MI MI - Julia Niswender, 23, EMU student, Ypsilanti, 10 Dec 2012 - #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to revisit the date Julia had the Saturday night before she was murdered. He has been cleared by LE, so I'm not revisiting from that perspective. I'm interested in understanding why Julia didn't share this date info with her twin when they had lunch that Saturday. From what has been characterized, that is very unusual. Why?

How was it discovered she had a date that night? Did he come forward, or had Julia finally told her twin when they were texting back and forth that fateful Sunday night when she was murdered?

What was it about this guy (and I know we speculated this upthread), that made Julia not want to talk about him/her date with him? Was there something about him that her family would have "disapproved" of?

He has been cleared but I wonder about others associated with him, ex-girl friend, wife etc. I wonder why the date was so hush-hush....maybe it had nothing to do with Julia not wanting to share, but rather her date had reasons to keep it quiet.

The tox screen may have been inconclusive at the time the article was written (about a month after her death). The samples may have subsequently been sent out for more detailed testing at a specialty lab and those results are not being shared with the public.

Yes, the fox report itself was never released to the public. "inconclusive" is vague enough that it could mean anything. And, as you say there may be more testing results that we don't even know about. It is even possible that the toxicology report indicated a massive amount of poison. But LE might not want to release such information to the public.

I can find and site cases for you if you'd like, but really my point was that it doesnt have to be a MALE perp that killed her. Yes, there are many more cases of Males killing females, but, there are also numerous cases of Females killing other females. I'll find more specific numbers as soon as I have more time.

You are right. Upthread I posted some links with DOJ reports. Without rereading, tired and lazy tonight... ; ), I think females account almost 25% of all crimes reported. Not sure what percentage are attributed to murders however. And while not as likely, we certainly shouldn't skip over that examination. I often think females might compel a male to inflict injury on someone else. There are some notable cases of that where a guy has had an affair an the GF or wife has him off the lover.
But as Forager points out, they are generally an exception to the mainstream murder profile.

You are right. Upthread I posted some links with DOJ reports. Without rereading, tired and lazy tonight... ; ), I think females account almost 25% of all crimes reported. Not sure what percentage are attributed to murders however. And while not as likely, we certainly shouldn't skip over that examination. I often think females might compel a male to inflict injury on someone else. There are some notable cases of that where a guy has had an affair an the GF or wife has him off the lover.
But as Forager points out, they are generally an exception to the mainstream murder profile.

Roses, like a Lady MacBeth type in the picture? I keep reminding myself of Occam's Razor and have hope that LE has the means and information necessary to cut through to what's real. Why doesn't step dad want to say where he was formally in a statement to LE? There's that question, than there's this question that has to be asked as well, why exactly would LE go to all this trouble to want to know? Why would computers be hidden? Why could Julia lack trust and bring it up in SM? Those she didn't trust, she may have known. They may have let her down so badly she need to say out loud.

*does anyone other than Occam even have a Razor?

Although it seems likely that Julia knew her killer, I think it is still possible that the attacker was a stranger. Although there were no signs of forced entry into the apartment as far as I know, the perp(s) could have gone inside because the apartment door wasn't properly locked. Julia's roommate briefly entered the apartment to pick up some things that night. It could be possible, that she accidentally did not lock the door, or did not lock it properly. Julia may not even have been aware that the door was unlocked. She probably never noticed that her roommate came in and left.
(She didn't see the roommate and her TV was loud, according to the roommate.)

Thieves sometimes go around looking for unlocked doors. The perp(s) may have found the door to Julia's apartment unlocked and entered. Julia's death may have been attempt to silence her, but there may also be a sexual component to it. I know that the evidence that we know of does not really point towards a theft gone bad, but the evidence does not exclude it, I think. It was said that no valuable items were taken. But a smart thief probably wouldn't take anything after killing someone, because the items taken will link them to the murder. In the Paul deWolf case, thieves entered his room and killed him, but they also took valuable items from their house. They were caught because they tried to sell these valuable items. In de Paul de Wolf case, LE said that no items were taken. That was a lie, but a justifiable one, because it ultimately cracked the case. In Julia's case, it may be that LE is lying/misleading about certain details. In particular, it is not clear what items, if any, besides the key were taken.

Since Julia's body was partially undressed, I think that the motive could also have sexual. Even though there might not have been signs of sexual assault. In the Laura Dickinson case the motive was sexual, but there was no penetration. Semen was found on the thigh and on the bed.
(But the amounts were small and the perp must have gotten rid of most semen somehow). In the Laura Dickinson case, there were no signs of struggle, and the victim died due to asphyxiation (strangulation and/or smothering) according to autopsy. In Julia's case, the perp(s) may have tried to wash the body to get rid of any evidence (DNA, fibers etc.). They may have been unaware that she was still alive at the point.

Of course, all speculation. But the point is that I don't think it is impossible that the murderer was a stranger.

Although it seems likely that Julia knew her killer, I think it is still possible that the attacker was a stranger. Although there were no signs of forced entry into the apartment as far as I know, the perp(s) could have gone inside because the apartment door wasn't properly locked. Julia's roommate briefly entered the apartment to pick up some things that night. It could be possible, that she accidentally did not lock the door, or did not lock it properly. Julia may not even have been aware that the door was unlocked. She probably never noticed that her roommate came in and left.
(She didn't see the roommate and her TV was loud, according to the roommate.)

Thieves sometimes go around looking for unlocked doors. The perp(s) may have found the door to Julia's apartment unlocked and entered. Julia's death may have been attempt to silence her, but there may also be a sexual component to it. I know that the evidence that we know of does not really point towards a theft gone bad, but the evidence does not exclude it, I think. It was said that no valuable items were taken. But a smart thief probably wouldn't take anything after killing someone, because the items taken will link them to the murder. In the Paul deWolf case, thieves entered his room and killed him, but they also took valuable items from their house. They were caught because they tried to sell these valuable items. In de Paul de Wolf case, LE said that no items were taken. That was a lie, but a justifiable one, because it ultimately cracked the case. In Julia's case, it may be that LE is lying/misleading about certain details. In particular, it is not clear what items, if any, besides the key were taken.

Since Julia's body was partially undressed, I think that the motive could also have sexual. Even though there might not have been signs of sexual assault. In the Laura Dickinson case the motive was sexual, but there was no penetration. Semen was found on the thigh and on the bed.
(But the amounts were small and the perp must have gotten rid of most semen somehow). In the Laura Dickinson case, there were no signs of struggle, and the victim died due to asphyxiation (strangulation and/or smothering) according to autopsy. In Julia's case, the perp(s) may have tried to wash the body to get rid of any evidence (DNA, fibers etc.). They may have been unaware that she was still alive at the point.

Of course, all speculation. But the point is that I don't think it is impossible that the murderer was a stranger.

Additional information in the article:

http://www.mlive.com/news/ann-arbor...ice_arrest_man_accused_of_u.html#incart_river

This incident happened in an apartment, several blocks from the EMU campus, same as JN

Relaxing in my den after a busy week, and turning my attention back to Julia and this case. I've been studying some of the research documents I posted upthread, especially the 5 year study conducted by the FBI that provides some very good food for thought:
http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/nibrs/crime-in-schools-and-colleges

And, many have you have been offering up some very interesting ideas to consider as well. I've spent some time whiteboarding what little is publicly known, and attempting to tease out a solid hypothesis. And admittedly, this is a baffling case for many reasons. If we use the FBI study as our statistical guide we find there are many things that make this case so unique. Including, but not limited to:

-Campus murders are relatively low and unique
-Asphyxiation is not a common form of murder in campus murders, neither are drugs (!) or poison
-Having a step-parent as a POI is unique, the statistics tell us the overwhelming majority of Perps are acquaintances
-Having a family friend in the same age group from the same small town murdered is astronomically off the charts statistically
-And the list goes on...

So where does this leave us at the moment? LE is continuing their investigation, and seeking additional clarity from the POI. In addition to the forensics work being done, I think there are two other paths that need to be vigorously pursued, or revisited:
-I think that people who were at the top of the interview list right after Julia's murder should be visited again. Special attention should be paid to their now ex gf's/bf's, and they should be vigorously interviewed. Time brings changes to allegiances, and loyalty. Someone might talk
-All commonalities with Chelsea Bruck must be uncovered. (Same gym? Hairdresser? Common friends? etc.)

And of course, as my old detective friend said..."focus on the why, and you'll find the who".

Relaxing in my den after a busy week, and turning my attention back to Julia and this case. I've been studying some of the research documents I posted upthread, especially the 5 year study conducted by the FBI that provides some very good food for thought:
http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/nibrs/crime-in-schools-and-colleges

And, many have you have been offering up some very interesting ideas to consider as well. I've spent some time whiteboarding what little is publicly known, and attempting to tease out a solid hypothesis. And admittedly, this is a baffling case for many reasons. If we use the FBI study as our statistical guide we find there are many things that make this case so unique. Including, but not limited to:

-Campus murders are relatively low and unique
-Asphyxiation is not a common form of murder in campus murders, neither are drugs (!) or poison
-Having a step-parent as a POI is unique, the statistics tell us the overwhelming majority of Perps are acquaintances
-Having a family friend in the same age group from the same small town murdered is astronomically off the charts statistically
-And the list goes on...

So where does this leave us at the moment? LE is continuing their investigation, and seeking additional clarity from the POI. In addition to the forensics work being done, I think there are two other paths that need to be vigorously pursued, or revisited:
-I think that people who were at the top of the interview list right after Julia's murder should be visited again. Special attention should be paid to their now ex gf's/bf's, and they should be vigorously interviewed. Time brings changes to allegiances, and loyalty. Someone might talk
-All commonalities with Chelsea Bruck must be uncovered. (Same gym? Hairdresser? Common friends? etc.)

And of course, as my old detective friend said..."focus on the why, and you'll find the who".

Similarities between JN and CB:

1. Both have sisters who are BFFs.
2. Both are from and grew up mostly in the Monroe, Mi area.
3. Both went to Monroe High School, graduating different years. JN in 2008, CB 2010.
4. Both posed in a photograph together with their sisters who are BFFs, which is online. It seems in recent years they must have socialized together some with the sisters.

There has to be more similarities. The main link in recent years seems to be their sisters who are close friends.

Similarities between JN and CB:

1. Both have sisters who are BFFs.
2. Both are from and grew up mostly in the Monroe, Mi area.
3. Both went to Monroe High School, graduating different years. JN in 2008, CB 2010.
4. Both posed in a photograph together with their sisters who are BFFs, which is online. It seems in recent years they must have socialized together some with the sisters.

There has to be more similarities. The main link in recent years seems to be their sisters who are close friends.

Both have tattoos...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am still thinking about the attempted sexual assault in Ypsilanti:
Two 21-year-old women reported the home invasion. One woman said she woke up partially unclothed and the 26-year-old man next to her in bed holding a knife to her throat, according to Ypsilanti police Lt. Deric Gress.
http://www.mlive.com/news/ann-arbor/index.ssf/2015/06/police_arrest_man_accused_of_u.html

The perps were 26 and 57 years old. I was suprised that their ages are so far apart. Father and son?

I would like to here more details about this. The names haven't been released yet. There is a small
chance that these people were involved in Julia's death. If they were we will probably find out in the near future.

I am still thinking about the attempted sexual assault in Ypsilanti:

http://www.mlive.com/news/ann-arbor/index.ssf/2015/06/police_arrest_man_accused_of_u.html

The perps were 26 and 57 years old. I was suprised that their ages are so far apart. Father and son?

I would like to here more details about this. The names haven't been released yet. There is a small
chance that these people were involved in Julia's death. If they were we will probably find out in the near future.

YES. Any assaults with any similar markers/characteristics have to be closely examined for a possible connection!

Apparently not. Sorry ... false alarm. The reporter John Counts tweeted that the police confirmed that there is no body, only bags of clothes. I guess
people are getting anxious after finding Tonya Jackson in Ford lake, and everything that is going on at Peninsular apartments.

Glad it was an innocuous outcome, and thank you for posting this! You are doing a fantastic job sleuthing for any and all possible connections; exactly what we need to do!

Glad it was an innocuous outcome, and thank you for posting this! You are doing a fantastic job sleuthing for any and all possible connections; exactly what we need to do!

I think any homicide in the Ypsilanti area needs to be checked for possible links to other open cases. Who's to say JN and TJ (if it's found TJ's death was a homicide) couldn't be the same POI?

Do we know where Julia went on her date the Saturday night before she was murdered? Was it just the two of them, or did they meet up with another couple or a group of friends? Where was the date?

Do we know where Julia went on her date the Saturday night before she was murdered? Was it just the two of them, or did they meet up with another couple or a group of friends? Where was the date?

I don't have any info about the date. Possibly MIMOMMY could enlighten us.

It seems to me, that everyone is waiting to see what happens in JT's Circuit Court trial (possessing child *advertiser censored*) scheduled to start on June 29th. Possibly he will be more cooperative with LE after the trial and give LE a statement and any other information they would like to assist them in solving this murder. Then again, he may just continue to be as uncooperative as he has been for the last 6 months. JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sadiew85