MA - Bella Bond, 2, found dead, Deer Island, Boston Harbor, June 2015 - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Excellent and valuable information, thank you carbuff.

I would think that a hit on someone in CODIS would be most likely, as criminal activity seems plausible as the reason this death was deposited instead of reported, so why do you think that would be a last resort?

Also I disagree with a poster who said that DNA is taken at birth in MA. I raised 2 children here and never had DNA taken. A blood test for type, yes, but not DNA. Blood type is a standard part of anyone's medical record in case they need blood and is not searchable in any data base per privacy laws (HIPAA)

MOO

There's a current scandal alleging that those birth blood samples were DNA tested and saved in a research database by NIH or somebody like that. I haven't been able to determine whether it's a real problem or a conspiracy theory thing. I've only seen it on "that sort" of website.

I agree she was likely the victim of criminal action, but that doesn't mean either she or a relative was ever convicted of a crime serious enough to require collection of DNA. That's why I thought last resort -- a big investment of time and resources for potentially very little return, in an area where LE is already overloaded with drugs, organized crime, and sex trafficking.

In my experience, this is definitely a last resort into trying to identify her. But it reflects to me no stone is being left unturned. What Mass State Police and Suffolk County DA need is a solid, legit tip from the public.

On a side note, if I noticed say, a family in my neighborhood that had a little girl about Baby Doe's age and even suspected that for an unknown reason she was no longer there I would call it in. Many people did do this, yet all of those children were found, checked up on and found to be safe. Someone knows this girl and is not reporting what they may know. That saddens and angers me.

There's a current scandal alleging that those birth blood samples were DNA tested and saved in a research database by NIH or somebody like that. I haven't been able to determine whether it's a real problem or a conspiracy theory thing. I've only seen it on "that sort" of website.

I agree she was likely the victim of criminal action, but that doesn't mean either she or a relative was ever convicted of a crime serious enough to require collection of DNA. That's why I thought last resort -- a big investment of time and resources for potentially very little return, in an area where LE is already overloaded with drugs, organized crime, and sex trafficking.

I still think it's likely that the people who would know she's missing are away for the summer, or have reason to think she's away for the summer, and in a couple of weeks when people start coming back, she'll be reported. Like when she doesn't come back from visiting the noncustodial parent.

http://www.myfoxboston.com/story/29618168/candlelight-vigil-being-held-on-deer-island-for-baby-doe

The vigil will be held on Saturday, July 25 on Deer Island.

8269416_G.jpg

I don't know about the rest of the world, but I can promise you that in hospital where I worked in newborn and intensive care nursery, we were NOT collecting DNA on any babies. We drew cord blood for type and crossmatch to rule out Coombs + situations with mom, and blood was discarded after 7 days. In the event parents wanted to store cord blood for future health problems, it was a huge PITA. We certainly didn't need extra work. Haha

She is described as "white" on NamUs, does that means she is not Hispanic or mixed or anything?

She is described as "white" on NamUs, does that means she is not Hispanic or mixed or anything?
IMO, that only means her skin is white. It doesn't tell her nationality or race. My oldest children are half Puerto Rican and appear as white skinned as I am.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

IMO, that only means her skin is white. It doesn't tell her nationality or race. My oldest children are half Puerto Rican and appear as white skinned as I am.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Thank you, I wasn't sure if that was as a result of the DNA testing or just an observation.

Excellent and valuable information, thank you carbuff.

I would think that a hit on someone in CODIS would be most likely, as criminal activity seems plausible as the reason this death was deposited instead of reported, so why do you think that would be a last resort?

Also I disagree with a poster who said that DNA is taken at birth in MA. I raised 2 children here and never had DNA taken. A blood test for type, yes, but not DNA. Blood type is a standard part of anyone's medical record in case they need blood and is not searchable in any data base per privacy laws (HIPAA)

MOO

Oh boy, this topic is SO close to my heart & experience! :loveyou:

My "love affair" with clinical laboratory medicine goes back to my childhood (Mom a Med Tech & Dad a pathologist, so guess what I became ya, BOTH!)! Going back to my part-time laboratory job in HS, I was that horrible person who did the heel sticks on babies in the nursery @ ~48 hrs after birth, saturating the Guthrie cards (https://www.nbstrn.org/sites/default/files/Massachussetts.jpg) & shipping them off, back in the day, to the State Lab. The testing in those days was limited to a few metabolic disease states (PKU, Maple Syrup & galactosemia) by bacterial testing, additional screens were added in the 1970s-90s by MS, Enzyme & Immuno assays, & Molecular testing. Massachusetts was & is one of the leaders in this national testing program!
Here's some wicked awesome links to really explain the Mass. program & is applicable to other New England States. (http://www.babysfirsttest.org/newborn-screening/states/massachusetts and http://nensp.umassmed.edu/ )

On the BBM point: while documentation of an individual's blood group (A, B, AB or O) & type (Rh + or Rh -) is an asset, it is NOT a substitute for a "type & match" of units when one needs a transfusion! Yes, type to type &/or "universal donor" transfusions can be given but only in the worst of the worst situations. TV & movies have created false scenarios regarding THAT subject!

SO.....matching a post mortem blood sample to a national neonatal sample.....borders on impossible!

PS: these blood samples are NOT collected for DNA, just think....if they were, Maury Povich would be OFF THE AIR! :laughing::truce:

IMHO, IME in Massachusetts, even!

My "love affair" with clinical laboratory medicine goes back to my childhood (Mom a Med Tech & Dad a pathologist, so guess what I became ya, BOTH!)! Going back to my part-time laboratory job in HS, I was that horrible person who did the heel sticks on babies in the nursery @ ~48 hrs after birth, saturating the Guthrie cards (https://www.nbstrn.org/sites/default/files/Massachussetts.jpg) & shipping them off, back in the day, to the State Lab. The testing in those days was limited to a few metabolic disease states (PKU, Maple Syrup & galactosemia) by bacterial testing, additional screens were added in the 1970s-90s by MS, Enzyme & Immuno assays, & Molecular testing. Massachusetts was & is one of the leaders in this national testing program!
Here's some wicked awesome links to really explain the Mass. program & is applicable to other New England States. (http://www.babysfirsttest.org/newborn-screening/states/massachusetts and http://nensp.umassmed.edu/ )

On the BBM point: while documentation of an individual's blood group (A, B, AB or O) & type (Rh + or Rh -) is an asset, it is NOT a substitute for a "type & match" of units when one needs a transfusion! Yes, type to type &/or "universal donor" transfusions can be given but only in the worst of the worst situations. TV & movies have created false scenarios regarding THAT subject!

SO.....matching a post mortem blood sample to a national neonatal sample.....borders on impossible!

PS: these blood samples are NOT collected for DNA, just think....if they were, Maury Povich would be OFF THE AIR! :laughing::truce:

I kinda miss doing PKUs. Haha....I was rather good at it. Not pricking the baby, of course, but waiting for that nice big, dangling drop to fill the circle.

It's a weird satisfaction when it would be perfect.

I don't know about the rest of the world, but I can promise you that in hospital where I worked in newborn and intensive care nursery, we were NOT collecting DNA on any babies. We drew cord blood for type and crossmatch to rule out Coombs + situations with mom, and blood was discarded after 7 days. In the event parents wanted to store cord blood for future health problems, it was a huge PITA. We certainly didn't need extra work. Haha

I think they're alleging that they suspect the DNA test is run at the same time as the PKU test and the information is saved, not the blood itself, so it wouldn't be anything extra on the nursing staff at the hospital. The belief appears to be pretty widespread.

It would sure be useful in a case like this.

BBM; LOL Yes

While I do not doubt that even my own DNA has been taken for R&D purposes, in my experience those people have their own set of morals, haha. (And better lawyers than I can afford). But I would highly doubt that any information they obtain would relate to me personally, let alone the specifics of demographics.

I did not know about the specifics of type matching even when I had surgery recently, LOL< I just say ya when I sign all those forms.

Thank you for all of your valuable insight and knowledge in these topics!

MOO

I'm still just so blown away by no one knowing her! So she must be from another country?? Maybe she's the daughter of a prostitute that's dead? So the pimp did away with her? But wouldn't the other prostitutes see the news at some point and say that's so and so's child?? I mean prostitutes see the news too, right? Or they'd at least be talking about how the mom is dead or how the mom killed her own daughter?

It can't be trafficking because they didn't say she had signs of rape. Could they be withholding that info? But they said "no trauma" right? Rape on a 4 year old would show trauma.

I just can't even dream up a crazy story that makes sense.

The only crazy story that makes sense is if she was like Amanda berry's daughter. There was another girl kept captive in a tent outside by a man AND a woman. She had daughters too. I can't remember her name. She was kidnapped from her bus route. She was rescued a few years before the girls that were chained in the basement by the guy that committed suicide in jail .

I know it's far fetched, but seriously, how else could NO ONE recognize her NOR notice her missing?

the thought that her mother could be deceased and not yet found is a great possibility. child of a prostitute is a good theory too. but a lot of these girls that have pimps are scared and are not going to be coming forward, BUT the right girls are approached by LE, if they do know something, they may talk briefly to a detective in a private out of sight area that could ID her. AND hopefully solve the case.

Other possibilities:

a child in a split custody situation spending the summer with the "other" parent

a child living temporarily with another relative while the custodial parent is deployed overseas, in prison, or something along those lines

a child who has slipped through the cracks of the foster system, like that poor boy in Fitchburg recently

absolutely all plausible scenarios!

Other possibilities:

a child in a split custody situation spending the summer with the "other" parent

a child living temporarily with another relative while the custodial parent is deployed overseas, in prison, or something along those lines

a child who has slipped through the cracks of the foster system, like that poor boy in Fitchburg recently

Other possibilities:

I think it could be a foster child situation, but with split custody, wouldn't you call to talk to little one while with the other custodian? Same thing with relatives. You'd call, right? Whatever the situation, I hope LE gets a good lead really soon. I pray that "THAT Someone" speaks up soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Iwantapuppy