Maricopa Jane Doe 1999 Thread #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
There isn't a day that goes by that I don't think about this poor girl. It really bothers me that she still doesn't have a name. Where is her family? Somebody has to be missing her some place. I have always thought she was pushed out of the car. Hopefully some day soon we will have the answers we need. The other people in the car know who she was but they are not saying! There is no statue of limitation on murder so you'd think one of them would come forward to make a deal before they get charged with her death.

There isn't a day that goes by that I don't think about this poor girl. It really bothers me that she still doesn't have a name. Where is her family? Somebody has to be missing her some place. I have always thought she was pushed out of the car. Hopefully some day soon we will have the answers we need. The other people in the car know who she was but they are not saying! There is no statue of limitation on murder so you'd think one of them would come forward to make a deal before they get charged with her death.

I understand how frustrating it is. I'm sure someone is missing her. Since Alonzo was already charged, I don't think they can charge him again with the same case, however I'm not entirely sure. Not much is said about LDJ's side of the story, so she may have very well been a victim herself. We will never know until one of them steps forward or if something is mentioned somewhere. Sometimes I feel like LE is satisfied with their answers. But sometimes I feel that LE is being tight-lipped about this case because they may have stumbled upon something but don't have the time-or means to solve the case. So, I have retired my efforts on trying to figure out what happened that day. Whether she jumped, fell or was pushed will not determine who she is.

I'm sure someone out there is missing her. That's why this case needs some publicity. There are so many reasons that she may not being identified other than she has nobody who cares about her or is wondering where she is. Maybe her mom was a single mother and was deceased. Maybe she was put in a foster home and ran away, although this theory probably doesn't stand true because I thought for sure they had to file missing persons reports.

I am getting a little personal here- but I for one did not come from a "super functional" family myself, so I can understand easily that sometimes families do grow apart. If she was picked up on Van Buren street, it wouldn't surprise me if she did come from "the wrong side of the tracks". A young, beautiful girl like her has no reason to be on that street- especially hanging around a liquor store where a bunch of perverts, alcoholics and druggies lurk about. I don't know, maybe it's just me, but I don't have any doubt in my mind that she was living a high risk lifestyle. I want so badly to sugarcoat it and believe that she was just a naive little girl that was in the wrong place at the wrong time, which may have VERY well been the case. I know it happens all the time. But I get the idea she got around a lot. I mean she had a tattoo, multiple piercings and dyed hair, it doesn't seem like she was sheltered very much. I don't think she woke up one morning and said, "I'm gonna dye my hair, pierce my bellybutton, get a tattoo and hang around a liquor store on Van Buren and jump in a car with a stranger!".. she was probably used to it. And if not one friend of hers has stepped forward to identify her, they were probably living the same kind of lifestyle themselves.

It really is difficult to believe nobody has stepped forward to ID her.. and I don't mean that in such a way that the many many other UID'd people shouldn't be ID'd too, it's just she has something about her that you can't forget. It almost haunts you. And she's so young. It's just not fathomable.

I understand how frustrating it is. I'm sure someone is missing her. Since Alonzo was already charged, I don't think they can charge him again with the same case, however I'm not entirely sure. Not much is said about LDJ's side of the story, so she may have very well been a victim herself. We will never know until one of them steps forward or if something is mentioned somewhere. Sometimes I feel like LE is satisfied with their answers. But sometimes I feel that LE is being tight-lipped about this case because they may have stumbled upon something but don't have the time-or means to solve the case. So, I have retired my efforts on trying to figure out what happened that day. Whether she jumped, fell or was pushed will not determine who she is.

I'm sure someone out there is missing her. That's why this case needs some publicity. There are so many reasons that she may not being identified other than she has nobody who cares about her or is wondering where she is. Maybe her mom was a single mother and was deceased. Maybe she was put in a foster home and ran away, although this theory probably doesn't stand true because I thought for sure they had to file missing persons reports.

I am getting a little personal here- but I for one did not come from a "super functional" family myself, so I can understand easily that sometimes families do grow apart. If she was picked up on Van Buren street, it wouldn't surprise me if she did come from "the wrong side of the tracks". A young, beautiful girl like her has no reason to be on that street- especially hanging around a liquor store where a bunch of perverts, alcoholics and druggies lurk about. I don't know, maybe it's just me, but I don't have any doubt in my mind that she was living a high risk lifestyle. I want so badly to sugarcoat it and believe that she was just a naive little girl that was in the wrong place at the wrong time, which may have VERY well been the case. I know it happens all the time. But I get the idea she got around a lot. I mean she had a tattoo, multiple piercings and dyed hair, it doesn't seem like she was sheltered very much. I don't think she woke up one morning and said, "I'm gonna dye my hair, pierce my bellybutton, get a tattoo and hang around a liquor store on Van Buren and jump in a car with a stranger!".. she was probably used to it. And if not one friend of hers has stepped forward to identify her, they were probably living the same kind of lifestyle themselves.

It really is difficult to believe nobody has stepped forward to ID her.. and I don't mean that in such a way that the many many other UID'd people shouldn't be ID'd too, it's just she has something about her that you can't forget. It almost haunts you. And she's so young. It's just not fathomable.

I've thought much of the same, although I am not convinced she came from the wrong side of the tracks. If she was, why wouldn't someone have reported her missing? My thoughts, she had started experimenting with drugs having easier access to them being in an environment the kids had easier access to pay for them. When I was in HS, it always seemed the kids who lived in the ritzier neighborhoods with access to parents cars, cars for 16th birthday presents, private schools, were doing way more drugs than us average middle classers were. And more than just marijuana. They had access to some of the heavier stuff the average teen could not afford. At some point her "use" was beyond the recreational use typical of teenagers and once it went beyond recreational use she lost many of her friends/peers. At some point her family gave her the choice to get clean or get out. Probably after several attempts to get her to stay clean, stop skipping school or whatever other issues they were having at the time. She chose not to and left. Now, the friends she may have known before she was an addict, and her family think she left and have no idea.

She's an extremely beautiful girl, and imo, someone as pretty as she was could easily meet someone who cared for her and dealt with her addiction until she was ready to get clean. Perhaps that is what her family currently believes. Noting her beauty, some of the composites that have been posted are a spitting image for a former coworker from the 90's who at the time qualified for Miss Teen Illinois. The ages are off, as my coworker would have been at least 20 in 1996...

AZ/Phoenix has also had a long standing reputation as the place for evaders. Over a 20 yr span in my younger days, from 81 through the late 90's, Phoenix had a reputation for the place everyone went to get away from trouble. It was known as the place to go when a drivers license was suspended for a year or Child support enforcement was looking for you. It just had that rep. Texas had it before AZ, but TX as I recall, seemed to lose that rep as they toughened up on interstate crime long before AZ did. Of course those recollections go back to men being in some kind of trouble, not women. It may too have had that rep for women. If it did, it is quite possible she ran from another warm climate to the Phoenix area.

I've thought much of the same, although I am not convinced she came from the wrong side of the tracks. If she was, why wouldn't someone have reported her missing? My thoughts, she had started experimenting with drugs having easier access to them being in an environment the kids had easier access to pay for them. When I was in HS, it always seemed the kids who lived in the ritzier neighborhoods with access to parents cars, cars for 16th birthday presents, private schools, were doing way more drugs than us average middle classers were. And more than just marijuana. They had access to some of the heavier stuff the average teen could not afford. At some point her "use" was beyond the recreational use typical of teenagers and once it went beyond recreational use she lost many of her friends/peers. At some point her family gave her the choice to get clean or get out. Probably after several attempts to get her to stay clean, stop skipping school or whatever other issues they were having at the time. She chose not to and left. Now, the friends she may have known before she was an addict, and her family think she left and have no idea.

She's an extremely beautiful girl, and imo, someone as pretty as she was could easily meet someone who cared for her and dealt with her addiction until she was ready to get clean. Perhaps that is what her family currently believes. Noting her beauty, some of the composites that have been posted are a spitting image for a former coworker from the 90's who at the time qualified for Miss Teen Illinois. The ages are off, as my coworker would have been at least 20 in 1996...

AZ/Phoenix has also had a long standing reputation as the place for evaders. Over a 20 yr span in my younger days, from 81 through the late 90's, Phoenix had a reputation for the place everyone went to get away from trouble. It was known as the place to go when a drivers license was suspended for a year or Child support enforcement was looking for you. It just had that rep. Texas had it before AZ, but TX as I recall, seemed to lose that rep as they toughened up on interstate crime long before AZ did. Of course those recollections go back to men being in some kind of trouble, not women. It may too have had that rep for women. If it did, it is quite possible she ran from another warm climate to the Phoenix area.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts, Cubby. And you're right, there is a chance that she may have been from a "wealthier" or at least middle class family who gave her a choice. But if she was, wouldn't her family pay a lot of money to find her? Get her in the media to get a lot of attention on her case?

In my time living in Phoenix, it wasn't an uncommon thing for me to meet people who didn't live an idyllic lifestyle. After all, Phoenix.. and even the state of Arizona itself had the highest divorce AND teen pregnancy rates in the nation. Hell, my parents divorced there. I don't think I had any friends there who's parents were still married. Not that it matters so much in her case, I am just making a point that it's not a rare thing to see families struggle with each other, no matter where you are in the country, I'm sure.

If her toxicology report states she had a lot of drugs in her system, our theories of her lifestyle might be right, but until then I don't want to just assume she was a heavy user. I know that meth was also a very very very popular drug in Phoenix. So that has crossed my mind a few times. Not uncommon for kids to get into it, either. It's cheap. It's readily available. It can be cooked out of chemicals that are easy to get a hold of. It's highly addicting. If she was into heavier drugs such as heroin, meth or what have you.. it may have been hard for the ME to tell anyway, because newer younger users don't always use it intravenously, so needle markings on the arms may not be present. They can also be snorted, swallowed and smoked.

I guess we'll just have to wait until that tox report comes through, although we are only interested in seeing if it contains PCP, many other drugs can contribute to that kind of behavior, too. Even withdrawal!

This would thrill me to death if we (well, you guys, I'm just a lurker) could figure out who she is! Any idea on how long it will take to get the tox and police reports? I don't know what it it is, but there is something about her. Like it shouldn't be that hard to figure out her identity, but obviously so far, it is! Great work so far WSers!

I'm just not 100% sure MJD was a prostitute. We really only have Alonzo's word that he picked her up where he said he did and, if his story has any truth to it at all, even Lindsey wouldn't know the truth about that. From what we know of Alonzo, he couldn't exactly be considered a credible source.

OTOH, it's difficult to understand why she would have been in such a vulnerable position as to have been in this situation and why no one has claimed her. Vashley - you make a great point in saying that not all families are perfect and there may be a more disturbing reason no one has come forward for MJD. Or maybe she truly had no one. I so hope that's not the case here. And even if she had no family, there has to be someone who knew her in her short life.

I'm looking forward to seeing the ME's report and hope it provides us with the key to solving little MJD's identity.

I'm just not 100% sure MJD was a prostitute. We really only have Alonzo's word that he picked her up where he said he did and, if his story has any truth to it at all, even Lindsey wouldn't know the truth about that. From what we know of Alonzo, he couldn't exactly be considered a credible source.

OTOH, it's difficult to understand why she would have been in such a vulnerable position as to have been in this situation and why no one has claimed her. Vashley - you make a great point in saying that not all families are perfect and there may be a more disturbing reason no one has come forward for MJD. Or maybe she truly had no one. I so hope that's not the case here. And even if she had no family, there has to be someone who knew her in her short life.

I'm looking forward to seeing the ME's report and hope it provides us with the key to solving little MJD's identity.

Thank you, Fairy1. I definitely hope SOMETHING comes up in a report that gives us a substantial clue.

It frustrates me SOOOO SOOOO much that her clothing items are not listed anywhere! I am hoping that maybe the police report lists them, however I don't think that's a required field. If her clothing items were stated it would explain a lot of things.. let me expand..

Prostitute- Revealing clothing, possibly a halter top, mini skirt, high heels..

Runaway- In the 90's, I'd imagine grungy type apparel.. such as flannel, ripped jeans, converse shoes, band shirts, etc. Maybe skater brand stuff, like Vans. If she had been a runaway for a while, the clothes may be tinged with dirt and debris, be "musky" or otherwise unclean, unless she brought a lot of changes of clothes.

In the 90's it was popular for high school girls to get their navels pierced and wear belly shirts, if she was "trendy" I'd imagine she wore something along the lines of what I listed, and probably went SOMEWHERE, such as school to be updated on fashion!

It was January, and believe it or not it does get cold in the desert! Wouldn't she have a hoodie/sweatshirt/jacket?

Was her clothing expensive? Used? Knock-off brand?..

You can tell a lot about a person from their clothing and I think if we found out it could unlock a lot about what we don't know about her..

Just my thoughts..

This would thrill me to death if we (well, you guys, I'm just a lurker) could figure out who she is! Any idea on how long it will take to get the tox and police reports? I don't know what it it is, but there is something about her. Like it shouldn't be that hard to figure out her identity, but obviously so far, it is! Great work so far WSers!

I'm still waiting for the app!

I started to fret a bit today because I still hadn't heard back from contact at paper about story on WS/MJD.

I made contact again and got an autoreply, phew.

I am currently out of the office. If you are looking to contact someone regarding aSpecial Projects, Consumer or Investigative Story while I am out please contact Senior Executive Producer Susan D'Astoli at sdastoli@abc15.com. She will be able to put you in touch with the correct staff member.

Thank you,
Jodie Heisner
Special Projects/Investigative Producer

I started to fret a bit today because I still hadn't heard back from contact at paper about story on WS/MJD.

I made contact again and got an autoreply, phew.

I am currently out of the office. If you are looking to contact someone regarding aSpecial Projects, Consumer or Investigative Story while I am out please contact Senior Executive Producer Susan D'Astoli at sdastoli@abc15.com. She will be able to put you in touch with the correct staff member.

Thank you,
Jodie Heisner
Special Projects/Investigative Producer

Did you contact Ms. D'Astoli?

Did you contact Ms. D'Astoli?

No I didn't. I will wait for the reporter who is doing the story to get back to me. It is a holiday week and she prolly is out on vaca or on assignment. Her last email to me indicated the story was a go and she was looking forward to working with us. I think it's just a short/crazy week for all and she will hook back up with us next week. If I don't hear from her by Monday..I'll call and nag :D

I am thrilled to bits about this story!
This story just keeps getting better & better:

I just got a call from a detective with the Gila Valley PD. They were contacted by the Pinal County Sheriff's Dept. after I requested the police reports. They are working with them on this, since it happened in their area. He was very friendly and told me quite a bit more about this story. They seem to have info that suggests maybe she's from the Mojave County area, so they're looking at missing girls from that area. Also, they're going to check old juvenile records too, which aren't on computer yet.

He also mentioned Lindsey Dejong is in the Spokane area. She thinks the girl may have mentioned her name as Carla or Cory or something like that, but couldn't remember anything else at all.

Good ole Alonzo apparently is an illegal alien, and skipped bail after he was charged with (& conviceted of ) leaving the scene of an accident, but it's possible he was deported to Brazil:eek: a couple of years ago.

They are also trying to get the story on America's Most Wanted!

So... that's today's story in a nutshell... :woohoo:

This story just keeps getting better & better:

I just got a call from a detective with the Gila Valley PD. They were contacted by the Pinal County Sheriff's Dept. after I requested the police reports. They are working with them on this, since it happened in their area. He was very friendly and told me quite a bit more about this story. They seem to have info that suggests maybe she's from the Mojave County area, so they're looking at missing girls from that area. Also, they're going to check old juvenile records too, which aren't on computer yet.

He also mentioned Lindsey Dejong is in the Spokane area. She thinks the girl may have mentioned her name as Carla or Cory or something like that, but couldn't remember anything else at all.

Good ole Alonzo apparently is an illegal alien, and skipped bail after he was charged with (& conviceted of ) leaving the scene of an accident, but it's possible he was deported to Brazil:eek: a couple of years ago.

They are also trying to get the story on America's Most Wanted!

So... that's today's story in a nutshell... :woohoo:

OMG!!!! That's GREAT INFO!!!!!!!!!!!!! Such a great amount!!! Thank you so much! You got way more info than I did although I am still waiting on app.

WOOHOO!!!! :blowkiss:

Vashley - do you have to fill out an app to be sent the police report as well?

If so, maybe we could coordinate what would put on the apps, so that we come across as an organized group? What do you think?

I know someone who is in Mojave County.. Kingman, AZ..

Should I ask if she knows anything about a missing girl?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pacobasal