GUILTY NC - Laura Ackerson, 27, Kinston, 13 July 2011 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Geez, why didnt he just give the boys to her? If he wanted to move? He still would of had to support them either way! stupid!!!

Stupid for sure. But also, a tremendous amount of power and control involved, IMO.

Plus, I wonder how hard AH was fighting to keep those boys at that point. She's been involved with Grant since the boys were very young (a few have purported perhaps since before the youngest was even born), and has heard over how unfit and unstable LA is as a mother.

If she has any shred of decency in her body, she likely felt pretty protective of those children, especially in light of all the allegations GH was throwing out there. Hence, another problem for Grant. He knows he was full of it, but can't just pull a 180 and relinquish custody. How would he explain that to AH? "False alarm - things are better now!" doesn't quite work, and you can't exactly admit to the mother of your newborn daughter that you were manipulating the system to interfere with your ex's custody rights.

I just wonder how that would work. Assuming there were a time that AH truly believed they were acting in the best interest of the kids, how could GH change that view without showing his true colors? Just a thought...

I agree and from the info available on GH, his narcissistic ways would not have allowed LA to win this battle - it would make him wrong and her right, something his fragile ego could not afford. He could not accept failure to control the custody situation in the way he had wanted all along. Destructive acts (murder) then followed to try to achieve his plans.

I wonder who the poor saps are who were appointed as public defenders for these freaks.

Does anyone know whether they could be tried together or separately? Is either scenario an option? Although, I can't see them standing by each other. Some think they will plead guilty, but I doubt that. Grant's ego is too big, and Amanda will claim postpartum depression (you never know, that could be a variable here) and Grant made her do it. I bet Amanda turns first. Please do not misconstrue this; I have no compassion for AH whatsoever. Just speculating.

Let's hope that there aren't any high profile attorneys to step forward and defend either of these people. I am so cynical about our system after the CA verdict; it scares me that these two could get off on a technicality or some other freaky way. It looks like such a slam dunk case to me, but my faith in the system is broken.

I wonder who the poor saps are who were appointed as public defenders for these freaks.

Does anyone know whether they could be tried together or separately? Is either scenario an option? Although, I can't see them standing by each other. Some think they will plead guilty, but I doubt that. Grant's ego is too big, and Amanda will claim postpartum depression (you never know, that could be a variable here) and Grant made her do it. I bet Amanda turns first. Please do not misconstrue this; I have no compassion for AH whatsoever. Just speculating.

Let's hope that there aren't any high profile attorneys to step forward and defend either of these people. I am so cynical about our system after the CA verdict; it scares me that these two could get off on a technicality or some other freaky way. It looks like such a slam dunk case to me, but my faith in the system is broken.[/QUOTE

Boodles, your words could be my own. I was wondering this morning as I read the N&O who their court appointed attorneys are--and praying that none of the high-flying attorneys will step up and take the case(s) pro bono. I think that would finish me off. As you said, after the CA verdict of 3 weeks ago and the hung jury in the JY trial around the same time, I am very jaded with the judicial system right now. I hope and pray the LE folks both in Raleigh and in Texas have covered their backsides several times over so that there won't be any technical errors when this trial starts. As I said yesterday, the dismemberment aspects of this case are doing a number on me, I just can't stand it.

Very sad! She also calls him her husband. She really did seem to be head over heels with him.

He obviously broke her heart, married another, stole her kids and broke her faith, she rose above it all and worked harder than most have to in their entire lives to get herself back together and in the end he murders her. I hope he rots in h---.

IMO.

Geez, why didnt he just give the boys to her? If he wanted to move? He still would of had to support them either way! stupid!!!

I just wanted to add something. There apparently is a recent Facebook posting he made telling a friend he would be giving the boys to LA and moving to the Virgin Islands, so what you wrote is exactly what he was trying to pawn off in the investigation. He used Facebook to try and show evidence he was going to do just that. Had they not found the body, this would have been a difficult case to prove.

The detectives really did a great job - going to Texas and searching for the body like that, very commendable.

I just wanted to add something. There apparently is a recent Facebook posting he made telling a friend he would be giving the boys to LA and moving to the Virgin Islands, so what you wrote is exactly what he was trying to pawn off in the investigation. He used Facebook to try and show evidence he was going to do just that. Had they not found the body, this would have been a difficult case to prove.

The detectives really did a great job - going to Texas and searching for the body like that, very commendable.

Such an excellent point! I do thing the H's thought they had their bases covered. "We were just visiting family after the birth of my daughter. Oh, my crazy ex? No I haven't seen her - she's been really erratic lately though..."

It takes a really strong ego, IMO, to live under a giant cloud of suscpicion, but I think these two were perfect for the job. I think they truly believed "no body, no case" (or at least no conviction) and figured they had that covered.

Think of all the other cases where bodies haven't been found, or were found so decomposed they lacked evidence. Were the H's any more or less savvy than some of these others? Doubtful. I think this is just an example of some really good police work, and possibly even luck.

For comparison, I'll use Kyron's case. I think LE had a good sense early on where the body was disposed of, but weren't able to find it due to elements. I think the H's figured this would be a similar situation - except they were thwarted by some fast-moving, competent investigators.

Such an excellent point! I do thing the H's thought they had their bases covered. "We were just visiting family after the birth of my daughter. Oh, my crazy ex? No I haven't seen her - she's been really erratic lately though..."

It takes a really strong ego, IMO, to live under a giant cloud of suscpicion, but I think these two were perfect for the job. I think they truly believed "no body, no case" (or at least no conviction) and figured they had that covered.

Think of all the other cases where bodies haven't been found, or were found so decomposed they lacked evidence. Were the H's any more or less savvy than some of these others? Doubtful. I think this is just an example of some really good police work, and possibly even luck.

For comparison, I'll use Kyron's case. I think LE had a good sense early on where the body was disposed of, but weren't able to find it due to elements. I think the H's figured this would be a similar situation - except they were thwarted by some fast-moving, competent investigators.

Apologies for replying to my own post, but I'm having problems editing from my phone. I just wanted to add that the one question I have in this whole scenario, is where the dismemberment occured. I think these two really thought they had their bases covered, so where/how did they handle this - in a way that gave them confidence that no evidence would be found. I know the body was what did them in, but one would think that a blood splatter on a wall locally would be more of a concern than a body they likely assumed to be half eaten by gators 1000 miles away.

Sorry for being graphic, but I wonder about this. The H's were arrested in the middle of the night at his mom's house. Why?

Jmo

But still, how does it happen that Grant, Amanda, the 2 boys and the baby "drop by" for a visit to Richmond, Tx, 1200 miles away, arriving on the 18th and leaving on the 19th (although I do not know if these dates have been substantiated)? And they arrive with a U-Haul and coolers no less. Then, rather than hang out with family, they're in a jon boat at the creek with their coolers?

The more I think about it, the more I think Amanda's family was involved, although probably in an after-the-fact manner. To what degree, I don't know, but I call BS on believing it was "just a visit." How blind could they be?

Apologies for replying to my own post, but I'm having problems editing from my phone. I just wanted to add that the one question I have in this whole scenario, is where the dismemberment occured. I think these two really thought they had their bases covered, so where/how did they handle this - in a way that gave them confidence that no evidence would be found. I know the body was what did them in, but one would think that a blood splatter on a wall locally would be more of a concern than a body they likely assumed to be half eaten by gators 1000 miles away.

Sorry for being graphic, but I wonder about this. The H's were arrested in the middle of the night at his mom's house. Why? Jmo

I believe they killed Laura at Grant's apartment Wednesday night and dismembered her there. Or at the least, they stored her dismembered body there. Grant probably did actually drive to Wilson Friday to "rendezvous with Laura for the kid exchange" (as a CYA only), so they couldn't leave for TX until Saturday morning.

I think they cut her up Wednesday night or Thursday, stored her on ice in the coolers in their apartment, rented the U-Haul, and then left Saturday morning for Texas. The neighbors saw both Grant and Amanda "going back and forth" to the U-Haul. It was parked in the apartment complex parking lot while they loaded it. The neighbors "didn't think much of it...people move in and out everyday" - it's a large complex.

The news reports stating that Grant bought coolers after Laura had been reported missing cannot be correct. Laura wasn't reported missing (to the police) until Grant and Amanda were on their way to or already in Texas.

As to why they were arrested in Kinston, the media was hanging around the Hayes' apartment. All their comings and goings would have been watched at that point. There's no doubt in my mind that Grant and Amanda were holed up at his parents' just waiting for the inevitable "ding dong" of the doorbell. And they needed to be where the kids could be left.

But still, how does it happen that Grant, Amanda, the 2 boys and the baby "drop by" for a visit to Richmond, Tx, 1200 miles away, arriving on the 18th and leaving on the 19th (although I do not know if these dates have been substantiated)? And they arrive with a U-Haul and coolers no less. Then, rather than hang out with family, they're in a jon boat at the creek with their coolers?

The more I think about it, the more I think Amanda's family was involved, although probably in an after-the-fact manner. To what degree, I don't know, but I call BS on believing it was "just a visit." How blind could they be?

I've been wondering about this too - though the family definitely ratted them out fairly quickly.

I do think they were the key to cracking this case, as they likely pointed investigators to exactly where the H's were suspiciously tooling around in the boat.

But, why? Unwitting accomplices who immediately cracked when LE showed up? Or, were they already kind of suspicious of why those two were so anxious to take a boat ride, and why (I hope to God) the kids weren't welcome on the adventure.

I've been wondering about this too - though the family definitely ratted them out fairly quickly.

I do think they were the key to cracking this case, as they likely pointed investigators to exactly where the H's were suspiciously tooling around in the boat.

But, why? Unwitting accomplices who immediately cracked when LE showed up? Or, were they already kind of suspicious of why those two were so anxious to take a boat ride, and why (I hope to God) the kids weren't welcome on the adventure.

I'm starting to think that at least one of the family members might not have been "unwitting." They did not reach out to contact law enforcement. Law enforcement contacted them. And they cooperated, apparently, with the request to search. Why? FEAR.

Who comes 1200 miles to visit with a U-Haul and 3 young children and stays at most 48 hours and spends their time at the creek across the street???? No, this stinks to high heaven.

ETA: Maybe: 1) Amanda told her sister the story and the sister agreed that the body be dumped there; 2) Maybe Amanda told her sister the story and it was the sister's idea to bring the body to TX to the creek with the alligator; or, 3) maybe the sister was told by Amanda: "Listen, we have a problem and need to come down there. Don't ask any questions and keep out of it, but we need to come to your house to take care of something."

Right! I don't see how they would have thought nothing of a boat ride in a creek full of weeds and lilpads, they also must have realized they were getting some coolers out of that uhaul. They totally knew but were not going to jail if the cops showed up!

Boodles, just from the tiny bit we've learned so far about these two, I don't think they'll be able to turn on each other fast enough. I do think, however, as much as GH seems to love himself, he'll be the first to flip and probably has told his version of what happened, to the detail, already. I bet he couldn't wait to start talking in an attempt to save his sorry skin.

Maybe being seperated from her newborn will encourage some cooperation from AH. At any rate, I don't see this a case that will drag on for years and years. Somebody will make a deal quick, IMO, and be the star witness against the other.

Rockit, what would your opinion be? Think they'll turn on each other? If so, who do you think will sing (pun not intended) first?

After watching the local Texas news provided by your links above, I watched the video on the same screen about the 5 day old missing baby. Thank goodness they found him. That mother needs to rot in a jail cell along with the H. couple. She has already had 3 other children taken away from her. .... and now this 5 day old baby that she apparently 'gave' to somebody she didn't even know the last name of.
BTW, thanks for the Hayes Texas news links.

Hi everyone--I'm within 45 miles of Kinston, NC & have been following the thread since it was first reported on our local news. I wanted to first thank you all so much for all of the insight put into this thread. I've learned so much that has not been reported on the news.

Earlier in the thread, someone asked if the arrest warrants were able to be viewed. Here is a link to them on one of our local news websites. You will find the link to the left of the videoplayer, just above the "recommend to Facebook" link.

http://www.witn.com/home/headlines/125806993.html

I believe they killed Laura at Grant's apartment Wednesday night and dismembered her there. Or at the least, they stored her dismembered body there. Grant probably did actually drive to Wilson Friday to "rendezvous with Laura for the kid exchange" (as a CYA only), so they couldn't leave for TX until Saturday morning.

I think they cut her up Wednesday night or Thursday, stored her on ice in the coolers in their apartment, rented the U-Haul, and then left Saturday morning for Texas. The neighbors saw both Grant and Amanda "going back and forth" to the U-Haul. It was parked in the apartment complex parking lot while they loaded it. The neighbors "didn't think much of it...people move in and out everyday" - it's a large complex.

(snipped by me)

I've been wondering about where they did the dismemberment (sorry!) also. G&A were in an apartment complex, so they couldn't just haul everything out in the yard and do it there. Maybe they did it in their apartment, but wouldn't someone notice the sound of an electric saw coming from their apartment? The earlier post in this thread about someone seeing LE types with gloves going into LA's apartment makes me wonder if they did their work there (although that brings the neighbor risk again.) GH's parents have a pretty good sized home (NOT saying they had anything to do with it!) Just thinking about where someone who lives in an apartment complex would do this kind of work with the least amount of risk.

A little off topic, but does anyone have additional info about the location of the dump spot? I know we're talking about 60 miles south of Houston, but I'm looking for more specifics. I want to "sleuth" this further (read: satisfy my own curiosity) to get a better sense of location/isolation. My gut still says they chose this spot on purpose, but I want to see for myself if it would seem to me like that good of a spot (a ton of houses around to potentially smell decomp vs. a remote area, for instance). I wonder if they chose it because checking out the area online - say google maps - could be explained away by trying to find her sister's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HollyMcKee