmrhSO/story.html#

Let me restate - I don't think it was a case of "afraid to go to the doctor" - I think it was the case of an accidental or unexpected natural death where the caregivers didn't dare go to the authorities for fear of what else might be uncovered. That might be immigration, an illegal adoption, an outstanding arrest warrant, someone who's withheld the child from the other parent, prostitution, or even some sort of fringe group.

I hate to be Debbie Downer - but unless the child's DNA gets a partial match with someone in the criminal databases, I'm really starting to think we'll never find out who she is.

Oh, I believe we will find it, but it may take years and years, the same as it did to identify Sharon Marshall.

MOO.

Massachusetts State Police, the Suffolk County DA and the FBI are involved in this case. Investigating without the public's help would get them no where. They NEED that solid lead that ID's this girl. They are doing the best they can keeping this in the public eye using social media, billboard signs, 84 of them! They need someone to say something. They looked into like 50 leads and found every child to be safe....so it is back to square one.

Can LE solve the case without publicity? Just investigating? Or do they need a tip that tells them who Baby Doe is? If so, how long can you keep releasing updates? It's been a month and I definitely feel like LE is running out of new things to talk about, and the case has faded from the national media (since LE thinks she's a local, maybe that doesn't matter as much). How long will the billboards stay up for? How long can we go where the average person in Massachusetts, nearby states, or anywhere in the country will hear about Baby Doe on a regular basis? I think soon enough, the investigation is going to turn into "Maybe we'll get a tip from another police department telling us that someone reported that they hadn't seen a little girl in a while".

This reminder falls at random: If it is from Social Media it is considered rumor and should stay on Social Media. A good rule of thumb is, if it cannot be linked or is considered rumor it does not belong here.

To date the only allowed Facebook page in this discussion is that of the
Massachusetts State Police

Thanks,

tlcya

ETA: if any local news organizations or other local law enforcement agencies have facebook pages that cover our little Princess (baby Doe) those may be linked as well.

What is the likelihood that she is related to a criminal that has DNA is CODIS?

I wonder how many of the general population is related to a criminal that would have DNA saved in a database like this... Only some crimes would require DNA submission....

http://www.myfoxboston.com/story/29603964/investigators-complete-dna-profile-of-baby-doe

"WINTHROP (MyFoxBoston.com) -- Investigators recently completed a DNA profile of Baby Doe, the toddler found dead last month on Deer Island. Her DNA, however, was no match for anything registered to the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children's database.
The search will not end there, however, and the girl's DNA profile will now head to a lab in Texas for more advanced testing. That lab has a wide database of aggregated DNA profiles which they can compare against Baby Doe's profile, Massachusetts State Police detectives told FOX25."

https://identifyus.org/en/cases/14004

The following people have been ruled out as being this decedent:
First Name Last Name Year of Birth State LKA
Shoshana Black 1994 Massachusetts
Gibbs Cassidy 2010 California
Aliya Lunsford 2008 West Virginia
Paula A. Ramerez - Figuroa 2013 California
ayla reynolds 2010 Maine

This makes me sad, I really thought she was Aliayah Lunsford.

Her DNA not being a match to anyone on NCMEC makes me think that she was never reported as missing :(

Her DNA not being a match to anyone on NCMEC makes me think that she was never reported as missing :(

I was so hoping that she would match someone already in the system. But here we are with yet another sweet child who's a victim. Another name to add to that already way too long list, if we ever get a name that is. It's so sad.

I feel so helpless.

What is the likelihood that she is related to a criminal that has DNA is CODIS?

I wonder how many of the general population is related to a criminal that would have DNA saved in a database like this... Only some crimes would require DNA submission....

One of the problems is that there are so many DNA samples around that there are starting to be false positives on family relations. The DNA class I took a while back said that the odds are one in a million that a stranger off the street would share 12 of the areas they look at for identification--but that means in an area the size of Greater Boston, with a population around 7 million, there are 6 or 7 other people out there who could be potentially identified as relatives. In areas with a more homogeneous gene pool, such as the upper midwest where so many people are of northern European ancestry, the rate goes even higher. And most of those people will not in fact be relatives, or rather are related so far back up the family tree that it's meaningless.

So the odds pretty good that she's related to someone in the criminal database, but it would require hundreds of hours of followup to determine whether anybody is actually related to her and they are likely saving it for a last resort sort of thing.

p.s. I assumed you meant a family-relations search of the state prison inmate databases. For Codis, they have better techniques.

One of the problems is that there are so many DNA samples around that there are starting to be false positives on family relations. The DNA class I took a while back said that the odds are one in a million that a stranger off the street would share 12 of the areas they look at for identification--but that means in an area the size of Greater Boston, with a population around 7 million, there are 6 or 7 other people out there who could be potentially identified as relatives. In areas with a more homogeneous gene pool, such as the upper midwest where so many people are of northern European ancestry, the rate goes even higher. And most of those people will not in fact be relatives, or rather are related so far back up the family tree that it's meaningless.

So the odds pretty good that she's related to someone in the criminal database, but it would require hundreds of hours of followup to determine whether anybody is actually related to her and they are likely saving it for a last resort sort of thing.

p.s. I assumed you meant a family-relations search of the state prison inmate databases. For Codis, they have better techniques.

Excellent and valuable information, thank you carbuff.

I would think that a hit on someone in CODIS would be most likely, as criminal activity seems plausible as the reason this death was deposited instead of reported, so why do you think that would be a last resort?

Also I disagree with a poster who said that DNA is taken at birth in MA. I raised 2 children here and never had DNA taken. A blood test for type, yes, but not DNA. Blood type is a standard part of anyone's medical record in case they need blood and is not searchable in any data base per privacy laws (HIPAA)

MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member