GUILTY MI - 4 students killed, 6 injured, Oxford High School shooting, 30 Nov 2021 *Arrest incl parents* *teen guilty* #4

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I posted in the comments.
If you are talking about posting in the comments section of the Detroit News, unfortunately
I am unable to comment -- for some strange reason when I try to comment ( both with my
Tablet and my desk top) I get a message that tells me " network error----refresh your page and try again." This has gone on For years--- I am a subscriber. If I could have left a comment I would have done that. I am able to comment at the Det Free Press

And here we go. Interesting article.

"The factual evidence is so devastating, gruesome, and appalling that its admission would certainly inflame the passions of a jury," Jennifer Crumbley's lawyer, Shannon Smith, argues in a Tuesday filing, maintaining the details of the shooting itself should stay out of her client's trial.

That's because, Smith argues, what went on inside the school that day has nothing to do with the elements of the crime that the mother is accused of.

Lots more at link.

And here we go. Interesting article.

"The factual evidence is so devastating, gruesome, and appalling that its admission would certainly inflame the passions of a jury," Jennifer Crumbley's lawyer, Shannon Smith, argues in a Tuesday filing, maintaining the details of the shooting itself should stay out of her client's trial.

That's because, Smith argues, what went on inside the school that day has nothing to do with the elements of the crime that the mother is accused of.

Lots more at link.
Powerful, horrifying article, too.
What do people think? Do the details of the shooting have to do with the elements his parents are accused of? Are the details prejudicial?

Checked this thread and found this article you linked....and wow! Thanks @MrsWatson

@ChatteringBirds this is an excellent question. 2 good questions.

1.) Prejudicial?
2.) Is her lawyer right - the mom's case is about what happened before the shooting, not during or after?

Jail and prison really age people and they get pale from minimal if any sun, vitamin/mineral deficiencies from cheap food, weight loss from bad food and no money for commissary, weight gain because the meals and commissary snacks are carb heavy, lack of normal exercise like walking, waiting too long for medical care, difficulties getting prescriptions, minimal OTC drug selection, lack of skin care and hair care items etc...Opinion

Jennifer Crumbley - February 2022
1704344939180.png
1704347045795.png

Jennifer Crumbley - December 2023 (photo from linked article)
1704345189155.png

Photo Links

Last edited:
Checked this thread and found this article you linked....and wow! Thanks @MrsWatson

@ChatteringBirds this is an excellent question. 2 good questions.

1.) Prejudicial?
2.) Is her lawyer right - the mom's case is about what happened before the shooting, not during or after?

Jail and prison really age people and they get pale from minimal if any sun, vitamin/mineral deficiencies from cheap food, weight loss from bad food and no money for commissary, weight gain because the meals and commissary snacks are carb heavy, lack of normal exercise like walking, waiting too long for medical care, difficulties getting prescriptions, minimal OTC drug selection, lack of skin care and hair care items etc...Opinion

Jennifer Crumbley - February 2022
View attachment 472028
View attachment 472036

Jennifer Crumbley - December 2023 (photo from linked article)
View attachment 472030

Photo Links
My opinion doesn't matter, but....as a former school administrator, I am so disgusted by these parents' behaviors and lack of responsibility for their son. They are without remorse and accountability. I would hope they would be charged and convicted as Ethan was. Not for revenge, but for public safety. No rehab possible, IMHO MOO.

My opinion doesn't matter, but....as a former school administrator, I am so disgusted by these parents' behaviors and lack of responsibility for their son. They are without remorse and accountability. I would hope they would be charged and convicted as Ethan was. Not for revenge, but for public safety. No rehab possible, IMHO MOO.

1.) They bought the gun for him.

2.) They gave him 24/7 access to the gun by not securing it or even hiding it.

3.) At school they saw all the violent/cry for help drawings which specifically showed a gun.

4.) They never said a word about Ethan owning a gun - a gun of his own like the one in his drawings.

5.) When they found out about the shooting Jennifer thought it could be her son (so did James) and she text Ethan "don't do it." Then she wanted reassurance that she wouldn't lose her job if Ethan was the shooter.

6.) If my kid was in a school with a school shooting I would run up there to protect him from the shooter - not accuse him of possibly being the actual shooter. Wouldn't cross my mind. It crossed the Crumbley's minds....2 Cents

As James and Jennifer Crumbley's historic trials near, here's what we know​

MSN - LINK
1704380006895.png

Last edited:
The attorney for Jennifer Crumbley wants a judge to reconsider her order allowing a jury to see surveillance video that shows her son's massacre at Oxford High School, claiming it would be "overwhelmingly prejudicial" in the defendant's upcoming involuntary manslaughter trial.

On Monday, Jennifer Crumbley's attorney Shannon Smith said in a motion that the defense thought the video in question would be of the arrival of Jennifer and James Crumbley at Oxford High School on Nov. 30, 2021, for a meeting with school officials over their son's conduct. So Smith asked Oakland County Circuit Judge Cheryl Matthews to reconsider her Friday order to allow prosecutors to show jurors video of the killing, along with testimony from three witnesses to the killings...

1.) They bought the gun for him.

2.) They gave him 24/7 access to the gun by not securing it or even hiding it.

3.) At school they saw all the violent/cry for help drawings which specifically showed a gun.

4.) They never said a word about Ethan owning a gun - a gun of his own like the one in his drawings.

5.) When they found out about the shooting Jennifer thought it could be her son (so did James) and she text Ethan "don't do it." Then she wanted reassurance that she wouldn't lose her job if Ethan was the shooter.

6.) If my kid was in a school with a school shooting I would run up there to protect him from the shooter - not accuse him of possibly being the actual shooter. Wouldn't cross my mind. It crossed the Crumbley's minds....2 Cents

As James and Jennifer Crumbley's historic trials near, here's what we know​

MSN - LINK
View attachment 472120
To add to your excellent points, Cool Cats:

When Jennifer was contacted because Ethan was using his phone to look up ammuntion in class,she told him, "Don't get caught".

Presumably meaning don't get caught using his phone in class, but not a peep about what he was actually looking at.

To add to your excellent points, Cool Cats:

When Jennifer was contacted because Ethan was using his phone to look up ammuntion in class,she told him, "Don't get caught".

Presumably meaning don't get caught using his phone in class, but not a peep about what he was actually looking at.

It never occurred to me she was referring to "don't get caught" using the phone. I thought she meant "don't get caught" looking up ammunition.....After all, she was all pro gun for her 15 year old who draws pictures of blood, guns and shooting people and says "help me."

Hummm.......

What do you think about showing the jury graphic videos and hearing graphic testimony at Jennifer's trial?

I'm leaning towards it being too prejudicial.

I hate to say it, because I think his parents deserve equal blame to him, but it seems prejudicial enough that if included, and J and J are convicted, they might win an appeal. JMO.

It could end up like the Ross Harris case (a malice murder conviction overturned because of prejudicial information during trial), and that would be awful.

I think the evidence regarding their home life will be allowed, but no videos or anything graphic about the shooting.

I think there's plenty to work with regarding the home life and atmosphere. I'm curious if we will hear testimony from Ethan's half-brother who lived with them for a time and then moved back to Florida.

I think the evidence regarding their home life will be allowed, but no videos or anything graphic about the shooting.

I think there's plenty to work with regarding the home life and atmosphere. I'm curious if we will hear testimony from Ethan's half-brother who lived with them for a time and then moved back to Florida.
IIRC, a team of lawyers from the Prosecutor's office went to Florida to depose members of the Crumbley family. I think Ethan's half-brother will testify during one or both of the parent's trials; maybe James' ex, as well.

IIRC, a team of lawyers from the Prosecutor's office went to Florida to depose members of the Crumbley family. I think Ethan's half-brother will testify during one or both of the parent's trials; maybe James' ex, as well.

Weird article. James' ex said he was making six figures at some point , and she puts blame on Jennifer for James' own choices. It's going through be a mud-slinging trial.

Weird article. James' ex said he was making six figures at some point , and she puts blame on Jennifer for James' own choices. It's going through be a mud-slinging trial.
I've always figured that one Crumbley would throw the other Crumbley under the bus. It remains to be seen how either one of Ethan's parents will fare during their respective trials.

Judge rejects James, Jennifer Crumbley request: Jury will see video of your son's rampage
To the chagrin of James and Jennifer Crumbley, a judge has ruled that two eyewitnesses to their son's mass shooting at Oxford High School will be allowed to testify at their upcoming trials.....

And the jury will be allowed to see video footage of the rampage.

Last edited:
A jury will be able to hear testimony from two witnesses of the Oxford High School shooting and see video from the 2021 massacre during the shooter's parents' trials, despite their attorneys' attempts to get it banned from the proceeding.

Jennifer Crumbley's attorney Shannon Smith and James Crumbley's attorney Mariell Lehman asked Oakland Circuit Judge Cheryl Matthews to not allow prosecutors to call three witnesses — teacher Molly Darnell, who was shot during the Nov. 2021 rampage; Oxford High School Assistant Principal Kristy Gibson-Marshall, who saw the shooter and talked to him just before he was arrested; and student Keegan Gregory, who witnessed Justin Shilling being killed in a bathroom.

All three will be allowed to testify during the Crumbleys' trials for involuntary manslaughter, which start later this month. Prosecutors later noted they would no longer be calling Keegan as a witness...

The Oxford school district is suing its insurance company in an attempt to resolve a disagreement over how the district’s insurance policy applies to pending lawsuits stemming from the 2021 deadly attack at its high school.

On Tuesday, Oxford's board of education authorized filing a lawsuit against SET SEG, the district's insurance company, according to board president Erin Reis, who spoke after the board voted unanimously to take the unusual step.

Reis added: "We hope resolving this matter will also enable the district to resolve the lawsuits in the near future, allowing the community to continue the process of healing and taking our next steps."

The board, which met in closed session Tuesday night, did not explain at the meeting what the disagreement between it and its insurer is about or provide further details...

Ethan Crumbley was 15 when he opened fire at his suburban Detroit high school in November 2021, armed with a semi-automatic handgun that his parents helped purchase as an early Christmas present.

The rampage left four students dead and several others injured, shattering the close-knit community of Oxford, Michigan, and resulting last month in a life sentence without parole for Crumbley, who was charged as an adult and pleaded guilty to two dozen counts, including for murder and terrorism.

Now, scrutiny falls on the teenager’s parents.

In a rare attempt to hold the parents of a school shooter criminally responsible, James Crumbley, 47, and his wife, Jennifer, 45, are each facing four counts of involuntary manslaughter and will be tried separately, with a trial set to open with jury selection in Oakland County on Tuesday...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KatGran