MISTRIAL - Sidney Moorer trial for Kidnapping Heather Elvis, 24 June 2016 #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is entirely speculation from folks on this forum - there is no evidence that they knew each other.
Oops didn't mean to like this. Can't erase the like on Tapatalk

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I do not think the folks on this forum made it up.
http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/remove-markley-dennis
"Thirdly, a disturbing fact has been brought to our attention this week by the Horry County Solicitors office that causes our family to have a large amount to distrust in the ability of Judge Markley Dennis to be fair and impartial on this case. It has been revealed that Judge Markley Dennis was a schoolmate of the defendant's father ( Sidney Moorer ). They went to the same school in a much smaller town of Summerville South Carolina area. "

Approx hs class of 1966? Berkeley High? How many people in school there at the time?
If it's anything like <family member's nearby SC high school of same era>, they definitely knew each other.

Approx hs class of 1966? Berkeley High? How many people in school there at the time?
If it's anything like <family member's nearby SC high school of same era>, they definitely knew each other.

As your user name suggests, that is a reasonable guess... but it is not evidence. Nothing has indicated to me that there is any proof that they were friends. They may have known who each other were, they may have hated each other, they may have been complete strangers.

If there was evidence that they hated each other would you guys want the judge removed because he'd be biased against the defense?

As your user name suggests, that is a reasonable guess... but it is not evidence. Nothing has indicated to me that there is any proof that they were friends. They may have known who each other were, they may have hated each other, they may have been complete strangers.

If there was evidence that they hated each other would you guys want the judge removed because he'd be biased against the defense?

If they hated each other, the M's would have been screaming from the rooftops! And we definitely would want him out. WS'ers are consistent in not wanting any grounds for appeal.

For focus, none of us are privy to evidence that was not made public in the first trial, so every comment is a guess.

That being said, there have been allegations from many citizens of Horry County of systemic corruption in the legal processes, and I believe that removing any known factors of potential bias (such as that possibility of connection between M's dad and the judge) would benefit the case a whole.

Just a reminder, WC also had a brother (that wasn't exactly a role model) that was close in age to WC and Judge R. Markley Dennis, Jr.. He could have attended Lord Berkeley Academy too IMO.

W.C. - born 1945
C.E.C. - born 1946
Judge R.M.D. - born 1947

http://articles.dailypress.com/1998..._cheyney-south-carolina-man-sawed-off-shotgun

Whether they were "friends" or not is speculative. Whether they knew of one another, uh... not so much!

And on another note, CEC was not mentioned in WC's obituary. :waitasec:

People knowing who each other are is inevitably going to happen in small town courts. If the degree of familiarity is so close that it becomes a problem, we would hope something should be done about that. I haven't seen the evidence that this friendship existed, and I'm not sure that even if it did that that it would be considered a reason that the judge would need to recuse himself (if someone more connected to the courts than I can weigh in that would be helpful).

I did find some of the judge's actions questionable however.

People knowing who each other are is inevitably going to happen in small town courts. If the degree of familiarity is so close that it becomes a problem, we would hope something should be done about that. I haven't seen the evidence that this friendship existed, and I'm not sure that even if it did that that it would be considered a reason that the judge would need to recuse himself (if someone more connected to the courts than I can weigh in that would be helpful).

Horry County is not that small. It's larger than the entire state of NH and has a population of 289,000.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There was a letter that was leaked from prosecution to judge saying they were not going to ask him to recuse himself due to his relationship with Sid's father. It followed a conference between prosecution, defense and judge after the Elvis family started their petition. There was at least one article about it, which is probably in the media thread. I'll see if I can find it later.

Also, though the nature of any relationship was never confirmed (i.e. whether they were friends or just acquaintances), I don't think the judge ever denied it and it was established that they did know each other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you are right about making it easier on himself. This judge has done nothing but to make this case unfair. Why he is still the judge after all the things he has pulled that is so unfair to this case. 1. He knew S dad from school. 2.He won`t let the state present a lot of issues,probably because Donna is a woman. 3. He shook Sid`s hand........why would he even do that? 4. He let a former friend ( attorney ) sit in on the jury. He thinks that he is above and beyond what anyone else thinks or feels. It is his way or no way. Moving this trial will not make any difference. The Moorer`s will be set free because that is what Judge D wants.

Re BBM
I agree and when I saw the judge shake the defendant's hand in the courtroom my jaw literally dropped and I still wonder if I was dreaming that it happened.

Since when does a judge shake a defendants hand under any circumstances.

Especially when the case is not even over. Heck, lets not even try to hide the appearance of being bias. Sheeesh.

I have to stick up for the Judge, despite his faults already pointed out.

If Syd had had a bench trial, then he would already be in jail and doing a good stretch in prison.

Rewatch the Judge's closing statements.He had Syd bang to rights and couldn't have said any clearer that the Defendant in front of him was guilty as sin.

Just curious, but why do you prefer the trial to be in Georgetown County over Horry County?

"Prefer" isn't the correct word. The only reason I would have any problem with it being in Georgetown County is because of the family having to travel. The advantage I see is that there's less chance of a buddy of the defense attorney being on the jury.

"Prefer" isn't the correct word. The only reason I would have any problem with it being in Georgetown County is because of the family having to travel. The advantage I see is that there's less chance of a buddy of the defense attorney being on the jury.
Fair enough.

It's been 3 years since the Moorers kidnapped and murdered Heather, and there is still no justice for the Elvis family.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HelloKitty1298