MN - George Floyd, 46, died in police custody, Minneapolis, 25 May 2020 #5 - Chauvin Trial Day 2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Williams did well under cross. He held his own even though I felt anxious at times because he seemed unnerved, understandably so. He also tends to add a lot of unnecessary detail and ramble a bit but that’s probably nerves. I do that when I’m feeling on the spot but it makes you anxious to watch it in this setting. Especially because of the objections and the judge interjecting - and each time that happened I felt like Williams would get defensive. I just wanted to be like “it’s OK you’re doing fine. Just focus on the question.” I’m sure it’s very emotional for these bystanders to recall that day and they feel an urge to advocate for George Floyd in this setting. And advocate for themselves because they’re being labeled an angry mob. All understandable.

My heart is aching for this witness. Her childhood was over after witnessing this.

Her in her blue pants filming, her little cousin that she took with her to the store in the green shirt, her friend in the white shirt and jeans on the far left, and the girl in all black with the white headband that was the firefighter talked about..(per her testimony just now with descriptions). all appear to be upcoming witnesses. None that day will ever be the same. Heck, I"m not the same. MOO.

How can you cope at that age knowing you witnessed someone die, filmed it for the world to see as testimony, and to be at trial just days after turning 18... *shivers*

bystanders.JPG
Source: Screen cap from Washington Post live feed of trial just now.

ETA: Over 43,000 folks watching the WaPo livestream right now!!!!

Last edited:
Cathy Russon
@cathyrusson
·
11m
#DerekChauvinTrial - Darnella is show this still shot. She says she saw something happening and pulled out her phone.

10m
#DerekChauvinTrial - Darnell sounds like she's choking up a bit. She says she heard #GeorgeFloyd cry for help, saying he couldn't breathe. "He was suffering."

9m
Darnell identifies Chauvin in this pic as the officer she saw kneeling on #GeorgeFloyd's neck.

View attachment 290624

8m
Darnella points to the woman on the far left in the white shirt saying that's a friend of hers she went to school with.

45s
#DerekChauvinTrial - Sidebar after Blackwell asks Darnella to describe the "nature and character" of the people gathered. "Would you describe yourselves as an unruly mob or an unruly crowd?" Darnella said they all knew what was happening "was not right". Judge strikes answer

link: https://twitter.com/cathyrusson

Paul Blume
@PaulBlume_FOX9
·
13m
Frazier is emotional as she testifies about what she witnessed. Describing seeing a man "terrified, scared, in pain.. begging for his life." She recalls hearing #GeorgeFloyd saying "I can't breathe, calling for his mama..he was suffering." She pulled out her phone to shoot video.

10m
Frazier testified she was alone on sidewalk when she began recording video of #GeorgeFloyd arrest on her cell phone, but other bystanders joined within a minute or so. She was particularly upset when shown a photo of Chauvin from the scene & asked to confirm his ID.

6m
Frazier was asked by prosecutors whether she would describe bystanders during #GeorgeFloyd deadly arrest as an "unruly mob?" Defense didn't like the question. But Frazier answered, no, that everyone was reacting in different ways. "It wasn't right."

4m
Darnella Frazier added that the only "violence" she witnessed outside Cup Foods was the violence perpetrated by the Minneapolis police officers. Would seem this will be another difficult cross examination for #DerekChauvin defense atty Eric Nelson.

link: https://twitter.com/PaulBlume_FOX9

Shout out to Paul, the tweeter. The judge ASKED the media not to use last names!!! for the folks who were minors at the time.

He is using full name against the judges request.

GRRRRRR wish I knew how to twitter as I would be all over him MOO

ETA: Just realized, Paul is a FOX news guy *sits on hands*

Last edited:
Yeah, I think his friend grabbed his shirt because earlier he had stepped off the curb. It might have been after Chauvin pointed the mace at them.
So sad to think of seeing someone dying in front of your eyes and not being able to stop it. That guy holding him back knew of the consequences for interfering.

Shout out to Paul, the tweeter. The judge ASKED not to use last names!!! for the folks who were minors at the time.

He is using full name.

GRRRRRR wish I knew how to twitter as I would be all over him MOO

Oh shoot - I saw the first one - where he used her last name - didn't even see him to do that - just copy/pasting - not reading.

@JerseyGirl - can you delete her last name in that tweet I posted??!! I don't want to get into trouble!!

Never mind - went back & still had time to edit - but now the quote is there....

"This is what I saw," Williams said, after Minnesota Assistant Attorney General Matthew Frank displayed a now-famous photo of Chauvin holding his knee on Floyd's neck. In the photo, Chauvin is looking up at the camera.

"The only reason why he's looking at me right now is because I told him it was a 'blood choke,'" Williams told Frank, who is leading the prosecution.

When asked what he heard from Floyd, Williams said the man was in distress, repeatedly saying that he couldn't breathe and that he was in pain. Floyd also said he was sorry, Williams recalled. He later said that at the time, he didn't know Floyd's name.

With Frank asking questions, he discussed his experience with choke holds and the practice of "tapping out" when a fighter submits.

He also said he saw Chauvin use a "shimmy" hold on Floyd, to restrict his motions.

Williams had gone fishing with his son earlier on May 25, and he said that after struggling to remember how to cut their catch up, he decided to get some air and pick up something to drink from Cup Foods. But as he walked toward the door, he saw two police vehicles outside. He started to wonder if perhaps he should just leave. He never made it inside.

"My energy stopped me, the surroundings stopped me," Williams said. "The energy of the air ... the energy was off. I couldn't like, get in the door for some reason."

As he watched the police actions taking place outside Cup Foods, Williams said he wondered, "Should I involve myself?"

He started hearing people talking and yelling, as officers struggled with George Floyd. Someone was saying to calm down. Another person called for their mother, he said. And one voice was saying, "Let him up."

The court saw a still photo from a surveillance video, showing Williams walking toward the door of the store, with the police in the street and several bystanders standing along the edge of the sidewalk.

"I observed the scene first before I spoke," Williams said.

An older man was calling out to Floyd, telling him that it would be OK and not to resist arrest, Williams said. Bystanders also told police they were concerned.

He says he also heard "George, on the ground, pretty much pleading for his life."

Williams walked closer to the commotion, moving to the edge of the street. As he recalls, he was "battling with myself to stay on the curb" as he watched what transpired.

Williams said he called former officer Tou Thou by his last name because he was close enough to read it on the officer's badge. As for what Thou's role was, he said, "He was the dictator," controlling what happened along the curb.

"He was the guy that let it go on," Williams said. Tou and two other officers will be tried separately on charges of aiding and abetting.

"I was totally scared for my safety and those around me," Williams said as he continued his testimony Tuesday.

He said he grew emotional because of the situation – and also because of how police were behaving. They were "nonresponsive" to his and other onlookers' concerns, he said.

He added that after the ambulance arrived, Chauvin did not take his knee off of Floyd's neck. After Floyd was loaded onto a gurney and taken away in an ambulance, Williams lingered.

He was nervous, he said, and didn't know what to do. He saw the officers move across the front of the store, away from the scene. Williams then pulled up his cellphone, called 911 – and reported to the dispatcher that he had just seen a murder. He said he felt the need "to call the police on the police."

The prosecution then played the recording of Williams' 911 call in court. "That was bogus, what they just did," Williams told the dispatcher.

In the emergency call, Williams singled out one officer by his badge number – he was referring to Chauvin, he acknowledged as he pointed to the former officer in court.

Jury In Chauvin Trial Hears More From Witness About 'Blood Choke'

So sad to think of seeing someone dying in front of your eyes and not being able to stop it. That guy holding him back knew of the consequences for interfering.
They must have felt helpless not being able to do anything. The crowd may not have been in physical danger, but I bet they still suffer the psychological effects after watching a man die under such horrible circumstances.

Sorry - lost my place - if I posted these before - ignore! :rolleyes:

Cathy Russon
@cathyrusson
·
36m
#DerekChauvinTrial - Sidebar after Blackwell asks Darnella to describe the "nature and character" of the people gathered. "Would you describe yourselves as an unruly mob or an unruly crowd?" Darnella said they all knew what was happening "was not right". Judge strikes answer

34m
- Darnella says the women in black w/white headband holding phone identified herself as a firefighter. She asked officer to check Floyd's pulse. Darnella said officers wouldn't let anyone get close to check for a pulse, "They pulled out mace."

34m
Darnella says she felt threatened, "I didn't understand why the mace was needed at all."

33m
Blackwell asking if she ever saw anyone on the scene administer aid to #GeorgeFloyd. Darnell said Chauvin never got off him, "If anything he was kneeling in even harder."

Paul Blume
@PaulBlume_FOX9
·
6m
COURTROOM PERSPECTIVE from our pool reporters:
Jurors #4, #5, # 13, #14 all seem engaged, taking a lot of notes throughout both witnesses (especially #5 and #14). Juror #2 continues to be most animated of Jurors, furrowed brow, uncomfortable & shocked, etc.

Oh shoot - I saw the first one - where he used her last name - didn't even see him to do that - just copy/pasting - not reading.

@JerseyGirl - can you delete her last name in that tweet I posted??!! I don't want to get into trouble!!

Never mind - went back & still had time to edit - but now the quote is there....

So far, the only person I've seen to tweet the full name is Paul the FOX news reporter. SMH

DF, then 17 years old, said she was taking her 9-year-old cousin to nearby Cup Foods when she saw "a man terrified, scared, begging for his life." She started to cry as she described making sure her young cousin was inside the store so that she couldn't see what was happening.

"It wasn't right," she said Tuesday. "He was suffering, he was in pain."

RDF said she would not characterize the group on the sidewalk watching Floyd's arrest as an unruly crowd. She said no one threatened the police or got physically violent toward the officers. The only violence she witnessed was "from the cops, from Chauvin and Officer (Tou) Thao." Thao was the officer who stood between Chauvin and the crowd.

She said she felt threatened when officers placed their hands on their chemical spray as those in the group tried to move closer to Chauvin and Floyd.

"I didn't understand why the Mace was even needed at all," she said.

She said as bystanders urged Chauvin to check Floyd's pulse, he continued to kneel on Floyd's neck.

"He actually was kneeling harder," Frazier said Tuesday. "He was shoving his knee in his neck."

Darnella Frazier video: Teen who filmed George Floyd's death testifies

Cathy Russon
@cathyrusson
·
3m
#DerekChauvinTrial - Nelson on cross-exam of Darnella. She agrees the crowd was becoming more and more upset based on what they saw.

3m
Nelson: Do you remember Officer Tao saying to you, "He can breathe if he can talk" ? Darnella: Yes.

Blackwell: Did you see anything that indicated to you that Mr. Chauvin was afraid of you, your little cousin or any of the bystanders? Darnella: No.

Darnella says she looks at it like it could have been her father, brother, cousins...she starts crying...she thinks about it every night and apologizes for not saving #GeorgeFloyd's life. "It's not what I should have done, it's what HE should have done."

They should have tweeter person give us a perspective of how the jurors are acting...

COURTROOM PERSPECTIVE from our pool reporters:
Jurors #4, #5, # 13, #14 all seem engaged, taking a lot of notes throughout both witnesses (especially #5 and #14). Juror #2 continues to be most animated of Jurors, furrowed brow, uncomfortable & shocked, etc.

I am surprised at juror #2, the 20-something year old woman who was “eager” to get on the jury.

State is asking re affect to her life as to what happened to GF...

(verbatim per live feed rewind to transcribe)

"When I look at George Floyd, I look at my dad, I look at my brothers, I look at my cousins, my uncle, because the are all black. I have a black father, I have a black brother, I have black friends, and I look that and I look at how it could have been one of them".. "nights I have stayed up apologizing and (she is breaking down in voice MOO) apologizing to George Floyd for doing more....."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GemGemma01