NC NC - Faith Hedgepeth, 19, UNC student, Chapel Hill, 7 Sept 2012 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone. I’m new to this thread, but have followed this case on and off for years (I live in the area). I joined websleuths a couple of months ago and noticed there was a thread on it, so I’ve read through it over the last day or so.

I’ve noticed a lot of suspicion directed at Kerana Rosarioin this thread, which I find odd, considering the police don’t view her as a suspect. I don’t think she had anything to do with it, because there are certain circles I can’t square with regards to the evidence.

The most common theory regarding Rosario is that she killed Faith in a fit of jealous rage over Brandon Edwards, then called Jordan McCrary to pick her up to give her an alibi, and left the door unlocked to provide a theoretical perp a means of entry to the apartment.

In order to take that theory seriously (the police apparently don’t), I’d like to hear realistic explanations for the following:

The presence of semen on Faith’s body. This almost certainly was left at some point early that morning, and it was apparently left by an unknown Hispanic male outside their circle of friends, so by definition it could not have been a good friend of Karena’s who knew her well enough to help stage a murder.

The matching DNA on the pen and Time-out bag note. This is an additional problem with the above issue. Even if we can take the semen out of the equation by proving that Faith had sex with this unknown male earlier, there’s no reason I can discern that this person would also write that note and leave it in the apartment.

The lack of any evidence that there was a conflict between Faith and Karena. The central tenant of this theory is that Kerana was homicidally angry with Faith. I’ve seen no evidence that this was the case. None of the witness interviews hint at it. The only place I’ve seen any “evidence” for it is in that dubious butt-dial voicemail, in which I can hear almost nothing coherent.

So, is there something I’ve missed that can explain the above?

Hi everyone. I’m new to this thread, but have followed this case on and off for years (I live in the area). I joined websleuths a couple of months ago and noticed there was a thread on it, so I’ve read through it over the last day or so.

I’ve noticed a lot of suspicion directed at Kerana Rosarioin this thread, which I find odd, considering the police don’t view her as a suspect. I don’t think she had anything to do with it, because there are certain circles I can’t square with regards to the evidence.

The most common theory regarding Rosario is that she killed Faith in a fit of jealous rage over Brandon Edwards, then called Jordan McCrary to pick her up to give her an alibi, and left the door unlocked to provide a theoretical perp a means of entry to the apartment.

In order to take that theory seriously (the police apparently don’t), I’d like to hear realistic explanations for the following:

The presence of semen on Faith’s body. This almost certainly was left at some point early that morning, and it was apparently left by an unknown Hispanic male outside their circle of friends, so by definition it could not have been a good friend of Karena’s who knew her well enough to help stage a murder.

The matching DNA on the pen and Time-out bag note. This is an additional problem with the above issue. Even if we can take the semen out of the equation by proving that Faith had sex with this unknown male earlier, there’s no reason I can discern that this person would also write that note and leave it in the apartment.

The lack of any evidence that there was a conflict between Faith and Karena. The central tenant of this theory is that Kerana was homicidally angry with Faith. I’ve seen no evidence that this was the case. None of the witness interviews hint at it. The only place I’ve seen any “evidence” for it is in that dubious butt-dial voicemail, in which I can hear almost nothing coherent.

Welcome! Glad to have you here! I'd love to know your theory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I totally agree with you. I don't think Karena had anything to do with Faith's murder.

There are a couple things that I think are strange and may have explanations that are not being released to the public. The first is the question of why Faith was sleeping in the bedroom. Did the two girls usually share the bedroom, which had one bed? Was it because Faith had a male visitor, and the girls switched off who got to use the bedroom based on who had company? Was it because it was more comfortable and Karena's plan had always been not to spend the night, but when Karena was planning to spend the night, Faith slept on the couch?

The second question I have is why did Karena leave the door unlocked? Was it just a habit because the two girls were casual that way and one or the other had a habit of losing the key (I was like that early in college -- for some reason unable to hang onto my key -- and regularly used my student ID to pick the lock of the house I shared with 20 other students)? Sort of hard to believe that they would be that casual in that apartment complex. Was it because she just forgot and has regretted the error since then? Was it because Faith was in the apartment with someone or multiple people when Karena left, and we just haven't been told that detail because law enforcement wants to keep some of the details close to the vest?

That butt dial is an utter red herring in my opinion. It's like a Rorshach that you can read anything into, but in reality is just a blot of ink on a page. I think Karena loved Faith as much as she says, and what we are hearing on the 911 call is someone in total and utter uncomprehending shock.

There are a couple things that I think are strange and may have explanations that are not being released to the public. The first is the question of why Faith was sleeping in the bedroom. Did the two girls usually share the bedroom, which had one bed? Was it because Faith had a male visitor, and the girls switched off who got to use the bedroom based on who had company? Was it because it was more comfortable and Karena's plan had always been not to spend the night, but when Karena was planning to spend the night, Faith slept on the couch?

The second question I have is why did Karena leave the door unlocked? Was it just a habit because the two girls were casual that way and one or the other had a habit of losing the key (I was like that early in college -- for some reason unable to hang onto my key -- and regularly used my student ID to pick the lock of the house I shared with 20 other students)? Sort of hard to believe that they would be that casual in that apartment complex. Was it because she just forgot and has regretted the error since then? Was it because Faith was in the apartment with someone or multiple people when Karena left, and we just haven't been told that detail because law enforcement wants to keep some of the details close to the vest?
As to the bedroom question, I think it was just an informal understanding between them. It was KR's place, so when they both were home, she got the bed. If KR was out, FH took it. That morning, KR was leaving and not returning, so Faith slept there.

The unlocked door is literally the one thing KR did that raises a red flag for me. It doesn't make sense to leave a door unlocked at night while your friend's in there by herself. But I get past it because I know the police would have raised that question too and she would had to have given a satisfactory answer. It was probably just something simple like you mentioned (one always lost the key), or just a habit they had when one of them was still home. But I think you're absolutely right that she's regretted it ever since.

<snip>....

The unlocked door is literally the one thing KR did that raises a red flag for me. It doesn't make sense to leave a door unlocked at night while your friend's in there by herself. But I get past it because I know the police would have raised that question too and she would had to have given a satisfactory answer. It was probably just something simple like you mentioned (one always lost the key), or just a habit they had when one of them was still home. But I think you're absolutely right that she's regretted it ever since.

I've said before, and will just repeat, that I don't think it that unusual for young people to leave a door unlocked... KR left close to 4am., so it was only a couple of hours 'til sunrise, and they were in a 2nd level, fairly safe apt., in a nice apt. complex -- my guess, they didn't have a lot of worries, and the very fact that KR could even specifically remember that she left the door unlocked indicates it was a common practice at times. (Having said all that, another sleuther once pointed out to me that with KR's possibly-violent, ex-bf living so close by maybe one would expect to her to always lock the door behind her?, so that's another point-of-view).
I too have real doubts that KR was active in the crime, though perhaps she knows more of what happened than she's telling....

I'm not married to the idea of KR being involved, but I'll chime in with the things that keep KR in the realm of possibilities for me.

1. KR appears agitated when leaving Thrill like she's arguing or upset (fast talking and movements).
2. Wording of text from FH's phone to BM after they get home suggests to me that KR was upset or very sad about something.
3. Despite feeling "sick" at Thrill, KR is calling/texting more than one person and ends up getting picked up to go elsewhere. At ~4am.
4. KR was last person reported to have seen FH alive. in general, the last-seen-with person has a higher likelihood of being the perp.
5. KR leaves the door unlocked. in a complex shared with a violent ex-bf who has broken into that apartment before.
6. murder weapon was a bottle in the apartment, reported to have originally been on the kitchen counter. if an intruder enters with intent to murder i can't see them going in without a gun, knife, rope, bat, something. if they enter with intent of sexual assault or something and got more fight than they anticipated, running out to the kitchen for a weapon just seems unlikely. i would expect physical fighting, strangulation, etc.
7. KR found the body. in general, the person discovering the body has a higher likelihood of being the perp.
8. Assuming it is KR on the 911 call (can't recall why but I had a suspicion it is actually MR), it sounds like she's acknowledging each instruction but not really performing any of the steps requested.
9. Per the investigator on the ABC special, KR has been interviewed 10+ times in relation to the crime.
10. KR moved away from the area and either deleted SM or locked it way down. (and I can totally understand these actions may be the result of people theorizing her involvement.)

As you mentioned the weak point of this theory is how male DNA evidence including semen ended up there and has yet to be identified. My best explanation is that a male was requested to help, either to commit the whole murder, finish what had already started, or stage the scene. and that person has so far escaped the investigators' radar. JMO.

I'm not married to the idea of KR being involved, but I'll chime in with the things that keep KR in the realm of possibilities for me.

1. KR appears agitated when leaving Thrill like she's arguing or upset (fast talking and movements).
2. Wording of text from FH's phone to BM after they get home suggests to me that KR was upset or very sad about something.
3. Despite feeling "sick" at Thrill, KR is calling/texting more than one person and ends up getting picked up to go elsewhere. At ~4am.
4. KR was last person reported to have seen FH alive. in general, the last-seen-with person has a higher likelihood of being the perp.
5. KR leaves the door unlocked. in a complex shared with a violent ex-bf who has broken into that apartment before.
6. murder weapon was a bottle in the apartment, reported to have originally been on the kitchen counter. if an intruder enters with intent to murder i can't see them going in without a gun, knife, rope, bat, something. if they enter with intent of sexual assault or something and got more fight than they anticipated, running out to the kitchen for a weapon just seems unlikely. i would expect physical fighting, strangulation, etc.
7. KR found the body. in general, the person discovering the body has a higher likelihood of being the perp.
8. Assuming it is KR on the 911 call (can't recall why but I had a suspicion it is actually MR), it sounds like she's acknowledging each instruction but not really performing any of the steps requested.
9. Per the investigator on the ABC special, KR has been interviewed 10+ times in relation to the crime.
10. KR moved away from the area and either deleted SM or locked it way down. (and I can totally understand these actions may be the result of people theorizing her involvement.)

As you mentioned the weak point of this theory is how male DNA evidence including semen ended up there and has yet to be identified. My best explanation is that a male was requested to help, either to commit the whole murder, finish what had already started, or stage the scene. and that person has so far escaped the investigators' radar. JMO.

100% agree. You wrote beautifully what I have been trying to get down since this AM.

I've said before, and will just repeat, that I don't think it that unusual for young people to leave a door unlocked... KR left close to 4am., so it was only a couple of hours 'til sunrise, and they were in a 2nd level, fairly safe apt., in a nice apt. complex -- my guess, they didn't have a lot of worries, and the very fact that KR could even specifically remember that she left the door unlocked indicates it was a common practice at times. (Having said all that, another sleuther once pointed out to me that with KR's possibly-violent, ex-bf living so close by maybe one would expect to her to always lock the door behind her?, so that's another point-of-view).
I too have real doubts that KR was active in the crime, though perhaps she knows more of what happened than she's telling....

I'm not sure I agree with you about the locking of doors. This was only a few years after the Eve Carson murder, and although I'm not sure we'll ever really know for sure, one version of the story holds that they walked right into her house through her unlocked screen door at 5 AM (the other version holds that she left her house to go print out her paper, which explains why she had her laptop -- which she held up to herself to shield herself from bullets -- with her). Also, Karena had a restraining order against Jones, who was living in the complex. He had already knocked down a locked door. So, we know they had some sort of heightened concern about security. Finally, that complex is sketchy, at least that's what I feel when I go by. It's near the highway, near the stripmall...not in a friendly student residential neighborhood. Still... I don't think the answer to the question of who murdered Faith lies with the unlocked apartment door.

BBM. My read of the call is that Karena did not want to touch her but also did not want to seem uncooperative to the 911 operator. I think Karena knew that everything the 911 operator wanted her to do was totally, totally pointless, and she was recoiling at the idea of touching her friend's dead body. She was repeatedly trying to communicate that level of violence and the amount of blood and came just shy of coming out and saying, "she's dead." She just really, really wanted the police to get there super-stat because she was shocked, terrified, and disgusted by the scene, and she knew that once the police saw Faith, they would know that she was way beyond CPR.

When it's a life and death situation and 911 is telling you to do things for the life of your friend in my opinion being overly concerned about leaving your fingerprints so to speak vs helping is a huge red flag.

My opinion is she's 100% guilty and if she was feeling so sick and been drinking yet still coincidently left with the door unlocked around the same time the murder would have happened... plus I'm not sure if when she finally stopped evading the police for questioning was after she had retained an attorney. Does anyone know the answer to that? I had posted a link to a newstory earlier on stating she was refusing to talk to police for a while.

Anyway, I think there's some reason the cops aren't charging anyone and it may be due to influential people they're hiding behind whether a powerful lawyer, coach or whoever and as a result these kids are living freely while justice never got served in my opinion.

...snipped...

Thanks for your reply. You gave me a lot, but this is the part that I want to dig into and really think through the implications here.

So, first scenario is that KR requested help to commit the entire murder. The first problem with that is it&#8217;s a far cry from a murder committed in a moment of rage; we&#8217;re now talking about KR conspiring to kill FH, which brings in all the same questions you mentioned before about why the rum bottle would have been used. Second, there are no phone records from KR reaching out to this person, just her trying to call BE and later JM. Third, again, the DNA evidence is from someone Rosario does not associate with.

The second scenario is that KR attacked FH and then called someone to help her either finish the murder or stage the scene. The same problems with the phone records and her not knowing the person come into play; just to reiterate, the DNA is from a Hispanic male that she does not know, so it can&#8217;t be someone she knows so intimately that he&#8217;d willingly help her cover up a murder. The other, major problem here is that this person doesn&#8217;t actually help her cover up the murder- he frames himself! He leaves his DNA on the body (think about that one for a minute) and on the Time-out bag and the pen.

My point in examining all this is to show that these aren&#8217;t just weak points in the theory: They are major, potentially fatal flaws in it. Focusing on anything else about Karena Rosario is pointless, IMO, unless the unknown DNA can be explained in a rational way. (I actually thought of one that would explain everything, but it&#8217;s really outlandish, and I don&#8217;t even want to put it out there because I&#8217;m afraid someone will take it seriously.)

My read of the call is that Karena did not want to touch her but also did not want to seem uncooperative to the 911 operator. I think Karena knew that everything the 911 operator wanted her to do was totally, totally pointless, and she was recoiling at the idea of touching her friend's dead body. She was repeatedly trying to communicate that level of violence and the amount of blood and came just shy of coming out and saying, "she's dead." She just really, really wanted the police to get there super-stat because she was shocked, terrified, and disgusted by the scene, and she knew that once the police saw Faith, they would know that she was way beyond CPR.

This is exactly how I interpreted the conversation.

BBM. My read of the call is that Karena did not want to touch her but also did not want to seem uncooperative to the 911 operator. I think Karena knew that everything the 911 operator wanted her to do was totally, totally pointless, and she was recoiling at the idea of touching her friend's dead body. She was repeatedly trying to communicate that level of violence and the amount of blood and came just shy of coming out and saying, "she's dead." She just really, really wanted the police to get there super-stat because she was shocked, terrified, and disgusted by the scene, and she knew that once the police saw Faith, they would know that she was way beyond CPR.

I also agree, 100%. I've actually been on the phone with 911 in what I thought was a imminent life-and-death situation, and I can tell you, there's no script for it. It's rife with opportunities for misunderstandings and miscommunications.

Thanks for your reply. You gave me a lot, but this is the part that I want to dig into and really think through the implications here.

So, first scenario is that KR requested help to commit the entire murder. The first problem with that is it’s a far cry from a murder committed in a moment of rage; we’re now talking about KR conspiring to kill FH, which brings in all the same questions you mentioned before about why the rum bottle would have been used. Second, there are no phone records from KR reaching out to this person, just her trying to call BE and later JM. Third, again, the DNA evidence is from someone Rosario does not associate with.

The second scenario is that KR attacked FH and then called someone to help her either finish the murder or stage the scene. The same problems with the phone records and her not knowing the person come into play; just to reiterate, the DNA is from a Hispanic male that she does not know, so it can’t be someone she knows so intimately that he’d willingly help her cover up a murder. The other, major problem here is that this person doesn’t actually help her cover up the murder- he frames himself! He leaves his DNA on the body (think about that one for a minute) and on the Time-out bag and the pen.

My point in examining all this is to show that these aren’t just weak points in the theory: They are major, potentially fatal flaws in it. Focusing on anything else about Karena Rosario is pointless, IMO, unless the unknown DNA can be explained in a rational way. (I actually thought of one that would explain everything, but it’s really outlandish, and I don’t even want to put it out there because I’m afraid someone will take it seriously.)

How do you know there are no phone records of Karena reaching out to someone else? It was released she had contact with BE and JM. LE hasn't released all the information they have to my knowledge which is why I wondered if you knew something more about the phone records than has been released. TIA!

How do you know there are no phone records of Karena reaching out to someone else? It was released she had contact with BE and JM. LE hasn't released all the information they have to my knowledge which is why I wondered if you knew something more about the phone records than has been released. TIA!

Good point- you've got me. I don&#8217;t have any special knowledge about Faith and Karena&#8217;s phone records. I just know about someone logging Faith&#8217;s profile on Facebook at 3am, the text Faith sent to Brandon, the 4 calls from Karena to Brandon, and the final call from Karena to Justin McCrary. Since that&#8217;s a fairly extensive list of activity, I assumed that this was everything the two of them had done over that time period. You know what they say about assuming, though, right?
OK, so take out the stuff I said about the phone records. Maybe there was more activity that investigators haven't released.

When it's a life and death situation and 911 is telling you to do things for the life of your friend in my opinion being overly concerned about leaving your fingerprints so to speak vs helping is a huge red flag.

As typical in differences of opinion, we agree on the conclusion (that one should render help if possible) but we disagree about the premise. I believe that Faith was way beyond help when Karena called 911, therefore there is no red flag when Karena (presumably) did not perform first aid.

Speaking of the 911 call, one thing I notice is a clear change in KR&#8217;s understanding of the situation. In the first part of the call, she repeatedly says she doesn&#8217;t understand what happened, and she says at one point it looks like FH fell off the bed. The shirt&#8217;s over Faith&#8217;s head, concealing her injury, and KR doesn&#8217;t even know where the blood came from. I think at first, she&#8217;s looking at everything and seeing some sort of accident, and she doesn&#8217;t understand how it could have happened.
I think right after she says that FH is cold, it dawns on her. She notices items in the room that shouldn&#8217;t be there: "There&#8217;s stuff in my room that was not here before." It crosses her mind that someone did this to Faith, and says that to the dispatcher. She takes a fresh look with that thought in mind: "It really does. It looks like someone came in here." She probably notices that Faith is naked from the waist down at this point (she was apparently partially wrapped in the comforter at first): "She&#8217;s not like this at all."
To me, it&#8217;s clear that she&#8217;s scared, because during that part of the transcript, she asks the responders to hurry, or seeks reassurance that they&#8217;re on their way, three different times.

Speaking of the 911 call, one thing I notice is a clear change in KR&#8217;s understanding of the situation. In the first part of the call, she repeatedly says she doesn&#8217;t understand what happened, and she says at one point it looks like FH fell off the bed. The shirt&#8217;s over Faith&#8217;s head, concealing her injury, and KR doesn&#8217;t even know where the blood came from. I think at first, she&#8217;s looking at everything and seeing some sort of accident, and she doesn&#8217;t understand how it could have happened.
I think right after she says that FH is cold, it dawns on her. She notices items in the room that shouldn&#8217;t be there: "There&#8217;s stuff in my room that was not here before." It crosses her mind that someone did this to Faith, and says that to the dispatcher. She takes a fresh look with that thought in mind: "It really does. It looks like someone came in here." She probably notices that Faith is naked from the waist down at this point (she was apparently partially wrapped in the comforter at first): "She&#8217;s not like this at all."
To me, it&#8217;s clear that she&#8217;s scared, because during that part of the transcript, she asks the responders to hurry, or seeks reassurance that they&#8217;re on their way, three different times.

That was my impression, too -- at first she knew something was really, really wrong, but was very confused, almost flooded/dissociative...and then things start to snap into focus as she notices things like the bottle, Faith's missing clothes, etc.

I had something sort of like that happen, when someone tried to steal my car, which had been parked on the top of a parking garage. I got up to the top floor and the car was just randomly in the middle of a lane, not in a parking space...and the door was wide open...and there was a key in the ignition, but the key was for my old car, which had been in the glovebox, and a window was broken...and I just sort of tried to make sense of it for a few moments, had it rolled there? Did the parking break fail? Did I forget to leave it in gear? It took a few moments for me to blink and get my bearings before I realized that someone had tried to steal it. Crime usually isn't where your mind immediately goes.

Speaking of the 911 call, one thing I notice is a clear change in KR’s understanding of the situation. In the first part of the call, she repeatedly says she doesn’t understand what happened, and she says at one point it looks like FH fell off the bed. The shirt’s over Faith’s head, concealing her injury, and KR doesn’t even know where the blood came from. I think at first, she’s looking at everything and seeing some sort of accident, and she doesn’t understand how it could have happened.
I think right after she says that FH is cold, it dawns on her. She notices items in the room that shouldn’t be there: "There’s stuff in my room that was not here before." It crosses her mind that someone did this to Faith, and says that to the dispatcher. She takes a fresh look with that thought in mind: "It really does. It looks like someone came in here." She probably notices that Faith is naked from the waist down at this point (she was apparently partially wrapped in the comforter at first): "She’s not like this at all."
To me, it’s clear that she’s scared, because during that part of the transcript, she asks the responders to hurry, or seeks reassurance that they’re on their way, three different times.

1. I have always thought IMO that it was either not KR on that 911 or it was two...started with KR and then someone else took over the phone

2. I felt like the amount of blood found on the walls would make you immediately realize something was wrong and need help immediately. Caller states " blood is everywhere"

3. "It really does" leads me to believe the caller is trying to point away from themselves as the perpetrator...why would the dispatcher have any other reason to not think it was someone else? To me it seems like caller goes out of their way to already be proving they had no involvement.

JMO as always.
#J4F

Has anyone ever linked the involvement of the Judge sealing the case and his connection to a POI only mentioned by alphabets in case files? Also that judge wasnt even the judge in that district. There is mention of law school students. And someone in this thread mentioned the "how to get away with murder" theory. What was KR relationship with these high profile (lawyers,athletes)? No one's story adds up and LE dragged on investigating these ppl. Why? Did someone intentionally give them time to lawyer up, get rid of evidence, or better yet..plant it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LVTRUCRIME