Found Deceased MI - Patrick 'Kegan' Cochrane, MSU student, Lansing, 9 April 2016

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Are you getting a hoax/social experiment vibe? I did at first, but changed my mind gradually.
I must admit that idea keeps popping up in the back of my mind.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I'm not seeing anything for 2:59? The earliest I see is at 4:19
I wonder if whatever you saw has been deleted

I don't have Facebook but I think the time stamps are different depending on what time zone you are in.

This is local for me...I work less than 2 miles from Kegan's dorm room. My mind would like to believe this was either an elaborate scheme to gain attention or his idea of a masterpiece thesis presentation...but my heart is very worried for Kegan and my thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends.

Per an earlier message in this string he did not have a personal vehicle. Thus, I can only assume he's planning to end his life locally or he took either a bus or a cab "out of town" as he stated in his letter to LE. LE should be able to determine if he took the bus or a cab. If not, then there is no shortage of bodies of water close Michigan State University (MSU).

Below is a link to a Google map showing where his dorm is located on MSU campus. Less than 1/2 mile from his dorm room is the Red Cedar River. Lake Lansing is roughly 5 miles from his dorm. Park Lake is 6 to 7 miles from his dorm. Within 10 miles of his dorm would be Mud Lake, Perch Lake, Potter Lake, Prigooris Lake and Rose Lake. Some of these lakes are surrounded by wooded State Wildlife areas. Unnamed bodies of water on the map are usually man made retention ponds....some are very large and there are too many to count.

Google map: https://www.google.com/maps/place/361+Physics+Rd,+East+Lansing,+MI+48825/@42.7312098,-84.466218,15z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x8822c28207e71241:0x1b21511aef05ddff

The weather in East Lansing on Friday, 4/8 was 33 degrees (12 degrees lower than normal) and we received 4.70 inches of snow with very heavy snowfall at times. Not great weather for traveling on foot.

I've also spent some time thinking about Kegan's statements relevant to how he gathered everything he would need to take his own life by drowning as well as items for multiple "contingency plans" should drowning fail. Based on descriptions in Chapter 10 of his book he would have had to take quite a few items with him to his final destination. I don't recall seeing any mention of how he planned to hide or dispose of everything he brought with him prior to taking his life via drowning. Should drowning fail, he would need those items back on dry land to initiate one of the contingency plans. However, leaving items on dry land would increase the chances that he could be discovered after the fact.

At this point I can only hope that he has a change of heart......

Reading what he wrote reminded me of my son because of his depression, Asperger's, and narcissism. I know that's why his book and the letters he wrote have had such an effect on me. Because of my son's issues with not being able to show emotion as well as his beliefs that he is ALWAYS right, these are letters and a book he could have easily written. He's extremely intelligent but doesn't want to, or can't, grasp that he isn't always correct. He also has never had more than a couple of friends. He is a loner, he can't make friends, those close to him struggle to deal with his issues. He has been talking about wanting to die for several years because he feels like he has no one in his life. He's had only one short relationship with a girl and that ended within a 2 months. I understand to a point but it's very stressful on everyone and terrible to have to live through and knowing how much I wish I could make it better, but I can't. He has refused his entire life to get mental health treatment whether it be meds or therapy. They just don't work is his response.

The reason I found what I did read so painful is because my brother, who is 46, also has Asperger's and when he took off this last time (rejected all assistance from the mental health organization, including independent living resources and assistance), while cleaning his things out of my house I came upon a notebook full of similar writings and very bizarre thoughts he wrote down. He told me his minimal dosage of Prozac was "controlling him" so refused to take it. What it boils down to is he resented me for making him work part time, take antidepressants and not hoard books, food and garbage in his room. Although we had many conversations about contributing to household bills, he felt that any money he made was his to buy books and food with and I should continue providing everything else he needed until I die. :gaah:

So Keegan is like looking at my brother 25 years ago and if it's difficult for me, an unrelated person, to read his book and letters or watch his videos, I can't imagine how the people who know him feel. But definitely this is more than depression (that's the only issue he discusses).

Just click the FB link I posted. It takes you right to all of them. Michigan State University Police Dept. posts at 2:59. Read the posts under their post.

I couldn't find another FB for Kegan. There is another person with the same name, but it's not a 2nd FB for our Kegan.

I've watched a few of his videos and I must say, personally I saw no tears. His tone was straight across the board. Not much emotion at all. Actually, it seemed as they were nothing but ramblings. He did mention in one of the videos, he would like a author to take a look at his book. Why is he so insistent on everyone reading the book and especially chapter 10.

If this is an elaborate hoax, it's very cruel for his family and friends to read the letters and watch the videos.

On the FB page I mentioned above, there is mention of tunnels underneath the school. Posters were asking LE if they'd been checked. LE has also stated they are Checking into the postings of the videos, some posted as recently as this afternoon. Everyone who posted on this FB post, who knows/knew him had nothing but good things to say about him.

I also wonder about the letter he wrote to his mother. Why does he think she would commit suicide over his actions? He has other siblings and at least one Nephew. Does he actually think she would leave them?

At first I was shocked when I begin reading all this stuff, but I think for now, I'm just gonna sit on the fence.

All jmo.

This case has been really heartbreaking to me because I knew Kegan; I use the past tense there not because I've given up hope, but because I haven't interacted with Kegan for well over a year. We weren't friends, but we were friendly during our freshman year, and we had brief conversations sophomore year. After that I would see him around sometimes, but we didn't interact. I don't think either of us were particularly social. I do know some people who had more recent and more regular interactions with him, and I really hope they're doing okay.

When I interacted with Kegan, I did think he might be on the Autism spectrum. I'm obviously not qualified to make any sort of diagnosis, but I have a few friends who are on the spectrum, and he reminded me of them in some ways. Still, it could be that he was just different, without any kind of diagnosis behind it (you know, not counting depression).

As for the languages, whenever I saw him he seemed to have a book about a different language with him. I wondered about how proficient he could be in that many languages, but I don't doubt he had some knowledge of many of them.

To his friends and family who might see this, I'm so sorry for what you're going through. My heart breaks for you, and I hope you know that there are people and resources out there for you. If you're having a hard time reaching out to people in your life, there are crisis hotlines you could call-- you don't have to be suicidal yourself; you can talk about however your feeling with someone who's there to listen.

Welcome, Ikki. I'm sorry this sad situation with Kegan brought you to Websleuths, but I hope you'll stay. Thank you for sharing your impressions and your helpful concern for those who may be suicidal or have problems and need support. Warm hugs. :grouphug:

This case has been really heartbreaking to me because I knew Kegan; I use the past tense there not because I've given up hope, but because I haven't interacted with Kegan for well over a year. We weren't friends, but we were friendly during our freshman year, and we had brief conversations sophomore year. After that I would see him around sometimes, but we didn't interact. I don't think either of us were particularly social. I do know some people who had more recent and more regular interactions with him, and I really hope they're doing okay.

When I interacted with Kegan, I did think he might be on the Autism spectrum. I'm obviously not qualified to make any sort of diagnosis, but I have a few friends who are on the spectrum, and he reminded me of them in some ways. Still, it could be that he was just different, without any kind of diagnosis behind it (you know, not counting depression).

As for the languages, whenever I saw him he seemed to have a book about a different language with him. I wondered about how proficient he could be in that many languages, but I don't doubt he had some knowledge of many of them.

To his friends and family who might see this, I'm so sorry for what you're going through. My heart breaks for you, and I hope you know that there are people and resources out there for you. If you're having a hard time reaching out to people in your life, there are crisis hotlines you could call-- you don't have to be suicidal yourself; you can talk about however your feeling with someone who's there to listen.

Welcome Ikki, sorry you're here under these circumstances.

ASD is incredibly fascinating and mysterious! I don't think it's known whether Kegan is indeed on the spectrum, but many traits shown by his writings and videos are strikingly familiar to some of us with ASD loved ones. Yes, he could be just "different", without a diagnosis or could be undiagnosed, to me it doesn't matter. My brother has never been officially diagnosed, but is a textbook example!

I do hope Kegan is safe somewhere.

Hoping they find him soon. Sadly it looks as if they will not find him alive.

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

Bumping for Kegan. I can't find any updates except that he's still missing.

What an interesting body of work... I also thought it could be his thesis, the social experiment of it all as an underpinning, and a compelling one if you approach it from a scholarly perspective. However, he is not a philosophy or psychology major and took only one class (see below) so this wouldn't really fit and is three times too long. I don't see the parallels between Kegan's book and Eliott Rodgers' "manifesto", mainly because one is a literary self-portrait written to the tune of existentialism and the other is a journal of a sociopathic killer. But as his opening pages say:
I invite you all to criticize my book as much as you can. Not allcriticisms are good or valid, but please criticize away at any rate.
p.6 https://reasonabledeath.files.wordpress.com/2016/04/book-a-most-reasonable-death1.pdf

and then

I humbly ask that you, the reader, read this chapter with the intention tounderstand me and not with the expectation that I am trying to convince you that I amright.
p.236 https://reasonabledeath.files.wordpress.com/2016/04/book-a-most-reasonable-death1.pdf

Framed as a book of personal philosophies, he is shaping an arena for critical thought, or trying to in my opinion - up until Chapter 10. As such, it is going to sound self-important or condescending, but I truly doubt that is his intention. Instead, I see it as an exercise of his intellect which has not yet finished maturing and wouldn't for many more years to come - it does have the marks of a young person lost in the alluring realms of complicated words and ideas. I sure wrote several pieces in college that sang similar tunes, and which I could read now and cringe at my self-indulgence.

If 100% true and he has gone off to die, I do not see him as an evil, cruel or narcissistic person, I see him as a dreadfully honest and intelligent nihilist with a history of mental disease and a hard upbringing - I mean, he lays it all out for us in the book so doesn't really need a second opinion. Psychology and Philosophy are both inherently self-centered areas of study (whether formally or not he has clearly studied them), and even more introverted modes of thinking, and on the surface that may come off as narcissistic but Keegan demonstrates the ability to empathize and feel. I can't judge the things he says in his letters, or his choice to make them public for two reasons:

1. Just 15 years is enough of a gap that I really cannot relate to how he sees the world. I have a brother his age that has taught me just how different life is for his generation no matter how much we have in common.

2. The "terrible" things he says are his truths. There is no reason anyone should edit themselves when addressing loved ones, especially for the last time.

After all, the premise is that he killed himself, and in doing so, eliminated his bitter, resentful self from their lives. Take this passage, which is a key statement IMO:
Despite all thetimes I made you cry year after year, one of the worst feelings ever is knowing I am the cause of yoursadness. To make someone as wonderful and happy as you break down into tears is truly the mark of ahorrible person.

-Letters, Page 4: https://reasonabledeath.files.wordpress.com/2016/04/letters1.pdf

Self loathing is a classic motivator for suicide. Sad people also cry a lot. Some of you may handle your depression by becoming numb, that is also common, but crying is simply how humans in general express a range of sad emotions. I ask that we all be mindful of projecting our own experiences and feelings on Kegan, and to not take his letters personally - we don't know his family or how they understand or take his words, and those understandings are most certainly very different from our own.

You might be wondering how I could do this to you, or what you did to deserve this from me after all youdid for me. These are the wrong kinds of thoughts. You’re thinking about it from a skewed and incorrectperspective. My choice wasn’t about you. I know you like to take responsibility for everything I do, but Iam my own person. -Letters, Page 8: https://reasonabledeath.files.wordpress.com/2016/04/letters1.pdf

Suicide is also sometimes a form of control. Not so much over others, but finally over oneself. Keegan makes several statements throughout his letters that infer he experienced a lot of controlling and invalidating behaviors from others in his life.

I am now working on a summary of chapter 10 and will post it asap. It should help clarify the important bits and bring anyone up to speed that can't get through the whole thing word for word.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
8xbet81bet
Back