GUILTY MO - Hailey Owens, 10, Springfield, 18 Feb 2014 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I don't remember ever seeing any articles that said he was a gym teacher, only a coach of football or a coach of boys sports.

Me, neither. Today was the first time I saw that article (where the Sochi competitor said her niece had him for gym class). Maybe he was a sub that day...

According to casenet today the media coordinator filed new papers to request photo and video coverage for the upcoming prelim, etc. Seems he worded this one different to cover all future hearings. And he made sure he said basically whatever date they may be changed to. Guess he's tired of the do-overs.

Not that it probably matters, but I'm no longer positive CW lived at the Mirabeau address in 1993. His father's name is the only one on the record for that property in 1993, and while I believe JW had multiple rental properties that CW may have sometimes occupied (including Mirabeau), in rechecking the records, I don't for sure if CW stayed there. Sometimes CW's name is listed on his parents' property record even though he is not owner or permanent resident of that property (eg. CW's name is listed on the public records at the Ash Grove property in 1993. That could be because he was living there right after his Dec. 1992 graduation, prior to whatever he did/wherever he lived right after that, in 1993). But I don't see CW's name on public record as occupying or owning the residence at Mirabeau.

I did find an address on public record for CW for 1998 - 2002, which coincides with his starting work at Springfield Public Schools:

1101 ½ E Cherokee St, Springfield, MO, 65807

I'm curious about his whereabouts & job situation between graduation Jan 1993 and August 1998 (his start with SPS), and wondering now if he was out of state.

According to case.net, both CW's father and brother used the Mirabeau address between 1990 and 1995. Could it possibly be that the family resided at that address for a period of time?

According to case.net, both CW's father and brother used the Mirabeau address between 1990 and 1995. Could it possibly be that the family resided at that address for a period of time?

Possibly (I've been considering it their in-town address, at least at that period of time). The Ash Grove address is first listed on public records for JW for 1993/1994 (that first a post office box). I got the impression they moved out to Ash Grove after JW's mom's death and CW's graduation from SMSU. Since they've been raising Fox Trotter horses for awhile, I'm pretty sure the Ash Grove one has been JW's primary family residence, though.

I saw a local newscast a day or two after she was found, and a parent of one of her friends in the neighborhood said they had seen Woods in the neighborhood several times before Hailey was taken. They said he approached her daughter sometime before taking Hailey. Has this already been mentioned in one of the threads? I don't recall seeing it mentioned in the first, and I'm not up to date on the others.

I posted about seeing this newscast as well, but I have not been able to find a video of it. Just the name of the lady that said those things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Question??
I just got my weekly Globe and they had an article about this case and said her body was dismembered... :tantrum: Is this true? I haven't seen anyone post a link to the autopsy yet. I sure hope NOT!!

TIA!

Question??
I just got my weekly Globe and they had an article about this case and said her body was dismembered... :tantrum: Is this true? I haven't seen anyone post a link to the autopsy yet. I sure hope NOT!!

TIA!

Dear God! I don't see that article online but I do find a blog from 2/20/14, Frederick Leatherman Law Blog, which states she was dismembered. I think it's all speculation at this point. IMO, it's some journalist making that assumption because she was found in "two" bags, rather than double-bagged. I pray it's not true.

I have read the search warrants and there was nothing taken in the search warrants that could have or would have been used to do that. And if that were the case they would have confiscated whatever used. So in my opinion, somebody is just trying to sell more papers. JMO

the attorney blogger whose site I believe TOS prevents me from linking features a paragraph at the bottom of the blog discussing alleged dismemberment stating that he was erroneous and that he jumped to teh wrong conclusion about the two bags meaning dismembered.

A google search for Hailey's name with dismembered brought up his site and that is where I found the correction which was added alter.

Dear God! I don't see that article online but I do find a blog from 2/20/14, Frederick Leatherman Law Blog, which states she was dismembered. I think it's all speculation at this point. IMO, it's some journalist making that assumption because she was found in "two" bags, rather than double-bagged. I pray it's not true.

Yes, I remember reading that! I too think the Globe mis-read that and "thought" - oh, dismembered....

ALSO!!

HOW can he plead Not Guilty, if they found a dead body in HIS basement?? And he matches the description of the kidnapper?? I just don't understand that??!!

:wave:

the attorney blogger whose site I believe TOS prevents me from linking features a paragraph at the bottom of the blog discussing alleged dismemberment stating that he was erroneous and that he jumped to teh wrong conclusion about the two bags meaning dismembered.

A google search for Hailey's name with dismembered brought up his site and that is where I found the correction which was added alter.

Thanks, tlcya. I thought we had flushed the dismemberment theory down the tubes very quickly. I didn't read down to the bottom of his blog to see his correction.

Preliminary hearing set for man accused of abducting, killing 10-year-old girl

KMOV - St. Louis, MO

Posted on March 10, 2014 at 10:43 AM

SPRINGFIELD, Mo. - A preliminary hearing date is now set for Craig Michael Wood, the middle-school football coach accused of kidnapping and killing a 10-year-old girl in Springfield, Mo.

A judge last week scheduled Wood’s preliminary hearing for 9 a.m. April 2 at the Greene County Courthouse. Wood remains jailed without bond. The purpose of a preliminary hearing is to determine if there is enough evidence for a case to go to trial in the death of fourth-grader Hailey Owens.

Read more:

http://www.kmov.com/news/local/Prel...cting-killing-10-year-old-girl-249292341.html

It infuriates me that these child killers still have rights!! He should get the same rights he gave to hailey... None!!!! A preliminary hearing to see if there is enough evidence to go ahead with a trial.. Money wasted! Not guilty plea equals more wasted time and money. It must be so horrible for these victims families to go through the lengthy aftermath to get justice for such blatantly guilty people!!

Rant over.

I'm so sorry this happened to you Hailey, I'm so sorry that such devious people lurk in our world xxxx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, I remember reading that! I too think the Globe mis-read that and "thought" - oh, dismembered....

ALSO!!

HOW can he plead Not Guilty, if they found a dead body in HIS basement?? And he matches the description of the kidnapper?? I just don't understand that??!!

:wave:

"Not Guilty" doesn't necessarily mean his defense team will try to say he didn't do it. It usually just means they feel they'll have a better chance of lenient sentencing before a jury. Bold gamble, IMO, especially for a crime of this nature. I am consoled by the fact that it was probably a foolish gamble, and that if taking the plea meant taking the DP off the table, he's certainly increased his chances of getting it now. :twocents:

It appears that CMW no longer has a public defender. The defense attorney filed the entry into court on Friday. Do not know if paid or pro bono. I suppose he also could be "court appointed" in that if in fact this going to be "death penalty" trial I believe there has to be a DP qualified attorney to represent him. I could be wrong.

"03/14/2014 Entry of Appearance Filed
Entry of Appearance; Electronic Filing Certificate of Service. /MNM
Filed By: PATRICK JOSEPH BERRIGAN
On Behalf Of: CRAIG MICHAEL WOOD"

according to: mo.gov/casenet a public website-you must enter CMW's name for info

Mr. Berrigan's website:
http://www.kctriallawyers.com/new_page_1.htm

he certainly seems qualified. I am glad. I want no ineffective counsel claims down the road.

03/14/2014 Motion Filed
Motion to Record or Transcribe All Associate Court Proceedings; Electronic Filing Certificate of Service. FILED. /KDG
On Behalf Of: CRAIG MICHAEL WOOD

Motion for Discovery
Motion for Discovery Prior to Preliminary Hearing; Electronic Filing Certificate of Service. /MNM

Motion for Discovery
Request for Discovery; Electronic Filing Certificate of Service. FILED. /KDG

This was also filed electronically in MO court on Friday. Seems like defense attorney is getting busy. I hope prosecutors have discovery ready so as to not cause another delay.

You know what is sad to me? The fact that an attorney would have to file a motion requesting that hearings be transcribed.

I have found this to be the case in my area as well.

many years ago I used to assume it was like on tv shows, if there was a hearing there was a court reporter there transcribing every word. but in reality in some districts/regions that is NOT a given unless specifically requested.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amakur
Back