Found Deceased Malaysia - Nora Quoirin, 15, from UK, special needs, missing on vacation, Seremban, 4 Aug 2019 #6

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
But did she really get that far? Wasn't it only a mile + from the house. And I can't recall but was the front door without a lock too?!

I wonder if outside the confines of her parents, if she wasn't more capable of navigating stairs and letting herself out than people (parents) gave her credit for.
True, it wasn't that far but it says the terrain is difficult. It certainly seems possible that she was more capable than her parents believed.

I think the weirdest thing about this case is how a 15-year-old special needs girl, with what was described as extensive mobility difficulties could've gone down the stairs and get out of the house either from the window or the door without making a sound. Weren't the parents sleeping downstairs? I honestly don't think any crime was commited by a stranger, I tend to not believe Nora wouldn't totally freak out if someone she didn't know tried to take her.
I'm not convinced about the mobility issues, she was said to be learning to ride a bicycle. And if she did find stairs challenging, she could have just gone down in a seated position.

It's true, she might not have been known to wander off in London, but she had just arrived in Malaysia, and that could have been very exciting and enticed her to act out of her normal caution. She had a learning disability, but that doesn't affect will power or physical functioning if there was something she really wanted to do.

Feet don't get cut up if you walk slowly and carefully, only if you run.

Police chief insists there is no evidence Nora Quoirin was abducted from Malaysian resort | Daily Mail Online

This article states that Nora did not have injuries on her feet. So it's even stranger that she got so far into the jungle.

I think this may be the first time we’ve had it confirmed that Nora’s feet were not injured that I can recall. We’ve wondered about that. So could that mean that Nora was carried away? Could she have been kept somewhere and not fed until “she had succumbed to intestinal bleeding from starvation and stress after spending a week in the rainforest” as the autopsy stated. Technically, that would not be foul play, but more of a passive murder...being allowed to die “naturally” from starvation. If her feet were not injured, she didn’t get to the stream where her body was found and lie down to die on her own.

If this is how it happened, and it wasn’t a kidnapping for ransom, who could have taken her (without raising an alarm) and for what purpose? They hadn’t been there long enough for anyone to befriend her and gain her trust. She wasn’t a tiny child left alone like Madeleine McCann. I think there is a lot of information we don’t have. I hope it comes out at the inquest.

@Satchie as I finished writing this post I saw yours which makes some very good points. I really wish the inquest would include testimony from people in London (besides her parents) who are aware of Nora’s abilities and limitations...teachers, doctors, physical therapists, etc. That way we’d know if she was capable of walking that far carefully, so her feet wouldn’t get cut up. Would she even have the ability to climb out the window, as LE seems to suggest?

As an aside, I will say that I don’t like the fact that her parents are suing the resort. There should have been no expectation of a secure environment, so it’s not a good look IMO.

For me my instinct says that in all probability its strange it happened on the very first night and my gut instinct is that because it was the first night it plays a part in the answer. Had it been further into the holiday I would have expected foul play. JMO. RIP Nora

For me my instinct says that in all probability its strange it happened on the very first night and my gut instinct is that because it was the first night it plays a part in the answer. Had it been further into the holiday I would have expected foul play. JMO. RIP Nora
I see your point however what if N did wander out and then someone else was involved after that? JMO IMO

I think some background information is necessary to assist with the inquest.

What was the primary reason for picking this particular place so far from home?

Had Nora been exposed to other similar type vacations so they knew how she would react or be able to do things?

Was Nora drawn to waterfalls on other family vacations?

It’s not the type of place I would call the trip of a lifetime - but perhaps they are heavy into nature, rainforest, hiking, etc.
JMO

Background info needed also to what some tabloids are saying as no 'serious' injury on N's feet to 'no injuries' at all.
I hope that the PM was thorough with supporting photographic evidence.
I find it difficult to think that N - shoe-less, would not have some foot injuries. The terrain - jungle, with thick undergrowth; bamboo stalks; sheer drops in places and N with learning difficulties, who as time wore on, would become disorientated and scrambling about. JMO IMO

I'm not convinced about the mobility issues, she was said to be learning to ride a bicycle. And if she did find stairs challenging, she could have just gone down in a seated position.

It's true, she might not have been known to wander off in London, but she had just arrived in Malaysia, and that could have been very exciting and enticed her to act out of her normal caution. She had a learning disability, but that doesn't affect will power or physical functioning if there was something she really wanted to do.

Feet don't get cut up if you walk slowly and carefully, only if you run.
I had a special needs boy in my class from first grade until 12th grade. He was just like any of us. He did have some separate classes with special ed teachers, but he had a good chunk of classes with us. He love Geography and even took tests, adapted to his level. He didn't have any mobility issues though, participated in PE like everyone else. I was in a English project with him and a few other girls, we made a "movie". He would tell him his lines and he would repeat it. He went on overnight field trips with us. He was one of us. So, whenever I come accross of cases of children with some sort of disabilities, I'm always reminded that special needs kids ARE normal kids, and when they reach puberty, most do things all teens do, and they behave the same way.
So yeah, Nora probably got excited and wanted to explore. It's just a shame that nobody noticed her leaving and that she wasn't found earlier. But this could've happened to any other 15-year-old sneaking out in the middle of the night.

Seorang saksi prosiding inkues bagi menentukan punca kematian remaja Ireland-Perancis Nora Anne Quoirin memberitahu Mahkamah Koroner Seremban remaja itu boleh berjalan seperti manusia normal semasa berada di Lapangan Terbang Antarabangsa Kuala Lumpur (KLIA).

A witness to the inquest proceedings to determine the cause of death of the Irish-French teenager Nora Anne Quoirin told the Seremban Coroner's Court that the teenager could walk like a normal human being while at the Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA).

3CF50BCA-0B7B-4607-8C03-0B0B75BD9715.jpeg

https://twitter.com/bernamatv/status/1298488939225862145?s=21

An inquest into the death of Nora Quoirin, who disappeared while on a family holiday in a Malaysian jungle a year ago, has begun today. The proceedings are available for public viewing via this YouTube link

#noraquoirininquest

038FFEC9-1164-4B29-8E84-CE2AE765A66B.jpeg

https://twitter.com/howardrjohnson/status/1297709048477802496?s=21

Coroner Maimoonah Aid says inquest is for "justice for everyone", reiterates it isn't a prosecution but an inquisitorial process to determine "when & where, how and... what manner" Nora died. Also the inquest will determine if any person is "criminally concerned" in Nora's death.

D2C53035-E10D-4CBA-BB40-2884884E7067.jpeg

https://twitter.com/howardrjohnson/status/1297719030338342912?s=21

First witness is local police chief Mohamad Mat Yusof. He was asked if his force accepted offer for help to find Nora from UK embassy.

Yusof: "I don’t know personally but the investigating team may have contacted them. But not technical help, we used our own technical resources."

D3101BBB-314F-4323-BCF6-9EB89A79CC1D.jpeg

https://twitter.com/howardrjohnson/status/1297735179302182912?s=21

Summary of day one of the Nora Quoirin inquest. The Quoirin family insist that they closed a villa window the night Nora went missing, in the morning it was wide open. The resort owner today said there was a fault that meant the window could be shut from inside but not locked.

(Video)

https://twitter.com/howardrjohnson/status/1297891294509821953?s=21

Nora Quoirin inquest day 3
: Police Superintendent Marzukee Besar said CCTV footage from Kuala Lumpur airport, screened in courtroom, showed Nora walking to pick-up area and based on this they made the assumption that it was possible for her "to go towards the mountain."

78E1E1A2-BEA5-4375-B38E-9E752F21F427.jpeg

https://twitter.com/howardrjohnson/status/1298475728644616193?s=21

Superintendent Besar tells inquest the last time the police searched the exact area where Nora Quoirin's body was eventually discovered, was 9 August. Context: Her body was found by a group of civilian search volunteers [four days later] on 13 August .

https://twitter.com/howardrjohnson/status/1298502192165318657?s=21

Attachments

• 5073835E-7160-4ABF-952B-97D71D3D0141.jpeg
    5073835E-7160-4ABF-952B-97D71D3D0141.jpeg
    54.1 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:

From the link, questioning of the police superintendent, discussing the video at the airport that showed Nora could walk normally. They viewed it on the 8th day. Please tell me if I’m reading this wrong. It appears that the parents misled (lied to?) the police about Nora’s capabilities? If so, I don’t like this at all. The search could have been in a wider area much sooner and she might have been found.

Quoting the link:

Deputy public prosecutor Muhamad Iskandar Ahmad: On the eighth day, did you not think to expand the scale of search?

Mohd Nor Marzukee: On the eighth day, in the afternoon we all re-grouped after obtaining the video taken from KLIA by the Criminal Investigation Department team that the missing person victim was seen to be able to walk like a normal person at that age.

Coroner Maimoonah: Video recorded at KLIA when the family arrived?

Mohd Nor Marzukee: Yes, (the) video at KLIA, she was waiting for someone to arrive, then she pulled the bag out of KLIA and it can be clearly seen she could walk like a normal person at the age of 15.

Coroner Maimoonah: As of the eighth day, the search was based on the information given by the family?

Mohd Nor Marzukee: Correct.

Mohd Nor Marzukee who was the operations commander in the search and rescue (SAR) mission said that when the video was shown, also present to witness it in a briefing room at the Pantai Police Station at 1.30 pm, on Aug 11, were the then Deputy Inspector-General of Police Datuk Mazlan Mansor, Negeri Sembilan police chief Datuk Mohamad Mat Yusop and Bukit Aman Criminal Investigation Department (CID) director Datuk Huzir Mohamed .
Inquest: CCTV footage shows Nora Anne can walk normally - Witness
BBM

Last edited:
I simply don’t understand why the family/parents insisted that Nora could not walk far without assistance.

More from another article:

The search-and-rescue operational area for Irish-French teen Nora Anne Quoirin was only expanded significantly at a later stage following revelations gleaned from surveillance camera footage taken at Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA), a district police chief revealed to the Coroner’s Court today.

...the footage obtained by personnel from the Criminal Investigations Department had shown she could walk unaided despite her physical disabilities.

He said this was contrary to the family’s initial disclosure to investigating officer Inspector Wan Faridah Mustanin that Quoirin could walk no more than 20 feet (six metres) without guided assistance from another person as she could not maintain her balance.

After viewing the footage repeatedly, Mohd Nor Marzukee said it was then decided that the search area was to be significantly expanded from between four and six sq km previously to a 20 sq km radius towards the nearby Gunung Berembun on the eighth day of Quoirin’s disappearance.
BBM

Nora Anne Quoirin inquest: Search area expanded after CCTV footage showed teen could walk unaided despite family’s claim | Malay Mail

Was it the parents who said she couldn’t walk far, or the charity who supported them? It’s been implied it was the parents, but they were being supported by the charity and could have been encouraged to say that or chosen to say it themselves to make her disappearance being voluntarily less likely.. It’s still a massive error and could have made a world of difference in hindsight to finding Nora.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Foothillbilly