VERDICT WATCH MA - Professor Karen Read, 43, charged with murdering police officer boyfriend John O'Keefe by hitting him with car, Canton, 14 Apr 2023 #14

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm rather bemused that among the folks who think she hit him, no one can agree on the exact circumstances of how the collision occurred. It seems everyone has their own pet theory:
  • It was on purpose/an accident
  • The taillight hit John in the head/the arm/the knee/he kicked it/he threw a glass at it
  • John fell on the road and crawled onto the lawn/was thrown onto the lawn by the collision
  • John's head wounds come from the taillight/the asphalt/the curb/the fire hydrant/the frozen ground/a plow
  • the arm lacerations were from the taillight/the wheel well/the underside of the SUV/Karen's nails/a stray dog/a thornbush
Pick one from each category and you too can have a bespoke theory of the crime that's just as good as anyone else's theory. It won't match the scientific evidence, but no matter, no one else's does either.

And I haven't heard anyone who agrees with Trooper Paul, the state's "expert" who claims John was sideswiped with his arm extended, spun counterclockwise, had his head hit the pavement and then was propelled 30' backwards. Not even Lally was in agreement, as he argued something different during his closing.

rsbm.

I think @MyJoey hit upon the prosecution's true theory of the case: "It's a complete mystery but somehow, in some way that we can't explain she definitely did it."

This is the BEST summation of the prosecution ever!!! There is no explanation, but she is guilty. How in the world could this ever be beyond all reasonable doubt!!

@BienickWCVB

#KarenRead G'morning. Day 3 of deliberations. The jury has deliberated for about 9 hours over the past two days. Yesterday they asked for a report by the state police team that searched the scene after O'Keefe died. The judge said they already have all the available evidence.

8:50 AM · Jun 27, 2024

@BienickWCVB

Judge Cannone & Read's attorneys also came to a compromise yesterday about the language on the verdict slip for the vehicular manslaughter/OUI charge. During a heated discussion about that issue, the judge rebuked the defendant by saying, "Excuse me, this is funny, Ms Read?"

8:55 AM · Jun 27, 2024

I will say this again. The drunken texts are exactly what I would expect from someone who just dropped her BF off at a party, and as she drove away she thought he is partying, I am not watching his kids for him. In an alcohol induced rage, she calls him ‘John where are you’ ‘John pick up the phone’ ‘John I F n hate you’ John where are you.

Whether or not guilty, I think the VM are exactly what I would expect in that scenario.
This is ugly behavior but typical in the circumstances.
I agree typical behavior under the circumstances. One statement in testimony (can't remember which witness said it) was that "Karen was babysitter with benefits". I am sure she was aware that some of the Canton gossip regarded her as an outsider and just that...also the same gossip mentioned JO as a real player in town with the ladies All of that magnifies with that much booze. 50+ calls tells me she was off the rails and honestly did not know where he was or what happened to him.

Can you imagine if Brian Kohberger had health data on his phone showing him ascending and decending stairs which lined up perfectly with the time he was alleged to have broken into the student's house? If he said that driving over a bump in the road "tricked" his app into thinking he was climbing stairs, we'd all laugh at him, wouldn't we?

Yet this excuse is good enough for the CW in this case?

MOO

The judge getting so annoyed at Karen over the verdict slip issue just further cements it for me that she's been transparently biased throughout this whole trial. She oozes condescension and disdain whenever she's talking to the defense.
I think she is very biased in favor of CW but most of her behavior shows a distain for AJ basically I think because he is a big name from LAX...seems like some in this area of MA don't like "outsiders" ie AJ and KR.

@SueNBCBoston

The judge and jurors are entering.
Court is in session.

Many jurors look a little bleary eyed.
Even tho 3 jurors were dismissed, and 2 alternates are not with the jury, they sit in the same seats, leaving those formerly filled seats empty

Jurors answer the 3 questions.
Off they go to deliberate.
We won’t return to the courtroom until 3:30 unless there’s reason to come back.

The boxes and bags of evidence are being removed from the judge’s chambers on a hand truck.

Jurors were in and out quickly.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members