Found Deceased NC - Stephanie Mayorga, 27, & Paige Escalera, 25, Wilmington, 15 Apr 2020

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
And where would they be going at 9pm on a Friday night with everything shut down?
A convenience store to get beer?
JMO

They could have just been going for a drive? We do this occasionally, and with there being a lockdown, sometimes drives are ways to get out of the house and do 'something' while keeping social distance.

My guess is what others have been saying, I think it's most likely an undiscovered car accident. JMO Still hoping I'm wrong and there is a happy ending.

I have to agree that this is either an accident or a sale gone bad. Do we know where the cell was located at in the apt? Was it on a charger? This might explain leaving it behind if you're headed out for a quick trip. MOO

I listened to the CTV report. I'm guessing they have found the car on video somewhere in Brunswick County or an eyewitness has come forward.
According to Google looks like that is somewhere around 40 minutes away from their apartment.
خرائط ‪Google‬‏‏
From their apartment to the Brunswick County line is about 25 miles.

I read there were storms on/about April 14 in Brunswick County resulting in some property damage (downed trees, etc)... would this increase the likelihood water levels were higher and possibly required a bit more care when traveling? (Which is tough to do when possibly driving impaired - slightly or otherwise).

I actually lean towards something nefarious happening to these two but... ???
Highway 17 south is the route from Wilmington into Brunswick and on to Myrtle Beach. There has been no problem with water.

I guess another possible scenario is that one of the women hurt/killed the other and is now on the run. This is all just MOO and I am not saying I am even going with this theory, just throwing out another possibility along with car accident, foul play, etc.

I read there were storms on/about April 14 in Brunswick County resulting in some property damage (downed trees, etc)... would this increase the likelihood water levels were higher and possibly required a bit more care when traveling? (Which is tough to do when possibly driving impaired - slightly or otherwise).

I actually lean towards something nefarious happening to these two but... ???
Very severe weather, several tornadoes in the area around that time, not sure if is was the 15th or not.

This hits close to home as I am gay, around the same age but also have a partner named Stephanie...
My very first reaction is that this was something domestic- the phone being left as well as the cutting off of family and very close loved ones, as well as the domestic charge in January, I just can't help that thought. I won't deny maybe a little of my own experience with abusive ex brought me to that thought first.
Then, however, came the DUI charges for BOTH of them, and leaving with a beer in hand when its been made pretty clear you're having an issue with alcohol... I keep going back to car accident as well.
My partner, however, thinks they ran into foul play at the hands of a likely bigoted and/or jealous person, being gay, Latina and in NC might be difficult? someone they knew that might have been harassing them hence the social media cutoffs?
Many different theories (and all are jmoo) but I very sadly do not have a theory that they are still alive and that breaks my heart :(

I guess another possible scenario is that one of the women hurt/killed the other and is now on the run. This is all just MOO and I am not saying I am even going with this theory, just throwing out another possibility along with car accident, foul play, etc.
If one killed the other, I'm guessing it would be very likely that it was a murder-suicide scenario. For some reason, this case reminds me of the Hart family but without the children (thank God!).

Very severe weather, several tornadoes in the area around that time, not sure if is was the 15th or not.

I looked up the weather for Brunswick County 4/14 and 4/15 through the archives of the weather channel. 4/14 showed less than an inch of precipitation and mid sixties temperatures. 4/15 showed no precipitation, temps in the low 50's and strong wind gusts up to 32 MPH.

I'm not seeing tornado watches or warnings there during this particular time though.

This hits close to home as I am gay, around the same age but also have a partner named Stephanie...
My very first reaction is that this was something domestic- the phone being left as well as the cutting off of family and very close loved ones, as well as the domestic charge in January, I just can't help that thought. I won't deny maybe a little of my own experience with abusive ex brought me to that thought first.
Then, however, came the DUI charges for BOTH of them, and leaving with a beer in hand when its been made pretty clear you're having an issue with alcohol... I keep going back to car accident as well.
My partner, however, thinks they ran into foul play at the hands of a likely bigoted and/or jealous person, being gay, Latina and in NC might be difficult? someone they knew that might have been harassing them hence the social media cutoffs?
Many different theories (and all are jmoo) but I very sadly do not have a theory that they are still alive and that breaks my heart :(

All good theories. Unfortunately...since we can't just focus in on one or two.
<modsnip: There is nothing to substantiate any speculation re drug involvement.>

The whole 'blocking of friends' thing really has my attention. I'm have trouble letting go of that fact, along with the incredible speed of their relationship. I believe that the answer lies somewhere in there. I don't think it was a car accident. They would have been found by now.

Last edited by a moderator:
<modsnip: There is nothing to substantiate any speculation re drug involvement.> I’ve also been thinking about the apartment they rented. I realize they were just starting out in their life together. But you have one into selling watches online - this makes me think they were hard up for cash. They’ve rented - not an apartment per se - but basically just a bedroom for the two of them and a dog. Blocking old friends on social media. The type of work they were doing sounds like temp work, the sort someone gets at Labor Ready and the like. When I add all that up I just don’t feel like things were going as well as the two of them projected.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, there is plenty of water throughout the county. East of 17 is the Intracoastal Waterway and ocean and to the west of that highway is a lot of swampland. Pretty dark, desolate stretches of highway on the latter and spotty cell service. This is all in conjunction with several rivers scattered throughout.
Thank you for the confirm on that. :) It's another possibility. If not criminal, accidental. It's been known to happen.

I looked up the weather for Brunswick County 4/14 and 4/15 through the archives of the weather channel. 4/14 showed less than an inch of precipitation and mid sixties temperatures. 4/15 showed no precipitation, temps in the low 50's and strong wind gusts up to 32 MPH.

I'm not seeing tornado watches or warnings there during this particular time though.

My previous post was regarding weather in Brunswick Co (as there were posts stating the car may have been seen in the area), and I saw a news report (dated 4/13) linked below. But, now I suppose the storms on the 13th didn't interfere with their travel. (Just clarifying where I got the weather info) :)

Tree falls on Brunswick County home during strong storms - WWAY TV

The simplest scenario is that 2 women with recent DWI arrests who left to go for a drive with a beer in hand (not sure if the beer has been confirmed) had an automobile accident and are in the water.

This is my preferred theory at the moment. Before the images of them leaving, I was leaning towards murder suicide.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ClueCrusader
Back