Found Deceased MT - Katelynn Berry, 26, last seen @ home, suspicious, Sidney, 21 Dec 2021 *Reward*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
For those who haven't looked at the satellite view, 1100 feet NE puts the location, depending on how you measure from the shop, at least several hundred feet into the field. If the disappearance was on Dec 21, by the time searching began, decomposition and insect activity was already advanced and a number of days showed snow on the weather report. I'm not surprised that a possible drone search didn't find her then, but a more thorough foot search did yesterday.

I’m really struggling with this location and have been staring at the Google map view for ages without really getting anywhere. If you understand the various locations mentioned (her home, location of body etc) would you be so kind as to mark up an image and share? Would be ever so grateful!

I’m really struggling with this location and have been staring at the Google map view for ages without really getting anywhere. If you understand the various locations mentioned (her home, location of body etc) would you be so kind as to mark up an image and share? Would be ever so grateful!
I’m glad I’m not the only one. I’m completely lost. I can find the town pump on the map but I’m not even certain where her home was, or where she was found.

hqdefault.jpg

Unfortunately, this view is not directly overhead, if you see the red dot, that is actually a little north of the Berry property. The green field (which is now brownish) to the right is where the remains were found. I would guesstimate, about in the center, above that v shape at the lower end of the field. In an overhead view, it is NE, it's skewed looking at it from this angle. If you go to a google satellite view, realize it is several years old, and lacks the back fence, lacks the fence along the power lines. The best way to see where her apartment/shop is, is to just look at the powerlines on the west side of the street, on the north side of the shop. Unfortunately, Google never did a street view, common in rural areas.

Last edited:
hqdefault.jpg

Unfortunately, this view is not directly overhead, if you see the red dot, that is actually a little north of the Berry property. The green field (which is now brownish) to the right is where the remains were found. I would guesstimate, about in the center, above that v shape at the lower end of the field. In an overhead view, it is NE, it's skewed looking at it from this angle. If you go to a google satellite view, realize it is several years old, and lacks the back fence, lacks the fence along the power lines. The best way to see where her apartment/shop is, is to just look at the powerlines on the west side of the street, on the north side of the shop. Unfortunately, Google never did a street view, common in rural areas.

Thank you! It helps but I’m still not getting it. I think the problem is that I can’t find any power lines to start following and the lines of trees don’t match up for me either. If we call the gate the “front” there’s a ditch and then open land to the Town Pump buildings (which must have been built post-Google image) then I look at the Williston video from the “back” and there’s a sparse line or two of trees and another ditch between where he is and her apartment. I can’t make out where on the road he’s standing going by the angle of the road or the buildings.

I feel stupid. I’m normally fairly decent at this stuff too.

Thank you! It helps but I’m still not getting it. I think the problem is that I can’t find any power lines to start following and the lines of trees don’t match up for me either. If we call the gate the “front” there’s a ditch and then open land to the Town Pump buildings (which must have been built post-Google image) then I look at the Williston video from the “back” and there’s a sparse line or two of trees and another ditch between where he is and her apartment. I can’t make out where on the road he’s standing going by the angle of the road or the buildings.

I feel stupid. I’m normally fairly decent at this stuff too.
The reporter made it worse, he is on the farm access road that is to the right of the house with the round pool. You have to zoom in a little to see the power lines.

The reporter made it worse, he is on the farm access road that is to the right of the house with the round pool. You have to zoom in a little to see the power lines.

By jove, I think I’ve got it! Thanks very much for your help.

So her gate at the front was open but she was found a relatively short distance from the back of her property. I wonder if the neighbours had any useful camera footage? It’s not as isolated as I expected when I learned that she lived in an industrial unit. Looks like there’s other people living very close by.

By jove, I think I’ve got it! Thanks very much for your help.

So her gate at the front was open but she was found a relatively short distance from the back of her property. I wonder if the neighbours had any useful camera footage? It’s not as isolated as I expected when I learned that she lived in an industrial unit. Looks like there’s other people living very close by.

The gate is at the back of the property, it's the access to the Town Pump. In the video with the father, I could see no gate at the street side of the property, where the vehicle with its headlights on was parked. It will be hard to envision where exactly the apartment is, because, an addition was built, extending towards the power lines and it, and the stairs, are missing from the satellite view.
East is to the right on the satellite view, over to the very green field.

I don’t have a solid theory at the moment but I do think it’s strange that she wasn’t found sooner when she was so close to home, even taking the snow into consideration. I wonder if she was left there some time after the drones went up for a look.

I don’t have a solid theory at the moment but I do think it’s strange that she wasn’t found sooner when she was so close to home, even taking the snow into consideration. I wonder if she was left there some time after the drones went up for a look.

Drones would have to had flown close to the ground and in a very difficult to achieve grid pattern to find a body, if it could at all, after it snowed. (I doubt they had sophisticated, programable/computerized drones).
Assuming the victim died on or about Dec 21st, I doubt that someone moved (an advanced) decomposing body into the field after early January. But we will soon have more information from the coroner.

Drones would have to had flown close to the ground and in a very difficult to achieve grid pattern to find a body, if it could at all, after it snowed. (I doubt they had sophisticated, programable/computerized drones).
Assuming the victim died on or about Dec 21st, I doubt that someone moved (an advanced) decomposing body into the field after early January. But we will soon have more information from the coroner.

That’s the thing, we don’t know that she actually died on that date. Like you say, the coroner will shed light on that.

For those who haven't looked at the satellite view, 1100 feet NE puts the location, depending on how you measure from the shop, at least several hundred feet into the field. If the disappearance was on Dec 21, by the time searching began, decomposition and insect activity was already advanced and a number of days showed snow on the weather report. I'm not surprised that a possible drone search didn't find her then, but a more thorough foot search did yesterday.

Insect activity in winter, in Montana? I do not think so.

Anyone have a theory as to what happened? I have one but I don't think it will be well received. So...........I'll wait for someone else to post it and then enthusiastically agree with them.
I’d love to hear your theory. I don’t have one yet. Question I have though as I’m still a little confused about locations- would her route to the gas station take her on that access road the reporter was on?

Does anyone have a picture or the link the video that shows her apt complex or building.. I’m confused as to what it actually was

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spamyspam
Back