MA - Conrad Roy, 18, urged by friend, commits suicide, Fairhaven, 13 July 2014

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a really long post ready but I deleted it.

I should probably stay out of this one because my brother killed himself in this exact same way and I'm having too many conflicting emotions reading here.

RIP Conrad. I hope you have found peace. :rose:

I am truly sorry to hear that. Due to our avatars; I always joke about us being related. But I had no idea of the loss of your brother. May he continue to be in your heart and by your side.

Check out Fairhaven neighborhood news for more detailed article. Download Feb 26 edition.

If this isn't found to be criminal, it should be.

I have no doubt it was all about seeking attention, and she immediately took to social media when the deed was done to get it. You have to wonder what the role of social media plays these days in certain scenarios. We have a generation that sees importance as the number of "friends" and "followers," self-worth from the number of likes on a picture. Death is almost celebrity-like and association with a victim gets you sympathy, attention and status. Is death even a reality in that mindset, or is reality a role played on small screens coming to your handhelds across America? I'm not condemning a generation, but it's ripe for possibilities of really badly adjusted individuals.

MBP isn't just about getting sympathy. It's about getting attention. This girl relished the attention she received. She sought out the attention to the point of organizing a fundraiser in his honor. I'm not saying it's MBP. It's possible MBP, but it's most likely psychopathy. But you're right about nobody would even consider MBP if it was a male.

Maybe some kind of combined "variety of a Münchausen by proxy syndrome" and psychopathy ?

In any case...I hope MC is locked up, either in some kind of mental ward, or prison, for life!

In some other countries, laws allow a charge of driving somebody to suicide, which seems like it would be a perfect charge here. I don't understand why she is charged as a juvenile. She is now an adult. Sounds like it won't even be possible for her to get any prison time.

Since she specifically told him to get back in their and finish the job; Then it could be negligent homicide. Because her negligent thinking and negligent consultation caused this to happen. Idk. All I know is they can figure something out to make an example out of her for the purpose of deterring others. JMO.

I had a really long post ready but I deleted it.

I should probably stay out of this one because my brother killed himself in this exact same way and I'm having too many conflicting emotions reading here.

RIP Conrad. I hope you have found peace. :rose:

:grouphug: take care of yourself JLSChook

There are situations, such as this, which make me feel that vigilante justice isn't always bad. Although I wouldn't encourage anyone to do anything to this evil person, I wouldn't shed a tear if someone did.

Maybe some kind of combined "variety of a Münchausen by proxy syndrome" and psychopathy ?

In any case...I hope MC is locked up, either in some kind of mental ward, or prison, for life!

I wouldn't throw away the key on this young woman just yet, even though I think this sounds pretty awful. She is young.

Don't be concerned.....twitter is all over her. This troll/guy posted a photo of her learners permit. The hands look male and disgusting. We don't want to be a part of that. edited to add... also posted her address and a photo of her house. Getting very ugly

Hopefully Dateline or some other show does a segment on this. If she does get off with nothing this case should dog her the rest of her life.

The way that I see it. You may not be legally obligated to jump in and save somebody's life. But you will and should be held accountable if you are the one who pushed him off the cliff. Jmo

I have no doubt it was all about seeking attention, and she immediately took to social media when the deed was done to get it. You have to wonder what the role of social media plays these days in certain scenarios. We have a generation that sees importance as the number of "friends" and "followers," self-worth from the number of likes on a picture. Death is almost celebrity-like and association with a victim gets you sympathy, attention and status. Is death even a reality in that mindset, or is reality a role played on small screens coming to your handhelds across America? I'm not condemning a generation, but it's ripe for possibilities of really badly adjusted individuals.
I don't think her initial motive was attention seeking. Sadism motivated her. Her texting his sister was similar cruelty. The attention was an unexpected added bonus. She relished the spotlight and continued doing whatever she could to prolong that attention. Or she wasn't seeking attention at all and her public persona was simply to cover-up what she did.

Possibly. I see her texting the sister as more evidence of her own self-importance and lack of empathy. The sister was only one of many she had lured into the events recounting what was going on, all of course highlighting her role as the "star," the confidante, the savior who failed, the devastated friend/gf who suffered so greatly but would rise above and parlay her grief into tender online quotes for all to remember what she lost. I'll stop there, I feel I'm coming across overly angry, which I guess it has made me so.

This is a psychopath. Why is she considered a "youthful offender"? This just makes me sick to my stomach that someone who so obviously was hurting would confide in this sick monster. My stomach was churning when I read the article.

Correct. Some fire fighter use to start fires so that he can come to the rescue and save the day. He was held as a hero for years until he was busted and sentenced to life in prison. He caused deaths but still at the same time continued to advocate fire safety. Wth

I think I found relevant law.

Massachusetts is one of ten states with a legal duty to rescue law.

http://www.thelaw.com/guide/injury/the-legal-duty-to-rescue-or-help-another-person/

It covers very limited scenarios, one of which I think applies in this case:

You Created the Danger: If your own negligence creates a danger to another person and causes that person to require rescuing, you will usually be found to have a legal duty to rescue the person in danger.

And that very well might be how they can make manslaughter stick.

I'd like to see the official charges on her. It can't be just manslaughter. There has to be other charges.

Since she was 17 at the time, it can be tried in juvenile or adult court.

I think she's inappropriately being tried as a juvenile. She was old enough to know better.

Assisted Suicide is another possible angle since she helped him plan it and she encouraged him to do it.

http://euthanasia.procon.org/view.resource.php?resourceID=5104

Massachusetts Laws on Assisted Suicide

Assisted suicide is governed by common law in Massachusetts. Common law is a body of law that is based on custom and general principles and is embodied in case law that serves as precedent or is applied to situations not covered by statute. In general, assisted suicide is covered by the murder statute and a statute within the laws for health care proxies.

Section 1. Murder committed with deliberately premeditated malice aforethought, or with extreme atrocity or cruelty, or in the commission or attempted commission of a crime punishable with death or imprisonment for life, is murder in the first degree. Murder which does not appear to be in the first degree is murder in the second degree. Petit treason shall be prosecuted and punished as murder. The degree of murder shall be found by the jury.

Wait! This article says she can be sentenced as an adult if she's convicted!

Carter, who was 17 at the time, was arraigned this month as a youthful offender, which means she could face punishment as an adult if convicted

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...end-life-raised-money-name.html#ixzz3T0g8sslR
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Here's the Massachusetts law on youthful offender.

The most recent substantial change to the juvenile delinquency code took place in 1996 with the enactment of the "Youthful Offender" statute. Such legislation created a new category for juveniles when they commit a crime. It provides that all juveniles aged 14 and older charged with murder are automatically treated as adults. It further established the new category of "youthful offender" allowing those juveniles aged 14 or older accused of serious offenses, to be charged as youthful offenders at the prosecutor's discretion and subjected to a juvenile, adult, or combination sentence.

The current system defines the offender and type of sentence juveniles may receive.

•is between 7 and 17 years old who has committed a felony, a misdemeanor, or violated a city ordinance or town by-law.

◾An indeterminate" sentence is a commitment of a juvenile delinquent to DYS custody until age 18. Judges have no discretion to impose a different sentence length if they are imposing a commitment here. DYS custody until 18 is the only option.​

•A Youthful Offender - is a youth between 14 and 17 years of age who has committed a felony offense AND has at least one of the following:

◾Previous DYS commitment
◾Committed a certain firearms offense
◾Committed an offense which involves the infliction or threat of serious bodily harm​

A youthful offender can receive a commitment to DYS until age 21, a combination DYS commitment and adult sentence or an adult sentence.

http://www.mass.gov/eohhs/gov/laws-regs/dys/juvenile-justice-legal-issues.html

All I know, I'd this girl is certifiable... After she's convicted of manslaughter, someone needs to see to it she is locked away in an asylum.

Arguing with him to do it can also be conspiracy to commit murder. Jmo

View attachment 70289

Michelle Carter(suspect)/Conrad Roy(victim)

R.I.P Conrad and shame on you Michelle.

Fairhaven police Detective Scott Gordon said in a police report: “Not only did Conrad tell Carter in several of his texts prior to his death that he was scared and didn’t want to leave his family, she continued to encourage him to take his own life, and when he actually started to carry out the act, he got scared again and exited his truck, but instead of telling him to stay out of the truck ... Carter told him to ‘get back in.’”

He confirmed that Carter called and sent text messages to the victim encouraging him to go through with the suicide.

“I can’t understand why they brought the charge,” Cataldo said. “They’re trying to claim there is manslaughter, when they freely admit the boy took his own life. You can’t have it both ways.”

On Carter’s Facebook page and on the Plainville Athletic League website, postings say she organized a softball tournament last September to raise money for mental health awareness in honor of her friend, Roy.

A press release advertising the fundraiser appeared in The Sun Chronicle.

The event was called “Homers for Conrad,” and Carter wrote: “life can be tough, but helping others makes it easier.”

She also posted several messages on Facebook saying how much she loved her friend and missed him.

The Facebook page that was set up for the fundraising event has been taken down and is no longer an active page.

However, Carter posted on her Twitter page about the outcome of the fundraiser.

“Thank you so much to everyone who came out to support Homers for Conrad! I’m so happy to say that with your help, we raised over $2,300!” Carter posted the message on her Twitter page Sept. 13 under the account @michyc47.

She wrote about suicide prevention often on her social media accounts.

On Sept. 10, 2014, she posted on her Twitter page: “National Suicide Awareness day, I wish more people understood. I love you and miss you everyday Conrad. Help others #WeCanEndSuicide.” She retweeted the link to a suicide prevention hotline on Sept. 21, 2014.

This girl must be schizophrenic or something. She should be evaluated. For real. I cant believe this.

If I were her Lawyer I would be pursuing that angle instead of the 'she committed no crime' angle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member