MD - Freddie Gray dies in police custody #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This article was linked earlier. Just wanted to share some things from it.

"As one officer played Gray's role, lying face down on the floor, the other bent his crossed legs back toward his head. Watching closely were members of the police task force investigating Gray's death, and Dr. David L. Higgins, a Maryland orthopedic surgeon who has worked with the U.S. Olympic team.
Higgins had already reviewed*cellphone video*showing the 25-year-old's arrest in West Baltimore, including scenes with him yelling in pain or protest as officers dragged him to a transport van. Now, Higgins was asked what injuries a person could suffer in such a leg hold.
"From that maneuver, even if you slammed him or dropped him like a wrestling move, you still won't have a neurological injury," said Higgins, continuing to explain in more detail."

"Officers assigned to the task force had been working for two weeks to complete an investigation that might otherwise have taken months. They canvassed West Baltimore for witnesses and mapped out the locations of security camera footage. To recreate Gray's*45-minute ride in a police van, plainclothes officers rolled a $250,000 laser imaging system on a tripod down potholed roads and cracked sidewalks, ready to tell residents who questioned them that they were city surveyors."

"Task force members continued to investigate all possibilities even though they felt confident that Gray had suffered a "catastrophic injury" while being taken from the arrest at Gilmor Homes to the Western District police station. They discovered that the van's video camera was broken and that one of the officers during the transport said Gray had "jailitis" — a faked illness — when he complained about his condition."

"Last Sunday, at the spot Gray had been arrested, a makeshift memorial included a sign that said "[Expletive] the Police. I would kill all 6 of u *****es."

"Wisner, who is not a sworn officer, was tasked with creating detailed multi-dimensional maps that would show the route and terrain. His job was to painstakingly stitch the maps together until the van's path was recreated — a process that was only partially completed by the time Mosby announced the charges."

"They stood motionless as Mosby began speaking. A lieutenant wearing a suit and bow tie rested his left hand on a leather chair; Green stood in uniform against the wall, hands behind his back. As Mosby read off*the charges*— including second-degree depraved-heart murder, the most serious, against Goodson — stunned looks crossed their faces.

They had not expected the state's attorney's office to act so soon."

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/ma...gray-investigation-20150502-story.html#page=2

Wasn't Freddie aware after so many priors that running from the police, especially bike cops and if doing nothing illegal, was foolish? Any indication he was mentally challenged to the point of not knowing right from wrong?

It bothers me greatly if there was a rush to judgement that the truth will never be known. And I speak for both sides. Politics nor race should enter into the fact finding. Grrrrrrr

Good Evening everyone,

Please remember the topic of this thread is, "Criminal investigation launched after Baltimore man dies in police custody #2"

Let's please keep on topic OK?

Thank you,
Tricia

This article was linked earlier. Just wanted to share some things from it.

"As one officer played Gray's role, lying face down on the floor, the other bent his crossed legs back toward his head. Watching closely were members of the police task force investigating Gray's death, and Dr. David L. Higgins, a Maryland orthopedic surgeon who has worked with the U.S. Olympic team.
Higgins had already reviewed*cellphone video*showing the 25-year-old's arrest in West Baltimore, including scenes with him yelling in pain or protest as officers dragged him to a transport van. Now, Higgins was asked what injuries a person could suffer in such a leg hold.
"From that maneuver, even if you slammed him or dropped him like a wrestling move, you still won't have a neurological injury," said Higgins, continuing to explain in more detail."

"Officers assigned to the task force had been working for two weeks to complete an investigation that might otherwise have taken months. They canvassed West Baltimore for witnesses and mapped out the locations of security camera footage. To recreate Gray's*45-minute ride in a police van, plainclothes officers rolled a $250,000 laser imaging system on a tripod down potholed roads and cracked sidewalks, ready to tell residents who questioned them that they were city surveyors."

"Task force members continued to investigate all possibilities even though they felt confident that Gray had suffered a "catastrophic injury" while being taken from the arrest at Gilmor Homes to the Western District police station. They discovered that the van's video camera was broken and that one of the officers during the transport said Gray had "jailitis" — a faked illness — when he complained about his condition."

"Last Sunday, at the spot Gray had been arrested, a makeshift memorial included a sign that said "[Expletive] the Police. I would kill all 6 of u *****es."

"Wisner, who is not a sworn officer, was tasked with creating detailed multi-dimensional maps that would show the route and terrain. His job was to painstakingly stitch the maps together until the van's path was recreated — a process that was only partially completed by the time Mosby announced the charges."

"They stood motionless as Mosby began speaking. A lieutenant wearing a suit and bow tie rested his left hand on a leather chair; Green stood in uniform against the wall, hands behind his back. As Mosby read off*the charges*— including second-degree depraved-heart murder, the most serious, against Goodson — stunned looks crossed their faces.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/ma...gray-investigation-20150502-story.html#page=2

Continuing that article:

"As Mosby read off the charges — including second-degree depraved-heart murder, the most serious, against Goodson — stunned looks crossed their faces.They had not expected the state's attorney's office to act so soon. Later on Friday, Mosby said the charges were the result of prosecutors working 12- and 14-hour days alongside police investigators. She also said prosecutors had been working on a "parallel investigation" that included using city sheriff's deputies."

Sounds like the stunned LE "task force" was separate from Mosby's "parallel investigation" ... and was perhaps unaware of it.

This article was linked earlier.

I found this article, especially the part of the mapping of all of the areas where the van travelled, very enlightening about the SA's process in investigating this incident. The sheer number of resources she accessed and ways that they took apart this 45 minute time frame was eye-opening and made me feel good about the work done on the inside. Rarely do we get to know what situations, actions, and data impact the charges that are brought. I would love to see the internal process in the Tammy Meyer, AJ Hadsell and William Tyrell cases when the time is right. The behind the scenes work was intriguing enough that I might want to be an investigator.

FWIW: org chart of BPD.
Anyone know if Police Commissioner - Anthony Batts - is appointed? By Mayor? Or a Board?

Interesting point on the chart:
Chain of Command Line does not link PC to all Deputy PC's.
It does for most, but not for Dep PC for Professional Standards & Accountability Bureau.
Shows Jerry Rodriguez in that slot, over Internal Affairs, Internal Oversight, Best Practices, etc.
So who does that Dep. PC report to?

http://www.baltimorepolice.org/organizational-chart dtd Mar 30, 2015

Locals- is this just a glitch in the chart?

ETA:
The 2013 org chart on page 18 of Nov 2013 "Public Safety in the City of Baltimore A Strategic Plan for Improvement"
appears to show Dep PC for PSAB reporting to the PC. I wonder what changed? DOJ involvement?
(link: http://www.baltimorepolice.org/news posted on BPD site Feb 2014)

Brian Entin ‏@BrianEntin 2m2 minutes ago
I can't spot one protestor at the corner of Penn and North in #Baltimore. What a difference from even this afternoon. @WPTV @ABC2NEWS

I found this article, especially the part of the mapping of all of the areas where the van travelled, very enlightening about the SA's process in investigating this incident. The sheer number of resources she accessed and ways that they took apart this 45 minute time frame was eye-opening and made me feel good about the work done on the inside. Rarely do we get to know what situations, actions, and data impact the charges that are brought. I would love to see the internal process in the Tammy Meyer, AJ Hadsell and William Tyrell cases when the time is right. The behind the scenes work was intriguing enough that I might want to be an investigator.

All six of them didn't inform their own dept of that one stop. They will have problems with that should this go to trial. One forgetting is believable, even two, but not all six. imo

All six of them didn't inform their own dept of that one stop. They will have problems with that should this go to trial. One forgetting is believable, even two, but not all six. imo

I am looking for the article where the driver's family state that the driver is aware of recordings of him asking others for help in providing aid to FG. Let me go look. If there is a recording, surely, the second (mystery) stop would have been identifiable as well.

ETA: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ng-protocol-fears-wife-children-attacked.html

I don't think all 6 knew about the mystery stop. They were not with the van when the driver made the stop. The only one, IMO, who left out the stop was the van driver. In some article somewhere in this thread, it was said that the van driver was the only one who didn't give a statement.

‘If you snitch, your career is done’: Former Baltimore cop says he was harassed, labeled a 'rat' after attempt to root out police brutality

Before he became public enemy No. 1 inside the Baltimore Police Department, Det. Joseph Crystal was considered one of its rising stars.

The son of two NYPD cops, Crystal was put in charge of his police academy cadet class on day one.

He was promoted to detective before he reached his second year on the force.

And he went on to lead his violent crime unit in gun arrests, racking up high-profile collars that made the evening news.

<snip>

His crime? He reported a case of police brutality.

Crystal drew the ire of his department after coming forward to report the 2011 beating of a drug suspect by a fellow officer. Crystal&#8217;s subsequent trial testimony helped secure convictions against the cop who carried out the beating and the sergeant who helped facilitate it.

Crystal says the pattern of abuse that followed led him to resign from the job he loved.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/cri...-rat-police-brutality-claim-article-1.2077632

FWIW: org chart of BPD.
Anyone know if Police Commissioner - Anthony Batts - is appointed? By Mayor? Or a Board?

I read that the PC is "appointed by the Mayor with the consent of the Council"

I don't think all 6 knew about the mystery stop. They were not with the van when the driver made the stop. The only one, IMO, who left out the stop was the van driver. In some article somewhere in this thread, it was said that the van driver was the only one who didn't give a statement.

Oh thank you. I know he called the arresting officers and maybe the lone female officer to that stop. I want to know why that wasn't logged by however many were there. I should google before I post. (blush)

My understanding is that the only one that would know about the extra stop is the driver. He has not given his statement which is within his legal rights. As far as I know the other five did not follow him along the whole route. So I don't understand how any of them has been untruthful.

I'm confused, I thought the article was about the police task force that was preparing its report while the SA supposedly did her own research, ie not was reported on in this article. But I could just be confused, its a natural state of affairs...

&#8216;If you snitch, your career is done&#8217;: Former Baltimore cop says he was harassed, labeled a 'rat' after attempt to root out police brutality

Before he became public enemy No. 1 inside the Baltimore Police Department, Det. Joseph Crystal was considered one of its rising stars.

The son of two NYPD cops, Crystal was put in charge of his police academy cadet class on day one.

He was promoted to detective before he reached his second year on the force.

And he went on to lead his violent crime unit in gun arrests, racking up high-profile collars that made the evening news.

<snip>

His crime? He reported a case of police brutality.

Crystal drew the ire of his department after coming forward to report the 2011 beating of a drug suspect by a fellow officer. Crystal&#8217;s subsequent trial testimony helped secure convictions against the cop who carried out the beating and the sergeant who helped facilitate it.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/cri...-rat-police-brutality-claim-article-1.2077632

Wow. Snitches.... isn't just a gang motto. :(

very interesting . . . from your link

Furthermore, while the Second Circuit has not specifically dealt with the issue of seatbelts in state or municipal vehicles, two other Courts of Appeals have held that a municipality's decision not to provide prisoners with seatbelts does not violate prisoners' federal rights. The Eighth Circuit has held that a municipality's "decision to use patrol wagons without seatbelts" was lawful, since it was based on the legitimate penological concern that detained "individuals transported in the wagon, even those who were handcuffed, could use the seatbelt as a weapon to harm an officer, other passengers being transported in the wagon, or even themselves." Spencer v. Knapheide Truck Equip. Co., 183 F.3d 902, 907 (8th Cir.1999). The Tenth Circuit
[324 F.Supp.2d 438]
has noted that "a failure to seatbelt does not, of itself, expose an inmate to risks of constitutional dimension" because the "eventuality of an accident is not hastened or avoided by whether an inmate is seatbelted." Dexter v. Ford Motor Co., 92 Fed.Appx. 637, 641 (10th Cir.2004) (unpublished opinion).

Plaintiff tries to bolster his claim by noting that New York State law requires seatbelts on busses. While this may help his tort claim against the City in State court, it is irrelevant to whether denial of seatbelts to prisoners violates prisoners' constitutional or federal rights. Accordingly, this claim against the City is dismissed.

You'd think that Mosby would have been made aware of this.

My understanding is that the only one that would know about the extra stop is the driver. He has not given his statement which is within his legal rights. As far as I know the other five did not follow him along the whole route. So I don't understand how any of them has been untruthful.

I find it hinky that the police dept investigators didn't have any idea from the arrest reports or call logs of that stop. Pretty sure the driver wasn't alone during that one. Let me check.

I wonder how many people will now be claiming LE abuse after the millions of dollars paid out in suits. Even when there was no abuse. Something is seriously wrong with the political leaders in Baltimore. This is a mess. Who would want to insure any business even willing to open up shop there, when property is not protected for political reasons. I feel for the hard working, law abiding citizens that are trapped there.

BBM

Unless an arrestee has evidence of abuse, then I doubt that person would have any valid claim of police abuse.

I, too, feel for the hard-working, law abiding citizens of Baltimore & elsewhere (and have posted such in the protest threads).

At the same time, I'm not without compassion for FG (despite his criminal background). I detest drug dealers. Nevertheless, he didn't deserve to be subjected to treatment after his arrest that allegedly led to his fatal injuries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
angelicamcolon