GUILTY NC - Jason Corbett, 39, murdered in his Wallburg home, 2 Aug 2015 #9

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I agree with most of this post (not sure I agree with if a man hears his daughter scream in middle of night that a dad would run outside rather than directly toward the scream). My basic instinct little thoughts in my head tell me a 65 yr old man (FBI/lawyer) surely did't pre-plan a murder with his daughter and like you said I think they would have come up with a much better plan. So if we continue with the thought TM didn't depart Knoxville with a death plan, the question is...what exact thing happened that brought TM downstairs? I don't think MC and TM sat around dining table and concocted a plan in the early morning hours. I think in fact some noise or bump or scream heard downstairs brought TM down the steps. From that point in my mind MC could have already beaten JC with something (paver or bat). I think it possible a battle did ensue. How/when/where/whom from that point is where I will remain majorly baffled. I still think that would require a manslaughter charge from the state maybe. Yes, I know the evidence indicates overkill and I hate that as much as most of you. But I could understand a huge battle downstairs that night. I haven't been in courtroom hearing evidence but don't think I could convict TM of murder 2. I think I could convict of MS if for no other reason of waiting so long to call LE but I place more blame on MB
I am having more thoughts. I know...this case has me majorly baffled :) I also could strongly see the possibility MC killed a sleeping JC and dad arrived afterwards. Just another reason I have a problem w convicting TC of murder 2

Interesting theory Harmony2 regarding who was using the bat and who was using the brick. Makes sense that Molly knew where the bat was kept in the garage (they never found a second bat). Missed hits with the bat – hitting the wall –wall hit with the bat swinging wildly in rage and Tom having close access to the bricks outside his bedroom/door into the garden. After checking on Molly and seeing what she did, Tom gets the brick, tells Sharon no need to worry as JC is unconscious and they need to finish him off. Then they get a story concocted. How long did this take?
I believe MM started it and TM had to finish it because she had gone too far so guilty of Murder 2 for both as he should have known better and called 911 before he joined in. He is as guilty as she is.

Interestingtheory Harmony2 regarding who was using the bat and who was using thebrick. Makes sense that Molly knew wherethe bat was kept in the garage (they never found a second bat). Missed hits with the bat – hitting the wall –wall hit with the bat swinging wildly in rage and Tom having close access tothe bricks outside his bedroom/door into the garden. After checking on Molly and seeing what shedid, Tom gets the brick, tells Sharon no need to worry as JC is unconscious andthey need to finish him off. Then theyget a story concocted. How long did thistake?
I believe MMstarted it and TM had to finish itbecause she had gone too far so guilty of Murder 2 for both as he should haveknown better and called 911 before he joined in. He is as guilty as she is.
I agree,
It could have taken a couple of hours, actually..

If the jury comes back with a guilty verdict will the defendant/s be held or released until a sentencing hearing?

'Sentencing would only occur same day if defendants waive the scentinging hearing

§ 15A-1334. The sentencing hearing. (a) Time of Hearing. – Unless the defendant waives the hearing, the court must hold ahearing on the sentence. Either the defendant or the State may, upon a showing which the judgedetermines to be good cause, obtain a continuance of the sentencing hearing.

(b) Proceeding at Hearing. – The defendant at the hearing may make a statement in hisown behalf. The defendant and prosecutor may present witnesses and arguments on factsrelevant to the sentencing decision and may cross-examine the other party's witnesses. No personother than the defendant, his counsel, the prosecutor, and one making a presentence report maycomment to the court on sentencing unless called as a witness by the defendant, the prosecutor,or the court. Formal rules of evidence do not apply at the hearing.
http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/EnactedLegislation/Statutes/PDF/ByArticle/Chapter_15A/Article_81.pdf

if the Judge does not order a pre-sentencing report from a probation officer the sentencing phase could begin the next day after conviction.

This is near what I think happened. She started it and he made sure Jason didn't live to testify to that fact and he also helped get a story together
Interesting theory Harmony2 regarding who was using the bat and who was using the brick. Makes sense that Molly knew where the bat was kept in the garage (they never found a second bat). Missed hits with the bat

I think I agree with most of this post (not sure I agree with if a man hears his daughter scream in middle of night that a dad would run outside rather than directly toward the scream). My basic instinct little thoughts in my head tell me a 65 yr old man (FBI/lawyer) surely did't pre-plan a murder with his daughter and like you said I think they would have come up with a much better plan. So if we continue with the thought TM didn't depart Knoxville with a death plan, the question is...what exact thing happened that brought TM downstairs? I don't think MC and TM sat around dining table and concocted a plan in the early morning hours. I think in fact some noise or bump or scream heard downstairs brought TM down the steps. From that point in my mind MC could have already beaten JC with something (paver or bat). I think it possible a battle did ensue. How/when/where/whom from that point is where I will remain majorly baffled. I still think that would require a manslaughter charge from the state maybe. Yes, I know the evidence indicates overkill and I hate that as much as most of you. But I could understand a huge battle downstairs that night. I haven't been in courtroom hearing evidence but don't think I could convict TM of murder 2. I think I could convict of MS if for no other reason of waiting so long to call LE but I place more blame on MB
Don't you mean up the steps. TM came up from the basement?

Is it possible Jason took the bat to bed with him? Maybe they had an argument and he felt someone might start trouble that night so he took it to his bedroom just in case someone made good on a threat. What he didn't know was he wouldn't hear them coming because MM had drugged him. She arrives with the paver to attack him, but upon arrival sees the bat and decides to use both. I think MM was the Mastermind and TM helped her poorly stage it. Probably taking a few postmortem hits on Jason. Jmo.

I see it differently.

This is not a case where the investigators are charging TM and he's denying it. He is telling them he did it.

If his daughter did it or he did it...there were two weapons. Whomever was swinging the bat did not run to get a brick. That bat was doing exactly what they wanted it to do...killing Jason. Two weapons equals two killers...beating a man while he's down.

If we do not know who did what, that is because this FBI man is manipulating the system. He and his wife and daughter sat there, while Jason's body grew cold, and devised the best possible way for them all to get away with murder.

If he is convicted of 2nd degree but only deserves manslaughter...that is ON HIM...not the jury. He chose a manipulative theory to confuse the jurors. That's his fault, his responsibility, his game.

The idea that we or the jury have to see through their smokescreen and play their game ...is not how the law reads and not what justice is. A man is dead...slaughtered...overkill.

Take what you want, says God, and pay for it.

Judge reads a note from the jury asking for a "short break. It's a stressful decision"

Ben coley tweet

Good morning fellow sleuthers!

The prosecution’s closing was extremely powerful from reading the soundbites, snippets and descriptions. I like when a lawyer interjects quotes that resound with the jury and serve as an earworm of sorts. There is the infamous quote that everyone remembers “If it doesn’t fit you must acquit”.

Not that anyone wants to read another theory, particularly mine lol, I will add it to serve as a distraction while we wait for the verdict. Even though premeditation can be formed in an instant, I do not believe that the killing was preplanned with TM ahead of time. I think TM, with all his law enforcement experience and attorney background would have come up with a lot better plan to kill someone that was cleaner and less risky. I believe there are small pieces of his testimony that are true. However, I think it was Molly who was swinging the bat. JC was initially attacked on the bed as he slept and in a daze got out of bed to try to escape the assault. MC kept swinging, making contact but missing a few times pounding the wall and this might have been what awakened TM. Considering he was a guest and did not know where items were kept he exited out to the backyard and grabbed the paving stone. As he entered the master bedroom he might have seen JC approaching MC and grabbing the bat away from her. TM then hits JC with the paving stone a few times.

When asked about the paving stone on the witness stand TM stated he didn’t remember and I think that was his way of distancing himself from it. He said he didn’t recall MC hitting JC with the paving stone and that complies with my theory. He didn’t see it because he was the one with the paving stone.

This theory chimes like a bell with me too. I always thought that TM would be too clued in to pre-plan it this way, but given the circumstances, he believed that his credentials would dazzle the local LE - just like ME apparently tried to at JC's office. But LE in NC are obviously a strong-minded lot! If he'd had a little more time, he'd have thought to slap MM about a bit to give credence to the DV story (thank heaven he didn't!). Then, when the story started to unravel, there was no choice but to stick to it, or see his 'stellar' career end in ignimony.
All MOO.

One question: Does anybody know if defendants tried together like this stay encircled by their own legal teams and do not appear to have anything to do with each other? Strikes me as odd - but then there's a whole lot of odd in this case.

@Ocea
Judge reads a note from the jury asking for a "short break. It's a stressful decision"

Ben coley tweet

'Oceanblueeyes.. did jury juty..
what is it like/?
How is it set up?
a single big table?
I am bogged on how they work?
Do they take a single aspect at a time?

Are refreshments available constantly, teas and coffees?
Do they have an administrative advisor making suggestions on how they should organise themselves?
Is there much more talking/ discussing than silent pondering?

They have not deliberated long at all considering two defendants, two possible verdicts, and the seriousness of the charge.

I'm feeling we may have a verdict today. If not, then something is afoot in the jury room.

They have not deliberated long at all considering two defendants, two possible verdicts, and the seriousness of the charge.

I'm feeling we may have a verdict today. If not, then something is afoot in the jury room.

hmmmmm.
yep

Depends on if you believe TM's testimony in court, or his statement to the Dept of Energy where he identified them having an argument upstairs....I think Harmony has it nailed tbh.

In case participants in Ireland missed it, Alex Rose, who did sterling reporting work over the last few days for Fox8, will be on TV3 News this evening

@AlexRoseNews @myfox8
I'll be talking to fine folks of @TV3Ireland today around 5:30 p.m. "Irish time" about jury deliberations for #CorbettTrial, tune in!

"Is it possible Jason took the bat to bed with him? Maybe they had an argument and he felt someone might start trouble that night so he took it to his bedroom just in case someone made good on a threat. What he didn't know was he wouldn't hear them coming because MM had drugged him. She arrives with the paver to attack him, but upon arrival sees the bat and decides to use both. I think MM was the Mastermind and TM helped her poorly stage it. Probably taking a few postmortem hits on Jason. Jmo. "

I woud'nt but suppose I had to hit somebody, being female, even if they were asleep, I wouldn't have much faith in brick because you are too close to the other person. I would much prefer the bat as it has a longer reach...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member