Madeleine McCann: German prisoner identified as suspect - #20

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is that confirmed?

"At about 23.00 accompanied by a PJ inspector, the searches were begun. After Rex was given the girl's clothing to sniff, he began to search on the ground floor of block 5 and when he passed the door of apartment 5 A (the place the girl had disappeared from) according to his handler, officer Fernandes, the dog altered its behaviour, sniffing with greater intensity than he had done before. Apartment 5J of the same block was also checked as the dog had been more agitated than before as if there were a very strong strange odour there. It was stated that this apartment had been unoccupied for some time. Afterwards, the same kind of search was carried out using the dog Zarus which in general terms showed the same behaviour in the same places as Rex had done."

Documented Evidence - Page 5
When were sniffer dogs first used?

This is probably a really daft question but surely there is a problem with tracker dogs in that MM would have been in and out of 5A constantly to the pool, the holiday club and the appts occupied by other members of the Tapas group. Including up to the time the family returned to the flat just hours before the abduction. Probably using the same path each time which would strengthen that particularly trail

How would a dog specifically track the path taken by the abductor with all that extraneous scent? Are they trained to look for the freshest or are the started at a point away from the last known place?

Secondly, and this is probably a really daft idea, is there a way to mask scents?

Is that confirmed?

"At about 23.00 accompanied by a PJ inspector, the searches were begun. After Rex was given the girl's clothing to sniff, he began to search on the ground floor of block 5 and when he passed the door of apartment 5 A (the place the girl had disappeared from) according to his handler, officer Fernandes, the dog altered its behaviour, sniffing with greater intensity than he had done before. Apartment 5J of the same block was also checked as the dog had been more agitated than before as if there were a very strong strange odour there. It was stated that this apartment had been unoccupied for some time. Afterwards, the same kind of search was carried out using the dog Zarus which in general terms showed the same behaviour in the same places as Rex had done."

This is probably a really daft question but surely there is a problem with tracker dogs in that MM would have been in and out of 5A constantly to the pool, the holiday club and the appts occupied by other members of the Tapas group. Including up to the time the family returned to the flat just hours before the abduction. Probably using the same path each time which would strengthen that particularly trail

How would a dog specifically track the path taken by the abductor with all that extraneous scent? Are they trained to look for the freshest or are the started at a point away from the last known place?

Secondly, and this is probably a really daft idea, is there a way to mask scents?

Is that confirmed?

If it's true about an OC employee tipping CB off or if an OC employee was involved somehow they may have moved her to that room as they had access and it was unoccupied?

Last edited:
Even with the contamination of that crime scene, surely that scenario would have left at least some useful forensic evidence, some evidence of a struggle and enough noise to wake and distress the twins who were still fast asleep at 22.00. And why do that when quicker and easier to just grab MM.

I think a planned abduction and quick getaway is more likely.

Yes, in the scheme of plausible things, a quick in-out with a definite plan in place makes much more sense to me as a possible scenario rather than a hapless burglary gone wrong.

It's here: P.J. POLICE FILES: ACTION WITH THE SEARCH TEAM OF GNR
8 May 2007 at 23h45

But isn't it strange that a well-trained sniffer dog gets distracted by food? Once again it was the opinion of the GNR team that the dog was 'conditioned' by the small of the food remnants.

Could indeed be, and I'm not at all saying this is not plausible just wondering then what the concrete evidence that she is dead could be? how would LE really know she is dead, we were thinking vid or pics etc, if he was a lone wolf why LE looking to find the Russian brothers, and again what was the job he had to do ? OMO
The concrete evidence could still be a photo in the scenario of her being killed in 5A, CB might have chosen to take photos of the corpse afterwards and maybe other sickening acts before diposing of her.

As the for Russian link, there's no reason to think they have anything more to do with it than any of the other thousand theories touted in the press over the last 3 months. All the people we've heard as possible accomplices etc, they can't all be involved in this crime. It's clear LE have being trying to track every known associate of CB to see if they know anything that can help. My guess is that it's just another instance of that.

The job he had to do? That apparent quote is a fourth hand account. CB said something to his ex. That ex then relayed her interpretation of what she recalls him saying to a friend. That friends tells his interpretation of this to a tabloid. That tabloid writes a piece sensationalising as much as possible to sell papers. I don't know how much reliability can be placed in the accuracy of it to be honest.

However, even if it was said as quoted, a planned burglary still fits the description of a horrible job. I do wonder why, if he was planning to abduct a small child, something that's obviously going to become major news, why he'd give his girlfriend a heads up on it.

Apartment 5J:
Regarding the interest in 5J, the dog could have been 'conditioned' by the possible presence of people inside, along with a smell that it wanted to confirm at the cracks [gaps] around the door, it being understood from the signals it gave to the handler that it was trying to confirm the presence of the intended [hunted] scent.
P.J. POLICE FILES: ACTION WITH THE SEARCH TEAM OF GNR
So 5J was occupied at the time?

The second dog was submitted to the same operation, also showing interest at door of 5J, namely it scratched with it front paws at the veranda parapet and lifted its head to sniff the air to find a scent. As noted above, this interest was conditioned by various things, it being certain that the dog sensed a strong odour in that place and wanted to check that [if] he had found the intended scent there.

If MM died in the apartment, why did HCW release the pictures of a that random room asking people to come forward if they recognised the interior?
I hate saying this, but maybe the abuse happened after MM died on the apartment?
Apartment 5J:
Regarding the interest in 5J, the dog could have been 'conditioned' by the possible presence of people inside, along with a smell that it wanted to confirm at the cracks [gaps] around the door, it being understood from the signals it gave to the handler that it was trying to confirm the presence of the intended [hunted] scent.
P.J. POLICE FILES: ACTION WITH THE SEARCH TEAM OF GNR
So 5J was occupied at the time?

The second dog was submitted to the same operation, also showing interest at door of 5J, namely it scratched with it front paws at the veranda parapet and lifted its head to sniff the air to find a scent. As noted above, this interest was conditioned by various things, it being certain that the dog sensed a strong odour in that place and wanted to check that [if] he had found the intended scent there.
I keep thinking of people referring to CB having 'a strong smell', whether that be weed, car mechanic stuff or other things....

However, even if it was said as quoted, a planned burglary still fits the description of a horrible job.
With respect, a planned burglary would not be a horrible job for a seasoned burglar, which CB was/is. It would just have been another grifting day for him.

I do agree with you though as regards the (un)reliability of this alleged comment CB's alleged to have made on the eve of the 3rd. It reeks a bit of possible opportunistic sensationalism which the tabloids thrive on and which they're unlikely to have examined in any objective detail in their rush to scream 'guilty!!!!'

Last edited:
I hate saying this, but maybe the abuse happened after MM died on the apartment?

I keep thinking of people referring to CB having 'a strong smell', whether that be weed, car mechanic stuff or other things....

There are reports, that a huge cadaver smell was recognized by the neighbors of the neuwegersleben area, related to the site. Who knows, what he did over the day already in 2007.

From the link, I wonder how they know this (bib):
My guess would be from whatever CB told HB. As per my earlier post, if they've been able to verify other parts of what HB claims CB told him as true, they would have confidence in his statement. And/or via a photograph/video. Even if it doesn't show the actual killing, the cause of death could be evident from a picture of the corpse. Just as an example, there could be obvious strangulation marks.

With respect, a planned burglary would not be a horrible job for a seasoned burglar, which CB was/is. It would just be another grifting day for him.

I do agree with you though as regards the (un)reliability of this alleged comment CB's alleged to have made on the eve of the 3rd. It reeks a bit of possible opportunistic sensationalism which the tabloids thrive on.
To him, possibly not. But to an non-criminal girlfriend, he might put it that way. It may even have just been bluster on his part. Perhaps there was no job and he was just making something up as he wanted to break up with her ("you wont see me for a while" was another apparent quote). We just don't know.

Besides, it can all come down to context and interpretation. A horrible job can mean anything from having to clean the toilet to having something physically exerting to do. My question would be, if he really was planning some elaborate abduction of a child, why would he go alluding to it beforehand to an innocent party?

8 May 2007 at 23h45

But isn't it strange that a well-trained sniffer dog gets distracted by food? Once again it was the opinion of the GNR team that the dog was 'conditioned' by the small of the food remnants.
Thanks for that.

So basically they are saying the dog wasn't indicating anything at all in flat 5j but instead was checking a very smelly area to see if it could discern the much fainter scent it was looking for. Sort of nasally checking an odorous haystack for a needle ie any scent of MM?

Basically it checked a smelly bin bag and found nothing so moved on same way we'd take time to stop to look thru a messy drawer to find a lost earring and then move on.

So the most interesting thing is that when the dogs did detect a scent it led them down a relatively sheltered path to the carpark by block six after which they lost the scent.

The handlers have suggested less sheltered so scent dispersed but could it also be where a vehicle was parked?

One thing confused me - why use a towel to give the dogs MMs scent. Something that would also have scents of shampoo and soap. Wouldn't that nights bed sheets give a better scent and possibly also of the abductor. Or her toy cat?

Perhaps there was no job and he was just making something up as he wanted to break up with her ("you wont see me for a while" was another apparent quote). We just don't know.

My question would be, if he really was planning some elaborate abduction of a child, why would he go alluding to it beforehand to an innocent party?

I agree. Which makes it pretty unlikely, all things considered. And maybe not something that it's worth dwelling on and/or using as possible evidence against him?

PS. Without wishing to make light of any of this, I did actually :D at the idea that rather than be up front with a girlfriend that he no longer wanted as a girlfriend, he choose instead to tell her he had some horrible job to do that would, sadly and unfortunately, mean that he'd no longer be able to see her.

As break-up methods go, it's hilariously creative.

8 May 2007 at 23h45

That's about 4G and they say before "it is in this apartment that the parents of the missing child are currently staying".

Before that:

"It is noted that next to 5H there were two bags of rubbish which immediately 'conditioned' the search because the smell was intense and the dog went to check. The opinion of the GNR officers was decisive in affirming that the dog was only checking that strongest odour to try to find the small from the towel."

So, perhaps when they find strong smells they try to find the weaker one they're searching for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elle C