Found Deceased MO - Toni Anderson, 20, North Kansas City, 15 Jan 2017 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Going back to "news" sources and found this from KWCH 12:

"Kansas City police say the GPS tracking device installed in Toni's car has not helped in the search. Officers say the device tracks the car's speed, not its location."

That's huge, as it sounds like the device is only use to pull speed info post-accident, so there is was no nefarious "disabling" of the device.

That leaves the phone ping - was that a fabrication of Pete Jr.'s? If so, then there's your suspect.

"Kansas City police say the GPS tracking device installed in Toni's car has not helped in the search. Officers say the device tracks the car's speed, not its location."

That's huge, as it sounds like the device is only use to pull speed info post-accident, so there is was no nefarious "disabling" of the device.

That leaves the phone ping - was that a fabrication of Pete Jr.'s? If so, then there's your suspect.

I suspect that it did track location, since most newer ones do, but it's immaterial at this point. It was known to be disabled while at the QuikTrip. That determination may have been time based.

Either way, it definitely reports whatever data it collects in real time, or, as you say, there would be no way to determine it was disabled. These things reportedly report when they have been unplugged, so they must have some kind of battery to send out that last bit of info.

So if it just tracks speed and the car stopped with no movement is it possible it was never disabled? No motion no data?

I suspect that it did track location, since most newer ones do, but it's immaterial at this point. It was known to be disabled while at the QuikTrip. That determination may have been time based.

Either way, it definitely reports whatever data it collects in real time, or, as you say, there would be no way to determine it was disabled. These things reportedly report when they have been unplugged, so they must have some kind of battery to send out that last bit of info.

I would imagine that the way they determine it was disabled is that there is likely a constant ping executed at some interval. If that's the case, it wouldn't be any kind of message/info saying "I've been disabled". It'd rather be a lack of a ping being sent or echoed that would indicate that it's been disabled.

Or maybe it's like a breathalyzer it goes off randomly to record the speed and stores it so if it's uploaded to a computer or system for the device it pulls up but you would need the device to show the data? But if you're stopped or the car isn't on it doesn't report anything bc there's no movement or need for a report??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Justice for Susan Winters.

Not having a car found by now makes it more obvious that this was a planned situation, in my opinion. I don't buy that someone was out there fishing for victims on N Burlington less than 2 hours before daylight. I doubt if it was Toni A. typing on her phone all the time. If I had a missing loved one the last thing in the world I would do is open a go fund me page... In those early stages they had an enthused and engaged LE team that is free. That page decision smells.

I have a hard time focusing on this case. It seems fragmented.
Anyway, GPS is GPS, like Lojack
http://www.lojack.com/

Sounds like she had something like this:

Snapshot is a voluntary discount program in which drivers can save money on their car insurance by sharing a picture of their driving habits with us. ... The device records and sends the driving data to Progressive, and we use that information to calculate their rate.

How does Progressive's Snapshot work? What are the things Snapshot can/does measure?
https://www.quora.com/How-does-Prog...What-are-the-things-Snapshot-can-does-measure

Are you familiar with the case they mentioned in the first paragraph? The "parents" (if you want to call those horrible people that) actually worked a job that was located in the caves, which is how they had access.

Here's a link if you aren't familiar: http://www.kshb.com/news/crime/kans...s-out-kids-never-in-danger-now-with-their-dad

It sounds misleading, like they just randomly walked into one of the caves and put their kid there, when really they had access because of their employment. Horrible nonetheless.

That does not sit well with me. :thinking:

Ugh, that's just awful. Where were her parents?! This girl was acting WAY too old for her age in my opinion. :(

I find so much to be disconcerting "nowadays". I hate social media, and that children are exposed to EVERYTHING.
I am so glad I do not have to be a parent now. My son is 36, hopefully past all this horrible nonsense.

I don't think I could be a parent now. :(

:moo:

OK, so I see where LE did mention that GPS was turned off. Of course, this could still mean the vehicle was parked and has not been restarted. What a strange, strange case.

I think that more people need to spend less time analyzing the time of text, missing posters, and other theories - take their eyes off the screen, and look around today on their drive to work...

The car is missing - so either she picked up a stranger, a client, or was making a deal, but that's the only way the car could go missing. Or multiple people were involved.

So today, anywhere you drive, look at every black car in a parking lot and look for the GAX on the license plate. Finding the car will be the next clue in this case - in my opinion.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but LE hasn't stated it's missing nor that they're looking for it. They could very well have it.

I find so much to be disconcerting "nowadays". I hate social media, and that children are exposed to EVERYTHING.
I am so glad I do not have to be a parent now. My son is 36, hopefully past all this horrible nonsense.

I am fortunate to know good parents with good kids - this type of behavior doesn't have to be accepted and condoned.

There's an incongruity surrounding Toni's Ford Focus and its data collection device, and the notion it was disabled.

1.) The 2014 Ford Focus is not on the list of vehicles with a factory-equipped EDR (Event Data Recorder)

2.) Even if it was, it's essentially impossible to disable, since an EDR is built into a vehicle's Electronic Control Module (ECM). In other words, there is no "off" switch.

3.) The most sophisticated EDR does not track or store data related to audio, video or GPS location.

Conclusion: Unless the EDR referred to in various posts was some sort of after-market device (highly unlikely), any reference to it being disabled is inaccurate.

I am close to the same age as your son and if/when I have kids, they will have limits on what they can and cannot do on social media, along with how they use technology. And I will plan on teaching them why technology is a gift, but also a danger. I work in the technology industry so they won't be able to get away with too much. Plus, I'm a snoop. I can find out a lot of things online. One of the benefits of being young enough to grow up with internet in my living room but old enough to still have a healthy fear of what dangers it has.

There's an incongruity surrounding Toni's Ford Focus and its data collection device, and the notion it was disabled.

1.) The 2014 Ford Focus is not on the list of vehicles with a factory-equipped EDR (Event Data Recorder)

2.) Even if it was, it's essentially impossible to disable, since an EDR is built into a vehicle's Electronic Control Module (ECM). In other words, there is no "off" switch.

3.) The most sophisticated EDR does not track or store data related to audio, video or GPS location.

Conclusion: Unless the EDR referred to in various posts was some sort of after-market device (highly unlikely), any reference to it being disabled is inaccurate.

It has been widely reported in the media that Toni's parents said her vehicle had a tracking device for insurance purposes. These are after-market devices that plug into the OBD-II (service) port in your vehicle, which is usually located under the dash.

It has also been widely reported that according to police the device last transmitted from the QuikTrip.

I have an 11 year old boy and 9 year old girl- along with 4 nephews ages: 14, 11, 9, and 7- and it is INSANE the amount of social media, YouTube, and other technology they're exposed to regardless if it's monitored or not. My kids and 3 youngest nephews don't have social media, but some of their friends do, and unfortunately our son isn't allowed to hang out with one friend bc his parents don't monitor what he was doing on Google. It's exhausting bc I constantly feel like I'm snooping, but I check their messages and YouTube searches. I'd like my children to have their innocence as long as possible!

This is kind of OT, but it goes. I also hate how times-obviously-have changed and that there is a certain "fear" letting your child play outside. And that's bc we constantly have technology showing us all the bad crap out there. And I'm not a hovering parent but this weekend my kids/nephews were outside and went to the neighborhood park without letting me know and didn't answer their phones. I knew nothing would happen but for that split second until they called back my mind raced. :( I hate it.

Sorry for the tangent

Justice for Susan Winters.

I am close to the same age as your son and if/when I have kids, they will have limits on what they can and cannot do on social media, along with how they use technology. And I will plan on teaching them why technology is a gift, but also a danger. I work in the technology industry so they won't be able to get away with too much. Plus, I'm a snoop. I can find out a lot of things online. One of the benefits of being young enough to grow up with internet in my living room but old enough to still have a healthy fear of what dangers it has.

It's a full time job keeping up with technology with my clan. They create spam accounts, Snapchat is the baby child of Satan IMO, learning how to screw with GPS on phone, and hidden files and folders ... ugh!!!... and my lads are actually good ...but they are teens!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member