Madeleine McCann: German prisoner identified as suspect - #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Madeleine McCann: German police want to retest mystery saliva sample

Portuguese forensic tests on the sample apparently found no DNA match to the new suspect, German drifter Christian B.

But the German authorities believe their scientists should carry out their own tests because the sample - thought to have been found on Madeleine's bed - is potentially vital evidence and they hope they can match it to their suspect.

But the Portuguese police (PJ) are unlikely to send the sample, partly because of recent criticism by the German prosecutor Hans Christian Wolters.

He said last week the PJ still believed that Madeleine's parents were responsible for their daughter's disappearance from the apartment in Praia da Luz in 2007. The PJ ruled them out as suspects in 2008.
Sky Crime Correspondence in Portugal, they need something to put out there. Why they wouldn't co-operate, makes no sense.

Sky seemed to have updated their story.

Madeleine McCann: German police want to retest mystery saliva sample

'German investigators want to retest a mystery saliva sample found in the holiday apartment from where Madeleine McCann went missing.

Portuguese forensic tests on the sample apparently found no DNA match to the new suspect, German drifter Christian B.

But the German authorities believe their scientists should carry out their own tests because the sample - thought to have been found on Madeleine's bed - is potentially vital evidence and they hope they can match it to their suspect.'

So it seems the German police distrust the PJ and as you would think, after knowing about CB for 7 years now, some re-testing has already been done.

Sky Crime Correspondence in Portugal, they need something to put out there. Why they wouldn't co-operate, makes no sense.

They did co-operate though it seems, re-tested the sample as requested but German LE are saying they don't accept the result.
Then....presumably this re-test was done a while ago, the prosecutor was pretty unprofessional in criticising the PJ publically and now he criticises them again by basically saying they must have 'bungled' the test.

I'll be shocked if they find DNA evidence from the scene of the MM abduction at this point.

But they must prevent his eventual release. In my country (U.S.) there are sadly many untested rape kits (evidence taken from assault victims). Can someone from Germany comment whether this is an issue in Germany too? Or would Germany have what they have from past crimes committed there by now?

The thing about the DNA testing is that DNA testing is growing more sophisticated and accurate as time goes by.

Retesting by countries with more developed testing practises may be very useful.

I hope that Portugal's current testing practise is as advanced as German testing practise is likely to be.

A TINY SCRAP of blue material held in the vaults of a Portuguese forensic lab could provide the vital link between German suspect Christian B and Madeleine McCann.
The material had come from the toddler's bedspread and was later discovered to have saliva on it.

Scientists were unable to obtain a full DNA profile at the time but have continued to work on it with new testing techniques.
The sample is being held at the National Institute of Legal, Medical and Forensic Science, in Coimbra, near Lisbon.

Scrap of material held in lab could prove link between Maddie and Christian B

They did co-operate though it seems, re-tested the sample as requested but German LE are saying they don't accept the result.
Then....presumably this re-test was done a while ago, the prosecutor was pretty unprofessional in criticising the PJ publically and now he criticises them again by basically saying they must have 'bungled' the test.

The Portuguese tested it originally, The UK LE looked at it at the time. The Germans want to test it in their own labs now. That's what the Sky Crime Correspondent said this morning (I watched it live). The method is likely to be the same.

The thing about the DNA testing is that DNA testing is growing more sophisticated and accurate as time goes by.

Retesting by countries with more developed testing practises may be very useful.

I hope that Portugal's current testing practise is as advanced as German testing practise is likely to be.

A TINY SCRAP of blue material held in the vaults of a Portuguese forensic lab could provide the vital link between German suspect Christian B and Madeleine McCann.
The material had come from the toddler's bedspread and was later discovered to have saliva on it.

Scientists were unable to obtain a full DNA profile at the time but have continued to work on it with new testing techniques.
The sample is being held at the National Institute of Legal, Medical and Forensic Science, in Coimbra, near Lisbon.

Scrap of material held in lab could prove link between Maddie and Christian B

I stated the same in a previous thread.
Originally there were question marks over the sample as to whether it was semen or saliva.

The Portuguese tested it originally, The UK LE looked at it at the time. The Germans want to test it in their own labs now. That's what the Sky Crime Correspondent said this morning (I watched it live). The method is likely to be the same.

Do you mean originally as in 2007? against a suspect they didn't have on file?....

That can't be what Sky are referring to as they say ;

'It is understood the German authorities would apply the same forensic techniques as the Portuguese.'

Any testing now is not going to be the same technique as 2007, so they must mean the PJ retested recently.

Last edited:
Do you mean originally as in 2007? against a suspect they didn't have on file?....

No that was against other suspects. But apparently the DNA has been tested against the current suspect by the Portuguese police and ruled out as being his DNA.

No that was against other suspects. But apparently the DNA has been tested against the current suspect by the Portuguese police and ruled out as being his DNA.

Right, so as I say. The PJ have co-operated and re-tested the sample. German Prosecutor is demanding to re-test it, which means he is dismissing the PJ results as unreliable.

Right, so as I say. The PJ have co-operated and re-tested the sample. German Prosecutor is demanding to re-test it, which means he is dismissing the PJ results as unreliable.
That is correct (if I understand what you've said correctly), but the Portuguese are reluctant to send it to the German authorities to be retested.

Got to be more to the story. Is it maybe that PJ just ran an analysis based on the original DNA data collated in 2007? And that Germany want to re-analyse the original evidence using better techniques?

That is correct (if I understand what you've said correctly), but the Portuguese are reluctant to send it to the German authorities to be retested.[/QUOTE]

Yes exactly.

CB videotaped three rapes, according to witnesses who watched them (the burglars that entered his house while he was in jail/Germany).
A 75 y-old victim , an Italian speaking victim around 50 y-old, and ata young girl tied to a beam.
According to the Braunschweig court of justice, their testemony was credible.

Article in Portuguese: Suspeito do caso Maddie filmou violações de três mulheres

Got to be more to the story. Is it maybe that PJ just ran an analysis based on the original DNA data collated in 2007? And that Germany want to re-analyse the original evidence using better techniques?

I don't think so, the Sky news article ( which could be rubbish) says the German LE want to use the same methods.

CB videotaped three rapes, according to witnesses who watched them (the burglars that entered his house while he was in jail/Germany).
A 75 y-old victim , an Italian victim around 50 Italian speaking and a young girls tied to a beam.
According to the Braunschweig court of justice, their testemony was credible.

Article in Portuguese: Suspeito do caso Maddie filmou violações de três mulheres

I think the girl was 15 IIRC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member