MN - George Floyd, 46, died in police custody, Minneapolis, 25 May 2020 #5 - Chauvin Trial Day 2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It was not immediately clear where Chauvin got the money to pay his bond. In Minnesota, someone who posts bond is required to pay 10%, in this case $100,000, to the bail bond company. Then, the company and the defendant work out an arrangement for collateral to back all or part of the rest of the bond amount, said Mike Brandt, a criminal defense attorney who is not connected to the case...

The Minnesota Police and Peace Officers Association, which has a legal defense fund, did not provide any money for bail, a spokeswoman said. Bob Kroll, president of the Minneapolis Police Officers Federation, said his union was not involved.

The website GiveSendGo.com, which says it is a free Christian crowdfunding site, has a Derek Chauvin Bail Fund that says it was created by his family. According to the site, as of midday Wednesday that fund raised $4,198 of its $125,000 goal, with donations from more than 35 people. A posting on the site dated Sept. 12 said it took time to set up a fundraising effort due to the high-profile nature of the case.

Chauvin had the option of posting bail for $1.25 million without conditions or $1 million with conditions. Under the conditions of his release, he must attend all court appearances, cannot have any direct or indirect contact — including social media contact — with any members of Floyd’s family, cannot work in law enforcement or security, and must not possess any firearms or ammunition.

Ex-cop charged in George Floyd’s death freed on $1 million bond (wlbt.com)

Now Nelson is cross-examining the witness.

He is starting by addressing differences from what she had told BCA and prosecutor previously.

She told BCA in prior interview "I even saw them check his pulse multiple times before the ambulance got there"

The witness doesn't agree that she said that. Nelson is showing her the transcript.

https://twitter.com/louraguse/status/1376974576396144649?s=21

Nelson, "You also described to the officers that you were angry .. and you would agree to this day you were angry at what you saw?"

Witness responds yes to both.

With that, Nelson is done.

https://twitter.com/callangraynews/status/1376975044950233093?s=21

Last edited:
Erin Eldridge with @AGEllison's team will be questioning this next witness as well. The witness is a 17 year old and is friends with the previous witness we heard from.

This witness says they're here in court "for George Floyd".

This witness describes going to Cup Foods with the last witness, says the first thing they noticed as they drove up, "we heard George Floyd's voice yelling out for his mom and saying he can't breathe".

This witness stayed in the car for a bit, telling Eldridge, "I heard George Floyd yelling still, saying he can't breathe and then I heard witnesses that were there saying he was unresponsive", says got out of the car when voices were getting louder.

Witness learned #GeorgeFloyd's name later, didn't know him on May 25th. Same with #DerekChauvin.

Eldridge asks what witness saw.

Witness describes, "I saw [Chauvin] digging his knee into [Floyd's] neck more", says it was more pressure than needed.

https://twitter.com/callangraynews/status/1376978476914335744?s=21

@Chelly I agree with you about Williams seeming confused or unsure when describing the different chokes during cross exam. It seemed like Nelson gave up because that part got frustrating and also Nelson doesn’t have the background to refute Williams and he can’t get argumentative with him.

I have to read about what the judge ruled about what Williams can testify to. I think the reason defense didn’t object much was because a lot of his testimony about chokeholds was allowed by the judge.

@cathyrusson
·
23m
#DerekChauvinTrial - Judge calls for short break. The judge has ordered no camera on 4 witnesses today who are minors or were minors at the time. Alyssa is #3.
19m
#DerekChauvinTrial - The final minor witness is on the stand. Audio is muted while she says and spells her name.

18m
#DerekChauvinTrial - Minor's first name is Kaylin (sp?). Reminder, just is allowing first names. Kaylin says she's 17 yrs old, a senior.

17m
#DerekChauvinTrial - Kaylin (sp?) was is friends with the last witness, Alyssa.

Witness describes asking why the then-officers were still on top of Floyd and saying "he's not doing anything wrong" but tells Eldridge they didn't move.

Eldridge asks about Chauvin, "How would you describe his body movement or body language ...?"

Witness, "Kind of angry ... he was like digging his knee into George Floyd's neck"

Witness tells Eldridge Chauvin grabbed his mace and describes feeling scared.

Eldridge, "Were you concerned about everybody's safety?"

Witness replies, "Yes".

Eldridge asks this 17 year old witness about the moments after the ambulance arrived.

Witness says, "I didn't know for sure if George Floyd was dead until after the fact but I had a gut feeling".

___

Nelson does not cross examine this witness.

They're now on break at the request of the state.

https://twitter.com/callangraynews/status/1376981204222771210?s=21

that was the 4th and final minor witness.

COURT TV described her as witness #7

Last edited:
@Chelly I agree with you about Williams seeming confused or unsure when describing the different chokes during cross exam. It seemed like Nelson gave up because that part got frustrating and also Nelson doesn’t have the background to refute Williams and he can’t get argumentative with him.

I have to read about what the judge ruled about what Williams can testify to. I think the reason defense didn’t object much was because a lot of his testimony about chokeholds was allowed by the judge.
Interesting. Here I was thinking the judge might be waiting for Nelson to object.

When defense attorney gets opportunity for cross examination, should focus on the hand in the pocket testimony.... if he is worth his legal degree. DC did not have his hand in his pocket... although at first glance that is what it looks like. In fact, he is wearing dark gloves and hand is resting on upper thigh.

Are you thinking that he should do that to impeach her testimony that her opinions on what she say should be thrown out?

Thank goodness these little things that many of us also thought at the beginning are documented as right/wrong with the videos.

Not that this little discrepancy should give less credibility in my opinion as their focus was so emotional and laser focused on GF MOO

20m
#DerekChauvinTrial - Prosecutor Eldridge: Why are you here? Kaylin: For #GeorgeFloyd She was in the car with the last witness, Alyssa.

15m
#DerekChauvinTrial - Kaylynn says she didn't see anyone on the sidewalk get violent, "They were just using their voices.
9m
#DerekChauvinTrial - Kaylynn says Chauvin grabbed his mace and started shaking it toward the crowd. She says she was scared of him. See attached VIDEO of Chauvin pulling out his mace.
Defense does not cross-examine Kaylynn and she is excused. Earlier, she circled herself in this pic

8m
#DerekChauvinTrial - State apologizes to the judge saying they need a little time "to move people around". Judge takes another break while waiting for next state witness.

Are you thinking that he should do that to impeach her testimony that her opinions on what she say should be thrown out?

Thank goodness these little things that many of us also thought at the beginning are documented as right/wrong with the videos.

Not that this little discrepancy should give less credibility in my opinion as their focus was so emotional and laser focused on GF MOO
IMO a good defense attorney needs to cast doubt on witness testimony. If he can prove her wrong about the hand in the pocket testimony, how credible is the rest of her testimony, especially as it relates to the increased pressure of the knee that she perceived.

Now testifying is a witness who was 17 at the time. She believes Chauvin put more weight on George Floyd by lifting his foot and putting his hand in his pocket.

This teen witness also shot a video, similar to the FB video, and they are showing it while she testifies -- synced and placed on top of the overhead MPD camera.

Exv7biTWQAc7cFx

This new video is from just a slightly different angle -- and it does perhaps give a clearer view of Chauvin's placement. After listening to the prior testimony involving chokes, the jury might be looking closely at that:

Exv76nAWYAk0xkb.png

Witness: I kind of knew.

Prosecutor Erin Eldridge: Knew what?

Witness: That he was dead or not breathing.

https://twitter.com/louraguse/status/1376967101064286210?s=21

Just my opinion, but I have a few observations from the picture of GF in the photo above.
It appears that the fact that GF is handcuffed behind his back, combined with the size of his upper body, possible limited shoulder mobility, places his neck in even more danger. Perhaps this positioning (known to be dangerous in law enforcement for years IMO), constricted blood flow to the left (down) side of Mr Floyd's neck, as well as the more direct pressure from Chauvin on the right side. I'm mentioning this because
1) I'm curious and
2) I'm wondering if the defence will bring the one vs both side of the neck issue up after their questioning of Mr Williams.

ETA: While it seems that there has been some debate (from my online searches) about the exact dangers of positional asphyxia, I wanted to add this link, to demonstrate that the issue has IMO been known about for years amongst many in LE. I struggle to understand how any of the officers were not aware of the potential dangers of Mr Floyd being held in that position for that time. Again, all IMO.
Chicago Police 1999 Training Bulletin on Positional Asphyxia

Edit 2) Guidelines from Kent police in the UK:
Positional asphyxia SoP (O43j)

Last edited:

I also thought his hand was in his pocket due to the glove and pant color being similar. It's possible the witness saw the same illusion?

If I'm the defense I'm bringing it up because he needs every little thing in light of the damning video. He's missing it IMHO.

Not sure if others are watching this via Court TV but the presenter just said "little inconsistency" with regards to the last witness stating the officers checked the pulse multiple times vs her previous statement that they didn't check GF's pulse. Not sure I would call that a "little inconsistency" ...May be something the defense comes back to perhaps...

ETA: Witness did manage to get in a comment that implied the multiple times statement was somewhat coerced.

No doubt he was a good witness for the prosecution, but I found it ironic that Williams does these type of holds in his profession, and several in his profession have suffered severe brain trauma themselves. I believe some of them have actually died, iirc.

Is it acceptable in this sport to do these dangerous choke holds?

I've tried to watch a couple of them, but it was too violent for me.

Imoo, it's a barbaric sport, but that's only my personal opinion.

Jmho

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member