Found Deceased MD - Rachel Morin, 37, left for walk on Ma & Pa Trail 6pm, car found at Williams St entrance, Bel Air, 5 Aug 2023 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

''Harford County Sheriff Jeff Gahler Thursday evening dismissed social media posts claiming to have identified Rachel Morin’s killer.
Morin, a 37-year-old mother of five, went missing around 6 p.m., Aug. 5 at the Ma and Pa Heritage Trail in Bel Air. Her body was discovered there the next day in what the Harford County Sheriff’s Office has described as “a violent attack.”
Gahler said so far the department has received nearly 600 tips.''

SEP 7, 2023
[...]

Gahler said people had questions about the video. Some of them were interested in an arm that appears to close the door of the Los Angeles home that the suspected killer is seen exiting in the video.

"I hear this question numerous times a day, and I can tell you we have identified the person connected to the infamous arm that appears in the surveillance footage from Los Angeles," he said. "And after speaking to that individual, we are confident that they played no role in the commission of any crime."

Investigators have seen an influx in tips over the course of the investigation. To date, they have received "nearly 600 tips so far from community members and some of those from as far away as Australia, England, and Canada," Gahler said.

That's double the number of tips that investigators said they had received just a few weeks ago.

[...]
BBM. This statement seems so odd to me, because in all the discussion groups I have been in about the case, I haven't seen anyone suggest that the arm belonged to an accomplice, or someone involved in the 'commission of a crime'. I have always thought the arm was the victim's or the person that actually called 911, and I still do.

BBM. This statement seems so odd to me, because in all the discussion groups I have been in about the case, I haven't seen anyone suggest that the arm belonged to an accomplice, or someone involved in the 'commission of a crime'. I have always thought the arm was the victim's or the person that actually called 911, and I still do.
This exactly! I think it was said this way to either protect the victim or that is not the actual victims hand but someone who was potentially at the scene with ties to the victim.
either way i feel like this will only cause further speculation…

<snipped by me>

Darn, he might be under Pablo Garcia in Codis and under Pablo Acosta anywhere else. And what if he, as many Catholics, has two first names?

And now - we need someone from Mexico + Central + South America to explain what happens there. I suspect the same.
BBM. The problem is, there is NO name attached to the DNA, be it first, middle, second middle, or last name.

This exactly! I think it was said this way to either protect the victim or that is not the actual victims hand but someone who was potentially at the scene with ties to the victim.
either way i feel like this will only cause further speculation…
'Further speculation' is exactly right! Every time LE speaks about this case, I come away with more questions than answers.

LAPD Capt. Kelly Muniz said the video comes from a March 26 “hot prowler” burglary in South L.A., which means he burglarized an occupied home. Muniz said a person was assaulted in that incident, but it was not a sexual assault. Hartford County sheriff’s officials said the assault victim was a minor. LAPD collected DNA during the burglary investigation.

This was mentioned upthread many times. Many people have commented they think the arm is an accomplice.

This was mentioned upthread many times. Many people have commented they think the arm is an accomplice.
Okay thanks. I hadn't seen that, but the 'accomplice' sure looks pissed off when they slammed the door, IMO, so I am not sure where that theory came from. Edited to add: hopefully the Sheriff was able to put that theory that I don't remember ever seeing to bed.

Last edited:
LAPD Capt. Kelly Muniz said the video comes from a March 26 “hot prowler” burglary in South L.A., which means he burglarized an occupied home. Muniz said a person was assaulted in that incident, but it was not a sexual assault. Hartford County sheriff’s officials said the assault victim was a minor. LAPD collected DNA during the burglary investigation.

Adding comments from the Facebook Case Update posted upstream-
  • Suspect burglarized an occupied home
  • There was an assault, but not sexual in nature
  • Assault victim was a minor
  • LAPD collected DNA during the investigation
  • There is no video of the suspect entering the home
  • The arm shown in the video - LE has identified the person, they have no involvement in the crime
This doesn't get us any closer to answers, only more questions IMO.
  • Pretty ballsy to enter an occupied home.
  • What was taken in the burglary?
  • Why assault a minor, was he/she home alone? Am I imagining that at some point early on, LE said the minor was a female?
  • If there was no video of his entry, could the DNA be from an injury obtained while breaking in?
  • Sheriff's comment on the arm is as clear as mud - still no idea if that is the victim or another person slamming the door.

BBM. The problem is, there is NO name attached to the DNA, be it first, middle, second middle, or last name.

You know, I am under an impression that I totally misheard RM's brother. Did he say, "we have a name", or "we don't have a name"? Sorry I might be posting wrong things.

I believe this is a lie, or at least fancy wording. IMO No evidence.

I think this guy was allowed into the house and had sexual contact with a minor. Maybe also was given or stole something from the house. The adults reported him.

Why don't we have video of him entering the house? How did he gain entry?

I think this guy was allowed into the house and had sexual contact with a minor. Maybe also was given or stole something from the house. The adults reported him.

If he broke in by a back window or door, he may not have been in view of any video. The fact that the home was occupied when he broke in is why LE labeled it as a “hot Prowl” or home invasion as opposed to a B&E of an unoccupied house.

At the door, with a curved back leaning forward to the person, who closed the door from inside (arm of the person didn't look like a man's strong arm), the only thing missing was, that he kissed the person goodbye. :oops: So my personal feeling, when I viewed the surveillance video.
ETA: Just like a lover, who says goodbye quietly and secretly.
I thought that also.

Just to interject here, California's definition of Burglary is fairly encompassing.

Entering an inhabited dwelling with the intent to commit a felony constitutes burglary, whether breaking & entering occurred or not.

Example : Entering a grocery store in an attempt to "wash" fake cash (buying items with fake money), can be tried as burglary in CA.

Last edited:
Just to interject here, California's definition of Burglary is fairly encompassing.

Entering an inhabited dwelling with the intent to commit a felony constitutes burglary, whether breaking & entering occurred or not.

Example : Entering a grocery store in an attempt to "wash" fake cash (buying items with fake money), can be tried as burglary in CA.

Furthermore, most people are already aware of this, but Assault is not Battery.

Here's the simplest way I was taught it during training :
An example of an Assault would be attempting to punch an individual, but missing.
An example of a Battery would be actually landing a punch against an individual.

But, wouldn’t we have a name.

Here are the various burglary/home invasion laws broken down by a CA law Firm:

SEP 8, 2023
[...]

Gahler said in the update video that they have collected and watched hours of video footage from around the trail including both videos recovered from homes residences and businesses in the Bel Air area.

[...]

The sheriff said the digital forensic unit has reviewed phones, texts, phone calls, and cell phone locations and data. Detectives have traveled across the country and have logged countless hours of interviews, deputies and investigators have canvassed areas related to her death multiple times searching for additional witnesses and evidence, and investigators have reviewed the results of her autopsy.

[...]

"We are still receiving the results of technological and scientific evidence and following up on new leads. There is still work to be done and I have not given up hope. My investigators have not given up hope that we will find the killer and neither should you," Gahler said.

[...]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member