Found Deceased NC - Raul Johnson, 4, Laurinburg, 24 January 2018

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Does anyone remember the little boy this past year that walked away from home at night and made it at least a mile or so away where he was found dead in a vehicle days later? Lots of searches and lots of water ... I want to say he may have been barefoot too. Anyway, this case is reminding me so much of him and it bothers me that I can't remember the little angel's name. Does anyone recall the case I'm talking about?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Titus Tackett? I think he climbed in to a minivan, if I remember correctly.

I can’t get past this roaming thing. At four. Kids at four don’t have a history of roaming. Parents have a history of LETTING their kids roam at four. I think I am a pretty free range parent, compared to some, but I still cannot understand that anyone would think it’s ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree completely. I don't even let my 5-yr-old play in our gated yard unattended. He could fall & hit his head; there are too many things that could happen.

I'm leaning to them being dropped only because she was allowed to reside in the home with juveniles.

At this time I'm baffled that she is in the same home as the children. I'm not feeling warm and fuzzy about this.

I am so angry this mother was allowed to have her children back. Maybe if they went to a good foster home, Raul wouldn't be out wandering by himself and more than likely no longer with us.

4 years old is way to young IMO to be given free roam.
I still can't find out where the neighbor lives. I don't know if the media has give out the exact address yet ( I found it on the prayers to bring Raul Johnson home safe page). I really want to see the distance on a map between the home and neighbor. I can't get google street view on my amazon fire to even find out by checking the trailers against the neighbors in the video.

4 years old is way to young IMO to be given free roam.
I still can't find out where the neighbor lives. I don't know if the media has give out the exact address yet ( I found it on the prayers to bring Raul Johnson home safe page). I really want to see the distance on a map between the home and neighbor. I can't get google street view on my amazon fire to even find out by checking the trailers against the neighbors in the video.

Someone shared the address here on the thread earlier. Someone mentioned that it looked like the area had a lot of modular type homes I believe. Did any look on google maps to see how close the neighbors house is?

I feel like I’ve read too many of these now to have much hope... For some reason this one is really upsetting me. Regardless of what has happened in this latest incident it sounds like little Raul’s life has been/was/is fraught. The charges against the mother and boyfriend are heinous. So many little ones placed in dangerous and neglectful situations. Being a mom i just can’t imagine how people can do this to their children.

I am so angry this mother was allowed to have her children back. Maybe if they went to a good foster home, Raul wouldn't be out wandering by himself and more than likely no longer with us.

It sounds like Sheriff Kersey wasn't too happy with the decision to drop the charges against mom:

Kersey has not ruled out any factors, including custodial interference. Investigators have checked surveillance videos from neighbors’ security systems and spoken with the child’s father, Carlos Juan Gonzales.

Gonzales and Johnson were both arrested in September on 21 total counts of child sex abuse. Gonzales remains in custody in the Scotland County Detention Center, but Johnson was released.

Kersey questioned the decision to drop the charges against Johnson that initially included five felony counts of child abuse by sexual assault, eight felony counts of accessory after the fact indecent liberties, and one felony count of forcible sex offense

“(Gonzales) was charged with actually committing the crimes,” Kersey said. “She was charged with accessory to the crimes, and how you have one without the other when you’re living in the same household surprises me.”

According to an official with the Scotland County District Attorney, the charges against Johnson were not dropped by the DA’s office. The case against Johnson was dismissed by a judge because of a lack of evidence.

“There was a hearing in court and the court ruled that there was insufficient evidence and no probable cause to support the case,” the official said. “There was a legal finding by the court. Witnesses testified and didn’t implicate her. There was a full trial.”

There are also ongoing cases open on the child’s family by the Scotland County Department of Social Services, and the children have been removed by DSS from Johnson’s custody on several occasions.

April Snead, director of DSS, declined to comment on the case citing confidentiality rules. Snead would only speak in generalities as to Child Protective Service procedures.

http://www.laurinburgexchange.com/top-stories/13737/search-continues-for-missing-scotland-boy

Sheriff Kersey basically said what we often say here - that it's hard to accept a mother could live in a household where her children were being abused and not be aware of it.

I watched the interview with Raul's mom and I can't get a good reading on her like I have in other cases. We still don't have information on who all lives in the family home - it sounds like mom, the kids and the grandfather - nothing has been stated in msm about any other people living there.

So until we get more information I'm going to treat Raul's case as if he really did wander off in anger after fighting with his sister. I do have suspicions but nothing to support them for now.

I just hope he's found alive.

Even though I'm on the fence between misadventure and foul play, something just seems strange here.

1030am was the visit to the neighbours.
1130 he was noticed missing.
Then they 'searched' for an hour.
I would say the 2pm time mentioned was when they called to report it.
So, 1030am - 2pm (imo)
That's lots of time...to do...stuff.
Also lots of time to drown in a pond.
I dunno.

Maybe Raul was hurt in some way before being made to go next door for his candy. The lady said it was unusual for him to not talk to her, maybe they threatened him so he wouldn't. But they needed a sighting of him out and about, then they could just say he never returned. (whoever 'they' is...I'm half unsure)

Mum said she left work as soon as she got the call he was missing...wonder what time that was? Did she say? :thinking:

(Snipped for emphasis)

I watched the interview with Raul's mom and I can't get a good reading on her like I have in other cases. We still don't have information on who all lives in the family home - it sounds like mom, the kids and the grandfather - nothing has been stated in msm about any other people living there.

So until we get more information I'm going to treat Raul's case as if he really did wander off in anger after fighting with his sister. I do have suspicions but nothing to support them for now.

I just hope he's found alive.

I found an obit for the grandmother. So it it might just be mom, children and grandfather living there. The mom's family is Lumbee and they often have generations living together. Also they often have extended family members living nearby.

There are a lot of modular/mobile homes in the area.

Have they taken the sister away and placed her in foster care for the time being?

After reading the articles about the mother- I don't understand how she was able to keep her children and now one is missing. According to one news article, Raul has a habit of wandering off in the past. Perhaps the grandfather can't keep track of him- is this the first time he's wandered off under his care, or has the mother or someone else allowed him to wander off in the past?

I'd like to know how close the neighbor's home was where he went for cookies and candy everyday. If it's just a few feet away door to door, and it's next door, I might understand the daily routine, but if it's across the street, no way would I allow my 4 year old child to cross by themselves.

Keeping little Raul in my thoughts and prayers. What really stinks is that there are so many couples out there that would do anything to have a child, while parents like these abuse and neglect them and don't realize what a precious gift that they've been given.

I wonder how many more children the mother has. Personally, I feel that she shouldn't have custody of them ever again. Not after what I read in those articles. So sick!

I believe he may be a Native American. I went down a deep rabbit hole on Facebook last night and the Mom’s family has a lot of Native Pride posts on their pages. Not sure which tribe.

I am guessing Lumbee tribe,from the area.I have been to many pow wows in this area and all over NC. As for the hispanic name,some Lumbees are mixed race.Could be Catawba being close to SC border.

I need to know if all houses underneath have been searched, IOW under houses.

Ryan Breslin
‏@RyBrez
47m47 minutes ago
More
Sheriff Kersey says divers did not find Raul Johnson in the pond by his home but is draining the pond. @SpecNewsRDU
Ryan Breslin
‏
@RyBrez
47m47 minutes ago
More
“I’m not going to leave with any doubt in my mind or any other officers mind. It’s not that the divers didn’t do a good job but he’s a small child, weighs about thirty five pounds, and if I don’t drain, if we don’t drain it, then that doubt will always be there,” said Kersey.

https://twitter.com/RyBrez

No real updates. So far divers haven't found anything in the pond. I believe LE is still draining the pond while continuing to conduct an investigation into Raul's home life.

I'm trying to find out if volunteers are still searching.

ETA: This is the area:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/P...c9fc812f048977!8m2!3d34.6743352!4d-79.4670046

BREAKING: Please share to help bring Raul Johnson home safely! He was last seen traveling on foot towards Crestline Road in Laurinburg, NC.

>>> snipped photo - save space <<<

https://www.facebook.com/foxcarolinanews/posts/10156100706394166

Thanks, pink, for starting this thread -- I grew up 35 miles from Laurinburg, and have several friends from there as well. Now we're all in places far-ish from there.

Holding my breath for this darling boy and his family...

That's what I was afraid of. Were his parents ever involved in drugs by any chance? Just thinking out loud here. If they believe he's been abducted, it would appear to me that LE has some kind of information that is causing them to lean this way, instead of him just wandering off.

I won't lie, my stomach is in knots at the thoughts of that poor darling being abducted by some monster.

Ryan Breslin
&#8207;@RyBrez
47m47 minutes ago
More
Sheriff Kersey says divers did not find Raul Johnson in the pond by his home but is draining the pond. @SpecNewsRDU
Ryan Breslin
&#8207;
@RyBrez
47m47 minutes ago
More
&#8220;I&#8217;m not going to leave with any doubt in my mind or any other officers mind. It&#8217;s not that the divers didn&#8217;t do a good job but he&#8217;s a small child, weighs about thirty five pounds, and if I don&#8217;t drain, if we don&#8217;t drain it, then that doubt will always be there,&#8221; said Kersey.

https://twitter.com/RyBrez

No real updates. So far divers haven't found anything in the pond. I believe LE is still draining the pond while continuing to conduct an investigation into Raul's home life.

I'm trying to find out if volunteers are still searching.

ETA: This is the area:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/P...c9fc812f048977!8m2!3d34.6743352!4d-79.4670046

What a wonderful Sheriff, props to him for not stopping until he finds out what happened to Raul. I hope he finds answers soon.

I need to know if all houses underneath have been searched, IOW under houses.

Hi Cherry! I think at least some houses were searched underneath:

Some family members, including Ellen Locklear and Bonnie Bearden, of South Carolina, also searched in the woods, fields and among the nearby homes Wednesday. Raul is Lockear’s nephew and Bearden’s cousin.

“Under the houses, in the barns, in little drain pipes that’s in the ditches,” Bearden said. “We’ve looked everywhere.”

Locklear said she hopes Raul found shelter from the cold in a neighbor’s house.

“That’s all I’m worried about, is if he’s warm,” she said. “And I pray to God that if he’s up in these woods that God be’s with him, takes care of him. And he’s alive, where he is, to go find him.”

http://www.fayobserver.com/news/20180125/weve-looked-everywhere-search-for-missing-boy-continues

More from the article:

Raul had wandered away on Tuesday, the sheriff said during the news conference, but family found him within 25 to 30 minutes.

The sheriff said cadaver dogs are also part of the search, but they have not picked up on anything.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
martin andreasen
Back