Found Deceased NC - Raul Johnson, 4, Laurinburg, 24 January 2018

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Maybe I'm jaded after following threads such as this one for so many, many years but I never trust reporter accounts on such a subject as this. Until LE has stated that the charges were dropped, I will continue to believe that she is out of jail and that is all. JMO

I'm leaning to them being dropped only because she was allowed to reside in the home with juveniles.

I think they need to look further. These little ones who wander are almost always found about a half mile further than anyone thought they could go.
IF thats the case here

On Thursday, Kersey questioned the wisdom of dropping charges against Johnson, which included five felony counts of child abuse by sexual assault, eight felony counts of accessory after the fact of indecent liberties, and one felony count of forcible sex offense.
“(Gonzales) was charged with actually committing the crimes,” Kersey said, with Johnson being charged as an accessory.
The Scotland County Department of Social Services also has been involved with the family, removing the Johnson children from their mother’s custody several times.

http://www.yourdailyjournal.com/new...sts-in-search-for-missing-scotland-county-boy

Gonzales and Johnson both were charged in September on a total of 21 counts of child sex abuse. Gonzales remains in custody in the Scotland County Detention Center. Johnson was released after charges against her were dismissed for lack of evidence.

On Thursday, Kersey questioned the wisdom of dropping charges against Johnson, which included five felony counts of child abuse by sexual assault, eight felony counts of accessory after the fact of indecent liberties, and one felony count of forcible sex offense.
“(Gonzales) was charged with actually committing the crimes,” Kersey said, with Johnson being charged as an accessory.
The Scotland County Department of Social Services also has been involved with the family, removing the Johnson children from their mother’s custody several times.

http://www.yourdailyjournal.com/new...sts-in-search-for-missing-scotland-county-boy

Oh my God, and they allowed this woman to have her children back? That is mind boggling!

I'm not so sure "wandering" and "exploring" are a privilege if the kid ends up missing or dead.

Of course it’s not! It’s just unfortunate that childhood has been altered so dramatically that children no longer can ramble on their own property. My children DID, their children will not.

Of course it’s not! It’s just unfortunate that childhood has been altered so dramatically that children no longer can ramble on their own property. My children DID, their children will not.

But he wasn't on his property- he wandered away from it. He's only four years old- they get confused easily at that age. If you give a child a chance, they will just keep going and going until they get tired, hungry or thirsty. Most kids are drawn towards the woods and water, especially kids that love the outdoors. But no matter how many times a child that age has been to the same area with Mom or Dad, once they are alone, their sense of freedom multiplies, and they do things they not supposed to do, such as go in the water to look for fish or something. This is why parents have to be on top of kids, when they're alone, they do their own exploring in spite of parents telling them to never do something, and it's often dangerous exploring.

My children were allowed to explore, but my husband and i were always with them. They learned young to respect the water, they were great swimmers, but never were they allowed to go alone in the water, and it's the parent's job or whoever is in charge of taking care of them to be responsible for their whereabouts. Maybe some parents are more luckier than others and their children made it to adulthood without any incidents, but I know of many kids who were not so lucky.

. The Scotland County Department of Social Services also has been involved with the family, removing the Johnson children from their mother’s custody several times.

Several times?!
Interesting, but not surprising.
How likely is it that all of these times were a result of the sexual abuse charges that occurred in September or is it more likely that the removals were at other times for other reasons?

From your link:

Scotland County Sheriff Ralph Kersey said Thursday evening that "we're in the process of setting up all that we need at different locations so that we can work this from an investigative side."

The FBI and the SBI have joined the effort along with numerous local agencies and volunteers.

Starting Friday morning, Kersey said, his office, along with the SBI, and FBI will shift from search-and-rescue to an "investigative approach."

Asked whether he thought Raul was alive, the sheriff said, "By faith, I believe the little boy is still alive and that's what I have to stand on."

The weather forecast for Laurinburg says tonight's low will be 28 F. I appreciate the sheriff's optimism but sadly two days in the cold is working against little Raul's chances of survival. I'm afraid we're going to see the status changed to "recovery" soon. :tears:

It's sounding as if it may be irrelevant at this point, but mention has been made of him having a history of roaming. Isn't that one of the characteristics of autism? I haven't seen that mentioned anywhere but it just struck me when I saw that he was a roamer. If that is the case, he would have needed to be watched even more closely.

Sent from my SCH-I435L using Tapatalk

My hinky meter is going off a bit with this one.

attachment.php

Attachments

• hinkymeter.gif
    hinkymeter.gif
    659 KB · Views: 410
Sadly me too. Another child who was allowed freedom (too much?? Who knows) to explore his world and seemed to have a routine too his day. Some are lucky some aren’t. My children were allowed to explore their/our world. Maybe, sadly, they were the last generation to have that they are now in mid. 30’s to 30. I’m glad they had that privilege.

Starting at maybe age 8 years of age or so, my children were able to go about our property to care for animals that they had and play. They stayed on our property (2.5 acres) and enjoyed that freedom. There were limits of course. But NOT at 4 years old. Children that young should be supervised at all time IMO.

It's sounding as if it may be irrelevant at this point, but mention has been made of him having a history of roaming. Isn't that one of the characteristics of autism? I haven't seen that mentioned anywhere but it just struck me when I saw that he was a roamer. If that is the case, he would have needed to be watched even more closely.

I have a daughter who was a wanderer, and she is not autistic. There's been no mention of his medical background- I would think if he had such and issue, it would be mentioned in the alert.

That can be common with children (or even adults) who are on the spectrum, so that is possible.

A few pages back there were quotes from the Sheriff's interview and he said something about how after talking to neighbors, those children roamed a lot. So, I understood that to mean it was many children in the household (or at least 2+) known to do this, not just Raul.

Starting at maybe age 8 years of age or so, my children were able to go about our property to care for animals that they had and play. They stayed on our property (2.5 acres) and enjoyed that freedom. There were limits of course. But NOT at 4 years old. Children that young should be supervised at all time IMO.

Same here. Too much can happen to them unattended. I'm all for allowing children freedom and choices in their young lives, but they have to be within reason. Freedom to roam the yard while you are there (or a responsible adult), sure, but I also caution the age of kids when allowing this. Some disappear right in plain sight- you turn your head for a second to answer a question, and BOOM! They're gone. Amazing how a child can slip away so fast, so quietly, when they want to. So, yes, let them have fun and some freedom, but keep your eye on them at all times and don't get distracted. Even some of the best parents out there lose a child to accidental drownings and other horrible deaths.

Does anyone remember the little boy this past year that walked away from home at night and made it at least a mile or so away where he was found dead in a vehicle days later? Lots of searches and lots of water ... I want to say he may have been barefoot too. Anyway, this case is reminding me so much of him and it bothers me that I can't remember the little angel's name. Does anyone recall the case I'm talking about?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Does anyone remember the little boy this past year that walked away from home at night and made it at least a mile or so away where he was found dead in a vehicle days later? Lots of searches and lots of water ... I want to say he may have been barefoot too. Anyway, this case is reminding me so much of him and it bothers me that I can't remember the little angel's name. Does anyone recall the case I'm talking about?

Are you talking about Michael Kingsbury? He got into an unlocked car & couldn't get out. The weather was really hot. 😞 I am friends with his mom on FB.

I can’t get past this roaming thing. At four. Kids at four don’t have a history of roaming. Parents have a history of LETTING their kids roam at four. I think I am a pretty free range parent, compared to some, but I still cannot understand that anyone would think it’s ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Several times?!
Interesting, but not surprising.
How likely is it that all of these times were a result of the sexual abuse charges that occurred in September or is it more likely that the removals were at other times for other reasons?

In the last years I have become very ashamed of North Carolina's apparent lack of concern over children being abused and neglected.

That was Titus Tackett from Missouri. Happened not too long after Noah Chamberlain went missing while on a hike with his grandmother and sister in Tennessee. Titus' story broke my heart, he froze to death in a neighbor's van further down the road.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
martin andreasen
Back