MA - Vanessa Marcotte, 27, murdered, Princeton, 7 Aug 2016 #7 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you mean that Colon is in the name of his place of work?

His name is Angel Colon-Ortiz.

I'm referring to the FB profile that was found by another sleuther. Looked again and it's the school he attended that has Colon in its title. The name on the profile is Angel Ortiz. But there are loads of Angel Ortizs. Even several on FB living in Worcester. So I don't think that's likely his profile.

I believe he is from Western Mass, Springfield.

From what I have discerned, he is Puerto Rican, which would make him a US citizen.

From what I have discerned, he is Puerto Rican, which would make him a US citizen.

Why do you think he's from Western MA? I guess what I'm confused by is why we're convinced he's from elsewhere? Was there anything else found in our searches that implied he was residing somewhere other than Worcester?

Authorities won’t release details about suspect in Marcotte case

^^^ i wonder why? Like their hiding something. Jmo

Protecting the case for prosecution and might also be protecting innocent family members or associates connected to him.

On the 15th, I had stated that it was the best I have been able to find when searching using his name as released to media, age of 31, and from Massachusetts. I hadn't specified anything, linked, etc., since I don't, like any of us, know for certain.

On the 15th, I had stated that it was the best I have been able to find when searching using his name as released to media, age of 31, and from Massachusetts. I hadn't specified anything, linked, etc., since I don't, like any of us, know for certain.
I've been unable to find anyone with that exact name. If he is on FB then he doesn't go by his full name.

http://www.telegram.com/news/20170416/easter-message-of-hope-in-princeton-after-arrest-in-slaying

Interesting article in Worcester Telegram and Gazette..."odd" (I'll leave it at that) little event with man driving a Jaguar, but also a quote from a woman who was out walking her dog on the day Vanessa was murdered.

(I always hate typing that...ugh.)

As an aside, the Easter bunny skipped my place. No chocolate, dagnabit.

Sent from my SM-N910R4 using Tapatalk
I had to go out and buy my own chocolate. No one stops at my house with baskets either.

This is a great day.
I find it odd that he is not being charged with Murder as of yet.
Aggravated assault, and Assault with intent to rape.
http://www.wcvb.com/article/5-inves...-of-princeton-jogger-vanessa-marcotte/9279978
It is nice to see the State Police Officer was alert, and wrote down his plate number.
Overall Great work from LE.
With so little to go on, I must admit that there were times I had my doubts that this man would be caught, and I am glad I was wrong.
Have a great Easter everyone!

I was hoping someone familiar with MA law would explain the decision to hold off on the murder charge. My guess is that there is some quirk in the law that applies to charges that would have been considered capital crimes before MA found the capital statute to be unconstitutional. Charging someone with one of those offenses might trigger a procedural step, an additional protection, or start a clock. The lesser charges were enough to keep him in custody until arraignment so they decided not to hit the trigger??

Again, the above is a guess. Hopefully someone knowledgeable of Mass law can weigh in.

I was hoping someone familiar with MA law would explain the decision to hold off on the murder charge. My guess is that there is some quirk in the law that applies to charges that would have been considered capital crimes before MA found the capital statute to be unconstitutional. Charging someone with one of those offenses might trigger a procedural step, an additional protection, or start a clock. The lesser charges were enough to keep him in custody until arraignment so they decided not to hit the trigger??

Again, the above is a guess. Hopefully someone knowledgeable of Mass law can weigh in.

Could it be that they need more info on whether it was spontaneous or planned, which might affect the degree of the murder charge?

Just changed neighbor's name to initials...

==

Neighbors of the Worcester, Massachusetts, man accused of killing jogger Vanessa Marcotte in Princeton, are speaking out Monday.

Angelo Colon Ortiz, 31, was taken in custody Friday night inside his Woodland Street apartment after providing DNA evidence to investigators.

"He does live downstairs with his wife," said neighbor [LM]. "I know he has a couple of kids."

[LM] said Colon-Ortiz moved into the apartment right below her about six months ago, and they've never had a problem. Authorities say Colon-Ortiz is now the suspect in the August 2016 murder of 27-year-old Marcotte.

http://www.necn.com/news/new-england/Neighbors-of-Princeton-Murder-Suspect-Speak-Out-419653683.html

Could it be that they need more info on whether it was spontaneous or planned, which might affect the degree of the murder charge?
I think the reason to hold off was a strategy to use so they could question him more to gain more evidence against him. If he was charged with Murder, he may have been more reluctant to talk. As far as the degree of the murder charge goes. I see this as a "First Degree Murder" charge with not only "Extreme Atrocity or Cruelty," but possibly a charge of "Malice Aforethought" depending if he brought accelerants with him that have been discussed here so often.
This is why.
First Degree Murder doesn't have to mean the murder was planned in advance. If someone dies while another felony is being committed , (ie. Bank Robbery, Home Invasion, or in this case Assault With Attempt To Rape) then First Degree Murder charges apply.
Extreme Atrocity Or Cruelty applies because her body was set on fire. In many states this would be a reason to add Capitol Murder Charges, but here is means "life without parole."
Malice Aforethought would apply here if he brought the accelerants, because he planned ahead of time to do severe injury.

==

Neighbors of the Worcester, Massachusetts, man accused of killing jogger Vanessa Marcotte in Princeton, are speaking out Monday.

Angelo Colon Ortiz, 31, was taken in custody Friday night inside his Woodland Street apartment after providing DNA evidence to investigators.

"He does live downstairs with his wife," said neighbor [LM]. "I know he has a couple of kids."

[LM] said Colon-Ortiz moved into the apartment right below her about six months ago, and they've never had a problem. Authorities say Colon-Ortiz is now the suspect in the August 2016 murder of 27-year-old Marcotte.

http://www.necn.com/news/new-england/Neighbors-of-Princeton-Murder-Suspect-Speak-Out-419653683.html

It makes sense that he has an address in Worcester.
I know there has been discussion that he may live in Fall River, or Springfield, but, if that was true, LE wouldn't have been lead to Worcester when they ran his licence plate number.

==

I wonder where he was living at the time of the murder.
It's been 8 months and he has been living here 6.

Colon is also an area of Puerto Rico.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Idk i don't like that his mugshot hasn't been released, they got their guy, LE said that. Mass also doesn't have DP, i don't live that. I do have a feeling he may be illegal, i don't like that. Mass has a bill or has passed a bill for sanctuary state, i don't like that. Jmo
No reason not to release mugshot, no reason not to say he is legal at this time, they know that. Jmo

"We got him," Early said.

http://www.masslive.com/news/worcester/index.ssf/2017/04/suspect_arrested_in_killing_of.html

Ortiz has no criminal history. The DA was unsure whether he is a U.S. citizen. *

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4414412/Cops-make-arrest-murder-Google-executive-jogger.html

He's PR, they are American Citizens. If he was illegal, press woulda been alllllll over that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where did you find information that he was from Springfield?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I think the reason to hold off was a strategy to use so they could question him more to gain more evidence against him. If he was charged with Murder, he may have been more reluctant to talk. As far as the degree of the murder charge goes. I see this as a "First Degree Murder" charge with not only "Extreme Atrocity or Cruelty," but possibly a charge of "Malice Aforethought" depending if he brought accelerants with him that have been discussed here so often.
This is why.
First Degree Murder doesn't have to mean the murder was planned in advance. If someone dies while another felony is being committed , (ie. Bank Robbery, Home Invasion, or in this case Assault With Attempt To Rape) then First Degree Murder charges apply.
Extreme Atrocity Or Cruelty applies because her body was set on fire. In many states this would be a reason to add Capitol Murder Charges, but here is means "life without parole."
Malice Aforethought would apply here if he brought the accelerants, because he planned ahead of time to do severe injury.

You think he would talk more if they held off on the murder charge? If he did this- and we know he did- then he knows the outcome and knows they're after the killer. And he knows they have pinned the sexual assault on him. I do believe the guy to be kind of an idiot, as I always suspected, But I'm not sure he's THAT dumb. He'd have to be brain dead not to see and already know where this is going for him.

On the rest of that stuff, I didn't know any of that. Very interesting, thanks for sharing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeDee214