MISTRIAL NC - Jonathan Ferrell, 24, fatally shot by LE, Charlotte, 14 Sep 2013

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
2nd grand jury indicts officer in shooting of ex-FAMU football player

(CNN) -- A grand jury has indicted Officer Randall Kerrick of the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department on a charge of voluntary manslaughter in the September 14 shooting death of Jonathan Ferrell, according to a statement from state Attorney General Roy Cooper.

The grand jury heard evidence from the state Bureau of Investigation and the police department.

"With the strength of the evidence in this case, we're not surprised," Charles Monnett, an attorney for Ferrell's family, said about Monday's indictment.

"We're all pleased and happy that the process is beginning now and that there's an end in sight," he said. "It is the first step towards justice."

full article at link ............ http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/27/us/north-carolina-police-shooting/

This is FABULOUS news!!! Thank you, grand jury. How odd that the initial decision not to indict was made with a partial panel. That sounds fishy, doesn't it?

Now try the case in Wake or Orange county via a change in venue. We can't trust the system with the goings-on in Mecklenburg regarding this case.

I am so glad the state Attorney General is prosecuting this, and that he pushed for another grand jury. And I'm thrilled that the normal DA recused himself so that our state AG would take it on. AND that the police force charged him so incredibly quickly!

Let's not let our jurors here in NC screw this up (please jurors). Come on! When that many higher ups agree, something's either very corrupt or very right and obvious. This sounds pretty obvious.

At least this once, let the bad cop lose the case, my goodness. It doesn't tarnish all cops, and it sends a terrible message to wannabe bad cops that they so rarely get the punishment they deserve.

Check out the 1st grand jury's quote:

According to a handwritten statement filed with the court, the first grand jury requested that the prosecutor submit a "bill of indictment to a lesser-included or related offense," but the state attorney general said he would resubmit the voluntary manslaughter charge.

No slap on the wrist! Enough!

Is there any estimation on just when this trial will start?? I've been waiting to find out? I still can't believe it's a voluntary manslaughter case..But that's just me..so excuse me..:facepalm:

2 year veteran is NOT a newbie..They were trained..yet still was compelled to shoot 12 shots into someone seeking help...Why is it that ALL BACK MEN :scared: create such fear in white men?? I just don't get that at all??

I haven't heard on trial length but jury selection is expected to last a couple of weeks.

Still photography and video coverage will be allowed in the courtroom when the trial of former CMPD officer Randall Kerrick begins Monday. But Judge Robert Ervin also ruled Friday that live streaming of the trial proceedings will not be permitted, and reporters will not be allowed to make live social media postings from the courtroom.
http://wfae.org/post/sun-headlines-tv-photos-allowed-kerrick-trial-2-die-cornelius-crash

That certainly sucks.

Still photography and video coverage will be allowed in the courtroom when the trial of former CMPD officer Randall Kerrick begins Monday. But Judge Robert Ervin also ruled Friday that live streaming of the trial proceedings will not be permitted, and reporters will not be allowed to make live social media postings from the courtroom.
http://wfae.org/post/sun-headlines-tv-photos-allowed-kerrick-trial-2-die-cornelius-crash

That certainly sucks.

It certainly does.

Ferrell's BAC was 0.6. Even though .08 is considered too drunk to drive, the alcohol would have impaired him some. He was probably tired and sleepy at that time of the morning. He was in a pretty serious crash. I remember running into a ditch back in the early 1970s. It was raining, and I wasn't driving fast. When I rounded a curve, the back end of my car slid into the ditch. The back passenger side of car was damaged, but I wasn't hurt at all. I got out, and a car stopped. I had never seen the person in my life, but I asked him to take me about 1/4 mile away to a house where I knew a principal of one of the county schools lived. I called my parents and told them what had happened, but I couldn't get my husband, who was at his parents' house. I asked the guy to take me to their house so I could get my husband. Their house was about six miles away, but I thought it was only a couple miles. I kept telling that stranger to go faster, but he said he was already speeding on this curvy country road. We passed my husband, but he didn't recognize that guy's car. We turned around and went back to my car. There were my parents, my husband, and a patrolman. The patrolman didn't even give me a ticket. I was stupid, though, to get in a stranger's car. I panicked and left the scene of an accident. I can definitely understand Ferrell's panic because he was in a terrible accident in the middle of the night.

The woman who owned the house was alone with just her baby. The guy had a terrible wreck. Ferrell was driving in the middle of the night after having drunk alcohol. He was in an unfamiliar place, and he was hurt. He banged on the woman's door because he needed help. When she opened the door, she was shocked when she saw what she thought was a crazy stranger trying to break into her house. If Ferrell had started acting normally after the police got there, they wouldn't have tried to use a taser on him. If I had been Kerrick, I would have shot at Ferrell also but NOT 12 shots. That's why I never tried to get a job as a policeman, fireman, or EMT--I panic too easily. I think Kerrick panicked also. There he was in the middle of the night, in the dark, with a big football player running toward him. I think if he had malice in his heart, or killed Ferrell because he was black, he would have waited until he was alone with a black man to kill him. He wouldn't have killed him on purpose in front of those witnesses. Some jobs require people who can remain calm in difficult situations, and Kerrick obviously was not that type of person. From the little I know, I don't think Kerrick is a really bad person. The police department needs some kind of psychologist to determine whether a person has the temperament to be a police officer. We definitely don't need cops who panic easily or who have anger problems.

Kerrick deserves some kind of punishment, but right now I don't think he deserves to spend 20-30 years of his life in prison. When he gets out he definitely needs to find some other line of work. I came on Websleuths to see if anybody was covering this case so I could at least keep up with the tweets about the case, but I saw on here that the judge isn't letting it be covered live and isn't allowing tweets from reporters inside the courtroom. I live NE of Charlotte and wanted to hear all of the details so I could see if I changed my mind after knowing all of the facts.

I just read on a channel 9 (WSOC-TV Charlotte) app that Ferrell yelled, "Shoot me! Shoot me!" to the police that night. The medical examiner will say that Ferrell was on top of Kerrick for most of the 10 shots that night. This is what the defense attorney said during opening statements.

Why don't we wait to hear testimony before assuming Jonathan was responsible for getting himself shot?

I just read on a channel 9 (WSOC-TV Charlotte) app that Ferrell yelled, "Shoot me! Shoot me!" to the police that night. The medical examiner will say that Ferrell was on top of Kerrick for most of the 10 shots that night. This is what the defense attorney said during opening statements.

There is also this evidence to come out:
At his autopsy, Ferrell's DNA was found on Kerrick's uniform from his neck to his feet and on the slide and trigger of the officer's gun. Kerrick's DNA was under Ferrell's fingernails, Greene said.

http://www.policeone.com/officer-sh...ked-before-fatal-shooting-of-man-in-car-crash

Supposedly, after Kerrick SHOT Jonathan 4 times, Kerrick fell, and Jonathan fell near him. (A person might fall if shot 4 times.) Kerrick kept shooting Ferrell. Blood transfer may have occurred.

Maybe we'll see, via the filtered testimony and evidence, whether Jonathan touched the gun. Can't say I'd blame him - if someone was trying to kill me with a gun and I fell close enough to him, I would try to grab the gun.

So far from the (again) filtered testimony I have heard, the defense seems to be attempting to paint a "Reefer Madness" type of scenario. Assassinate the victim's character and blame him. And Sarah McCartney needs some diversity training/desensitization therapy. Her actions and behavior that night were so unfortunate. And that's a massive understatement.

"Emergency medical technician Jonathan Russell Freeze testified about arriving at the scene after Ferrell was shot. He said Ferrell was face down in a ditch and handcuffed. He checked for a pulse in the right wrist and right side of Ferrell’s neck, and then asked police if he could roll him over to check the other side for a pulse. He said he was told no by the officers."
http://m.dailykos.com/story/2015/08/04/1408675/-Jonathan-Ferrell-shot-8x-while-crawling-EMT-testified-police-would-not-let-him-administer-first-aid

just sickening.

EMTs and scene investigators testify in shooting trial of CMPD Officer Kerrick

The 12-member jury has two people who are Latino, three African-American and seven white. Eight are women and four are men. The alternate jurors are all white, and consist of one man and three women.

If convicted, Kerrick faces three to 11 years in prison. He has been on unpaid suspension since the shooting.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/crime/article29931667.html

[h=1]Victim’s behavior dominates opening of CMPD officer’s shooting trial [/h]First day of trial brings emotional testimony from victim’s fiancee

Prosecution argues officer overreacted; defense says Kerrick feared for his life
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/crime/article29909674.html

Photographs of shooting scene trigger commotion in trial of CMPD officer

Jonathan Ferrell’s mother and others walk out as photos show him dead and handcuffed

EMTs describe officer as shocked and with a facial injury

Ferrell was dead when EMTs arrived

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/crime/article29977872.html

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member