GUILTY Nationwide College Cheating Scandal - Actresses, Business Owners Charged, Mar 2019 #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This case, specifically for Loughlin and her arrogant husband, along with the Smollet case, are so ripe for schadenfreude. For those unfamiliar with that great German word, here is the definition:

Schadenfreude - Pleasure derived by someone from another person's misfortune.

I can't wait to see her go down. If that makes me a petty human being, so be it.

you and me both-- i dont mind being considered petty either!!!!

This case, specifically for Loughlin and her arrogant husband, along with the Smollet case, are so ripe for schadenfreude. For those unfamiliar with that great German word, here is the definition:

I can't wait to see her go down. If that makes me a petty human being, so be it.

Schadenfreude .... love this Kittybunny!! YES, call me petty ... LL/MG's dripping elitist culture along with Smollett's total smugness and arrogance have me a little triggered!!

:eek:...Not petty - fed up. Now defense wants trial in Feb 2121.

Return to the Convent, by Eduardo Zamacois y Zabala, 1868. A group of monks laugh while a lone monk struggles with a donkey.
Schadenfreude German: (listen); lit. 'harm-joy') is the experience of pleasure, joy, or self-satisfaction that comes from learning of or witnessing the troubles, failures, or humiliation of another.

Last edited:
What type of jury helps Loughlin?
  • Brand and reputation management expert Eric Schiffer told the Deseret News in an email that Loughlin’s ideal jury would be people who know her from television.

• Schiffer said “Generation X and baby boomers who have been conditioned to trust her TV brand, which is opposite in character that arises from the current set of charges,” would be the ideal jury.

• “She will want to avoid moderate to low-income jurors who have kids that resent tactics where the rich get to work the system at the expense of average Americans,” he said.
  • Ok. I get it, only rich Xers and Boomers who cheat their kids into college. Good luck with that nonsense.

My parents wouldn't even help pay for my books thru high school. I had to drag a lawnmower around the neighborhood knocking door to door for my education fund.

My parents wouldn't even help pay for my books thru high school. I had to drag a lawnmower around the neighborhood knocking door to door for my education fund.

I was fortunate enough to have parents who were able to afford it, back then, when it was affordable, but I worked my butt OFF to GET IN. Throughout four years of high school, studying and tons of extra-curriculars - swim team, dance team, Honor Society, choir, theater, you name it. None of this having myself photoshopped onto a crew team NONSENSE! Just hard work, not to mention the whole application process which is ridiculous! I spent so much time on my essays.

I was fortunate enough to have parents who were able to afford it, back then, when it was affordable, but I worked my butt OFF to GET IN. Throughout four years of high school, studying and tons of extra-curriculars - swim team, dance team, Honor Society, choir, theater, you name it. None of this having myself photoshopped onto a crew team NONSENSE! Just hard work, not to mention the whole application process which is ridiculous! I spent so much time on my essays.

They could afford it, just chose not to.
I had already been bailing hay/oats and detassling corn for 2 summers during middle school in "80-81".

They just never offered and I just never asked.
You learn the value of a dollar pretty quick when that dollar isn't given to you.

What type of jury helps Loughlin?
  • Brand and reputation management expert Eric Schiffer told the Deseret News in an email that Loughlin’s ideal jury would be... “Generation X and baby boomers who have been conditioned to trust her TV brand, which is opposite in character that arises from the current set of charges,” would be the ideal jury.

The past generation or two has greatly increased egalitarian sentiments in the USA. Thus, most generation X ers are not going to be sympathetic to wealth or the idea that "rank has privelages.

But, some older baby boomers maybe tacitly accepting of the concept. Then add politically conservative baby boomer who might not be big fans of affirmative action programs: "Affirmative action programs exist for some and not others. These parents created their own affirmative action program". Likewise, baby boomer are more likely to support "blood is thicker than water" ideals. This might extend to uhmm.... buying special consideration.

In short, my amateur ideal juror shopping list would be:

- White, older conservative baby boomers who have sufficient income not to be inherently turned off by wealth. They are opposed to affirmative action.

- Are also willing to support- at least to some degree, that rank has privelages (so long as the privelages are not taken too far).

- These jurors would have children of their own with degrees from standard state schools. I would not want anybody with children who academically earned their way into elite schools. The defense presentation would include: "If you could have, would you have done the same for your children....?"

Last edited:
The past generation or two has greatly increased egalitarian sentiments in the USA. Thus, most generation X ers are not going to be sympathetic to wealth or the idea that "rank has privelages.

But, some older baby boomers maybe tacitly accepting of the concept. Then add politically conservative baby boomer who might not be big fans of affirmative action programs: "Affirmative action programs exist for some and not others. These parents created their own affirmative action program". Likewise, baby boomer are more likely to support "blood is thicker than water" ideals. This might extend to uhmm.... buying special consideration.

In short, my amateur ideal juror shopping list would be:

- White, older conservative baby boomers who have sufficient income not to be inherently turned off by wealth. They are opposed to affirmative action.

- Are also willing to support- at least to some degree, that rank has privelages (so long as the privelages are not taken too far).

- These jurors would have children of their own with degrees from standard state schools. I would not want anybody with children who academically earned their way into elite schools. The defense presentation would include: "If you could have, would you have done the same for your children....?"
Some jurors get on juries but secretly
already have their minds made up. If just one juror decides guilt or innocence beforehand, that one juror can cause a misstrial.

Can you imagine a misstrial and having to do it all over again?

Like say someone wants to see "Aunt Becky" get off but the rest of the jury sees her as guilty but because of one juror they wouldn't be able to convict.

Same the other way around, one juror could be wanting to send a strong message to the "over privileged elite"and not budge in voting guilty.

After Martha Stewart was convicted a juror said something to the effect that her conviction was a win for the average person against a rich person who cheats the stock market. Stewart accused the jury of being prejudiced against the wealthy.

I can picture this happening with a juror in Lori's trial, a juror wanting a "victory" for all the kids who don't get admitted against the rich who don't care about them and take greedy advantage.

Lori saw all those adoring fans outside of court waiting for her and maybe she thinks her jury will be one big "studio audience."

Just opinion and speculation.

The materials include “FBI 302 and IRS reports of interviews” with Singer, similar reports of interviews with employees and former employees of USC, and extraction reports for phones used by Singer, who secretly recorded conversations with parents after turning snitch.

In addition, the feds plan to turn over more materials by March 13, including the contents of Singer’s Google Drive accounts, a video and related documentation regarding two cooperating witnesses, handwritten notes created by Singer, a written script that Singer used during recorded calls, e-mails and texts from someone the government expects to testify at trial, cooperation agreements with Singer and others, and “T-III telephone calls and text messages not previously produced, including a recorded call between Singer and government agents,” the filing said.

The materials include “FBI 302 and IRS reports of interviews” with Singer, similar reports of interviews with employees and former employees of USC, and extraction reports for phones used by Singer, who secretly recorded conversations with parents after turning snitch.

In addition, the feds plan to turn over more materials by March 13, including the contents of Singer’s Google Drive accounts, a video and related documentation regarding two cooperating witnesses, handwritten notes created by Singer, a written script that Singer used during recorded calls, e-mails and texts from someone the government expects to testify at trial, cooperation agreements with Singer and others, and “T-III telephone calls and text messages not previously produced, including a recorded call between Singer and government agents,” the filing said.
Thanks for all you do keeping this site going
@JerseyGirl

Lori Loughlin’s trial judge has a unique reputation. Here’s what we know
  • According to USA Today: Gorton “has a reputation inside the Boston federal courthouse as a stern, earnest, no-nonsense judge with a record of handing down tougher sentences than others on the bench in the U.S. District of Massachusetts. Tough but fair, most lawyers say.”
  • USA Today said: “Not only has he given three of the longest sentences so far for guilty parents — although still much shorter than what prosecutors sought and many in the public covet — he’s candidly let each know he considers their conduct despicable.”

Can you imagine a misstrial and having to do it all over again?
My guess is that the State would try again. I can see skilled jury profiling. technical legal arguments as to what constitutes mail fraud, mixed with skilled sympathy presentations by the defense leading to mistrials, but not an acquittal.

In the event of a mistrial, the State can up their game as well by assigning a small team of experienced prosecutors who know how to counter defensive techniques. In short, I don't see Loughlin winning in the end.

Lori Loughlin’s trial judge has a unique reputation. Here’s what we know
  • According to USA Today: Gorton “has a reputation inside the Boston federal courthouse as a stern, earnest, no-nonsense judge with a record of handing down tougher sentences than others on the bench in the U.S. District of Massachusetts. Tough but fair, most lawyers say.”
  • he’s candidly let each know he considers their conduct despicable.”
That would make my blood run cold as a defendant. The plea bargain calls for a very nominal punishment.

A formal guilty plea will not impact her career much as a certain number of potential employers already deem her guilty- and most potential employers probably dont really care.

Time to get out while you are ahead...... .

Last edited:
Federal judge to Loughlin, 'Varsity Blues' parents: Trial must go on amid coronavirus delays

PUBLISHED: March 17, 2020 at 3:58 p.m. | UPDATED: March 17, 2020 at 5:00 p.m.
Boston Herald
American Daily Newspaper

Judge Nathaniel Gorton will only make extension exceptions in the “Varsity Blues” case for “good cause.”

“This judicial officer hereby determines that all established pre-trial deadlines in the above-captioned case continue to apply,” Gorton’s brief order said. “Any motion for an extension of time will be considered on an individualized basis and granted only for good cause shown.”

Gorton has sought a quick resolution to the high-profile case charging parents with paying six-figure sums to arrange fake test scores and athletic admission slots at prestigious colleges for their children.

Loughlin’s trial is scheduled to begin in late September.

Last edited:
https://www.latimes.com/california/...s-scandal-coronavirus-early-release?_amp=true

Agustin Huneeus Jr., whose family owns several wineries in Napa, was discharged on March 17, two weeks before his five-month term was up, after U.S. District Judge Indira Talwani found that “extraordinary and compelling reasons” justified the early release.

Incarcerated in Lompoc, Devin Sloane, whose four-month prison term will end April 1, asked Talwani for similar relief and was denied. Even as she turned down the request, Talwani suggested that the process prisoners must follow to seek early release is ill-equipped to address a fast-moving crisis forced on the courts and prison system by the coronavirus outbreak.

Sloane, she wrote, failed to demonstrate he had appealed to the warden at Lompoc and exhausted all administrative means of securing an early release before appealing to the court. Nor had he shown a “life-threatening condition” that would allow him to bypass those avenues and go directly to the court, she wrote.

The first trial — which includes Lori Loughlin, her husband, J. Mossimo Giannulli, and six other parents — remains scheduled to begin Oct. 5.

MARCH 26, 2020

Lori Loughlin, co-defendants ask judge to toss charges in college admissions scandal

Lori Loughlin and 13 other parents charged in the college admissions scandal asked a judge on Wednesday to dismiss the fraud, bribery and money laundering charges lodged against them, arguing that federal prosecutors in Boston violated their rights and broke judicial rules by withholding for 16 months notes taken by the scam’s ringleader, William “Rick” Singer.

MARCH 26, 2020

Lori Loughlin, co-defendants ask judge to toss charges in college admissions scandal

Lori Loughlin and 13 other parents charged in the college admissions scandal asked a judge on Wednesday to dismiss the fraud, bribery and money laundering charges lodged against them, arguing that federal prosecutors in Boston violated their rights and broke judicial rules by withholding for 16 months notes taken by the scam’s ringleader, William “Rick” Singer.
“Rosen acknowledged he should have disclosed the messages earlier, but insisted “there is nothing in these notes that suggests what they were doing is legitimate. Absolutely nothing.
This case is a bribery case about payments to a program that Singer characterized as a donation,” Rosen said. “It was a quid pro quo. Pay the money. Their kids would be recruited, guaranteeing them effective admission for a sport they either didn’t play well or, in the Giannullis’ case, they didn’t play at all.”

https://www.latimes.com/california/...s-scandal-coronavirus-early-release?_amp=true

Agustin Huneeus Jr., whose family owns several wineries in Napa, was discharged on March 17, two weeks before his five-month term was up, after U.S. District Judge Indira Talwani found that “extraordinary and compelling reasons” justified the early release.

Incarcerated in Lompoc, Devin Sloane, whose four-month prison term will end April 1, asked Talwani for similar relief and was denied. Even as she turned down the request, Talwani suggested that the process prisoners must follow to seek early release is ill-equipped to address a fast-moving crisis forced on the courts and prison system by the coronavirus outbreak.

Sloane, she wrote, failed to demonstrate he had appealed to the warden at Lompoc and exhausted all administrative means of securing an early release before appealing to the court. Nor had he shown a “life-threatening condition” that would allow him to bypass those avenues and go directly to the court, she wrote.

The first trial — which includes Lori Loughlin, her husband, J. Mossimo Giannulli, and six other parents — remains scheduled to begin Oct. 5.

Interesting, I wonder what the “extraordinary and compelling reasons” were.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DSMEITH1