MA - Professor Karen Read, 43, charged with murdering police officer boyfriend John O'Keefe by hitting him with car, Canton, 14 Apr 2023 #8

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
You still think she hit him with her car, despite it being painfully clear that Proctor was set on getting her convicted no matter what the truth was. I’m shawked and hawrified.

Realistically, I am incredibly detached from this case. My heart is with JO’s family. In all this noise, we didn’t hear much about JO and what person he was. I hope his family will be able to preserve his legacy and tell us more about him.

I have been busy and unaware of what happened today. Did Proctor state on record that he was “dead set on getting her convicted no matter what the truth was?” Or was it Jackson who stated it? Or someone else?

MOO: KR’s lawyers are very good lawyers. Which means that for a reimbursement commensurate with their talent and reputation, they are dead set on getting her acquitted. And likely, will. I prefer Iris Eytan, she did it more elegantly, without involvement of unsavory personalities, but the result is all. The truth? Isn’t it from the area of attorney-client privilege?

It is my understanding that the cameras didn’t work, so no one is captured on camera hitting JO, killing JO or planting the evidence. We are left with weighing in the probability what is easier to conceal, something that one person participated in or something that 20+ people witnessed and tried to suppress.

JMO: Proctor’s case gives ample proof that a conspiracy of 20+ people is less likely. Proctor didn’t yet start investigating, but erupted in texts giving friends and colleagues a piece of his mind. How many blabbermouths and gossipers should be there, statistically, in a group of 20+ people?

Mass resident here. Proctor made over $146,000 last year. Can’t decide whether I’m more angry or resigned.

Source: Department of State Police payroll

Usually, I would ask, if it was for 40-hour-long week, were there overtimes, how are overtimes paid for, etc, to calculate an hourly wage.

What wonders me here is whether his texting was billed as “a workday”, or as “overtime”?

Proctor states he has all the evidence but doesn’t state that said evidence could point to multiple scenarios or explanations. For example, the shoe (could have fallen multiple different way, the broken taillight (hit JOK car) and JOK’s injuries (both he and Bukhenik had at first thought JOK was a victim of a fatal physically assault). Why not rule the other possibilities out?

He told his friend KR waffled JOK with her car. How? Waffling someone usually happens inside the vehicle when the driver presses down on the brake and unrestrained passenger’s body is forced forward and hits a part of the vehicle in front of them. It was considered a form of police brutality when officers wanted to hurt or retaliate against one of their charges riding in their vehicle (similar to Rough Ride, another form of police brutality, that resulted in the death of Freddie Grey in Baltimore). Waffling often resulted in head and facial but the damage, like Rough Ride, occurs inside the vehicle? How did MP think KR waffled JOK if he was outside her vehicle? And what position was his body in to cause the head and facial trauma as a result? And how did he decide this all on Day 1 of the investigation? Wouldn’t he need more time to look at the science and forensics?

There is also the lack of explanation or evidence for the scratches on the arm and lack of pelvic, abdominal and lower limb injuries to JOK if he was considered the victim of a hit and run? How MP explain that to himself and his fellow officers?

He didn’t investigate BA’s home for forensics so he didn’t collect all the evidence and how did he verify witnesses statements, movements and alibis if he didn’t check their phones, let alone 360 app that he knew some had available? How did he verify who was in contact with JO and KR or if they really didn’t know whether or not someone had let him in the house if he didn’t check their phones? It was a homicide investigation so shouldn’t he have covered all his bases?

MOO
Thank you for the breakdown/explanation of “waffled” and “Rough Ride.” I thought “waffled” meant someone run over with tire track impressions left on their body - at least that’s what I saw in my mind’s eye when it was said in court.

Funnily enough, when I was a kid seatbelt laws weren’t a thing. My mother would do a much milder version of the “waffling” to remind me to buckle up.

Realistically, I am incredibly detached from this case. My heart is with JO’s family. In all this noise, we didn’t hear much about JO and what person he was. I hope his family will be able to preserve his legacy and tell us more about him.

I have been busy and unaware of what happened today. Did Proctor state on record that he was “dead set on getting her convicted no matter what the truth was?” Or was it Jackson who stated it? Or someone else?

MOO: KR’s lawyers are very good lawyers. Which means that for a reimbursement commensurate with their talent and reputation, they are dead set on getting her acquitted. And likely, will. I prefer Iris Eytan, she did it more elegantly, without involvement of unsavory personalities, but the result is all. The truth? Isn’t it from the area of attorney-client privilege?

It is my understanding that the cameras didn’t work, so no one is captured on camera hitting JO, killing JO or planting the evidence. We are left with weighing in the probability what is easier to conceal, something that one person participated in or something that 20+ people witnessed and tried to suppress.

JMO: Proctor’s case gives ample proof that a conspiracy of 20+ people is less likely. Proctor didn’t yet start investigating, but erupted in texts giving friends and colleagues a piece of his mind. How many blabbermouths and gossipers should be there, statistically, in a group of 20+ people?
There doesn't need to be 20+ co-conspirators. If JOK was diverted while entering the home or outside, no one would have seen him. Let's say Colin wasn't even there. The 2 Brians are the ones who grab him as he comes in the door or whatever and take him in the basement or outside in the back yard, for example. With music playing and everyone drunk and people arriving and departing, it would be difficult for most to know what happened. (I've had crazy things happen at gatherings I have been at that I missed for whatever reason and found out the next day.)

So it could be as simple as the 2 Brians and Chloe. After everyone finally left, BA may have ultimately confided in his wife that something terrible had happened and BOK was out on a lawn. She may have told JMc and they plotted to cover it up to protect BA and likely Chloe. That is when the coverup began and could have just included the Alberts, the McCabes (at least Jen) and the other Brian. Then everything that followed was more a matter of confirmation bias.

I mean think about it. Cops and cop families are generally going to lean toward trusting other cops, especially if they sort of kind of (loosely) know them. They ate up everything that the Alberts and McCabe's told them, including MP. He's an idiot, but because of his being a cop and knowing people around the families, he immediately believed everything that they told him and just went with it. He may still believe KR is a cold-blooded killer, but more than likely because he is so invested in it. He may be so convinced that he would quietly help out the situation by sprinkling around a little red fairy dust.

That said, when people rule out a conspiracy, just remember that there are MANY occasions that have been proven to be a widespread conspiracy, including police officers. So it isn't that far out of the realm.

That said - I hope the new homeowners of 34F offer up access to their home to the feds to explore what may have actually happened inside that house.

Mass resident here. Proctor made over $146,000 last year. Can’t decide whether I’m more angry or resigned.

Source: Department of State Police payroll
I can't speak to MA directly, but I can tell you that in many cases these listings of police overtime/yearly pay including extra duty/outside work. For example, construction jobs, security for large events, that sort of thing. Many departments have it set up where officers are hired through their departments (in most cases this is a statutory requirement), and the department bills for their services, often with an administrative fee tacked on. So an officer making $146,000 who works a decent amount of regular OT for his/her department plus works a lot of extra duty jobs, could easily have a salary that large in any given year BUT, that may not all be taxpayer money.

rs(ab)bm.

Are you saying that Karen's lawyers shouldn't try to get her acquitted? That they should just kind of make a half-hearted effort, like in a Russian show trial?

Every defense lawyer wants to get their client acquitted. Most, however, aren't blessed with a wealth of exculpatory evidence that point the finger in other directions. Nor do most defense lawyers have the subpoena power of the federal government behind them, providing them access to information that the trial judge would have never given them. With such a poor showing by the DA, If Yannetti and Jackson hadn't pushed for a complete exoneration of their client, it would be malpractice.

Today marks the 24th day of witness testimony in the #KarenRead murder trial. Karen and her defense team arrived to Norfolk Superior Court to cheers of support. She is accused of hitting Boston Police officer John O’Keefe with her car. Her defense says she was framed.

This certainly isn’t the hill I’m dying on with this case but I do think it’s suspicious. It was the home Brian Albert and his siblings grew up in, his family had owned the house for decades. It was listed for sale 11/17/2022, so a few months shy of a year.
To put that timeframe in context: June 2022 was the grand jury where the charges turned into murder charges, September 15th 2022 is the first motion filed referencing the Alberts - in which the defense requested the entire family’s phones - October 5th 2022 is the first time Julie Nagel is interviewed, mid-October 2022 is when Brian Higgins and Brian Albert destroy their phones. To say the investigation had been minimal to this point is an understatement.

Remember the texts from Proctor about the owner of the house being fine since he was a Boston police officer. I think the November 2022 listing date could very well be indicative of when the Alberts realized they were actually going to be investigated and compelled by the court to cooperate. I think there is a clear parallel between destroying their phones 9 months later and selling their home after 10 months. Not to imply those are equal actions but Brian Albert clearly wasn’t worried about the contents of his phone until mid September 2022, why would his house be any different?
Think it says they bought the house in 2010, so they owned it 12 years. Personally I don’t see selling the house as having anything to do with the case. Any evidence of a crime would be long gone either way.

Think it says they bought the house in 2010, so they owned it 12 years. Personally I don’t see selling the house as having anything to do with the case. Any evidence of a crime would be long gone either way.

I don’t think you can say for certain that no evidence would be long gone.

@FallRiverReport

Good morning. We are here at Norfolk Superior Court for another day in the #KarenRead murder trial. Judge Cannone has told jurors she believes they will have this case in their hands for deliberation by the last week of June. Not much longer.

The outside supporters of the #FreeKarenRead movement were exceptionally loud this morning as Karen and her team walked in. Jackson was all smiles.

I still think she could have done it but there’s too much doubt, show me more factual proof

Show me the car telemetrics/data/whatever you call it showing her speed and tire movements, pair this with an accident recreation from a reputable expert

Show me JOK’s phone showing his movements from )I know at least an iPhone records this information) that he wasn’t in the house but only ever outside, show me in his phone him arguing with KR on texts

Show me where this dog is, show me a receipt or work order from the company who dug out their concrete in the basement that it needed to be replaced with nothing to do with JOK being murdered in there

Show me better footage of the tail light being broken

Honestly why hasn’t the CW presented at the very least the car data, is this going to be their nail in the coffin close? I don’t know but right now there are too many questions to say beyond a reasonable doubt

Well…the recent updates to the LISK case have shown that evidence can be found decades later so maybe not true that evidence at 34 Fairview is long gone.

@TedDanielnews

Good morning from day 24 of testimony in the Karen Read trial.

We are underway.
A full day is scheduled.
This courtroom is tiny but apparently much cooler than the bigger next door.
-Lt Brian Tully is expected to return to the stand
-David Yannetti told me yesterday he met with plow driver Brian "Lucky" Loughran Tuesday and the defense will call him if the prosecution does not.
-The prosecution still has phone and crash experts to call.
*Court Officers and staff have been amazing. A thank you to all of them.

9:10 AM · Jun 13, 2024

Any opinions from parents on protecting a son who may have committed murder? Even if accidental, what does that teach him for the future? That he can do whatever he wants and mummy and daddy and Uncle Albert will save him from getting caught?

ETA: I do not have kids so this is a genuine question.
I would never hesitate to tell my son to do the right thing and take responsibility. I would help with attorney fees, but I would t let him hide a crime - that eats souls!

Interesting article about Karen Read. I am far from MA so just started connecting some dots.

Speaking about ethical/professional standards of a public figure, ughm…

Karen Read works as the adjunct professor of economics in the college where her father is the Dean of Business. Her family fully supports her. Karen Read has the connection to a blogger with large following who now writes about nepotism and corruption of Canton PD.

Seems like the pot calling the kettle black to me, no?

Again, I am very sorry about KR’s personal struggle, and my unwavering support is for all people with disabilities, but the time has amply shown that not even the highest public servant’s child is above the law, so I think it is the right time to discuss what I am seeing.

It is all from an atricle about KR in the Daily Mail which is an approved source ;) I posted it above.

Here is the article about TB and KR

These are articles. Watching court and seeing the corrupt behavior of the trooper and the absolutely insanely unprofessional investigation means a lot more to me then rehashing old articles - many of which were biased against one side.

Just wondering how that ring footage would benefit or hurt anyone?
Showing when she returns home. It would have been interesting to see her taillight intact before she bumped his vehicle leaving later. They also try to claim she drove past the house on her own before meeting when friends and this could have been disproven. Proctor admitted in the stand that he wrote down her arrival at JOs house, but then didn’t include it in his report.

I have a question -- wasn't the earlier testimony that officers were advised to "drive past the house as many times as you need to in order to find the tail light pieces"? If they had found all these tail light pieces on 01/29, and they were so sure that it was KR within 16 hours, then why would officers need to be directed to drive by the house? If they found that much tail light, and they already thought it was her within 16 hours then wouldn't you direct your officers to go back there and shovel and look for taillight pieces? Those two things seem directly in conflict with one another. JMO
Great point!!! Where was the snow blower to look for those taillight pieces?!

Proctor admitting he had not even been to the crime scene before disparaging KR to his friends confirms to me that he had already decided where to make the investigation lean - one way or another. We can all see he didn’t log evidence, have a true chain of custody, and yet the prosecution wants us to believe none of it was tainted?? Nobody else was investigated?!! Didn’t I hear yesterday that he wrote down Colin’s name, yet didn’t include it in his report?! He admitted things that point towards framing the conclusion where he wanted it to go for those who would read his reports. This NEVER should have made it to trial

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amarie969